Halifax Commercial Banking Company Limited



Contents:

The Company

The Halifax Commercial Banking Company Limited was established in 1802 by Swaine Brothers & Company.

In 1836, it became the Halifax Commercial Banking Company Limited in order to purchase the business of Rawdon Briggs & Sons.

There were 172 partners.

The directors included Rawdon Briggs [Chairman], William Briggs [Deputy Chairman], Jonathan Akroyd and members of the Akroyd family, members of the Crossley family, William Garlick, George Pollard, John Holland, Royston Oliver, and George Binns.

The partners in 1853 are shown below

It was one of the last joint-stock banks to survive.

In 1919, the bank merged with the Bank of Liverpool & Martins Bank.

In 1969, it merged with Barclays Bank

The Branches

There were several branches of the bank in the district:

See James Booth, Frederick Hardcastle, T. H. Morris and Old Mansion House

Halifax Commercial Banking Company Limited : Partners [1853]

In 1836, the Halifax Commercial Banking Company became the Halifax Commercial Banking Company Limited.

In 1853, the partners included


See Halifax Mechanics' Institution Penny Savings Bank, Frederick Hardcastle, T. H. Morris, William Morris, Old Mansion House, Robert Swaine and John Graham Wheelwright




© Malcolm Bull 2021
Revised 14:48 /3rd March 2021 / 14618

Page Ref: KK_206

search tips advanced search
site search by freefind