Churches & Chapels



Wade House Primitive Methodist Chapel, ShelfRef 5-27
Built in 1822 on land belonging to Moses Bottomley. It accommodated 150 worshippers [1845].

The Sunday School opened in 1901.

The Chapel closed in the 1970s. It is now a community centre.

The family had a disagreement with the Chapel and moved to Bethel Methodist Chapel, Shelf.

See Wade House Primitive Methodist Chapel, Shelf War Memorial and Wade House Primitive Methodist Chapel, Shelf Graveyard Shelf United Methodist Church

This & associated entries use material contributed by Ben Stables

Wade House Primitive Methodist Graveyard, ShelfRef 5-544
The graveyard of Wade House Primitive Methodist Chapel, Shelf

Some of the monumental inscriptions in the graveyard are shown in the CD entitled Halifax Monumental Inscriptions #3

Wadsworth, Parish ofRef 5-W2149
See Wadsworth Parish Council and White Horse, Hebden Bridge

Wainsgate Baptist Church, Hebden BridgeRef 5-W228
Boston Hill, Wadsworth Moor, above Old Town.

See James Ashworth, Rev William Crabtree, Dove Chapel, John Sutcliff, Wainsgate Baptist Church, Hebden Bridge Memorial and Wainsgate Baptist Church, Hebden Bridge Graveyard

This & associated entries use material contributed by David Smith & Molly Sunderland

Wainsgate Baptist Graveyard, Hebden BridgeRef 5-586
The graveyard of Wainsgate Baptist Church, Hebden Bridge.

See Fawcett tomb, Wainsgate

Wainstalls Wesleyan Reformed ChapelRef 5-108

Wainstalls Wesleyan Reformers ChurchRef 5-118
See Mount Pleasant Wesleyan Reform Chapel, Wainstalls and Wesleyan Reformers

Walker Lane Methodist Chapel, ChiserleyRef 5-914

The Chapel closed between 2009 and 2015, and it was for sale [2015]

Wall Nook Primitive Methodist Chapel, GreetlandRef 5-30
Wall Nook / Barkisland.

The Chapel stands on the main road between Ripponden and Greetland.

Built in 1881.

On maps from 1963, it is shown as a Methodist Chapel.

Closed in 19??

The Chapel is now a private house.

Sadly, the name and other details on several datestones round the building have been deliberately obliterated.

See Wall Nook Primitive Methodist Chapel Memorial

This & associated entries use material contributed by Darrell Prest & David Smith

Walsden Parish ChurchRef 5-W230

Walsden, Parish ofRef 5-W1938
In 1910, the Parish of Walsden was within the Lancashire Diocese of Manchester

Walsden ParsonageRef 5-839
The Vicarage for Walsden Church. The foundation stone was laid by John Crossley on 22nd August 1857

Walsden Wesleyan ChapelRef 5-376
Opened 13th February 1868.

In 19??, the congregation merged with that of Trinity United Methodist Free Church, Walsden

Ministers at the Church have included


See Walsden Wesleyan Memorial

Waring Green Congregational ChurchRef 5-W141
The Church and Sunday School were built in 1878 to extend the catchment area of Bridge End Congregational Church into Brighouse.

The original Church in Marion Street became the Sunday School in 1902 when a new the larger Church was built.

1702 square yards of land were bought for £406 and the building cost £1,400. The memorial stones were laid by Rev Angus Galbraith and Henry Sugden.

The roof used a new form of glazing & roofing which had been patented by T. W. Helliwell.

It did not have a minister until 1888.

Incumbents and Curates at the Church have included


In 1904, it became independent of Bridge End Congregational Church.

It closed in the 1940s.

It was converted into the Community Centre after World War II

Waring Green United Reformed ChurchRef 5-224

Warley Clough Primitive Methodist Chapel, SowerbyRef 5-225
Opened in 18??. Recorded in September 1896, when a harvest service was held.

It re-opened on 4th November 1905, after being closed for re-pewing and other alterations. Rev J. Marcus Brown presented Mrs Dilworth with a gold key on behalf of the Trustees.

Ministers at the Chapel have included


See Henry H. Howard, Simeon Park and Warley Clough Chapel Memorial

Warley Congregational ChurchRef 5-69
In 1672, following the Declaration of Indulgence, Oliver Heywood obtained a licence to use the home of John Butterworth at Warley Edge as a Nonconformist preaching house.

This was one of the first authorised places of worship in Halifax outside the established church.

