In 1685, Nonconformist meetings were held at the home of John Brooksbank in Elland.
In September 1697, Oliver Heywood preached at the opening of Elland Unitarian Chapel. It is not clear whether this was a new building.
Around 1785, the chapel was rebuilt. This was done by 2 brothers: one brother built 2 stone walls, and the other built 2 walls of brick. The new chapel was known as South-End Chapel or Southgate Chapel.
Ministers at the Chapel included
Ministers at the Chapel were usually Masters at Brooksbank's Charity School.
In 1862, it was decided to build a new chapel, Christ Chapel.
On 28th February 1864, the Halifax Courier reported
the old Unitarian Chapel in Elland is about to be taken down and at a meeting of the burial board, Mr Langdale requested permission to remove the dead buried in the graveyard to the cemetery.
Permission was granted and Mr Langdale bore the whole cost of the removal
The new chapel opened on 5th May 1866.
The site of the old chapel
was given up for the purposes of forming a new street
See Elland Unitarian Chapel: Graveyard
Page Ref: KK_13
|site search by freefind