Mills & Mines

W



A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z


Wadsworth Mill, TodmordenRef 15-124


Owners and tenants of the mill have included

 

Wainhouse Mill, Sowerby BridgeRef 15-883
A popular name for Wharf Mill, Sowerby Bridge [around 1806] when it was occupied by R. & W. Wainhouse

Wainstalls MillRef 15-W298
The new mill which Calvert's built just north of their Old Mill, Wainstalls. This was built some time after 1821. 3-storey building.

Originally known as Upper Mill.

Calvert's used the Mill for woolsorting, drawing, winding, and warping.

Later, the mill was used for winding, warping, coning, and pirning.

On May 1942, fire broke out at the mill

Walker pitRef 15-W350
A coal mine was dug about 1835 for Anne Lister and Ann Walker by John Mann and his brother, Joseph.

Aka Miss Lister's Mine.

It was quite near the workings of her business rival Christopher Rawson and his family.

In 1836, Christopher Rawson had his men burn dung to smoke Joseph Mann out of the pit.

The ornate ventilation shaft is still standing alongside the path from Shibden Hall to the top of Beacon Hill

Wall Nook Quarry, GreetlandRef 15-773

Walshaw & Drake's Mill, RastrickRef 15-383

Walterclough Mill, SouthowramRef 15-704


Owners and tenants of the mill have included

 

Walterclough Mine, SouthowramRef 15-1286

Walterclough Pit, HipperholmeRef 15-W68
Aka Walterclough Colliery. Opened in 1888. It was one of the largest coal mines in the area. It was 100 yards deep.

As a clay and coal quarry, it was bought in 1906 to supply coal and fireclay for a brickworks near the Nonslip Stone Company works. Overhead cables carried tubs from the pit, up the Walterclough Valley, and across Halifax Road to the Hipperholme works.

It produced coal until 1930.

It closed on 18th February 1969, when Brooke's Limited closed. The Pit was filled in and capped.

See Pier Head, Hipperholme

Wapping Spring Brewery, OutlaneRef 15-957
Founded in 1862.

Owned by Hirst Ainley [18??]

First shown on the 6" OS map of 1888-92, the brewery was tucked into the upper part of the little valley of Wapping Nick just where Wapping Nick Lane rose to meet Old Lindley Road, a site probably chosen for its abundant supply of soft water.

In 1957, Webster's bought the business and 19 of their pubs, including

Brewing ceased, following takeover by Webster's. The buildings remained until around 1970 when it was unused, but still with the large louvred windows of the cool ship where the newly boiled beer would have cooled in a shallow tray before going to the fermentation vessels. All paintwork was cream.

Demolition seems to have coincided with the construction of the M62 and the realignment of Old Lindley Road into the underpass, and, although these were not built over the site of the brewery, nothing now appears to remain, and the site has returned to nature.

Ainley's were locally renowned for their Wappy stout which was brewed with the soft spring water. Wappy was the company brand for its ales and stouts which could be enjoyed in the nearby Wapping (now Wappy) Spring Inn, the brewery tap, initially a beer house, on Lindley Moor Road

Ward's Dye Works, HalifaxRef 15-165
Pellon Lane

On 7th June 1890, a worker died after falling into a vat of boiling water at the works


Question: Does anyone know any other name for this mill?

 

Ward's Dye Works, SalterhebbleRef 15-1398
Recorded in 1915


Question: Does anyone know anything about the Works or the business?

 

Warland Mill, WalsdenRef 15-320
Spinning mill built by John Fielden

Warland Quarry, WalsdenRef 15-1322
Opened by Robert Stevenson in 1823.

See Quarry Cottages, Walsden

Warley Corn MillRef 15-953
See Luddenden Mills

Warley MillRef 15-400

Warley Springs BreweryRef 15-1010

See Old Warley Springs Brewery

Warley Springs Dye Works, HalifaxRef 15-151

See Warley Springs

Washer Lane Dye WorksRef 15-W56
Robert Wainhouse established the Washer Lane Dyeing & Finishing Company Limited.

