Mills & Mines

S



A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z


Sainsbury's SupermarketsRef 15-1371
The company has outlets in the district, some purpose-built, other established in existing property.

See Airport, North Bridge Railway Station, Sainsbury's Advertisement and Victoria Mills, Brighouse

Saint Anne's Quarry, SouthowramRef 15-1177
Recorded in 1883, when it was sold by

Saint John's Works, HalifaxRef 15-661
St John's Lane.


Owners and tenants of the works have included

 

Saint Peg Mills, BrighouseRef 15-S741
Bradford Road. Built in 1909 on the site of a reservoir for Thornhill Briggs Mill.


Owners and tenants of the mill have included

 

Salem Mills, Hebden BridgeRef 15-S855
Salem Street / Market Street.

Cotton mill.


Owners and tenants of the mills have included

 

Salford Card Works, BrighouseRef 15-1002


Owners and tenants of the works have included

 

Salford Mill, TodmordenRef 15-120
Aka Steam Mill, Salford Steam Factory. This was one of the first steam-powered mills in the area. In 1811, the mill operated 3072 spindles.


Owners and tenants of the mill have included

 

The mill was converted into shops and houses

Salford Old Foundry, TodmordenRef 15-1317
Owners and tenants have included

Salford Works, Hebden BridgeRef 15-495


Owners and tenants of the works have included

 

Salt Pie Mill, HeptonstallRef 15-635
Aka Edge Mill, New Edge Mill. Built around 1807 by William Sutcliffe.

Subsequent owners and tenants have included

Salterhebble Cotton Company MillRef 15-1266
Salterhebble.

Built by the Salterhebble Cotton Spinning Company. On 30th August 1886, their mill was badly damaged by fire

Salterhebble MillRef 15-553
The site on which the mill stood had previously been wharfages and warehouses of the Canal Company which had been destroyed by fire around 1830.

The mill was built around 1860, by the Skircoat Cotton Manufacturing Company. Because of the cotton famine, cotton production failed and the mill and machinery were sold at auction. It was bought by Samuel Shepherd.

The mill burned down on 19th June 1871.

There was a fire at the mill on 24th November 1930.


Owners and tenants of the mill have included

 

Salterhebble Sewage WorksRef 15-S9
Constructed between 1899 and 1911 on the site of the former Salterhebble Abattoir. Formally opened on 6th February 1901.

It was extended in 1907 to handle commercial effluent.

It is still in operation today.

See Halifax Corporation Sewage Department

Salterlee Mills, HalifaxRef 15-441
Shibden.


Owners and tenants of the mills have included

 

Sand Beds Mill, OvendenRef 15-949
Shay Lane.


Owners and tenants of the mill have included

 

Sandbeds Sewage Works, CharlestownRef 15-S786
In 1901, Todmorden Council began to build a sewage works on the site of St James's cricket field at Mutterhole Plain or Mutterhole Holme. This involved diverting the course of the Calder.

The cost of sewers and the disposal works was around £100,000.

The works were formally opened on 17th October 1908 by Mayor Abraham Crossley

Sandholme Iron Works, TodmordenRef 15-1128
On 23rd July 1907, the works were damaged by fire

Sandholme Mill, TodmordenRef 15-338
Key Syke Lane / Commercial Street. Size house and cotton mill.


Owners and tenants of the mill have included

 

Sandholme Rope Works, TodmordenRef 15-1043
Commercial Street

Sandymere Quarry, ShelfRef 15-787


Owners and tenants of the quarry have included

 

Saunders Clough Colliery, TodmordenRef 15-1044
Bacup Road, Dulesgate

Savile Mill, ColdenRef 15-341
18th century worsted and cotton spinning mill on Colden Clough

Savile Mill, HalifaxRef 15-186
Bull Close Lane / Brassey Street / Savile Park Road.

The chimney at the mill was blown down by winds on 21st February 1850.

On 1st February 1866, Halifax Corporation had to pay £1300 to John Crossley for the land required to make Bull Close Lane wider at a point opposite Savile Mills.

In 1905, the mill was used for making toffee.


Owners and tenants of the mill have included

 

The mill was later known as Brunswick Mills

Saville's Brick Works, SiddalRef 15-1401
Recorded in September 1871, when it was owned by Jonathan Saville, and a bricklayer, Arthur Sarratt was killed whilst erecting a chimney at the works

Scaitcliffe Mill, TodmordenRef 15-292
A 19th century corn mill.


Owners and tenants of the mill have included

 

It was destroyed by fire in the 1940s. The mill house is still standing

Scaitcliffe Picker Works, TodmordenRef 15-710


Owners and tenants of the works have included

 

See Picker

Scammonden Cotton MillsRef 15-684
Registered in 1861. The business wound up in 1865, possibly a victim of the Cotton Famine.

See George Lumb

Scar Mill, RastrickRef 15-1108
Scar Mill Cliff. Recorded in 1724, when Malon Cooper was a serge weaver here

Scar Mills, Upper GreetlandRef 15-1410

Owners and tenants have included

Scarborough Mills, HalifaxRef 15-S655
Aka Trafalgar Mills, Halifax.

Worsted mills established by Thomas Smith Scarborough and his brothers at Haugh Shaw Road, King Cross.


Owners and tenants of the mills have included

 

The mills were demolished in 1996, and a Tesco store was built on the site [1997]

Scarbottom Mill, EllandRef 15-S847

Scarbottom Mill, MytholmroydRef 15-600
Fustian mill.

Scarbottom Cottages, Mytholmroyd are nearby.

