|History of the School
The Free Grammar School of Queen Elizabeth - aka Heath School and Heath Grammar School – was founded in 1600 by Dr John Favour under a Queen's Charter obtained by Henry Farrar of Ewood in 1585, and was built on land donated by Farrar and his brothers, and with money raised by public subscription and from various benefactors, including the Savile family – Edward and Sir George – and Gilbert, the 7th Earl of Shrewsbury.
The foundation stone was laid on 8th June 1598. The Akroyd family worked on the building. The building cost £120 and the Akroyds were paid a further £20 for building it so well, and a further £20 for building it so quickly.
Originally, 41 boys attended the school, and the scholars were only allowed to speak Latin whilst in school.
On 7th July 1730, a second Charter was obtained.
The school was extended in 1777 when Richard Hudson was Master.
The Leeds Intelligencer [Tuesday 20th January 1784] - when Rev Gough Willis Kempson was Head Master – advertised
The Free School at Halifax was opened on the Twelfth of January 1784 under the direction of a Head Master and Aſſiſtants.
Instruction in English Grammar, the reading of the English classics, Writing, Arithmetic and Modern History: 4 guineas p.a.
Instruction in the Greek and Latin languages: 4 guineas p.a.
Instruction in both above languages together: 6 guineas p.a.
Instruction in Geography, Geometry and Algebra: 4 guineas p.a.
Or any person paying Ten Guineas a Year will receive Instructions in any of the above Articles which may be adjudged Best for him. Enquiries by letter to Mr Bates the English Aſſiſtant, Free School Lane, Halifax, will receive an immediate answer.
This advertisement would have appeared in the Beginning of Last Year but the Headmaster was not willing to offer his services to the Public at large without being firſt able to appeal to the Experience of the Gentlemen of Halifax in particular, for the Succeſſ of his Plan, and an Account of his Character and Ability
In 1878, a new school was designed by John & Joseph Leeming. The new building opened in 1879 and accommodated 250 boys.
In 1883, when Rev Cox retired as headmaster, the School had only the headmaster, one assistant and 13 boys, and funds were so small that the School had to close.
It reopened in 1887, when funds had improved. Nathan Whitley was a strong advocate for the school's reopening after Easter 1887.
It accommodated 190 boys .
In 1925, it came under control of the local authority.
Extensions were added in 1939. There is work – three oak chairs, and a reading desk – by Harry Percy Jackson .
The memorial gates, to commemorate old boys killed in action, were unveiled in June 1949.
The tradition of a half-day holiday per week (originally Thursday afternoon, but latterly Wednesday afternoon) with Saturday morning attendance, was continued until 1965.
The school closed in 1984 and merged with Crossley & Porter School to become Crossley-Heath School.
The apple-and-pear window, constructed by the Akroyd family between 1598 and 1601, is the only remaining part of the old school. It has been suggested that the window was designed by Robert Smythson [1535-1614]
The mason who made the stone over the main entrance mistakenly carved the word grammer and later corrected it.
The building is now the Heath Training & Development Centre .
There were plans to sell the building for use as housing in order to raise funds for proposed changes to the civic buildings and the central library 
|Headmasters at the School
According to the original charter, the qualifications of a Master was that he should be
a meet man learned and cunning [skilled] which hath been a student in one of the universities of this realm of England the space of 5 years at the least and hath profited in learning
Headmasters at the school have included:
|Ushers at the School
In addition to the Headmaster, the School had an Usher – or Assistant Master or Second Master
The Usher had similar duties to the Headmaster, but received only half the salary
Ushers at the school have included:
The Office of Usher was discontinued in 1876
|Teachers & Masters at the School
Teachers and masters at the school have included:
Phyllis Bentley Dr Phyllis Eleanor Bentley John E. Bissell  Henry Robert Field Canham Rev Stephen Carr  Joseph Clayton Joseph Chappell Collins Arthur Comfort  William Bunting Crump [1952-1982] Alan Guy Donald Morewood Hallowes  S. Franklin Hiron John Horner George Lawrence Arthur Keighley Lister