On his death in 1856, the business passed to his nephew John Edward Wainhouse.

In 1870, Wainhouse leased the premises to Henry Mossman.

Wainhouse sold the business to Mossman in 1873.

In November 1896, when Mossman was Chairman, the Washer Lane Dyeing & Finishing Company Limited was wound up.

See Arthur Graham & Company Limited, Ingham Brothers and Wainhouse Tower

Water Lane Dye Works, HalifaxRef 15-98
Recorded around 1915, when Armitage's were here

Waterhouse's Mill, Dean CloughRef 15-402
A small 3-storeyed mill erected and worked by Messrs Waterhouse. They left in 1824 and John Crossley set up production here. It was demolished in 1857 and Crossley's E Mill built on the site

Waterside Chemical Works, HalifaxRef 15-160

Waterside Dye Works, HalifaxRef 15-113
Aka Taylor's Buildings, Bath Parade.


Owners and tenants of the works have included

 

In 1867, there was a law suit between John Crossley & Sons Limited and Lightowler over water pollution. This is still used as a test case

Waterside Mill, HalifaxRef 15-39
John Holdsworth & Company Limited established a factory here in 1822

Waterside Mill, Hebden BridgeRef 15-498
Market Street.


Owners and tenants of the mill have included

 

Waterside Mill, TodmordenRef 15-W200
Aka Laneside Mill. This was the major mill of the Fielden family business built around 1786 by Joshua Fielden. The mill was involved in silk spinning, and cotton spinning and weaving. Around 300 handloom weavers worked at the mill, and, in 1829, the Old Shed was expanded to house 800 steam-powered looms.

In 1830, the Fieldens installed gas lighting at the mill.

In 1840, a further New Shed was added to house 1000 looms. Spoon Dam fed the mills.

On 15th March 1898, the premises were sold for use as a fire station and a technical school.

Some of the buildings were demolished in 198?.

A Safeway supermarket now stands on the site.

See John Nowell

Waterside Saw Mills, HalifaxRef 15-646


Owners and tenants of the mills have included

 

Waterside Works, HalifaxRef 15-1165
Owners and tenants have included

Waterstalls Mill, WalsdenRef 15-125
A mill is recorded here in 1805. In 1817, the mill was used by John Marland & Sons.

About 1820, the mill was bought by the Fielden family. Around 1832, the mill had become uneconomic and was closed down for a time, reopening in 1836.

On Monday, 30th September 1839, Samuel, son of the manager Edmund Wrigley drowned in the mill dam.

In 1864, the Fielden family sold the mill.

It is now derelict.

Waterstalls Farm, Walsden is nearby.

David Nortcliffe tells me that ...

Waterstalls Mill, had been a water-powered bloomery which utilised a stream coming down from Blackstone Edge and had its own dam. There are firm indications that the iron-smelting operation there could well have started by 1330s with its raw material coming from mines in Cliviger. It continued in that role until the early 1700s when major developments in smelting technology meant that iron production moved to new, larger mills located at sites such as Low Moor and Sheffield. Waterstalls later converted to textiles, remaining water-powered until 1834 when a steam engine was installed

See Miss Nowell and Thomas Wrigley

Watson Mill, Sowerby BridgeRef 15-W230
At various times, this was a corn mill, then a cotton mill, then a corn mill again.

The mill covered almost 5 acres.


Owners and tenants of the mill have included

 

The mill closed in the 1960s/70s.

It was demolished after a fire in 1978.

See Watson Mill Bridge, Sowerby Bridge

Watson Quarries, SouthowramRef 15-743
Church Lane / Brookfoot.

Opposite Marshall's.


Owners and tenants of the quarry have included

 

In 1969, Goodall retired and sold the quarries to Marshall's.