It was demolished in 19??.

There is a housing estate – known as The Brook – on the site.


Owners and tenants of the mill have included

 

Scarr Bottom Mills, GreetlandRef 15-716


Owners and tenants of the mills have included

 

School Field Quarries, RastrickRef 15-789
Stone quarry.


Owners and tenants of the quarry have included

 

Scotland Quarry, MidgleyRef 15-469
Supplied the stone for the construction of many local houses.


Owners and tenants of the quarries have included

 

Scout QuarryRef 15-914
Recorded in 1869, when Joseph Baron of Mount Tabor was fatally injured here

Scout Quarry, NorthowramRef 15-939


Owners and tenants of the quarry have included

 

Sedburgh Mills, HalifaxRef 15-38
Sedburgh Road, Siddal.

AKA Sedburgh Wire Mill.


Owners and tenants of the mills have included

 

Sedburgh Wire Mill, HalifaxRef 15-161
AKA Sedburgh Mills, Halifax.

Recorded in 1915

Seedlings Mount Brewery, HalifaxRef 15-S33
Around 1860, Richard Whitaker bought land called Seedlings, Seedlings Mount, or Neddy Haigh's Field. There he built his new Seedlings Mount Brewery. This started production in 1867.

It was later called the Cock o' the North brewery.

The brewery was extended in 1893 and 1899. Some of the work was done by J. F. Walsh.

It was demolished in 1973.

See Sydel-Ing and Whitaker's Brewery

Sentry Edge Delfs, WarleyRef 15-1235
Recorded on maps produced in 1854.

See Sentry Edge, Warley

Seventeens Pit, HartsheadRef 15-478
Coal mine.


Owners and tenants of the pit have included

 

3 people were seriously burned in a fire-damp explosion at the pit on 26th July 1859

Severhills Mill, RippondenRef 15-413
In 1799/1802, John Broadhead and John Holroyd built a cotton mill here.

It stood on Severhills Clough.


Owners and tenants of the mill have included

 

Shade Mill, TodmordenRef 15-293
Aka Low Moor Mill, Todmorden. A mill is recorded here in the 1840s.

It was owned by the Sutcliffe family.

Young Helliwell and Fielden Holt were here for about 8 years [late 1890s].

Todmorden Commercial Spinning & Manufacturing Company began business here in the 1850s before building Alma Mill, Walsden.


Subsequent owners and tenants of the mill have included

 

The mill was demolished in 19??. A block of flats stands on the site.

See Shade

Shade Picker Works, TodmordenRef 15-360


Owners and tenants of the works have included

 

See Picker

Shaking Delph, SouthowramRef 15-1210
Sandstone quarry in the Walterclough Valley. Recorded in 1855. Disused in 1934

Sharneyford Brick Works, TodmordenRef 15-708


Owners and tenants of the works have included

 

Shaw Bridge Mill, HipperholmeRef 15-S745
Halifax Road [?]

Shaw Hill Chemical WorksRef 15-191
Recorded on maps produced in 1854

Shaw Lane Mill, IllingworthRef 15-212
Built around 1793.


Owners and tenants of the mill have included

 

Shaw Lodge Mills: ChimneyRef 15-1247
The tapered octagonal chimney at Shaw Lodge Mills, Halifax is dated 1855.

It is connected to the engine house by a tunnel which passes underneath Boys Lane

It is listed

Shaw Lodge Mills, HalifaxRef 15-S715
Designed by Sir Charles Barry.

Built on land, much of which was acquired from Addison and Leonard Duncan.

These were the main factory of John Holdsworth & Company Limited from 1830.

The mills, the mill gas plant, and the chimney [1855] are Grade II* listed.

In February 2006, plans were announced to convert half of the buildings on the site to

... create a new community here ... [with] ... a combination of residential, workplaces, offices and facilities like a health centre, dental practice, shops and sport complexes

In July 2006, the Courier carried details of proposals for a

new, single-storey, purpose-built environment

which would free up the Victorian mill complex for redevelopment into a village with 16 new buildings and 10 refurbished buildings to provide ...

... 34 town houses, 31 retirement homes and 420 apartments ... more than 100,000 sq ft of office space is planned, a medical centre, a 69-bedroom hotel, conference facilities, a health club, gym, tennis court and clubhouse, restaurants and shops, including a chemist and village store ... [and] ... a large multi-storey car park

In June 2007, councillors rejected the proposal on account of the restricted access to the site.

In February 2008, planners gave permission for an £80 million urban village at the Mills – and they wonder why nobody has any faith or trust in councillors and politicians ... a few days later, the company announced that it would close.

See Shaw Lodge Mills Dead Brief Society

Shaw Mill, MixendenRef 15-612
Or Shaw's Mill. Straight Lane. 19th century mill built on the site of the Mixenden Fulling Mill.


Owners and tenants of the mill have included

 

It was gutted by fire on 1st December 1926

Shay Lane Mill, HolmfieldRef 15-169
Built by Watts Wrigley for silk-spinning [1833].

The mill was 6 storeys high and 18 windows long.

About 1840, Henry Ambler converted it to worsted spinning.

The mill was destroyed by fire on 3rd February 1872.

From 1865 until about 1900, it was owned by John Crossley & Sons – then trading as the Ovenden Worsted Company.

Crossley's also maintained a school here for their young employees, of whom many were part-timers. The school was underneath the mill.

In 1905, Page, Arnold & Company Limited began the manufacture and printing of wallpapers here.

Subsequently, the premises were acquired by Smith Bulmer & Company.

