Churches & Chapels



Ukrainian Church of Holy Protection, HalifaxRef 5-U1
Queens Road. This was formerly Fairfield Methodist Church

In 1977, the church was reconsecrated and became the Ukrainian Church of Holy Protection, Halifax.

In 2019, it was reported to be earmarked for demolition

This & associated entries use material contributed by Sheila Haigh & Andrew Teal

Undercliffe CemeteryRef 5-728
Bradford. The public cemetery opened in 1854.

Several Calderdale people were buried / cremated here including

Some of the chapels here were designed by Lockwood & Mawson

Union Croft Chapel, Ambler ThornRef 5-62
A former Barkerite Chapel which became a Congregational chapel in 1842. It was supported by the congregation at Square Chapel.

Joseph Barker preached at the opening of the Chapel.

The building is dated


A choir gallery was added around 1880.

Subsequent Ministers at the Chapel have included


The chapel was extended in 1925.

Like Zion Congregational Church, Ripponden and Rishworth Independent Chapel, the chapel chose to remain independent after the Congregationalists and the Presbyterians merged to form the United Reformed Church in 1972.

See Union Croft Chapel, Ambler Thorn Graveyard

Union Croft Graveyard, Ambler ThornRef 5-649
The burial ground of Union Croft Chapel

Some of the monumental inscriptions in the graveyard are shown in the CD entitled Halifax Monumental Inscriptions #4

This & associated entries use material contributed by Janice Holdsworth

Union Methodist Chapel, MidgleyRef 5-236
Scout Head.

Built on land which had been bought from Edward Wilkinson.

It opened in 1819.

It was superseded by Providence Methodist New Connexion Chapel, Midgley in 1883

Union Street Catholic Church, Hebden BridgeRef 5-469
From 1876, St Joseph's RC Primary School, Todmorden, was the main Catholic church in the Upper Calder Valley.

For the Catholic community in and around Hebden Bridge, a room in Union Street, above Commercial Street, was used by the local Catholic community until 1896 when Father Maximilian Tillman founded the St Thomas of Canterbury Catholic Church, Hebden Bridge

Unitarian Chapel Graveyard, TodmordenRef 5-9000
The graveyard of Unitarian Chapel, Todmorden

This & associated entries use material contributed by Roger Beasley, Linda Briggs & David Cant

Unitarian Chapel, TodmordenRef 5-U29
Hanging Ditch. John Fielden joined the Unitarians in 1818.

The Unitarians in Todmorden first met in a room in a house in Hanging Ditch.

In 1823-4, they built the first dedicated Chapel and School.

Fielden bought the chapel in 1828 and paid off the group's debts.

On 28th November 1869, this became the Sunday school when the new Unitarian Church was built.

It was extended in 1899, and reopened as the Unitarian Sunday School.

A stone is inscribed


This stone was laid by S. ALFRED STEINTHAL June 17th 1899

It has been converted into housing known as The Fieldens

See Unitarian Chapel, Todmorden Graveyard

This & associated entries use material contributed by Linda Briggs

Unitarian Church Graveyard, TodmordenRef 5-589
Honey Hole Road. The graveyard of Unitarian Church, Todmorden.

Some of the monumental inscriptions in the graveyard are shown in the CD entitled Halifax Monumental Inscriptions #2

This & associated entries use material contributed by Roger Beasley & Linda Briggs

Unitarian Church, TodmordenRef 5-U333
Honey Hole Road.

Neo-Gothic church designed by John Gibson, and built by the Fielden family in memory of their father, John Fielden

See Joshua Fielden, Josiah Lord, Unitarian Church, Todmorden Memorials, Todmorden Unitarian Church Burial Society, Todmorden Unitarian Church Vicarage, Unitarian Church, Todmorden Graveyard and Unitarian Church, Todmorden Bells

Unitarian Church, Todmorden: BellsRef 5-794
The bells of the Unitarian Church, Todmorden were inaugurated on 8th October 1868. It is one of only 2 Unitarian churches in the country to have bells.

The tower has a peal of 8 bells and a carillon with a programme of 4 tunes.

The bells and the bearings deteriorated and became unsafe and they were silenced around 2010.

Thanks to a bequest of £46,985 by Geoffrey Cheetham, a member of the bell-ringers at the Church, the bells and the mechanism were restored in 2013

Unitarian Sunday School, Todmorden: GraveyardRef 5-853
The graveyard for the Unitarian Sunday School, Todmorden

Some of the monumental inscriptions in the graveyard are shown in the CD entitled Halifax Monumental Inscriptions #2

United Congregational Church, HalifaxRef 5-238
Aka Harrison Road Chapel, Carlton Street

United Free Methodist Church, Hove EdgeRef 5-735
Recorded on 5th November 1871, when a newly-purchased harmonium was opened at the Church. The instrument was supplied by Mr Hemingway of Halifax and cost £26

United Methodist Church, EllandRef 5-510
See St Paul's Methodist Chapel, Elland

United Methodist Free Chapel, Southowram BankRef 5-481

See David Richard Smith and Southowram Bank Board School

United Methodist Free Church, CliftonRef 5-286

The Church – to replace the old chapel at Highmoor Lane – was built on land bought from Sir George Armytage for £340.

