Around 1840, a local mill owner, Joseph Holmes, proposed buying flour from Liverpool market and selling it to a group of workers, as a protest against the prices of flour and other foods.
In 1848, the Hebden Bridge Industrial Co-operative Society was established.
Officers of the Society included
The first premises were a small cottage at the corner of High Street and Heptonstall Road.
In 1863, the society bought and demolishing a row of cottages at the bottom of Bridge Lanes, for their first purpose-built store – see Bridge Lanes Co-operative Stores. The society bought property in many parts of Hebden Bridge, making it the town's biggest landlord
In 1867, a branch opened at Charlestown in 1867, and in 1868 another branch opened at Hebden View. Other branches followed at Lees Road, Keighley Road, King Street, and Hangingroyd Lane.
During the night of 20th/21st April 1868, thieves broke into Number 2 Branch of the Society in Hebden Bridge and stole cash to the value of £600 and a cheque for £60. No-one was accused of the burglary.
In 1889, new Central Premises were opened at Crown Street.
In October 1892, it was reported that, as the value of shares increased, some were sold to outsiders at a premium, and that, in December 1891, 274 workmen held shares to the value of £5,598 and 192 outsiders held shares to the value of £7,162.
In 1926, a new branch opened at Hawksclough.
The society went into liquidation in 1967 as a consequence of the forgery and falsification of accounts and theft of £23,000 by Frederick C. Chatburn
Page Ref: KK_167
|site search by freefind