Mills & Mines

F



A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z


F mill, Dean CloughRef 15-1231

Fairfield Works, HolmfieldRef 15-991
209 Shay Lane.


Owners and tenants of the works have included

 

Fairlea Mills, LuddendenfootRef 15-F268
Built in 1907/8 for spinning & weaving cotton waste, & making sheets, bedspreads, cotton blankets, rope, twine & carpets. Next to Holme Royd Mills.

Owned by the Fairlea Mill Company Limited.


Owners and tenants of the mills have included

 

On 21st March 1928, there was a fire at the mill.

The mill closed in 1982.

Part of the building has been demolished

Falcon Brewery, SalterhebbleRef 15-1004
Run by George Swift

Fall Spring Wood Quarry, StainlandRef 15-952
Stone quarry in Fall Spring Woods.


Owners and tenants of the quarry have included

 

See Ben Illingworth

Fall Works, ShelfRef 15-1155
A small spinning factory near Kester Falls. There may also have been a tannery here

Farcroft Mill, OvendenRef 15-18

Farrar Mill Dye Works, SalterhebbleRef 15-34
Farrar Mill Lane.


Owners and tenants of the works have included

 

Farrar's Mill, EllandRef 15-1265
South Lane.

Recorded on 27th January 1876, when it was destroyed by fire and, in newspaper reports of the event, the mill was described as

a large card manufactory and worsted and woollen mill ... 5 storeys high, with a garret, 12 windows long, and 6 wide at one end and 4 at the other


Question: Does anyone know the correct identity of the mill?

 

The mill was owned by J. & J. Farrar and occupied by

  • Sykes, Morley & Company
  • S. & A. Marsden
  • K. Sowden & Company

Farrar's Mill, LuddendenfootRef 15-1181
Fulling mill on Luddenden Brook owned by Henry Farrar [1588].

A Foldout describes the 1599 dispute between Michael Foxcroft and Farrar over the water rights to their mills which stood on opposite banks of the brook.

The mill was demolished in 1???.

The Weavers' Arms stands on the site of the mill

Fearnley Mill, Dean CloughRef 15-375
Now a part of the Dean Clough Complex

Fearnought Works, HalifaxRef 15-642
Akroyd Place, North Parade.


Owners and tenants of the works have included

 

Feathers Mill, TodmordenRef 15-1304
A part of Anchor Mill, Todmorden

Fenton Road Mills, HalifaxRef 15-1023


Owners and tenants of the mills have included

 

Fenton Works, HalifaxRef 15-F297
Thornton Terrace / Fenton Road / Queens Road.


Owners and tenants of the works have included

 

Fern House Mill, TodmordenRef 15-403

Ferney Lee Mill, TodmordenRef 15-103
Ferney Street. Cotton mill.


Owners and tenants of the mill have included

 

Fielding's Chemical Works, NorlandRef 15-420
Recorded in the 19th century

Fink Hill Quarry, HipperholmeRef 15-424


Owners and tenants of the quarry have included

 

Firth House Mills, ScammondenRef 15-1360
At the bottom of Dean Head Valley.
a short distance from Firth House Paper Mill


Owners and tenants of the mills have included

 

The mill was destroyed by fire on 25th January 1900

See Dean Head Light Railway

Firth House Mills, StainlandRef 15-F295
Aka Firth House Paper Mills.

On the Black Brook at the bottom of Penny Hill.

There were several paper-making businesses here.


Owners and tenants of the mills have included

 

The mill was destroyed by fire on 25th January 1900

The mill closed around 2005 and was sold to MCN Construction who developed the site into luxury apartments, following planning details and architectural work handled by Anthony Sargeant prior to the sale.

The original mill building and its chimney have been preserved

See Dean Head Light Railway, Firth House Mills, Scammonden, Rowland Norcliffe and Upper Firth House Mill, Stainland

Firth Mill, TodmordenRef 15-350
On 10th December 1967, the mill was gutted by fire

Firth's Mills, Bailiff BridgeRef 15-233
The mills of T. F. Firth & Company were an important feature of Bailiff Bridge.

See Clifton Mill and Victoria Mill

Five Acre Quarries, EllandRef 15-563
Upper Edge.


Owners and tenants of the quarries have included

 

The quarries have been filled in

Flat Head Quarry, SoylandRef 15-1157
Aka Flat Head Delph.

The body of Betty Hellowell was found here [1862].

See Flat Head, Soyland

Flatt's Pit, CliftonRef 15-1130
Coal mine. Recorded in 1851 Later known as Black Flat Pit, Clifton

Fletcher's Mill, Dean CloughRef 15-377
Small 2-storey mill.

(Possibly) owned by H. Fletcher & Company Limited [1905] or Fletcher Brothers.

It is said that there was a rope bridge near the mill in the 1930s/1940s.


Question: Does anyone know anything about such a rope bridge?

 

The building has been converted to offices

Folley Mill, TodmordenRef 15-325

Folly Hall MillsRef 15-580
Location ?


Owners and tenants of the mills have included

 

Folly Mill, LangfieldRef 15-859
Late 18th century / early 19th century mill on Lumbutts Clough. In 1811, the mill operated 3456 spindles.


Owners and tenants of the mill have included

 

Ford Hill Colliery, QueensburyRef 15-F190
Coal was discovered here on 4th January 1900.


