Mills & Mines

K



A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z


Kebroyd Lower Mill
One of the Kebroyd Mills at Triangle. This was originally a corn mill. It was converted for cotton-spinning in 1790.

In 1803, it was a 5-storey mill measuring 60 ft by 36 ft.


Owners and tenants of the mill have included

 

Kebroyd Middle Mill
One of the Kebroyd Mills at Triangle. This was built for Thomas and John Hadwen shortly before 1803. It was a 5-storey mill measuring 75 ft by 31 ft. A warehouse was added in 1804.


Owners and tenants of the mill have included

 

It was later used for silk-spinning

Kebroyd Mills, Triangle
There were 2 fulling mills and a corn mill here. The mills were fed by Lumb Clough.

Several mills were recorded on the site: Kebroyd Upper Mill, Kebroyd Middle Mill, Kebroyd Lower Mill, and Dene Mill.

See Ann Crabtree's School and Samuel Hill

Kebroyd Upper Mill
One of the Kebroyd Mills at Triangle. The original fulling mill was used for cotton spinning from the late 18th century.


Owners and tenants of the mill have included

 

Keighley Mill, Halifax
Pellon Lane. On 29th January 1915, there was a serious fire when the mills were owned by Smith Bulmer & Company

Kensington Works, Siddal
Siddal Lane.

Aka Kensington Wool Preparing Works [21st April 1871.]


Owners and tenants of the works have included

 

Recorded as disused in 1907

Kershaw Mill, Heptonstall
Built by James Kershaw around 1834. It was destroyed by fire in 1843

Kershaw Mills, Halifax


Owners and tenants of the mills have included

 

Key Syke Iron Works, Todmorden


Owners and tenants of the works have included

 

Kidnapper Coal Mine, Todmorden

Kiln End Mills, Elland
Millgate. Aka Old Kiln End Mills. This was originally the malt-kiln. Around 1794, it was converted to the first steam-powered mill in Elland.

In the early 19th century, this, Grove Mills and Marshall Hall Mills were the only woollen mills in Elland.


Owners and tenants of the mills have included

 

King Cross Mills, Halifax


Owners and tenants of the mills have included

 

King's Mills, Elland
They were flooded when the Calder rose on 18th October 1827

Kings Mill, Soyland
A later name for Upper Swift Place Mill, Soyland

Kingston Biscuit Factory, Halifax
Hopwood Lane, Occupied by Whittaker's Biscuits.

It became Kingston Toffee Mills, Halifax.

See Ebenezer Biscuit Works, Halifax

Kingston Brass Works, Halifax
Hopwood Lane.


Owners and tenants of the works have included

 

Kingston Confectionery Works, Halifax
Between Queens Road and Hammond Street, at the junction with Mackintosh Street.

Built by Mackintosh's in 1899.

It was damaged by fire in 1909. Using the insurance money, production moved to Albion Mills.

The Queens Road site closed in 1986.

In 1999, it was converted into a business complex

Kingston Lathe Works, Halifax
Hopwood Lane.


Owners and tenants of the works have included

 

Kingston Toffee Mills, Halifax
Hopwood Lane. It was Kingston Biscuit Factory before becoming the confectionery-making factory of Riley's Toffees. The mill was famous for its 120 ft high chimney with the company's name picked out in glazed white bricks, each letter being almost 7 ft tall.

The mill was damaged by fire on 2nd January 1918

Kingwood Mills, Sowerby Bridge
Asquith Bottom.


Owners and tenants of the mills have included

 

Kirbroyd Quarry, Hipperholme


Owners and tenants of the quarry have included

 

Kirk Lane Quarry, Hipperholme


Owners and tenants of the quarry have included

 

Kirklees Iron Works, Brighouse
Mill Lane, Brighouse.


Owners and tenants of the works have included

 

Kirklees Mill, Brighouse

Kitchen's Pottery, Elland
In 1868, Titus Kitchen set up a pottery in Elland. This operated from 1868 to 1920

Kitson's Fire Clay Works, Elland
Between Lindley and Elland. Owned by Kitson & Son.

There was a fatal explosion here on 20th June 1868

See Woodman Works, Elland

Kitson's Pottery, Siddal

Kitson Wood Mill, Stansfield
Aka Naylor's Mill

Knowl Mill, Todmorden
Built in 1790 by ? Crossley

Knowlwood Bottom Mill, Walsden
Founded by Abraham Crossley in 1786.

This was the first mill be built in the Todmorden valley.


Owners and tenants of the mill have included

 

Knowlwood Delph Quarries, Walsden
Sandstone quarries. The stone from here was used in the construction of Todmorden Town Hall.

See Rock Terrace Grindstone, Todmorden

Krumlin Mills, Barkisland


Owners and tenants of the works have included

 


A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z



© Malcolm Bull 2017 / calderdale@aol.com
Revised 11:28 on 25th October 2017 / m408_k / 19