In 1187, the Priestley family of Priestley Green granted land to the Knights of St John of Jerusalem who had a Hospital on what is now Coley Hall.
Property at Coley was mentioned in 1277, and a John de Coldeley is mentioned in 1286. The Rishworth family were related to the de Coldeleys and lived here from about 1330.
The site was a Priory in mediæval times, and part of the present building was erected in 1572. A stone in the gateway indicates that the hall paid a rent to the Knights of St John of Jerusalem.
Ryshworth's Chapel, Hipperholme – possibly a private chapel at the hall – appears on a list of
Decayed Chapels for want of maintenance in the reign of Queen Elizabeth [the First]
In 1572, Richard Sunderland of High Sunderland bought the estate from Alexander Rishworth, who had inherited it from his father, John Rishworth.
In 1654, it was sold for about £2,000 to William Horton to pay decimation fines imposed by Parliament on Captain Langdale Sunderland for taking the Royalist side in the Civil War. Captain Hodgson lived at the Hall for 16 years. Michael Bolton was a tenant.
The original front of the hall was destroyed in bombardment by the Commonwealth troops.
In 1662, Oliver Heywood and his family lived at the Hall, sharing the property with Captain Hodgson.
Extensive alterations were made in 1681.
Around 1700, Joseph Eccles lived here.
In 1775, the hall returned to the Sunderland family when it was bought by Joseph Sunderland.
This is discussed in the books Ancient Halls in & about Halifax, Buildings in the Town & Parish of Halifax and The Old Halls & Manor Houses of Yorkshire.
Subsequent owners and tenants have included
A doorway dated 1692 from the demolished Langley House, Hipperholme was re-used at the Hall by J. H. Fletcher.
On 19th July 1950, the contents of Coley Hall were sold by auction by the maid to whom Mrs Fletcher left the furniture and other items.
On 26th October 1961, J. L. M. Sunderland, sold the Hall to architect Richard H. Pickles. Pickles made a thorough restoration and removed the 17th century gable which was not worth restoring
See Coley House, Coley, Coley Walks Farm and St John's Well, Coley
Revised 16:05 /16th February 2020 / mmc151 / 6702
|site search by freefind|