The quarry was filled in [1990s].

See Watson House, Southowram

Watty Corn Mill, TodmordenRef 15-323
Bacup Road, Dulesgate.


Owners and tenants of the mill have included

 

Webster's Fountain Head BreweryRef 15-W52
Samuel Webster & Sons Limited, Fountain Head, Ovenden Wood, with an office in Union Cross Yard, Halifax.

The business was started by Samuel Webster in 1838.

Their first public house was the Lane Ends, Wheatley. By 1880, they had 100 tied houses.

The brewery was developed and extended in 1873.

In 1895, Webster's had 74 in the district, second were Stocks with 56 pubs.

In 1898, they built their own malt kilns.

They acquired several local breweries, including Albert Springs Brewery, Halifax [1877], Red Cross Brewery [1900?], Shibden Head Brewery [30th December 1932], Wapping Spring Brewery [1957], White Castle Brewery [1961], and Joseph Stocks & Company Limited [1933].

They had slogans such as

Drives out the Northern thirst

and

The beer that cheers

Their brands – Green Label and Pennine Bitter – were famous all over the country.

In 1966, they merged with Bradford brewers J. Hey & Company Limited. They then produced Yorkshire Bitter.

In 1971, they joined the Watney Mann group.

In 1985, they joined the Wilson Brewery of Manchester to become Samuel Webster & Wilsons Limited.

In 1990, they became a part of Scottish & Newcastle / Courage group.

Two of the company's dray horses were used for publicity and charitable purposes well into the 1990s, and two talking Webster's dray horses – Uncle and Nephew – appeared in a series of TV adverts for the brewery.

The Fountain Head Brewery closed in 1996 with the loss of hundreds of jobs.

In 2004, there was a proposal to build flats and houses in a village on the site. The listed buildings – the Maltings and Long Can – are not proposed for development.

They had a distribution warehouse in Elland. This closed some time after the Brewery.

The Brewery is discussed in the book Halifax Pubs.

See Buckley Gate Hall, Ovenden, Fountain Head Village, The Maltings College, Halifax, The Maltings Independent School, Ovenden and Maltings Road, Ovenden

Wellington Mills, EllandRef 15-W202
Quebec Street. Steam-powered cotton-spinning mill built in 1860-1868. The mills burned down in 1875, and again on 26th July 1912 when the Number 2 mill and adjacent cottages were badly damaged by fire.


Owners and tenants of the mills have included

 

Wellington Mills, HalifaxRef 15-W198
Wade Street / Mulcture Hall Road.

6-storey mill.

Built for Samuel Cunliffe-Lister of Manningham [1852].

Originally used for wool combing. From the mid-1860s, use changed to silk waste spinning.

The mill was completely destroyed by a gas explosion and fire on 4th December 1873, killing 5 girls. This is described in the Foldout entitled The Fire at Wellington Mills 1873.

The mill was sold to Marsden Brothers, Holden & Company who rebuilt it.


Owners and tenants of the mills have included

 

West Croft Joinery Works, HalifaxRef 15-1067
29 Bedford Street North.


Owners and tenants of the works have included

 

West Croft Mills, HalifaxRef 15-423
King Cross.

Owners and tenants have included

West Croft Works, HalifaxRef 15-918
61 Lister Lane.


Owners and tenants of the works have included

 

On 9th October 1879, John Pritchard and 5 workers were killed in an explosion at the works

West End Cabinet Works, HalifaxRef 15-1407

Owners and tenants have included

See West Parade Cabinet Works, Halifax

West End Dye Works, HalifaxRef 15-W525
Walnut Street.


Owners and tenants of the works have included

 

West End Iron Works, Sowerby BridgeRef 15-837
Walker Lane.


Owners and tenants of the works have included

 

West End Mills, Sowerby BridgeRef 15-W509
West Street.


Owners and tenants of the mills have included

 

It was occupied by John Radcliffe & Sons when it was destroyed by fire on 5th August 1863.