The mill was bought by Drakes Limited and reduced to a single storey workshop

Shear Barrow Colliery, CliftonRef 15-1144
Birkhouse Lane. Coal mine. Recorded in 1851

Sheard's Brewery, PellonRef 15-S7
Little Brackenbed. Established by Jonathan Sheard in 18??. Recorded in 1874.

Closed in 1???

Shelf foundryRef 15-52
Aka Shelf Iron Works. Established in 1794 by John Crawshaw, Samuel Aydon, and William Elwell.

By 1797, they were known as Aydon & Elwell.

Their work included

  • They pioneered the use of cast iron for the main beam of beam engines
  • They built Gas Works Road Bridge, Sowerby Bridge [1818]
  • They supplied cranes, lifts and jibs for the wood wharves at East India Docks, London. [1816/1817]
  • In 1825, they won a large contract to produce shot and shells for the East India Company, and were making 100 tons of shot a week. Shot for grape and carronade was produced at the Low Moor furnace

By 1806, they had acquired mineral rights in the Wibsey area, and were operating 2 blast furnaces.

It was associated with coal mines at

  • Wibsey [which was owned by Charles North in 1869]. The Shelf works were connected by waggonways to Wibsey, and directly to Low Moor
  • Little Horton [which was owned by John Bottomley in 1869]

In September 1821, the Aydon & Elwell partnership was dissolved by mutual consent. Aydon carried on the business of making cast iron goods on his own account. Elwell carried on the business of making pig iron on his own account.

In 1824, the business was declared bankrupt, and was taken over by Low Moor Iron Company, Norwood Green.

In 1824, an amalgamation of Low Moor and Shelf ironworks was reported, when there was an increase in the demand for pig iron.

In 1836, there were 3 furnaces at Shelf, and 6 at Low Moor.

In 1849, production ceased at Shelf.

The iron master's house became Shelf Vicarage.

Closed in 1???. Demolished in 1???.

A housing estate now stands on the site

Shelf MillsRef 15-516
Wade House Road.


Owners and tenants of the works have included

 

Shelf PotteryRef 15-S1848
Aka Pepper Hill

Shelf Sewage WorksRef 15-827
Opened on 1st March 1907

Shelf Vitriol WorksRef 15-518
Run by Lewis Walker until he sold the business to Henry Ellinson of Cleckheaton in March 1903.

See Vitriol

Shibden Hall BrickworksRef 15-1115
An advertisement for the business in June 1880 announced


SHIBDEN HALL BRICKWORKS, Near Halifax

Superior Hand-made Plastic Bricks

1st quality, pressed, 20s per 1,000
2nd quality, unpressed, 18s per 1,000

NB. Chamfered and Stop Chamfered Bricks made to order

5 per cent allowed for cash

Shibden Hall CollieryRef 15-616
Shibden Valley. Coal and fireclay.

Several accidents were recorded here in the 19th century

Shibden Head BreweryRef 15-S23
Owned by Joseph Stocks & Company.

The business was bought by Webster's [30th December 1932].

See Shibden Head and Whitehall, Hipperholme

Shibden MillRef 15-252
The manorial corn mill here is mentioned in 1308.

The mill was driven by the Shibden Brook.


Owners and tenants of the mill have included

 

In 1562, local tenants were granted permission to take their corn to the mill instead of Rastrick Mill as the Lord of the Manor of Brighouse required.

Around 1665, it was owned by the Lister's – Samuel Lister – of Shibden Hall.

William Shepherd is recorded here in 1681.

Around 1699, George Bottomley was granted a lease on the mill by Samuel Lister.

In the early 1800s, it was converted to a worsted mill.


Subsequent owners and tenants of the mill have included

 

After the mill burned down 4th February 1859, it remained unoccupied for some time.

There was a maypole here until the mid-19th century

On 5th August 1890, the property was sold to Webster's brewery. It became the Shibden Mill Inn.

The present inn was the miller's home.

This is discussed in the books Halifax Antiquarian Society Transactions and Our Home & Country.

See Dam Head, Shibden and Shibden Mill Dam

Shoot Pit, BoothtownRef 15-1298
19th century coal mine beneath Swales Moor

Shore Mills, TodmordenRef 15-1390
The mills were demolished in ????.

See Shore War Memorial

Shroggs Mills, Shroggs RoadRef 15-239
Power was from a waterwheel driven by the Hebble Brook.

A wire-manufacturing business was established here by Royston's in 1797.

The mill had its own dam to provide water for the plant, which was alongside the brook which supplied it.

The site is now buried under the Shroggs Tip

Siddal BrickworksRef 15-1147
Siddal Lane/Morton's Close. Joseph Morton was here after 1855.

The Ex-servicemen's club now stands on the site

Siddal Lane Chemical WorksRef 15-575


Owners and tenants of the works have included

 

Recorded as disused in 1907

Siddal PotteryRef 15-S1853
Aka Kitson's Pottery.

From around 1850, Titus Kitson had a pottery at Siddal. The Morton family took this over in 1858. It was then taken over by the Halliday family. It closed in 1???

Siddal Wells Mine, SouthowramRef 15-1288

See Siddal Wells Farm

Silk Mill, EllandRef 15-480
When Marshfield Mill, Elland was converted into flats, it was renamed The Silk Mill

Silk Mill, Hebden BridgeRef 15-369
Aka Eaves Bottom Mills, Hebden Bridge.