The Church was designed by R. F. Rogerson.

The foundation stone was laid on 4th July 1874 by Benjamin Howe.

The Church was opened on Easter Monday 29th March 1875 by Thomas Ormerod.

Trustees of the Church included

The Church stands opposite St John's Church.

The original harmonium, installed in 1873, was replaced by a hand-pumped organ in 1890. Electricity replaced the old gas lighting in 1949.

The church is still active.

Subsequent Ministers at the Chapel have included


See Clement Rukin and John Herbert Rukin

United Methodist Free Church, CopleyRef 5-379
Copley Lane, Lower Skircoat Green. The foundation stone was laid by John Law of Greetland on 22nd May 1866.

Around 1870, a Conacher organ was installed. Details can be found in the National Pipe Organ Register.

In the 1960s, there were plans to merge with St Stephen's Church, Copley but this was abandoned in 1971.

The church became the Seventh Day Adventist Church, Copley

This & associated entries use material contributed by Richard Shireby

United Methodist Free Church, SouthowramRef 5-10
At the south side of the junction of Chapel Lane & Church Lane.

Question: I have some confusion between this Church and Southowram Wesleyan Chapel and their respective burial grounds: United Methodist Free Graveyard, Southowram and Southowram Wesleyan Chapel Graveyard.

Can anyone help me resolve this confusion?


The Church was at Grid Reference SE117236.

Around 1855, the minister at Southowram Wesleyan Chapel forbade preacher Charles Farrar to read from a number of circulars which were upsetting the Methodists at that time. In support, many of his workers withdrew their membership of the Chapel. This led to the establishment of United Methodist Free Church.

The Church opened on 7th October 1859.

The Wesleyan Reform Movement were members here.

Ministers at the Church have included

  • To be completed


The building became unsafe and the Church closed in 1958 when repairs proved too costly. The society rejoined the Wesleyans [1958] to become Southowram Methodists. The building was demolished.

See Charles Farrar and United Methodist Free Church, Southowram Graveyard

See Joseph Shedeur Hartley

This & associated entries use material contributed by Elaine Hodkinson

United Methodist Free Church, Sowerby BridgeRef 5-361
It was built in 1873 to replace Tuel Lane United Methodist Free Chapel. The cost was £2,800.

Ministers at the Church have included


Around 1887

it had become patent to everyone that the great mistake had been made in the structural arrangement of the chapel

and the interior was taken out and rearranged. The old organ was sold and a new one installed. The changes cost £2,300. The gable ends were rebuilt, the roof strengthened and the gas lighting rearranged at a further cost of £350.

In 1897, a house was bought and furnished for the Minister. This cost £500.

The Tuel Lane United Methodist Brotherhood is recorded around 1915.

Around 1900, it was replaced by St Paul's Methodist Chapel, Sowerby Bridge.

Around 1900, Joseph Whiteley was organist at the Chapel

United Methodist Free Church, WalsdenRef 5-445
aka Trinity United Methodist Free Church, Walsden / Walsden Methodist Church

United Methodist Free Graveyard, SouthowramRef 5-802
The graveyard for the United Methodist Free Church, Southowram

Some of the monumental inscriptions in the graveyard are shown in the CD entitled Halifax Monumental Inscriptions #2

United Reformed Church, Carlton StreetRef 5-42

Upper Brockholes Methodist ChapelRef 5-121
Aka Mount Sion Methodist New Connexion Chapel, Holmfield.

A New Connexion Chapel built in 1773 at Upper Brockholes.

It was rebuilt in 1815 and 1831. The interior was refurbished around 1870.

It was restored in 1881 by Leeming & Leeming.

There is a sundial dated 1773 and inscribed Mount Sion.

The Minister's house stands west of the Chapel

Ministers at the Chapel have included


See Upper Brockholes Methodist Chapel Graveyard

Upper Brockholes Methodist GraveyardRef 5-657
The burial ground for Upper Brockholes Methodist Chapel was built around 1815

Upper Edge Baptist Church, EllandRef 5-U25
Dewsbury Road.

This was the first Baptist church in the district.

It was constructed to serve the local quarry workers.

Founder members of the Church included George Carr Jessop.

On 7th June 1890, the foundation stone was laid by Joseph Brooke of Lindley, and corner stones were laid by William Smith, Mrs Jos. Smith of Lindley, Mrs Kidney of Leicester, and Mrs J. I. Mortimer of Rastrick.

It cost £3,000 to build.

Opened in May 1891.

An organ was installed in April 1894.

On 22nd December 1894, a storm damaged the Church. The roof and the side walls collapsed, leaving only the gables standing, and the furniture was crushed. The organ escaped damage. The Church was not insured and there was still £800 to pay of the initial building costs.

It cost £1,500 to rebuild. Mayor William Smith organised a relief fund.

On 19th April 1919, a new organ was dedicated in memory of those who died in World War I.

Pastors at the Church have included


See Job Crowther and Upper Edge Baptist Church Memorial

Upper Room Chapel, HalifaxRef 5-240
Pellon Lane

© Malcolm Bull 2024
Revised 15:55 / 13th June 2024 / 27519

Page Ref: C109_U

search tips advanced search
site search by freefind