Churches & Chapels



Temperance Methodist Chapel, EllandRef 5-90
Temperance Street.

In 1871, there was a split in the Southgate Reformers over a question of total abstinence.

A group of strict temperance Methodists parted company with the Methodists at Elland Wesley.

Divine services were held at Cocker's Warehouse, Briggate, Elland for a time.

Dated 1875, the new Chapel opened in Temperance Street, Elland [1876].

Founders of the new Chapel included Edwin Iredale, Joseph Peel, and Samuel Warrington.

Edwin Thornton donated a pipe organ – previously at Oliver Hall, Elland – to the Chapel.

The Chapel closed when the congregation joined with St Paul's Church in 1962.

The building is now the Cartwheel Centre.

The church gave its name to Temperance Street which used to run alongside the building – a street sign still remains.

See Southgate Methodist Chapel, Elland and St Paul's & Temperance Street Churches Memorial

This & associated entries use material contributed by Ann Murray

Thornfield United Free Methodist Church, GreetlandRef 5-369
Opened in 18??. Recorded in 1901 at Green Lane.

Ministers at the Church have included


An extension to the Sunday School was added in 1900. Recorded in 1927 & 1967

See Thornfield United Free Methodist Church, Greetland

Thorngreese Methodist Chapel, TodmordenRef 5-261
In 1825, the United Free Methodists built a chapel and Sunday school at Thorngreese.

The chapel closed in 1890 and the congregation moved to Inchfield Bottom Methodist Chapel, Walsden

Thornhill Briggs Methodist New Connexion ChapelRef 5-45
Aka Trinity Chapel, Trinity United Methodist Church, and Trinity Methodist New Connexion Church. Stood at the bottom of Smithy Carr Lane, Brighouse.

It was originally built as a mission Chapel by the congregation of Bethel Chapel.

The design was by Edward C. Brooke. It was described as

a school-chapel 36 ft by 30 ft with an external porch at the entrance, and 2 classrooms in the rear, each 15 ft square

The site cost £440. The foundation stone was laid by Mrs B. Naylor on 6th June 1896, and 12 memorial stones for the new Chapel were laid at the same time. The Chapel opened in 1897.

Subsequent Ministers at the Chapel have included


A new Sunday school was built at a cost of £12,000 and opened in August 1965.

As attendance decreased and running costs increased, the Chapel closed in 1982, and the congregation merged with Central Methodist Church.

The building was demolished and houses were built on the site [1984]

This & associated entries use material contributed by Chris Helme

Throstle Bower Wesleyan Chapel, WainstallsRef 5-T39
Heys Lane. Built in 1828.

Closed in 19??.

Demolished in 19??.

The graveyard is still there.

See Throstle Bower facilities, Wainstalls

Throstle Bower Wesleyan Graveyard, WainstallsRef 5-616
The graveyard of Throstle Bower Wesleyan Chapel, Wainstalls

Tin Mission Church, MytholmRef 5-272
Stood behind Naze Bottom Park It was superseded by St James the Great Church, Hebden Bridge

Tin Mission, Hebden BridgeRef 5-147
Unity Street, Wood End. Aka the Tin Tabernacle, the Tin Tab.

It was designed by William Henry Cockroft as a Wesleyan Mission.

It opened in May 1887 for services which had previously been held at a house in Foster Lane, Hebden Bridge.

It was superseded by Foster Lane Chapel in 1905.

During the fustian workers' strike in 1906, the chapel was the strike headquarters. A procession marched from here to the centre of Hebden Bridge to hear Mrs Pankhurst speak.

More recently, it has been used as a workshop.

Since the 1990s, the owner has made several proposals to demolish the Mission and build houses on the site.

Even though many local residents objected to the plans and Hebden Royd Town Council opposed the decision, in October 2006, Calderdale Council's planning committee voted to demolish the Mission and build houses on the site

This & associated entries use material contributed by Rob K Brettle

Tin TabernacleRef 5-348
This name was given to several small churches and chapels, including

Todmorden Burial GroundsRef 5-T191
Several burial grounds are recorded in and around Todmorden & Walsden.

The main Anglican burials switched between

but others included

Christ Church, Todmorden and Lumbutts Methodist Church are currently [2008] the only public burial grounds in Todmorden which have spare places

This & associated entries use material contributed by Linda Briggs, David Cant & Peter Gulaiczuk

Todmorden Methodist New Connexion ChapelRef 5-672
A daughter chapel of Salem Methodist New Connexion Chapel, North Parade, Halifax

Todmorden Old ChurchRef 5-935
In the 19th century, St Mary's Church, Todmorden is frequently called Todmorden Old Church or Old Church, Todmorden

Todmorden Parish ChurchRef 5-T184
St Mary's Parish Church was Todmorden Parish Church until 1832 when it was superseded by Christ Church.