See Silk Industry

Simm Carr coal mine, ShibdenRef 15-S123
One of the coal mines owned by the Lister family of Shibden Hall. In 1726, a gin-horse was used raised coal to the surface

Simm Carr Clough drove a waterwheel which pumped water from the mine

Simplon Works, HalifaxRef 15-988
South Street, Halifax. The premises were opened in 1906, the same year that the Simplon Tunnel opened in the Alps.


Owners and tenants of the works have included

 

Skircoat Moor Quarries, HalifaxRef 15-840
Westfield Gate / Albert Promenade.


Owners and tenants of the quarries have included

 

Sladdin's Mill, RastrickRef 15-382
Jumble Dyke.

See The beck that runs through Rastrick and Crowtrees Mill, Rastrick

Slade Lane Mill, RastrickRef 15-29

Owners and tenants have included

On 16th June 1864, the mill was burned down

Sladen Wood Mill, TodmordenRef 15-1402
Recorded in 1914

Slaten Quarry, SouthowramRef 15-1344

Owners and tenants have included

  • W. Thwaite & Company

The quarry was filled in by J. & J. Fee [1970s]

Slater Ing Mill, HeptonstallRef 15-626

Slater's Mill, EllandRef 15-1260
Aka Exchange Mill, Elland

Slater's Quarry, SouthowramRef 15-466
Stone quarry at Bank Top, Southowram.


Owners and tenants of the works have included

 

Slead Mills, BrighouseRef 15-S743
Brookfoot.


Owners and tenants of the mill have included

 

Slead Syke Mill, BrighouseRef 15-S375
Built about 1790 by John Holland, this was one of the first mills in the district to produce worsted cloth.

On 16th August 1842, the mill was attacked during the Plug Riots

Slead Syke Quarry, BrighouseRef 15-1053
Aka Great Slead Quarry.


Owners and tenants of the quarry have included

 

In 1891, Stephen Lambert was killed by a rock fall at the quarry

Slitheroe Paper Mills, RishworthRef 15-242
16th century fulling mill.

Recorded in 1702.

Later, it was used for paper-making.

Owned by the trustees of Wheelwright's Charities.


Owners and tenants of the mill have included

 

Demolished in 19??.

Rishworth Trestle Bridge was nearby

See Lower Dyson Lane Mill, Rishworth

Slitheroe Works, RishworthRef 15-1387
Owners and tenants have included

Small Clews Pottery, BradshawRef 15-S119
Aka Small Clues Pottery. Pottery started by John Catherall and James Robinson around 1805. He traded as James Robinson & Company.

W. Wade joined him and they traded as Robinson & Wade. After Robinson's death, it is said that his widow continued as a partner.

It closed in 1879

Small Lees Mill, RippondenRef 15-S590
Elkanah Hoyle bought the fulling mill in 1796 with the intention of converting it to cotton production.

It was rebuilt as a cotton mill around 1801 by a partnership established by Elkanah Hoyle and Joshua Bates.

In August 1843, the mill, Cliffe Cottage, and Ryburn House Mill – occupied by the late John Holroyd – were amongst property advertised for sale

pursuant to an order made in a cause Binns vs Holroyd


Owners and tenants of the mill have included

 

The property was used by Pancreol Limited for the manufacture of chemicals.

Both parts of the mill have recently been converted into apartments, known as Spinners Hollow

See Ripponden Gas Supplies

Smith's Brush Works, HalifaxRef 15-1362
Parliament Street.

Recorded in 1891, when James William Bulmer started work here

Smithfield Mill, EllandRef 15-S849
South Lane. Cotton mill.


Owners and tenants of the mill have included

 

See Smithfield House, Elland and Joseph Whiteley

Smithson's Dyehouse, HalifaxRef 15-460
Lister Lane. Recorded in 1915

Smithyholme Mill, WalsdenRef 15-121
Built in 1794 by John Hardman.

From 1804, it was owned by brothers Robert, Thomas, and Samuel Law until about 1820 when they sold it to the Fielden family. The Laws then built a new mill at Ramsden Wood.

After leaving the Mason's Arms, Todmorden, the Primitive Methodists held meetings in the scutching room here. They later moved to their new Knowlwood Chapel

The mill had several occupants.

It is currently a Residential Care Home.

See Law Hey Farm, Walsden

Snake Hill Mill, RastrickRef 15-30


Owners and tenants of the works have included

 

Soap House PitRef 15-S278
Popular name for the old Hartshead Colliery. The name is said to come from the nearby Soap House Farm which may have been involved in the woollen industry in the area

Soft Bed Pit, SiddalRef 15-1106
Soft coal pit. Recorded in 1850.

See Hard Bed Pit, Siddal

Soil Hill PotteryRef 15-S1476
Aka Soil Hill Fireclay Works, and Swill Hill End Pottery.

Established by Jonathan Catherall at Soil Hill about 1784. The pottery produced flower pots, bread crocks, and mixing bowls from the hard bed fireclay – known as black pottery.

James Robinson was a partner with the Catheralls until around 1805 when he left to start Small Clews Pottery with John Catherall.

Jonathan Catherall carried on at Soil Hill until his death.

After his death [1807], his son Stephen took over the tenure of the Pottery

The business closed around 1880. Mr Wilcock tried unsuccessfully to carry on the business, and used the premises for breeding poultry.

Around 1883, the business was sold to John Kitson. He and – after his death – his family carried on the business. In 1897, Titus Kitson recommended the business to Isaac Button.

Isaac Button bought the company from the Kitsons for £800. Around 1900, Button rebuilt the pottery on a new site a little lower down the hill. The business remained in the Button family until it closed in 1965.

