The town of Halifax – 53° 43' N 1° 51' W – lies on the banks of the Hebble on the eastern slopes of the Pennines, and covers an area of 75,000 acres. Halifax is the administrative centre of Calderdale.
Halifax is 7 miles south-west of Bradford, 7 miles north-west of Wakefield, 17 miles south-west of Leeds, 22 miles north-east of Manchester, and 194 miles north of London
The original parish of Halifax comprised 23 townships. By 1750, there were three divisions of 25 townships: the 10 townships of Halifax parish, the 10 townships of Elland chapelry and the 5 townships of Heptonstall chapelry.
In 1775, Watson tells us that the parish of Halifax comprised 26 townships, Hipperholme and Brighouse being considered two separate townships.
Halifax was a part of the Manor of Wakefield which had been granted to the Earls of Warren by William the Conqueror in 10??, and was later endowed to the Cluniac Priory of Lewes.
The town – comprising Halifax, and parts of Northowram and Southowram- was incorporated as a borough in 1848, following the Reform Act of 1832
See Population, Name of Halifax, Parish statistics, New Halifax and Toffee Town
Revised 11:19 /19th November 2020 / 4541
Page Ref: KK_180
|site search by freefind|