In 1933, John Atkinson & Sons Limited moved their weaving department here from Willow Hall Mills

West End Works, HalifaxRef 15-1065
Warley Road. Earlier known as Pioneer Works

West Grove Boiler Works, West ValeRef 15-606
Aka Greetland Boiler Works.

Calder Street.

Built on the Black Brook and the Calder.

In April 1898, Lumby's Limited wanted to expand, and they issued instructions to

get the land at once

Richard Edgar Horsfall was appointed as architect. The land – formerly the grounds for Greetland Cricket Club – was part of the Wheelwright charity and not for sale, it was acquired at an annual rent of £127 12/6d. The building was complete by 1900/1 when Lumby's went into full production there.


Owners and tenants of the works have included

 

The mill has been demolished. Only the former office building remains

West Grove Mill, HalifaxRef 15-W526
New Bond Street / Hopwood Lane. 7-storey building. Built in 1867.

In 1912, the mill was owned by Mrs Jane Fleming of Eccles, Lancashire, when it was served with an order to provide suitable means of escape in the event of fire.


Owners and tenants of the mill have included

 

It closed in 1994. It became the Elsie Whiteley Innovation Centre

West Lane Quarries, SouthowramRef 15-745
In old directories, several quarry owners and stone merchants are listed as working at unspecified quarries in West Lane, Southowram.

West Lane Quarry was on the left, at the brow of the hill, as West Lane starts the descent to Exley.

They were worked out by the end of the 1930s, and were filled in after World War II.


Owners and tenants of the quarries have included

 

West Mills, Sowerby BridgeRef 15-48
West Street.


Owners and tenants of the mills have included

 

West Mount Brass Works, HalifaxRef 15-1388

Owners and tenants have included

West Mount Mills, HalifaxRef 15-951
Pellon Lane.


Owners and tenants of the mills have included

 

West Mount Works, HalifaxRef 15-1237
Johnson Street.


Owners and tenants of the mills have included

 

West Parade Brass Works, HalifaxRef 15-910
Hill Street / West Parade.


Owners and tenants of the works have included

 

West Parade Brush Works, HalifaxRef 15-943
38 West Parade.


Owners and tenants of the works have included

 

West Parade Cabinet Works, HalifaxRef 15-432
Recorded in 1921

See West End Cabinet Works, Halifax

West Parade Carriage Works, HalifaxRef 15-663
34 West Parade.


Owners and tenants of the works have included

 

West Parade Iron Works, HalifaxRef 15-1114


Owners and tenants of the works have included

 

West Riding Flour Mills, Cooper BridgeRef 15-1154
The mills were destroyed by fire on 15th April 1909

West Street BreweryRef 15-1257
Next to the Duke of York, Stone Chair.

Recorded in 1902, when he married when

a building formerly used as a brewery adjoining the Duke of York Inn at Stone Chair was rented for 7 years

The Brewery is discussed in the book Halifax Pubs Volume Two

West Vale Brass WorksRef 15-1094
Maude Street.

Established by the West Vale Brass Company.

In 2013, there was a proposal to convert the derelict mill into a hostel for homeless people. The proposal was later withdrawn

West Vale Corn Mills, GreetlandRef 15-720


Owners and tenants of the mills have included

 

West Vale MillsRef 15-1061
Stainland Road.

Built on the Black Brook.

Steam-powered worsted-spinning mill built around 1850.


Owners and tenants of the mills have included

 

The Mills are still standing [2011] though not fully used.

The mill had a 170 ft tall chimney which was struck by lightning in 1967. The chimney was reduced in height – to avoid further strikes – and was finally demolished in March/April 1992

The Mills were demolished in 2017.

West Vale WarehouseRef 15-1243
Saddleworth Road. Aka West Vale Works. 3-storey, 5-bay building which was used as a cloth warehouse. The datestone is inscribed 1836.