The kiln, drying shed and chimney are listed

Sour Hall Mill, TodmordenRef 15-1045
Aka Peel Mill

South Edge Quarry, HipperholmeRef 15-522
Or Southedge Quarry. On the west side of Brighouse Road.


Owners and tenants of the quarry have included

 

Filled in [1990s].

In May 2009, it was one of 3 local sites which had been earmarked by the Ministry of Justice as possible sites for new Titan prisons

South Edge Works, HipperholmeRef 15-1071
The building was part of Joseph Brookes of Hipperholme around 1900.


Owners and tenants of the works have included

 

South Grain Coal Mine, TodmordenRef 15-S254
Bacup Road, Dulesgate.

Drift coal mines on the land at Southgrain Farm, Dulesgate.

19th century coal mine owned by John Dearden

South Grove Mills, HalifaxRef 15-1261
Recorded in 1891, when Francis Fleming was here

South Lane Mills, EllandRef 15-S850


Owners and tenants of the mills have included

 

South Mill, HolmfieldRef 15-235
A part of Holmfield Mills. Built in 1873.

South Parade Joinery Works, HalifaxRef 15-1133
Owners and tenants have included Fielding & Bottomley [1911]

Southgate Iron Works, EllandRef 15-764
Casson Place / Huddersfield Road.


Owners and tenants of the works have included

 

Southgate Printing Works, EllandRef 15-784
Southgate.


Owners and tenants of the works have included

 

Southowram Bank MineRef 15-1284

Southowram QuarriesRef 15-1098
Foldout looks at some of the quarries in Southowram.

See Quarries

Sovereign Works, HalifaxRef 15-453
Sovereign Street, Lister Lane.

Frank Ford Limited were here

Sowerby Bridge Flour MillsRef 15-1127

Sowerby Bridge Gas WorksRef 15-S427
Chapel Lane. Built in 1835 at a cost of £7,500 which was raised in £10 shares.

Managers at the Works have included

From 1886, gas was also supplied to Luddendenfoot.

The site was cleared in 2001 and is now a housing development.

See Sowerby Bridge Gas Company, Wharf Street, Sowerby Bridge and Willow Hall Mill

Sowerby Bridge MillRef 15-839
Wharf Street / Bolton Brow.


Owners and tenants of the mill have included

 

Sowerby Bridge Mills, WarleyRef 15-S284
Aka Greenup's Mill

Sowerby Bridge Sewage WorksRef 15-826
On 27th March 1896, Frederic Jowett Scholefield, as Chairman of the Sewage Committee, cut the first sod at the ceremony to start the Sowerby Bridge Sewage Works at Milner Royd

See Joseph Greenwood

Soyland MillRef 15-S462
A number of corn mills are mentioned in Soyland from 1275 onwards.

Soyland Mill was used as a fulling mill from around 1378.

This mill, together with Lower Soyland Mill, Soyland and Upper Soyland Mill, Soyland are explicitly named in records.


Owners and tenants of the mills have included

 

In 1658, there was an affray when Nathan Hoyle of Lighthazles tried to remove items from the mill. At the enquiry, as shown in the Foldout, the witnesses were examined by John Hodgson of Coley Hall.

See Old Water Mill, Mill Bank, Severhills Mill, Ripponden and Soyland Mill Bridge

Soyland Paper MillRef 15-246
Aka Ryburndale Paper Mill.

Established in 1876 by John Leach at Upper Swift Place Mill, Soyland.

On 25th August 1901, the Mill was destroyed by fire. It was quickly rebuilt.

Subsequent owners and tenants have included

It closed in 1990.

Houses were built on the site

Owners and tenants have included

Spa Field Mills, EllandRef 15-S851
Dewsbury Road. The mills had the name written in white tiles on the chimney. Recorded in 1905. The mills were demolished in 19??


Owners and tenants of the mills have included

 

Spa Hole Mill, BlackshawheadRef 15-93
Aka Spa Mill. Water-powered mill on Jumble Hole Clough. Built around 1788.

A terrace of houses built for the workers stood opposite the mill.


Owners and tenants of the mill have included

 

The mill closed in the 1920s.

It was demolished in the 1930s

Spa Well Mill, EllandRef 15-554


Owners and tenants of the mill have included

 

In January 1843, the mill was completely destroyed.

On 15th December 1873, 3 people were killed when a boiler exploded at the mill.

On 22nd March 1879, fire gutted the building

Spaw Mill, EllandRef 15-1375

Recorded in 1843, when Jonas Fielding died after a fall at the Mill

Spiggs Quarry, Stump CrossRef 15-1069


Owners and tenants of the quarry have included

 

Spout Mills, RastrickRef 15-S740
Scribbling and spinning mills. Built in 1850 by William Helm and his sons – John and Thomas – behind Croft House.

The mill used the stream which runs down from Jagger Dam by way of Badger Hill.


Owners and tenants have included

 

The mill closed in the 1960s. The property was then used by several small businesses.

One 3-storey mill – full of carpets – destroyed by fire in 2001, and the buildings demolished.

The remainder of the mill was demolished in September/October 2005.

Houses were built on the site [2006]

Spring Bank Mills, HalifaxRef 15-S809
See John Atkinson & Sons Limited

Spring Bank Quarry, MixendenRef 15-921
Mill Lane.


Owners and tenants of the quarry have included

 

Spring Bank Saw Mill, BrighouseRef 15-965


Owners and tenants of the mill have included

 

Spring Bank Silk Spinning Mills, BrighouseRef 15-810


Owners and tenants of the mills have included

 

There was a stoppage on 29th October 1904, a consequence of bad trade

Spring Chemical Works, TodmordenRef 15-145
Springside.