Christ Church continued to be the Parish Church until 1992 when St Mary's was re-dedicated

See Parish of Todmorden

Todmorden Spiritual ChurchRef 5-105
Eagle Street. On 7th June 1913, the corner stone was laid. It was opened on 8th November 1853 by A. J. Schofield. The Church superseded the Todmorden Spiritualists' Temple

Todmorden Spiritualists' TempleRef 5-508
Patmos. Opened on 21st August 1909. It was described as
a corrugated iron building with sitting accommodation for 350 persons

In 1913, it was superseded by Todmorden Spiritual Church.

See Spiritualism and Spiritualist Hall, Todmorden

Todmorden Unitarian Church VicarageRef 5-836
Vicarage to Unitarian Church, Todmorden

Todmorden VicarageRef 5-837
Burnley Road. Vicarage to Christ Church, Todmorden. Gothic Revival house built in 1825 by Lewis Vulliamy.

A third storey was added around 1859.

This was the scene of the Vicarage murder in 1867.

See Vicars of Todmorden

Top o' th' Lane ChapelRef 5-367
A popular name for Bethesda Methodist Chapel, Elland

Top o' th' Street ChapelRef 5-366
A popular name for Bethesda Methodist Chapel, Elland

Top o' th' Town ChapelRef 5-142
Pellon Lane, Halifax. An Anabaptist chapel built around 1750. In 1835, Pellon Lane Baptist Church was built on the site

Triangle Mission RoomRef 5-768
Recorded in September 1896, when anniversary services in connection with the Mission Room were held at Mill Bank Wesleyan Chapel

Triangle Wesleyan Methodist ChurchRef 5-219
Halifax Road. Opened in 18??. Recorded in 1905.

Ministers at the Chapel have included


The church closed in 19??.

See Triangle Wesleyan Methodist Church War Memorial, Wesleyan Chapel, Triangle and Wesleyan Methodist

Trinity Chapel, Thornhill BriggsRef 5-T1

Trinity Methodist New Connexion Church, BrighouseRef 5-415
See Thornhill Briggs Methodist New Connexion Chapel

Trinity Road Baptist Church, HalifaxRef 5-T141
On 5th May 1851, a group of 40 members left Pellon Lane Baptist Church to form a new church. 45 members were enrolled on that day.

This was the 2nd Particular Baptist Church in Halifax.

They held their early meetings at the Assembly Rooms, at rooms in Cheapside, and at the Mechanic's Institute in Horton Street.

Because there were no facilities for baptism, this was carried out at the Public Baths.

Land for a new Chapel was bought in November 1851. The foundation stone was laid in August 1852. The Trinity Road Baptist Chapel opened on 18th August 1854 at a cost of £4,000. This incurred a debt of £2,500.

Francis Crossley was a supporter of the Chapel. The Crossley family helped pay off the Chapel's debts.

In 1858, it was necessary to extend the Chapel, and in April 1858, Charles Haddon Spurgeon visited Halifax to help raise funds for the Chapel Building Fund.

In 1861, there were 271 members; in 1876, 287; in 1886, 320; in 1896, 330; in 1912, 245.

Pastors at the Church have included


The building was demolished and an office block for the Halifax Building Society was built on the site in 1965.

See Leonard Ernest Roberts, Herbert Stead, Trinity Road Baptist Church Memorial and Trinity Road Sunday School, Halifax

This & associated entries use material contributed by David Smith

Trinity United Methodist Free Church, WalsdenRef 5-222
Inchfield Bottom.

Aka Inchfield Bottom United Methodist Chapel.

Built by the United Methodists Free Church in 1861 when the facilities at the United Methodist Free Church Sabbath School had become too small.

Around 1890, the congregation of Thorngreese Methodist Chapel, Todmorden moved here when that chapel closed.

On 17th April 1909, a new organ was installed.

In 1914, the Minister was Rev George Walters.

Ministers at the Church have included


See Inchfield Bottom United Methodist School and Trinity Methodist Church, Walsden War Memorial

Trinity Wesleyan Chapel, HalifaxRef 5-427
Pellon Lane.

Recorded in 1905 & 1914.

Ministers at the Chapel have included


Trinity Wesleyan Methodist Church, HalifaxRef 5-221
Trinity Road.

Opened in 18??.

Details of the organ in the Church can be found in the National Pipe Organ Register.

The Church was demolished in 1968 when the area was cleared for the construction of the head office of the Halifax Building Society.

The whereabouts of the organ is unknown.

See Wesleyan Methodist

Tuel Lane United Methodist Free ChapelRef 5-5
Aka the Reformers' Chapel, Tuel Lane.

In September 1850, a number of local preachers – including Thomas Carter, J. Evers, Thomas Garside, Samuel Hoyle, and Samuel Mattock - were expelled from the Wesleyans and met in a room at the Bull's Head, Sowerby Bridge and in private houses.

In 1851, land was acquired and the building of the new Chapel was begun. This was a single-storey building with a school underneath.

The original chapel opened in 1852/4.

It was demolished in 1873 for the construction of a new and larger United Methodist Free Church, Sowerby Bridge.

Subsequent Ministers at the Chapel have included


See Thomas Eastwood, Richard Thomas and Joseph Whiteley

© Malcolm Bull 2024
Revised 12:21 / 7th June 2024 / 26103

Page Ref: C109_T

search tips advanced search
site search by freefind