Westgate is the street leading from Southgate to the west gate of Halifax Piece Hall.
When the Piece Hall opened in 1779, the land outside the gate was a field owned by the Vicarage of Halifax. An Act of Parliament was required to allow a road to be built, providing access to the Piece Hall.
In 2004, a plan emerged to pedestrianise Westgate, Carrier Street, and Albion Street and turn Westgate into a canopied shopping arcade. The canopy in Westgate – probably the least-used street in the town – was erected during 2006 by O. & C. Estates Limited who own the property there.
|Property in Westgate
The occupants of the properties here have included
|Beerhouses & Pubs in Westgate, Halifax
Several beerhouses and public houses have been recorded in and around Westgate, Halifax, including
Page Ref: KK_129
|site search by freefind