Owners and tenants of the works have included

 

Spring Dye Works, TodmordenRef 15-122

Spring Hall Mill, Hebden BridgeRef 15-866


Owners and tenants of the mill have included

 

Spring Hall Mills, HalifaxRef 15-1213
Mile Cross Road / Spring Hall Lane.

Owners and tenants have included

Spring Hall Works, HalifaxRef 15-S854

Spring Head Brewery, Mount TaborRef 15-925
Moor End Road. Established by John Aspinall in 1853.


Owners and tenants of the brewery have included

 

See W. & J. Aspinall, New Inn, Mount Tabor and Shoulder of Mutton, Mount Tabor

Spring Mill, RishworthRef 15-1
Built around 1800.


Owners and tenants of the mill have included

 

Spring Mill, TodmordenRef 15-364
Springside. Built in 1???. Demolished in 1??? Shaw Wood Avenue stands on the site

Spring Mill, WainstallsRef 15-1186

This was the highest mill at Cold Edge. It was fed by Spring Dam / Black Field Dam with a goit to the mill. The water-wheel was 36 ft diameter, 5 ft wide.

The 3-storey stone-built mill was built in 1800 by the Emmett family and sold to Samuel Schorfield.

Owners and tenants have included

Calvert's used the Mill for warping, winding, spinning, and twisting.

The mill closed in 1939 as trade fell.

The water-wheel and the mill were demolished in June 1948.

See Spring, Wainstalls

Spring Mill, WalsdenRef 15-303
One of the Ramsden Wood Mills. It was built by brothers Thomas, Robert & Samuel Law in 1826.

Cranberry Dam supplied water to the Mill.

It was higher up Ramsden Clough and known as the top shop to distinguish it from the Ramsden Millthe bottom shop

In the 1840s, the mill was sold to Thomas Bottomley. Bottomley built some cottages for the workers

Spring Mills, HalifaxRef 15-1012
New Bank.


Owners and tenants of the mills have included

 

Springfield Dye Works, GreetlandRef 15-717
Saddleworth Road.


Owners and tenants of the works have included

 

See Greetland Dye Works

Springfield Woollen Mill, GreetlandRef 15-1241

Springfield Works, GreetlandRef 15-1239
Owners and tenants have included

Springhill Quarry, GreetlandRef 15-983

Springwood Mill, TodmordenRef 15-94
Built about 1840 by John Hodgson. He later began making bobbins here.


Owners and tenants of the mill have included

  • John Chambers & Company [1877]
 

Springwood Mills, EllandRef 15-V399
/ Holywell Green.


Owners and tenants of the mills have included

 

Square Mill, MytholmroydRef 15-599
Scout Road.

Aka Square Shed.

Built in the 1860s by James Wilcock & Son.


Owners and tenants of the mill have included

 

In 1907, it was used to manufacture clog soles

Square Mill, WainstallsRef 15-S523
Aka Hoyle Bottom Mill, Hole Bottom Mill [1852].

It is likely that the mill was once used for the manufacture of rope – Rope Walk leads from Lumb to the Mill – and later for the production of blankets – Tenterfield is nearby.

It was a small, 2-storey, square (in plan) building.

It became a cotton mill.

It was converted to worsted spinning around 1825.

It was originally water-powered. The Dam was alongside the Mill [1852]. Later, the water wheel was removed, the Dam was filled in, and new Dam was built, and a water-turbine installed. Later, it was converted to a steam-engine.

A continual problem at the mill was that the properties of the water resulted in the boilers having short lives. Chemicals were tried to remedy the problem without success. A new boiler installed in 1935, and new chemicals, appeared to solve the problem.

The Mill was rebuilt and extended in length in 1872. The access road was also re-sited to pass west of the building, instead of passing around 2 sides of the Mill.


Owners and tenants of the mill have included

 

There was a large chimney but this has been demolished.

See Cold Edge Dam Company

Square Mill, WalsdenRef 15-524
Square Road. The Todmorden Commercial Spinning & Manufacturing Company bought the mill in 185?

Square Road Mill, HalifaxRef 15-1302
Recorded in 1863, when the Volunteer balloon became entangled in the lightning conductor on the chimney of the mill.

Owners and tenants have included

Square Works, HalifaxRef 15-482
Square Road.


Owners and tenants of the works have included

 

See Albion Works, Halifax

Stackhills Mill, TodmordenRef 15-1046
Halifax Road / Roomfield Lane.


Owners and tenants of the mill have included

 

Stamps Mill, TodmordenRef 15-95

Standard Works, HalifaxRef 15-578
Gibbet Street / Adelaide Street.


Owners and tenants of the works have included

 

Stanley Iron Works, New Bank, HalifaxRef 15-159
Named after Stanley Mallinson


Owners and tenants of the works have included

 

Stannary Mills, HalifaxRef 15-833


Owners and tenants of the mills have included

 

Stannary Quarry, HalifaxRef 15-843
Recorded in 1905 at Angel Road/Commercial Road, Mount Pleasant

Stannary Works, HalifaxRef 15-629


Owners and tenants of the works have included

 

Stansfeld Mills, HalifaxRef 15-668
See Stansfield Mills, Triangle

Stansfield Corn MillRef 15-C227
Stood on the site of an earlier mediæval corn mill.

Owners and tenants have included William Sutcliffe [1854] and James Thompson & Son [1854]. Rebuilt in 18??.

