Mount Zion Methodist Chapel, Ogden and the adjoining chapel-keeper's cottage were built in 1773 by a group led by James Riley.
The founders included Timothy Akroyd, James Riley, and Luke Shaw.
In April 1790, a year before his death, John Wesley preached his last sermon in the north of England here. During the service, he was so frail he had to be supported by two friends, one on either side of him in the pulpit.
James Akroyd and other members of the family were leaders at Mount Zion where they took the Kilhamite stance.
Around 1797, Kilhamites locked the doors and took over the chapel, and expelled the Wesleyans who then founded Illingworth Moor Wesleyan Chapel.
The original chapel was demolished and rebuilt in 1815. The cottage is still the original building. This is the oldest surviving Methodist New Connexion chapel.
The interior was refurbished in 1881 by Leeming & Leeming. There are 170 pews on the ground floor and 180 places in the gallery.
The sundial which is placed high on the wall is inscribed Mount Sion 1773 and comes from the original chapel.
An upstairs room in the Chapel House was used as a resting room by the Ministers, and is known as The Prophet's Chamber.
A memorial to Walter Robinson, the driver in the Pye Nest Tram Disaster, stands in the grounds.
The church houses a selection of Methodist ceramics and local memorabilia collected by Horace Hird.
The organ was built in 1892 by Charles Anneessens et fils, Grommont, Belgium. This has recently been refurbished and a new blower installed.
In 1887, a grave digger found a slab of stone; beneath the stone was a 19 ins high urn buried within a stone cist. There were cremated bones inside the urn, and these were identified as being those of an adult female and some of a child.
The Sunday school – Mount Sion – still stands nearby.
|Sextons at the Chapel
Sextons at the Church have included
The Chapel has been included on the list of sites which are open to the public on Heritage Open Days.
See Luke Clayton, Mount Zion Methodist Chapel, Ogden: Memorial and Mount Zion Methodist Chapel, Ogden: Graveyard
Page Ref: KK_81
|site search by freefind