Calderdale ...



Entries beginning Calderdale ... and The Calderdale ... are gathered together in this Sidetrack.


CalderdaleRef 428-10
The Metropolitan Borough of Calderdale is an administrative body formed on 1st April 1974 by the amalgamation of the County Borough of Halifax, the Borough of Brighouse, the Borough of Todmorden, the Elland Urban District, the Hebden Royd Urban District, the Ripponden Urban District, the Sowerby Bridge Urban District and part of the Queensbury and Shelf Urban District.

The name Calderdale had been used to denote the Calder Valley earlier, and was formally adopted in 1973. The boundaries of the Metropolitan Borough of Calderdale coincide almost exactly with those of the original parish of Halifax.

See Population, What's in Calderdale, Calder Registration District, Calderdale Council and Electoral wards

Calderdale Art CollectionRef 428-2593
Halifax Corporation and Calderdale Council own a large collection of works of art. These were originally owned by Todmorden, Brighouse, Elland and other parts of the district. Some of the works are listed in the Foldout

Calderdale, Bard ofRef 428-46
Synonym of William Dearden

Calderdale CallRef 428-347
A free newspaper published 3 times a year by Calderdale Council

Calderdale Christian Web SiteRef 428-262
A collection of pages with events, churches, news, Christian organisations, chat room, guestbook, and much more about Christianity in Calderdale.

Calderdale Clog Sundries Manufacturing SocietyRef 428-2178
Recorded at Todmorden on 21st June 1913 when a coming-of-age celebration was reported in connection with the Society

Calderdale Clog Sundries, WalsdenRef 428-1452
Aka Calderdale Co-operative Clog Sundries Manufacturing Company Limited. A manufacturing co-operative recorded in 1905 at Alma Street, Todmorden

Calderdale College, Francis StreetRef 428-628

Calderdale College, RippondenRef 428-191
19th century college

Calderdale Colleges CorporationRef 428-155
Comprises Calderdale College, Halifax New College, and Halifax School of Integrated Arts

Calderdale Community ChurchRef 428-157

Calderdale Companion: CitationsRef 428-169
If you ever need to publish the URL for entries on the Calderdale Companion, you will find it easier to use


calderdalecompanion.co.uk
 

or


www.calderdalecompanion.co.uk
 

than the URL which is displayed as the online address


http://freepages.history.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~calderdalecompanion
 

Calderdale CompanyRef 428-2015
Cotton spinners and fustian dyers at Hebden Bridge [1874]

Calderdale CouncilRef 428-620
Since the formation of the Metropolitan Borough of Calderdale in 1974, the political nature of the council has been as shown in the Foldout.

See the Foldout showing the Mayors of Calderdale.

See Northgate House, Halifax

Calderdale Family History ResearchRef 428-2562
Family History Research facility established by Roger Beasley

Calderdale Family History SocietyRef 428-1549
The CFHS Research Room at Brighouse Library is open for a few hours each week – currently Tuesday afternoons and Thursday mornings. The research facilities include:

  • Computer and Internet
  • Microfiche
  • Literature, including books, Parish Registers, census returns, and monumental inscriptions

The Society produces many publications for the genealogist & researcher:

Calderdale German CircleRef 428-407

Calderdale Heritage WalksRef 428-271
An organisation established when Calderdale Tourist Guides Association ended in 2003.

The organisation offers a programme of around 60 guided walks around various parts of Calderdale

These are normally about 2 hours in duration and aim to tell the story of particular parts of the District as they've evolved down the centuries

The Group's aim is to generate and foster a higher level of interest in the fascinating story and history of this area over many centuries past

Calderdale Industrial MuseumRef 428-614
Square Road, Halifax.

The red brick building was formerly the Square Works of the Stirk Machine Tools engineering company.

The building houses a permanent exhibition of Calderdale's industrial heritage – and the blade from the Gibbet.

It closed in 2000 on account of rising costs and falling numbers of visitors.

The exhibits seem to be still in situ.

After the efforts of the Calderdale Industrial Museum Association the Museum opened for organised visits on 9th June 2012.