Demolished 1953

Stansfield Mill, SowerbyRef 15-452
18th/19th century flax-processing mill.

It was later used for cotton manufacture.


Owners and tenants of the mill have included

 

Stansfield Mill, TodmordenRef 15-307


Owners and tenants of the mill have included

 

Stansfield Mills, TriangleRef 15-S726
Aka Stansfeld Mills. Constructed in the early 19th century.


Owners and tenants of the mills have included

 

In the 1970s, the mill buildings became structurally unsafe and the mills closed. Work was moved to Corporation Mill, The mills were demolished in 1985.

Parts of the mills, and the hostel, have been converted into private apartments

Starling Mill, BlackshawheadRef 15-272
Former name of Staups Mill, Blackshawhead

Staups Mill, BlackshawheadRef 15-267
Originally known as Starling Mill. Late 18th century water-powered cotton and weaving mill. Stands on Jumble Hole Clough. There is a datestone JH 1812.


Owners and tenants of the mill have included

 

On 24th September 1896, the embankment at the dam collapsed and released large quantities of water which caused considerable damage.

The remains of derelict building can still be seen.

See James Bent

Stead Street Iron Works, HalifaxRef 15-985


Owners and tenants of the mill have included

 

Steam Cabinet Works, HalifaxRef 15-659
Corporation Street.


Owners and tenants of the works have included

 

Steam Confectionery Works, HalifaxRef 15-S90
Hope Street, Halifax.

John Mackintosh established a factory here in 1895

Steam Gauge Works, HalifaxRef 15-1110
North Parade.

Owners and tenants have included

Steam Mill, TodmordenRef 15-854
Aka Salford Mill

Steanor Bottom Chemical Works, WalsdenRef 15-415
There was a fatal accident here on 16th December 1882

Sterne Mills, CopleyRef 15-S708
Wakefield Road. Originally a corn mill and fulling mill, cotton spinning and wire drawing was carried out here later.


Owners and tenants of the mill have included

 

On 18th September 1936, the mills were badly damaged by fire.

In 2002, Yorkshire Forward agreed to buy the mills, on behalf of Calderdale Council, with a view to converting them into a business centre.

On 28th June 2003, the unoccupied building was gutted by fire.

In 2009, there was a proposal to build houses and offices on the site.

See Sowerby Bridge Methodist Chapel

Stone Chair MillsRef 15-520
Aka Clough Mills

Stone Dam Mill, HalifaxRef 15-S390
Well Lane.

A steam-powered worsted spinning mill. Built about 1836, and extended 1855. It was built for William Huntriss, who purchased the site in November 1836, and was in partnership with Mr Illingworth. This was the first textile mill in the township of Halifax. It had an unusual Venetian window in the gable.


Owners and tenants of the mill have included

 

Stone Mill, EllandRef 15-804

See Strangstry Bridge, Elland

Stone Mill Tannery, Sowerby BridgeRef 15-434
Gratrix Lane.


Owners and tenants of the tannery have included

 

Stone Trough Brewery, HalifaxRef 15-S3
Trinity Road. Brewery at Stone Trough Lane, Ward's End built by William Henry Dodgson Horsfall.

Owners and tenants have included

It subsequently became Ramsden's Stone Trough Brewery. The original brewery was near a group of about 12 springs and wells on the Grove House Estate - one cascading into the next, and finally running down Horton Street.

The Brewery is discussed in the books Halifax Antiquarian Society Transactions and Halifax Pubs.

See Goldsmith's Grave and Holly House

Stones Mill, RippondenRef 15-56
Built in 1855 by John Whiteley on the site of Lambert's Mill which he bought from Thomas Stead.

It was 4-storeys and measured 60 ft by 30 ft.

There was a large warehouse, rooms for bleaching and dyeing, drying houses and a sizing room.

On 3rd April 1882 the Mill burned down. It was quickly rebuilt.

The Mill closed in 1959


Owners and tenants of the mill have included

 

Stoneswood Higher Mill, WalsdenRef 15-108
Bacup Road, Dulesgate.


Owners and tenants of the mill have included

 

Stoneswood Lower Mill, WalsdenRef 15-123
Bacup Road. Aka Inchfield Pasture Cotton Mill, Lower Stoneswood Mill and Stoneswood Mill. A water-powered cotton carding and spinning mill on Dulesgate stream.

In 1796, it was occupied by John Greenwood and Christopher Rawdon.

In 1818, the mill was bought by Joshua Fielden, and converted to steam power.

It was later sold to Smith Starkie,

Stoneswood Mill, WalsdenRef 15-335
Aka Inchfield Pasture Cotton Mill. This is an early cotton carding and spinning mill on Dulesgate stream.

Comprises the older Stoneswood Higher Mill, Walsden and the later Stoneswood Lower Mill, Walsden

Stoney Royd Mills, HalifaxRef 15-43
Caddy Field / Swan Bank Lane.

Built by Thackrah Mills.


Owners and tenants of the mills have included

 

The mills were demolished and buildings were erected which became part of the Mackintosh / Nestlé complex

Stoney Springs Mills, MidgleyRef 15-6
/ Brearley.

Owners and tenants have included

In September 1901, there was a series of fires

Stoodley Bridge Mill, EastwoodRef 15-361
Built in 1808 by Thomas Sutcliffe The family – John, Thomas & James Sutcliffe – remained at the mill into the 1830s. The mill was rebuilt after a fire in 1813. It was burned down by fire in 1829. A new spinning mill was built. An 18 hp steam engine was installed

Stoodley Pike quarryRef 15-468
Tommy Stansfield worked here

Storr Hill BrickworksRef 15-269
Established in 1867 by Henry Birkby. When he retired in 1???, the business was carried on by his sons. The business closed in the 1980s

Storth Colliery, EllandRef 15-801
Recorded in 1850.