The ground floor was substantially altered before the building was listed

West Vale WorksRef 15-W199

West Ward Iron Works, HalifaxRef 15-234
Hanson Lane.

The company produced all kinds of machinery, plant, safes, woodworking machinery, laundry machinery, boilers, tanks and weighing machines. Carefully-made crucible cast and malleable castings were a speciality. They undertook valuations for all purposes, The company was owned by Lewis John Akroyd

Other


owners and tenants of the works have included

 

Westbury Mills, EllandRef 15-W522


Owners and tenants of the mills have included

 

Westercroft Quarry, NorthowramRef 15-679

On 22nd January 1853 John Jagger was killed whilst undermining at the quarry

Westfield Mill, WadsworthRef 15-133


Owners and tenants of the mill have included

 

Westfield Mills, MytholmroydRef 15-602
Westfield.

Originally called Four Day Work Mill. It was built for cotton spinning in 1836 by John Edmundson.

It was renamed Westfield Mill and used for worsted spinning.

Around 1885, it was again used for cotton production.


Owners and tenants of the mills have included

 

Westgate Shoeing Forge, HalifaxRef 15-892
Berry Lane.


Owners and tenants of the forge have included

 

Wharf Cotton Mills, WalsdenRef 15-977
Green Vale.


Owners and tenants of the mills have included

 

Wharf Mill, Sowerby BridgeRef 15-144
Originally a corn mill. 3-storey building. It became a cotton mill, then a steam-powered worsted spinning mill.


Owners and tenants of the mill have included

 

When it was occupied by R. & W. Wainhouse, the mill was known as Wainhouse Mill.

The mill was badly damaged by fire in 1806 and by floods following a storm in June 1928.

The mill was demolished in 19??.

See Regulator Mill, Sowerby Bridge

Wheatley Corn MillRef 15-583
Hebble Lane, Wheatley. This was the manorial corn mill. Like the Mixenden Corn Mill, it belonged to the Savile family.


Owners and tenants of the mill have included

 

Wheatley Dye WorksRef 15-27
See Dapper Mill, Ovenden

Whitaker Pit, CliftonRef 15-476
Coal mine. Recorded in 1851. By 1907 [?], the pit was disused. Only the spoil heap remains.

The pit was just north-west of Whitaker Pits Farm, and north of Whitaker Pit Woods

White Castle Brewery, BradshawRef 15-W278
Owned by Daniel Fielding & Sons.

The brewery was bought by Webster's in 1961.

It is now private accommodation

White Gate Brickworks, SiddalRef 15-1146
Siddal Top Lane. Joseph Morton was here in 1855

White Lee Mill, MytholmroydRef 15-1122
At White Lee, Mytholmroyd.

Disused [1907].

In 1950, Calder High School was built on the site

White Lee Tannery, MytholmroydRef 15-1168
From the 17th century to the 19th century, there were tanneries at White Lee, Mytholmroyd.

Owners and tenants have included

  • The Thomas family [17th century]
  • William Howarth [1791]

White Rock Quarry, SowoodRef 15-1107


Owners and tenants of the quarry have included

 

The Quarry closed.

An application to landscape the site was submitted in 2008

White Rose Mills, HolmfieldRef 15-166
A part of Holmfield Mills

Whitegate Brick Works, SouthowramRef 15-1244
Owners and tenants have included

Whiteley's Mill, Hebden BridgeRef 15-399
The body of Rev Sutcliffe Sowden was found near here

Whiteplatts Mill, TodmordenRef 15-762


Owners and tenants of the mill have included

 

Whitley's Soap WorksRef 15-634
Iona Street, Halifax. Thomas Whitley had business here [1883]

Whitwell Mill, EllandRef 15-W523
Wistons Lane. Woollen mill built around 1863.