Owners and tenants of the colliery have included

 

A building and a spoil tip remain

Forest Mills, OvendenRef 15-19
Club Lane.


Owners and tenants of the mills have included

 

Foster Mill, Hebden BridgeRef 15-138
Next to Hebden Vale Iron Works on Victoria Road / Foster Lane, Wadsworth.

There was a corn mill, then a fulling mill [in the 17th century]. Around 1808, it was converted to a worsted spinning mill.

In 1851, it was described as 6-storeys and was driven by an iron waterwheel 36 ft in diameter and 14½ ft wide, a 23 hp engine, and a 16 hp engine.

The mill was destroyed by fire on 1st December 1828, 14th December 1853, and 17th May 1888

In 1888, it was one of the largest cotton spinning mills in the valley.

After the fire, the mill was rebuilt by Redman Brothers.

On 27th April 1891, photographs of the neighbourhood were taken from the top of 168-foot high chimney by R. S. Blackburn. The day was dull and the negatives not very clear.


Owners and tenants of the mill have included

 

The building was demolished in 1985.

The base of the mill chimney is still visible.

The houses of Spring Grove and Grove Road were built on the site

See Foster Mill Bridge and Foster family of Erringden

Foster Mill, TodmordenRef 15-328

Foul Clough Coal Mine, TodmordenRef 15-F60
Inchfield. Mentioned in 1792.

About 1800, brothers John and Reuben Haigh, and their father John Haigh, began to develop coal measures under the pasture called Foul Clough on Inchfield Moor and continued to work these until 1823, when they purchased Top of All Farm from the trustees of John Travis for £1400.

Later, when the mine was exhausted, the brothers made a new entrance to the coal pit at Coolham.

Fountain Head BreweryRef 15-F53

Four Day Work Mill, MytholmroydRef 15-604
Cotton mill built in 1836 by John Edmundson.

It was renamed Westfield Mill

Four Gates End Mill, Cragg ValeRef 15-1392
The Mill burnt down [1863] and then rebuilt

Four Lane End Colliery, ShibdenRef 15-F175
Shibden Valley. Coal mine owned by John Cawthra [1883].

On 12th May 1870, 2 of Cawthra's sons died after falling to the bottom of the shaft when the rope broke.

The wall surrounding the circular area where the horse walked to drive the machinery can still be seen

Four Mills, HalifaxRef 15-185
Stood alongside the Hebble.


Owners and tenants have included

 

See John Carpmael

Foxcroft's Mill, LuddendenfootRef 15-1199
Fulling mill on Luddenden Brook owned by Michael Foxcroft [1588]

A Foldout describes the 1593 feud between Foxcroft and Samuel Wade over water rights at the mill.

A Foldout describes the 1599 dispute between Foxcroft and Henry Farrar over the water rights to their mills which stood on opposite banks of the brook.

It was later known as Luddendenfoot Mill

Freeman's Mills, BrookfootRef 15-192
A corn mill which stood on the banks of the Calder

Frieldhurst Mill, CornholmeRef 15-330
Aka Varley's Dye Works, Law Mill. Ing Bottom. In 1795, the mill was recorded as a cotton mill. It became a corn mill and then a cotton mill again. In 1811, it was operating 1920 spindles. It was a room and power factory and then a dye works.


Owners and tenants have included

 

The disused mill dam was known as Varley's Pool, Todmorden

Frith's Brewery. TodmordenRef 15-F643
Dulesgate.


Owners and tenants have included

 

Friths Mill, WalsdenRef 15-106
Bacup Road, Dulesgate. In 1834, William Helliwell built a new mill on the opposite side of the road to Friths Old Mill, Walsden of 1802.

The Old Mill and this new Mill, they were known collectively as Friths Mills.

He, and later his widow and daughters, ran this new Mill.

Subsequent owners and tenants have included

 

In 1900, there were extensive alterations to the mill, and a new engine – with cylinders named Grace and Rachel – was started by Robert Barker.

It was demolished in 19??.

Friths Old Mill, WalsdenRef 15-1323
Bacup Road.

Built in 1802 by brothers John and Thomas Helliwell.

Owners and tenants have included

In 1834, William Helliwell built Friths New Mill, Walsden on the opposite side of the road.

The Old Mill and the new Mill, they were known collectively as Friths Mills.

In 1???, it became St Aidan's Church Mission.

It was still in use as workshops [2008]

Frithswood Bottom Mill, TodmordenRef 15-295
Bacup Road, Walsden

Frost Stud Works, EllandRef 15-765
Wakefield Road / Upper Edge.


Owners and tenants of the works have included

 

Frostholme Mill, CornholmeRef 15-F102
Steam-powered cotton-weaving mill built in 1860.

It has a single storey shed and multi-storeyed warehouse.

It is recorded that

the first cotton was put through the scutcher 20th June 1868


Owners and tenants of the mill have included

 

In 1884-1885, the shed was enlarged to designs by Proctor & Hinnall of Bolton.

In 1892-3, it was enlarged to designs by John Richard Blacka.

The shed and the warehouse were rebuilt after being badly damaged by fire on 17th January 1896.

The warehouse was rebuilt as a 4 storey building with offices and a boiler house to designs by John R. Blacka.

In 1905, there was a strike of weavers here.


A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z


© Malcolm Bull 2019
Revised 16:09 /8th October 2019 / m408_f / 38286

search tips advanced search
site search by freefind

web counter