|Pupils at the School
Past pupils have included:
John Abbott Keith Ackroyd Maurice Lucius Armitage George Stuart Arthur Rev Arthur Howard Ashworth George Wheelhouse Ashworth Rev Philip Sidney Ashworth Rev William Atkinson Ralph W. J. Austin Sir Leonard Bairstow Robert Baker Philip Hugh Ballantyne Henry Bates Joah Bates Rev Thomas Bates Rev Michael Beaufort-Jones Lawrence Bedworth Thomas Washington Benson Sir John Winfield Bonser Fred Booth Martin Walter Bottomley Henry Hearder Bowman Sidney Herbert Bray Graham Brayshaw Kenneth Gough Breaks Charles ffrench Bromhead Edward Thomas ffrench Bromhead Edgar Deighton Brook Donald Broughton Richard George de Fer Byrde Gilbert Alva Carter Major Cartwright David Cawthra Francis Joseph Chambers Lindsay Clarke Philip Clegg George Clewer Thomas William Coghlin Richard Jeffreys Hampton Collinson Rev Steven John Lindsey Croft James Crossley Alec Dakin William Frederick Wilkinson Davis Leslie Dawson William Ernest Denison Carl Penrose Dixon Sir Frank Watson Dyson Stanley Gilbert Dyson Rev John William Earnshaw Ian D. East Rev Dr Joseph Edleston Rev Edward Ellis Francis Vaughan Evans Percy Lewis Evans Harold Eyre Richard Edwin Feather Frederic William Oswald Fleming Dr Ernest Faber Fookes Charles Clifford Foster Sir Lionel Wray Fox Ralph Fox Rev Henry Eli Garnet George Douglas Gelder Ernest Edward Roberts Gomersall
Charles Norman Greenwood Dr Jeremiah Hall Alfred L. Haller A. L. Halley Robert Chisenhall Hammerton Laurence William Hanson Eric Harrison John Holroyd Harrison Rev John Fearby Haslam James Hardy Heal Tom Denton Hepworth George Frederick Vincent Hervey Sidney Fred Hetherington S. Franklin Hiron James Hirst John Gregson Hitchen Clifford Holroyd John Basil Hope Augustus William Howell Samuel Hoyle Geoffrey Knowles Humphreys William Huntriss Sir Charles Illingworth Charles Frederick William Illingworth Rev Cyril Jackson William Jackson Peter Jeffries George Frederick Johnston Thornton Jowett Courtney Stanhope William Kenny Graham Collow Kerr Joseph Moxon Kirk Bishop John Lake George Lassey Eric Lewin George Ronald Lewin John Lewin Arthur Thompson Longbottom Dr Lonsdale Albert Edward Lord Sam Leslie Lord Walter Magson Stuart Petre Brodie Mais Jeffery Middleton John Milner Arthur Page Mitchell Joseph Harger Mitchell Brian McBeath Murrell Robert Naylor Right Rev Donald Patrick Nestor Eric Nettleton Willie Normanton Walter Holroyd Oates William Alexander Wildman Orange Alan Ostler Thomas Ostler George Patchett Robert Clement Perks Eric Bateman Petty Rev William Henry Priestley
Benjamin Currer Rawson John Frederick Reid Hugh John Trafford David Robertson Eric Leslie Robinson Gerald Holt Rothwell Edward Peake Rouse William Archibald Rouse Daniel Salt Sir Richard Saltonstall Gerald Scarborough Bryce Gilbert Scott Barry Seal Leonard Tetley Seed Rev Samuel Sharpe Edward Butterworth Shaw Dr George Shaw John Ewart Shillito Harry George Spencer Short Roland Woolfall Siddall William Mills Smeeton Sir Matthew Arnold Bracy Smith Oliver Smithies William (Billy) Somerville Richard Stafford Rev Samuel John Stancliffe George Stansfeld Raywood Micklethwait Stansfeld Colonel Robert Stansfeld Sir Walter Stansfield Edwin Stewart Arthur Hudson Stocks Arthur Hudson Stocks Charles Clifford Stott Frank Gordon Stott John Garside Sugden Thomas Lister Joseph Sunderland Canon Richard Dawson Swallow Ernest Edward Sykes Abraham Thomas Herbert Edward Thompson Archbishop John Tillotson John Ralph Tillotson Louis F. Tinker Oswald Edward Meader Travis Gordon Stafford Wade Arnold Edgar Walker Philip Walker J. E. Walton Julian Merrall Walton Keighley Walton Alan Waring Arthur James Waring Roy Watling Andrew Watson Eric Webster George Whitehead Frank Allison Whiteley Harry Whitley Andrew Wilkinson Percy Wilson Ronald Edward Wilson Frank Wolfenden Arthur Gordon Wood Leslie Woodhead Donald Wright
Please email me if you can add the names of any masters or teachers at the school
See Alexander & Hammerton, Crossley-Heath School, Bryan Crowther, Heath Grammar School Memorial, Heath Grammar School: Memorial Gates, Heath Grammar School: Grace, Heath Grammar School: Seal, Heath School House and Dr Cyril Jackson
Page Ref: KK_7
|site search by freefind