Owners and tenants of the mill have included

 

The mill burned down in 1877 and was rebuilt by Wadsworth & Fairbank

Whitwood Colliery, Bailiffe BridgeRef 15-1060
On 3rd February 1857 4 men were killed in an explosion at the pit: Samuel Robertshaw [who was one of the owners of the pit], Ezra Kellett, John Tordoff, and Henry Woodhead. 3 of the men were decapitated by the blast, and Samuel Robertshaw lived for a few hours

Whitworth's Mill, LuddendenfootRef 15-1102
See Longbottom Fulling Mills, Luddendenfoot

Wicken Hill Quarry, Cragg ValeRef 15-1021
Blackstone Edge Road

Widdop's Mill, BrighouseRef 15-1262
Owners and tenants have included

Wilkin Royd Mill, BrighouseRef 15-W472
Stood at the corner of Wood Street and Mill Lane.


Owners and tenants of the mill have included

 

On 12th September 1897, fire caused £3,000 damage

Wilkinson's Clay Works, EllandRef 15-W205
Aka Blackley Fire Clay Works, Wilkinson's Brickworks, Blackley.

The chimney at the works was built in 1894 and was a local landmark.

Cables, supported by pylons, carried buckets around the site at Ainley Top.


Owners and tenants of the works have included

 

In 19??, they were taken over by G. R. Stein.

The works are now derelict.

The buildings were demolished. In July 2013, the site was cleared and there were proposals for building 120 homes on the site

Willey Hill Pit, SouthowramRef 15-426
Recorded in 1817

Willow Hall Mills, Sowerby BridgeRef 15-W473


Owners and tenants of the mill have included

 

The Manchester-born civil engineer, Samuel Clegg [1786-1861], who trained with Boulton & Watt, installed gas lighting in Henry Lodge's home, and the Willow Hall Mills were the first mills in Britain to be lit by gas [1805].

However, the supply was such that when the mill lights were turned on, the lights in Wharf Street went out.

See Sowerby Bridge Gas Works and Willow Hall Dam, Sowerby Bridge

Wilson's Bobbin Mill, CornholmeRef 15-C393
Bobbin and shuttle manufacturing business founded by Lawrence Wilson in 18??. Wilson Brothers Bobbin Company Limited used the mill.

The mill was destroyed by fire on 21st August 1851.

A new mill was built in 1880.

The mill was again destroyed by fire in 27th March 1888. The firm was in the process of extending the mill at the time.

The mill was rebuilt. The company then established their own fire brigade.

On 4th June 1891, one man was killed and others injured in an explosion at the works.

On 22nd February 1900, a man was suffocated by fumes at the works.

The firm was once the largest bobbin manufacturer in the world. The company exported bobbins, charcoal and firelighters to all parts of the world.

There was a chapel and school for the workers. There used to be a clock bridge across Burnley Road connecting the bobbin mill and the joinery works.

The mill closed around 1930 when all business moved to new premises which had been built at Garston, Liverpool in the 1890s.

The buildings were re-used and finally demolished. A housing estate now stands on the site

See Wilson Brothers Bobbin Company Limited and Lawrence Wilson & Sons

Windmill Hill Brewery, NorthowramRef 15-W398
Park Square. The brewery and stables were built by J. F. Walsh for James Alderson [1897]. Established behind the Windmill Tavern, Northowram when James Alderson moved from Lower Brear [1905]. Originally called the Park Brewery.

Water was pumped from a 90 ft bore hole for the brewery.


Owners and tenants of the brewery have included

 

Windmill Mill, ShelfRef 15-W358
Burned Road. A corn mill built by John Sugden on his land near Upper Witchfield, Shelf in 1789 for the local farmers to process their produce. Sugden borrowed money from Robert Parker and got into debt with the venture.

There was an underground passage between the mill and the adjacent Windmill cottage.

The mill was taken over by

During Queen Victoria's jubilee celebrations, a flag tied to one of the sails was one of the highest flags in England.