The society later moved to Sowerby.

Rev Matthew Smith preached alternately here and at his Moor End Congregational Church. Rev Nathaniel Priestley and others assisted him.

In 1705, Rev Matthew Smith was instrumental in establishing the first independent meeting house chapel in Warley.

Relatives of Archbishop Tillotson worshipped here.

The Church was rebuilt in 1805. Rev Thomas Hawkins was instrumental in building the Church, and travelled to many of the large towns in England, seeking contributions. He raised £187 of a total contribution of £438 13/3d. The cost of rebuilding was £454 17/11d.

A schoolroom was added [1818].

It accommodated 350 worshippers [1845].

In 1814, Mrs Elizabeth Worsley left a legacy of £500 towards a new Church. Other benefactors included the local Rideal, Milnes and Smith families.

A new Tudor-Gothic style Congregational Church was built at a cost of £1,270. The new Church opened in June 1846.

Rev Thomas M. Newnes gave land for a new schoolroom which opened in 1856.

On 31st July 1926, the organ was opened and dedicated.

The organ was originally built in 1867 by Charles Brindley of Sheffield.

In 1926, it was rebuilt by Driver & Haigh of Bradford, without altering any of the Brindley pipes.

When it was dismantled in the late 1970s, three ranks of pipes were incorporated in the organ of Christ Church, Sowerby Bridge, a trumpet stop went to an organ in Belfast, and the sixteen-foot metal open diapason to a church in Stagsden, Bedfordshire


In 1955, the 250th edition of Wilfred Pickles's Have a Go was broadcast from here.

Warley Maypole stood in front of the Church.

A list of some of the Ministers of Warley is given in a separate Foldout

The Church closed in 1975. It was converted into private dwellings – Chantry House.

This is discussed in the book Our Home & Country.

See Dr Benjamin Boothroyd, Thomas Edmondson, David Rideal, Warley Congregational Church Graveyard and Warley Congregational Manse

This & associated entries use material contributed by Richard Barnes & Roger Beasley

Warley Congregational GraveyardRef 5-577
The burial ground of Warley Congregational Church

Some of the monumental inscriptions in the graveyard are shown in the CD entitled Halifax Monumental Inscriptions #4

Warley Congregational ManseRef 5-840
Edgeholme Lane.

The Parsonage for Warley Congregational Church was built for Rev Thomas Hawkins around 1840.

The building cost £660.

Subscribers included Titus Rideal and his sister, Mrs Elizabeth Worsley who gave £500 for the building.

See Parsonage Cottage, Warley

This & associated entries use material contributed by June Illingworth

Warley Town CemeteryRef 5-W104
Paradise Lane. Established in 1818.

See Warley Cemetery Lodge, Warley Cemetery Board and Warley Community Association

Waterloo Hall Church of God, HalifaxRef 5-2
Established in Waterloo Hall, Savile Park Road.

A non-sectarian church recorded in 1917

Watkinson Chapel, LightcliffeRef 5-526
The Watkinson Chapel in St Matthew's Church, Lightcliffe commemorates the Watkinson family.

It is now known as St Aidan's Room

Weaver's Square Methodist Church, HeptonstallRef 5-471
In the 1830s, disputes within the local Methodist community led to a split. This resulted in one group holding their meetings at rooms in Commercial Street, and another holding theirs at Weaver's Square. These 2 subsequently joined together and established Cross Lanes United Methodist Chapel, Hebden Bridge which was halfway between the two

Wellington Road Baptist Church, TodmordenRef 5-W216
General Baptist Church. The church here was formed on 9th November 1845 by a group from Shore Baptist Church, Todmorden. They held their first meetings at Todmorden Mechanics' Institute and then at Sobriety Hall.

The foundation stone was laid by Abraham Midgley on 29th May 1858. It opened in 1859.

In October 1868, a new organ was installed.

The Church was demolished in 1952

Pastors at the Church have included


This & associated entries use material contributed by David Smith

Wesley Centre, PellonRef 5-292
Stretchgate Lane. Built 1862

Wesley's Chapel, HalifaxRef 5-W108
This stood in Wesley Court just west of Halifax Town Hall at the corner of Broad Street and Waterhouse Street.

It was built for the Wesleyan Methodists to ease the South Parade Chapel. The cost was £4,000. It was the 2nd Methodist chapel to be built in Halifax.

Details of the organ in the Chapel can be found in the National Pipe Organ Register.

The first sermon was preached on 6th November 1829.