It later became Storth Brick Works, Elland

Storth Fire Clay & Brick Works, EllandRef 15-454
Claremont Terrace. Known as Storth Colliery [1850].


Owners and tenants of the works have included

 

Stott's Mill, BrighouseRef 15-S856
Stood on Huddersfield Road, on the south side of the Calder & Hebble Navigation

Stott's Mill, LuddendenfootRef 15-552
Cotton mill on the bank of the Rochdale Canal. Owned by Jabez Stott.

On 18th April 1870 the mill burned down

Stoups Mill, TodmordenRef 15-312

Strangstry Quarry, RastrickRef 15-803

Strines Mill, WalsdenRef 15-297
Aka Ragby Mill, Walsden

Owners and tenants have included

Stubbin Mill, TodmordenRef 15-314

Stubbing Holme Dye Mill, Hebden BridgeRef 15-820
Aka Albion Works, Hebden Bridge

Stubbing Mill, ErringdenRef 15-342
From the early 1830s, the mill was known as Hebble End Mill.


Owners and tenants of the mill have included

 

Stubbing Quarry, HipperholmeRef 15-525


Question: Is this the same place as Stubbins Quarry, Hove Edge?

 


Owners and tenants of the quarry have included

 

Stubbins Quarry, Hove EdgeRef 15-1405


Question: Is this the same place as Stubbing Quarry, Hipperholme?

 

Owners and tenants have included

Stump Cross BreweryRef 15-S1480
Stood behind Stump House, Shibden. Shown as disused in 1907

Stump Cross TanneryRef 15-1112
Godley Road.

Owners and tenants have included William Fleming & Son [1881]

Sugden's Flour MillRef 15-283

Sun Vale Works, WalsdenRef 15-315


Owners and tenants of the works have included

 

Sun Works, HalifaxRef 15-443
Winding Road.


Owners and tenants of the works have included

 

Sunny Bank Mine, SouthowramRef 15-619
Coal mine. Located in the Marsh lane area, between Law Hill and Beacon Hill.

Thin seams of hard and soft coal were mined here.

Several accidents were recorded here in the 19th century

Sunnyside Dye Works, EllandRef 15-S853

Sunway Blinds Mill, WalsdenRef 15-442
At the junction of Rochdale Road and Hollins Lane

Sutcliffe's Mill, CornholmeRef 15-357

Sutcliffe's Mill, Shay LaneRef 15-550
Cotton mill owned by William Sutcliffe.

The mill was occupied by Morley, Uttley & Barstow when it was destroyed by fire on 15th February 1867

Swales Moor Pit, NorthowramRef 15-1340
The will of Richard Halliday [1778] mentions coal mines here

Swamp Mills, SowerbyRef 15-263
Aka Boulderclough Mills. There were 2 mills: Lower Swamp Mill and Upper Swamp Mill.

One was built around 1790 by John Ramsden and John Ashford.

In 1793, a new steam engine – designed and installed by Robert Fourness [1757-1806] – was installed to supplement the water-wheel at a mill in Boulderclough.

The mills have been used for cotton spinning, wool carding and spinning, wire drawing and worsted spinning.


Owners and tenants of the mills have included

 

Swan Bank Brick WorksRef 15-1164
Caddy Field.

Owners and tenants have included

Their bricks were stamped with the marks SB and/or SBH.

An advertisement for the works on 13th January 1865 announced


SWAN BANK BRICKWORKS, HALIFAX.
Messrs. Watkinson & Crabtree beg to inform the public that they have
PURCHASED the above EXTENSIVE WORKS
and are now prepared to supply, upon liberal terms,
COMMON & FIRE BRICKS, CRUCIBLES, TILES, POTTERY, CLAY, etc.,
Orders addressed to Joseph Crabtree at the works

Swan Bank CollieryRef 15-S241
Stoney Royd, Halifax. A part of the coal mine owned by the Swan Bank Brick & Coal Company. Entrances can still be seen in the retaining wall in Swan Bank.

George Greenwood & Sons had business here.

In the 19th century, there were many deaths at the colliery, mainly due to fire damp explosions

  • June 1840: William Sheard was burned to death

See Mr Barker

Swan Bank Dye WorksRef 15-190
Recorded on maps produced in 1854

Swan Foundry, TodmordenRef 15-1318
The Barker family – Robert Barker - had ironworks for over 50 years at Swan and then at Phoenix Ironworks, Millwood

Swift's Brewery, HalifaxRef 15-1005
Spice Cake Lane. Established by Henry Swift. It was behind the family's pub, the Cross Keys

Swift Place Mills, SoylandRef 15-885
There were 2 fulling mills here. From 1803, they were known as Lower Swift Place Mill and Upper Swift Place Mill.

See Soyland Paper Mill

Swineshead Mill, LangfieldRef 15-856
Joshua Fielden had a carding business here [1803]

Syke House Mill, GreetlandRef 15-721


Owners and tenants of the mill have included

 

Synchro Works, LuddendenfootRef 15-996


Owners and tenants of the works have included

 


A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z


© Malcolm Bull 2019
Revised 18:36 /10th July 2019 / m408_s / 139504

search tips advanced search
site search by freefind

web counter