In 1904, the sails were removed [?] and steam power was introduced.

In 1914, Francis Barraclough closed the business.

The mill fell into disrepair and was demolished in 1964.

The name survives in the Windmill Inn and Windmill Hill.

This is discussed in the book Our Home & Country

Windy Bank Mine, QueensburyRef 15-1269

Windy Wall Nook Mine, SouthowramRef 15-1287

Winterbutlee Mill, WalsdenRef 15-324
Occupied by William Dugdale.

A fire on 23rd June 1912 caused £120 damage.

Since 1962, it has been Gordon Riggs Garden Centre, Walsden

Winters Mill, StansfieldRef 15-327
Winters.

Aka Lower Winters Mill, Marsh Factory.

Built in 1805 by John Sutcliffe.

In 1819, he sold the mill to Rawdon Briggs.

Around 1827, William Horsfall bought the mill.

The 4-storey mill was extended to 5-storeys in the 1830s.


Owners and tenants of the mill have included

 

On 25th February 1868 the mill was struck by lightning

Wood Bottom Dye Works, LuddendenfootRef 15-1024
Duke Street, Ellen Holme.

Built by the Whitworths in 1862.

In 1865, the Whitworths built Swamp Dam to supply water to the works.


Subsequent owners and tenants of the works have included

 

On 11th March 1896, a part of the works was destroyed by fire.

See Luddendenfoot Gas Supplies and Wood Top Dye Works, Luddendenfoot

Wood Bottom Mill, WalsdenRef 15-126
Hollins Road.


Owners and tenants of the mill have included

 

Wood Colliery, Judy WoodsRef 15-1191
One of the many coal mines which were located in Judy Woods. This was part of the estate owned by Edward Rookes.

The photograph shows a feature in Judy Woods which may be a bell pit or it may be a circular horse gin of Wood Colliery,where the horse walked around the outside of the raised rim, or inside the rim

Wood's Mill, HipperholmeRef 15-278
Worsted spinning mill.

Owners and tenants have included

The mill closed in 19?? and became a turkey breeding farm

Wood Mill, TodmordenRef 15-548
Flour mill. 40 yards in length and 4 storeys high.

It was destroyed by fire on 18th November 1862.


Owners and tenants of the mill have included

 

Wood Top Dye Works, Hebden BridgeRef 15-675


Owners and tenants of the mill have included

 

The works have been demolished

Wood Top Dye Works, LuddendenfootRef 15-1368

See Wood Bottom Dye Works, Luddendenfoot

Wood Top Quarry, NorthowramRef 15-938


Owners and tenants of the quarry have included

 

Woodfield Mill, GreetlandRef 15-W524
Saddleworth Road. Woollen and silk mill. Built in 1870 by Benjamin Fielding. In 1951, it was bought by J. E. Bentley & Company.

Closed in 1979 and was demolished shortly afterwards.

Woodfield Grange Nursing Home and Woodfield Drive were built on the site

Woodhead Quarry, NorthowramRef 15-755


Owners and tenants of the quarry have included

 

Woodhouse Mill: ChimneyRef 15-1255
The engine house and the detached chimney at Woodhouse Mill, Langfield are listed

Woodhouse Mill, LangfieldRef 15-W203
Castle Street. Five storey steam-powered cotton-spinning mill built on the side of the Rochdale Canal in 1832, by brothers Richard, John Arthur and William Ingham of Richard Ingham & Sons. The family also owned Cinderhill Mill and Millsteads Mill.


Owners and tenants of the mill have included

 

On 3rd November 1863, a boiler exploded killing a woman, injuring several others, and badly damaging the mill.

Some of the buildings were demolished in 198?.

In 1994, fire gutted the interior and destroyed the roof and the end wall.

There were plans to establish a textile or industrial museum here.

In 2004, the mill was converted into 20 apartments.

The engine house and the detached mill chimney are listed.