On 17th April 1861, William Rushworth, tailor from Mytholmroyd, was married to Miss Eliza Thomas, of Sowerby, by the Rev G. Mather. This being the first marriage at this chapel, a handsome Bible was presented to the newly-married couple.

Subsequent Ministers at the Church have included


It closed in 1949.

It was demolished in 1968. It is now a car park for Town Hall staff.

The small street which separates the site from the Town Hall is still known as Wesley Court.

There was a Roll of Honour remembering those who served/fell in World War I.

See Richard Shaw

This & associated entries use material contributed by Alan Longbottom

Wesleyan Chapel, TodmordenRef 5-245
Union Street. Built in 1827.

It accommodated 800 worshippers [1845].

Ministers at the Chapel have included


Wesleyan Chapel, TriangleRef 5-519
On 6th September 1924, a new chapel and school was opened.

See Triangle Wesleyan Methodist Church and Wesleyan Methodist

Wesleyan MethodistRef 5-668

Wesleyan Methodist Association Chapel, TodmordenRef 5-408
Recorded in 1839, when James Stansfield was Superintendent Registrar.

Recorded in 1861 at the Oddfellows' Hall, Todmorden.

See Wesleyan Methodist

Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, Sowerby BridgeRef 5-922
Burnley Road.

Dated 1890.

Question: Does anyone know the original name or any other information about this Chapel?


This & associated entries use material contributed by Centred Community

Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, TodmordenRef 5-146
York Street. Built in 1827. It closed in 19??. It was demolished in 19??.

See Wesleyan Methodist

Wesleyan Reform Chapel, GreetlandRef 5-841
On 15th August 1864, the foundation stone for a new Chapel was laid by Mr J. Mallinson of Huddersfield.

The new Chapel accommodated 300 workshippers.

A Sunday school room was also to be a part of the Chapel.

See Wesleyan Reform Church, Elland

Wesleyan Reform Church, EllandRef 5-359
At the junction of Coronation Street and Southgate [next to The Rex]. Built in 1855.

The Christadelphian Meeting Room, Elland was here [1894, 1905].

Closed in 19??.

The building has been converted into shops and retail premises.

It is currently known as the Central Hall.

See Wesleyan Reform Chapel, Greetland

Wesleyan Reform Preaching Room, Skircoat GreenRef 5-378
On 10th January 1864, the chapel-keeper was badly burned and the school room – which was beneath Skircoat Green Wesleyan Church – was damaged when a boiler exploded

West End Congregational Church, Sowerby BridgeRef 5-W82
West Street.

The Church was built on land bought from William Edleston. The cost of the construction was £2,500. The foundation stone was laid on 19th June 1839 by Rev John Ely. The church opened on 10th June 1840. It accommodated around 550 worshippers.

Ministers at the Church have included


In September 1909, Andrew Carnegie gave £200 towards a new organ for the church.

The building was used by Sowerby Bridge YMCA and Sowerby Bridge Golden Age Club.

The church closed in 1957.

West End Congregational Sunday School stands next door.

The Church was demolished in 19??. A garage was built on the site.

In February 2006, there were plans to convert the garage site into a 28 apartments and car park, and to convert the Sunday School into 23 apartments and a restaurant. The plans would require the reburial or cremation of the remains of those buried in the graveyard.

See Andrew Carnegie and West End Congregational Mutual Improvement Society

West End Methodist Chapel, HalifaxRef 5-226
Spring Hall Lane. Opened in 18??,

Details of the organ in the Chapel can be found in the National Pipe Organ Register.

In the 1960s, there were a Sunday School, the 11th Halifax Scout Troop, and a youth club at the Chapel.

The Chapel was demolished in the 1970s.

Houses were built on the site

This & associated entries use material contributed by Andrew Murgatroyd

West End Methodist Chapel, QueensburyRef 5-227
A group of Methodists, known as the Blackmires Chapel, worshipped at Blackmires, West End in 1800.

The Chapel was built on land belonging to Swamp Farm, Northowram, was known as Swamp Chapel. It opened in 1887/1888.

The Chapel closed after the final worship on 7th July 2013.

See Blackmires Wesleyan Methodist Church, Northowram

West End Wesleyan Mission Church, HalifaxRef 5-W219
Warley Road.

Begun in 1912.

The founders included

Memorial stones were laid on 13th July 1912

West Vale Baptist ChapelRef 5-22
Rochdale Road.

Stands next to West Vale Public Hall.

