|History of the Society|
In 1861, the Halifax Working Men's Co-operative & Provident Society became the Halifax Industrial Society.
The first shop was at Cow Green, Halifax. This opened in 186? and was demolished in 1882 when Silver Street was redeveloped.
The society's Central Stores opened in Northgate in 1861, built at a cost of £23,400.
In July 1865, the Society introduced manufacturing alongside their retail activities, when a number of looms were bought.
The society had a bakery in Queens Road, an abattoir at North Dean, and stables at Culver Street.
In 1894, there were 9,000 members, 15 directors and a secretary.
A further store opened in Northowram, and by the end of the century there were 34 Industrial Society branches throughout the district, some larger ones having boot and shoe branches attached to them.
The Salterhebble Abattoir was built in 1???, and demolished around 1899.
On 12th November 1925, new premises opened in Northgate.
The Society became the Halifax Co-operative Society around 1946
|Branches of the Society|
The following list shows the branches of the Halifax Industrial Society – with the opening dates
Those marked with ‡ had Boot and Shoe branches
In 1937, they had
In June 1920 there was a strike by employees of the Society over union recognition
See Louis E. Bottomley, Thomas Clarke, Joseph Foreman, The History of the Halifax Industrial Society Limited and John Shillito
Page Ref: KK_192
|site search by freefind|