See Woodhouse Mill Bridge

Woodhouse Works, BrighouseRef 15-134
Brass and iron works occupied by Joseph Blakeborough & Sons Limited from 1875.

On 29th August 1896, there was a disastrous fire.

In 18??, the company established its own fire brigade at the works

Woodland Mills, BrighouseRef 15-1000


Owners and tenants have included

 

Woodman House PotteryRef 15-W463
Elland. This was the earliest local pottery. Founded around 1720 by the Cartledge family. They produced fine-ware pottery. Samuel Malkin worked here. The business was carried on by members of the family until 1822.

It was a copperas mine until 1845.

The buildings were converted into a school. It was used as a farm.

In 1866, the property was leased to Titus Kitson. In 1868, he bought it and started making black-ware pottery. Titus Kitson Junior and Oliver and H. K. Whitworth carried on the business until 1920. The pottery and Woodman House were demolished in the 1920s

See Samuel Malkin

Woodman Works, EllandRef 15-782
Richmond Terrace.


Question: Could this be the same premises as Kitson's Fire Clay Works?

 


Owners and tenants of the works have included

 

Woodside Flour Mill, EllandRef 15-W456
The 5-storey mill stood alongside the Calder & Hebble Navigation.

Canal Kilns, Elland were next door [1905].

In 1890, it was said to be the largest flour mills in Yorkshire.


Owners and tenants of the mill have included

 

On 4th March 1892, there was a dispute in the corn-milling trade between the management and workers of J. F. Milner.

There was a fire here on 22nd April 1907.

See Woodside Mills Lock, Elland

Woodside Iron Works, HalifaxRef 15-905
Haley Mill.


Owners and tenants of the works have included

 

Woodside Mills, HalifaxRef 15-906
Haley Hill.


Owners and tenants of the mills have included

 

Woodside Stone Sawing Works, HalifaxRef 15-893
Chester Road / Boothtown Road.


Owners and tenants of the works have included

 

Woodside Works, HalifaxRef 15-904
Haley Mill.


Owners and tenants of the works have included

 

Woodvale Brassworks, BrighouseRef 15-1236
Thornhill Briggs.

Owners and tenants have included

Woodvale Cotton Mills, BrighouseRef 15-204
Thornhill Briggs, Bradford Road.

5 storeys high [1900].

The Mill was owned by the Camm family in the 19th century.


Subsequent owners and tenants have included

 

In 1862, Lola Irvine was crushed to death at the mills.

In 1899, John Harrison narrowly escaped being crushed by a cotton hoist, when 2 men managed to stop it, only inches from his head.

In 1900, the property was owned by Richard Kershaw.

The mill was damaged by fire on 21st February 1900, and again on 27th July 1921.

See Woodvale Silk Mills, Brighouse

Woodvale Mills, BrighouseRef 15-1303

See Woodvale Cotton Mills, Brighouse and Woodvale Silk Mills, Brighouse

Woodvale Silk Mills, BrighouseRef 15-W161
Thornhill Briggs. Richard Kershaw bought the land in the Wellholme Estate in 1876. Despite what the blue plaque says, the architect was George Hepworth and the site occupied 5 acres. The mills opened on 29th April 1882 for the production of silk and silk fabrics by Richard Kershaw & Sons.

Kershaw employed about 700 workers here [1895].

Around 1903, the mills were bought by Ormerod Brothers Limited.

The mills closed in 1984.

In December 1985, the mill was damaged by fire and it was demolished in 1986. Two small buildings remain and are now Woodvale Business Park

Worrall's Dye Works, MidgeholeRef 15-551
Established by James Worrall.

On 9th July 1868, a boiler exploded, causing much damage and injuries.

See Midgehole Dye Works, Hebden Bridge


A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z


© Malcolm Bull 2019
Revised 15:34 /5th May 2019 / m408_w / 91056

search tips advanced search
site search by freefind

web counter