Churches & Chapels

F



A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z


Fairfield Catholic Church, Hebden BridgeRef 5-289
Built 1895. The church is no longer used

Fairfield Primitive Methodist Church, HalifaxRef 5-291
Queens Road. Built in 18??. Recorded in 1876.

Details of the organ in the Church can be found in the National Pipe Organ Register.

In 1890, it was used as a joiners' shop and pattern store by Hartley & Sugden.

In 1977, it merged with Pellon Methodist Church to become Highgate Wesleyan Church.

In 1977, the church was reconsecrated and became the Ukrainian Church of Holy Protection, Halifax

Fall Lane Methodist Chapel, HartsheadRef 5-F96
Opened in 1880, earlier meetings were held in a meeting house in Hartshead. The building was demolished in 1966

Fall Spring Graveyard, StainlandRef 5-653
Fall Spring Gardens. This is now a part of the Stainland Graveyard.

The burial ground had its own mortuary.

The burial ground is still [2013] in use

Finkil Chapel, Hove EdgeRef 5-162
Stood at the junction of Finkil Street and Well Green Lane. A chapel and Sunday school were built in 1863 and opened on 15th November 1863 as a branch of Park Chapel, Brighouse. In 1882, it became independent of Park Chapel and was succeeded by the Zion Methodist Free Chapel, Hove Edge. It was converted into 3 cottages

First Church of Christ Scientist, HalifaxRef 5-511
Savile Lodge. Dedicated on 14th January 1917.

See Church of Christ Scientist

Foster Chapel, Lightcliffe ChurchRef 5-525
The Foster Chapel in St Matthew's Church, Lightcliffe commemorates Major Johnston Jonas Foster and his family, and has the arms of the Foster family and the Stansfield family. Many members of the family are buried beneath the chapel

Foster Lane Methodist Church, Hebden BridgeRef 5-148
Wesleyan Methodist Church designed by W. H. Cockcroft. The 2 towers of the church had 2 distinctive Russian domes. The church and school were opened on 28th June 1905 by Miss Ethel Lord of Stubbin House. It replaced the Tin Mission, Hebden Bridge

On 4th April 1908, a new organ was opened. Andrew Carnegie paid half of the cost of £550.

Ministers here have included

In 1962, a consequence of falling membership, Cross Lanes Methodists, Foster Lane Methodists, and Salem Wesleyan Methodists amalgamated to form the new Hebden Bridge Methodist Church.

The church was demolished in 1960s.

Highfield Crescent, Hebden Bridge stands on land next to the site of the Chapel.

See Foster Lane Methodist Memorial, Hebden Bridge and Foster Lane Sunday School Memorial Hebden Bridge

Franciscan Convent, HalifaxRef 5-434
21 New Bond Street. Recorded in 1905.

See Rev Mother Dominic

Friendly Wesleyan Methodist ChapelRef 5-666
Burnley Road / Water Hill Lane.

It was built in 1837, and (possibly) rebuilt in 1890.

The choir members formed the Friendly Brass Band in 1868.

A Sunday School is recorded in 1894.

 
Ministers at the Chapel have included


 

The Chapel is now a private house

See Friendly Wesleyan Methodist Chapel Memorial

Friends Burial Ground, EllandRef 5-608

Friends Burial Ground, HalifaxRef 5-609

Friends Burial Ground, HartsheadRef 5-610

Friends Burial Ground, Highroad WellRef 5-611

Friends Burial Ground, RastrickRef 5-612

Friends Burial Ground, ShoebroadRef 5-613

Friends Burial Ground, ShoreRef 5-614

Friends Burial Ground, Sowerby BridgeRef 5-615

Friends Meeting House, HalifaxRef 5-F279
6 Clare Road. The purpose-built Quaker meeting house was constructed in 1743. It superseded the Friends Meeting House, Highroad Well.

It was a large single-room building.

The building was extended in 1786 and around 1850.

Around 1812, it was used by the Adult School Movement.

It was used continuously for Quaker meetings until 1990. By that time, the building had fallen into disrepair and the group could not manage to keep it going.

It closed in 1990 and was sold to Shire Training, based at Dean Clough, for use as a nursery. The Quakers moved out and subsequently held their meetings in a variety of locations.

In 2004, the building was sold to Dr Mary Howard, of the 3D Centre. It was used in supporting the education of young children. A mezzanine floor was constructed and a conference room and a number of smaller rooms were created.

In 2007, the Quakers moved back into the building, renting the conference room from Dr Howard.

In 2009, the building was sold to the Community Foundation for Calderdale. The building is now home to the Quakers, SCOPE and the Pre-School Learning Alliance.

In 2009, the building was registered as a place of religious worship and the conference room designated a Meeting Room for the Quakers.

See Friends Adult School, Halifax and Society of Friends Burial Ground, Halifax

Friends Meeting House, HeptonstallRef 5-845
Built in 1736. This was the first Nonconformist place of worship in Heptonstall

Friends Meeting House, Highroad WellRef 5-F125
539-541 Gibbet Street. The Halifax Quakers met in Highroad Well from 1678.

A Meeting House was built in 1693.

In 1743, it was superseded by Halifax Meeting House, Clare Road.

In 1920, the building and the burial ground were sold.

The building is now a private house

Friends Meeting House, RastrickRef 5-396
Birds Royd. Snake Hill Meeting House was built around 1650.

It was superseded by Newlands Meeting House which was built in 1868.

See Brighouse & Rastrick Bible Society, Quaker Burial Ground, Brighouse and The Cooper family of Brighouse

Friends Meeting House, SowerbyRef 5-852
Quarry Hill.

Established by a group who left Sowerby Congregational Church

Friends Meeting House, Sowerby BridgeRef 5-658
The house at 54 Sowerby Street was the last meeting house for the Quakers of Sowerby Bridge.

The building is dated ISS 1679 for Joshua Smith.

The Chapel is discussed in the book Valley of a Hundred Chapels

See Friends Burial Ground, Sowerby Bridge

Friends Meeting House, TodmordenRef 5-260
Honey Hole. Quaker meeting house


A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z


© Malcolm Bull 2019
Revised 15:32 /5th May 2019 / c109_f / 19407

search tips advanced search
site search by freefind

web counter