Saint Mary the Virgin, Luddenden

St Mary the Virgin, Luddenden – or Luddenden Parish Church – stands near Luddenden Brook.

There have been 3 churches on the site.

In 1840, John Jowett and Thomas Spencer – two well-known Chartists – were arrested and convicted of stealing lead from the church roof and using this to make bullets for their cause.

The churchyard was closed for burials in 1853.

Luddenden Cemetery was opened in 1860

A new chancel - designed by Ralph Nicholson – was added in 1866 with subscriptions from people including

The organ was built by Abbott & Smith [1899]. Details can be found in the National Pipe Organ Register, and details in National Pipe Organ Register.

The church was extended in 1910. On 20th April 1910, Mrs Annie Murgatroyd laid a stone to mark the extension to the Chancel.

An altar carved by Harry Percy Jackson was transferred from St Mary the Virgin, Luddendenfoot. There are monuments to James Farrer, and William Grimshaw. The table tomb of James Murgatroyd is listed.

There is a bridge between the Church and the churchyard.

In the churchyard, there is a stone cross. A list of some of the Vicars of Saint Mary the Virgin, Luddenden is given in a separate Foldout Churchwardens here have included

The records for the Church are held at the West Yorkshire Archive Service office in Wakefield (Collection WDP39): Baptisms [1653-1957], Banns [1840-1989], Marriages [1661-1996] and Burials [1653-1923].

See James Bradley, Luddenden Bridge, Luddenden Cemetery, Luddenden Vicarage, St Mary's School, Luddenden, St Mary the Virgin, Luddenden: War Memorial, St Mary the Virgin, Luddenden: Graveyard, Vicarage Mill, Luddenden and St Mary the Virgin, Luddenden: Vicars

© Malcolm Bull 2023
Revised 14:54 / 21st January 2023 / 9195

Page Ref: KK_82

search tips advanced search
site search by freefind