In 1863, Jonathan Horsfall and a group of Birchcliffe Baptists joined the Chapel at North Parade, on condition that a cause should be established at West Vale. On 16th August 1863, they leased a warehouse in Maude Street, West Vale.

They set up a schoolroom here in 1868.

On 10th April 1868, John Horsfall (cotton spinner) performed the ceremony of cutting the first sod for a new Chapel.

Robert Dempster was a founding member of the Chapel} and his son, Master Dempster, wheeled away the sod.

On 23rd May 1868, Edward Crossley laid the corner stone for the Chapel and Schools.

In July 1869, the new Chapel was opened as a branch of North Parade Baptist Chapel, Halifax. The Chapel and schoolroom cost £2,400.

The Chapel accommodated 150 persons. There were 2 vestries, schoolrooms and a minister's house beneath.

It 1871, it became independent of North Parade, and was licensed for the solemnisation of marriages.

Pastors at the Church have included


In 1905, a new institute for youth work opened in Maude Street.

There was [presumably] an organ in the 19th century [1852].

In 1909, an organ was installed by Rushworth & Dreaper, after there was a fire at the works of Conacher who were awarded the contract to build an organ. Details can be found in the National Pipe Organ Register. This is dedicated

To the glory of God and in loving memory of Charles Francis Fisher who, for 26 years, faithfully and zealously filled the office of organist at this Chapel [1852-1905]

A new organ commemorated those who served/died in World War II.

The Chapel closed and was up for sale [August 2014].

See West Vale Baptist Memorial and West Vale Baptist Manse

This & associated entries use material contributed by David Nortcliffe & David Smith

West Vale Free ChurchRef 5-368
Opened in 18??.

The organ was renovated in March 1900.

Closed in 19??

West Vale Methodist ChapelRef 5-103

West Vale VicarageRef 5-730
The Vicarage for St John the Evangelist, West Vale was built opposite the Church on Calder Street.

It was demolished in 19??.

The houses of Calder Close have been built on the site

Wheatley Community ChurchRef 5-119
Opened in 18??

Wheatley Mission ChurchRef 5-438
Recorded in 1905 at 19 White Birch Terrace

Wheatley Pentecostal ChurchRef 5-W240

Wheatley Wesleyan Methodist ChurchRef 5-96
Wheatley Road. Recorded in 1905.

Ministers at the Church have included


See Wesleyan Methodist and Wheatley Wesleyan Methodist School Memorial

Willeby ChapelRef 5-W180
Chantry chapel at Halifax Parish Church endowed by John Willeby in June 1494

Witchfield Methodist Chapel, ShelfRef 5-26
Aka Shelf Wesleyan Chapel.

It stood at the junction of Shelf Moor Road and Halifax Road in Shelf.

It grew from meetings which were held in the Witchfield area as early as 1769.

  • The church was opened towards the close of the year in 1785 and was later extended to form a vestry [1814] and a Sunday School was later built over the vestry [1854].

  • In 1878, the old church was demolished and a Sunday school building was built on its site and opened 17th October.

  • In 1814, it was enlarged.

  • In 1864, a new organ was installed.

  • In 1878, a new Sunday School was opened.

  • A new imposing Gothic style church was built next to this and opened in 1887.

  • In 1896, a new American organ was installed.

  • The building was sold in September 1979 when the members decamped to the Sunday school next door.

  • The site is now a car park and the foundation stones have been placed in the original gateway, now filled in.

  • Various problems with the Sunday School building were discovered – including dry rot and cracks in the walls – and this was closed and demolished in 1981 marking the end of Methodism at Witchfield

See Rev James Briggs Holroyd, Shelf Wesleyan Methodist Chapel War Memorials, Wesleyan Methodist and Witchfield Methodist Chapel, Shelf Graveyard

This & associated entries use material contributed by Christine Marshall & Ben Stables

Witchfield Methodist Graveyard, ShelfRef 5-799
The graveyard for Witchfield Methodist Chapel, Shelf

Some of the monumental inscriptions in the graveyard are shown in the CD entitled Halifax Monumental Inscriptions #2

Woodend Wesleyan Mission, Hebden BridgeRef 5-464
Lees Road, Nutclough. Recorded in 1905

Woodlands Catholic Church, HalifaxRef 5-290

Wyke Congregational ChurchRef 5-161
Built by Rev Benjamin Firth

© Malcolm Bull 2024
Revised 12:21 / 7th June 2024 / 41794

Page Ref: C109_W

search tips advanced search
site search by freefind