As part of the redeveloped complex comprising the refurbished Piece Hall, the Square Chapel, the new Central Library & Archives, and the Orangebox. The Museum is set to re-open in 2017.

See Calderdale Industrial Museum CD

Calderdale Industrial Museum AssociationRef 428-2495
Established in 2011 to revive the Calderdale Industrial Museum.

On 9th June 2012, the Museum reopened to the public for organised visits

Calderdale Inheritance ProjectRef 428-405
Recorded in 1882

Calderdale Joint Omnibus CommitteeRef 428-174

Calderdale Lapidary SocietyRef 428-1548

Calderdale Local Orchard GroupRef 428-2240
A Hebden Bridge initiative to grow and promote apples

Calderdale Magistrates' CourtRef 428-632
The Magistrates' Court is situated in what was the old Police Station on Harrison Road.

See Magistrates

Calderdale MapRef 428-605

Calderdale MayorsRef 428-1

Calderdale MuseumsRef 428-2468
The department of Calderdale Council which is responsible for museums and art galleries, including

Calderdale NewsRef 428-335
A free weekly newspaper published by Halifax Courier.

See Gordon Sampson

Calderdale Nicaraguan Link GroupRef 428-196

Calderdale NightingaleRef 428-11
Popular name for Mrs Susan Sunderland

Calderdale PartnershipRef 428-159

Calderdale Police StationRef 428-1536
See Police Station and Halifax Police Station

Calderdale Royal HospitalRef 428-283
Opened in April 2001 next to the old Halifax General Hospital. It was formerly opened by Princess Anne, the Princess Royal on 15th March 2004.

The hospital is owned by Catalyst Healthcare and leased to the NHS.

For a new building, it is remarkably badly-designed. There's no air-conditioning in the wards. The ward-numbering [those that are still open] and the general layout are not obvious and the signage leaves lots to be desired. The car-parking is laughable.

See Roger Burnett

Calderdale Rubber CompanyRef 428-1522
Established in 1948 at Glen Works, Todmorden. The business closed in 2000

Calderdale School of Physical EducationRef 428-195

Calderdale Talking Newspaper AssociationRef 428-1551
Produce audio cassettes for elderly and disabled

Calderdale Tourist Guides AssociationRef 428-1550
A group known as the Calderdale Tourist Guides was established in the 1980s. Later, some of their members led a Town Walks programme organised and funded by the Calderdale Tourism Unit which closed in 2003.

It was succeeded by Calderdale Heritage Walks.

See Tourist Information

Calderdale TVRef 428-611
A video production company established in 1996 to produces films, videos and TV programmes

Calderdale Walking FestivalRef 428-613
A programme of around 70 guided walks in and around the district which are organised during September. The festival was established in 1997 and is supported by courses, lectures and exhibitions. Details from the Tourist Information Offices

Calderdale WayRef 428-275
A 50-mile long circular walking route around the district.

The route was started in 1973, published in 1977 and inaugurated on 21st October 1978 by Lord Winstanley, chairman of the Countryside Commission.

It was Britain's first recreation footpath.

The idea was developed by local civic trusts. A group of enthusiasts – who formed the Calderdale Way Association – devised the route and produced the Calderdale Way Guide.

Starting at Clay House, Greetland, it passes through Halifax, Southowram, Brighouse, Norwood Green, Shibden, Holdsworth, Bradshaw, Saltonstall, Luddenden, Midgley, Wadsworth, Hebden Bridge, Todmorden, Langfield Common, Cragg Vale, Mill Bank, Ripponden, Norland, and back to North Dean.

It links with the Pennine Way, and the Todmorden Centenary Way, and there are many points at which the walker can change to public transport.

Walker and countryside campaigner, Miss Margaret Rooker of Greetland, was the first to walk the whole 50 miles. She set out on 27th December 1976, and completed the trek in a week, walking through ice and snow.

See Around Calderdale

Calderdale WayRef 428-443
Aka Elland bypass.

This is part of the main road from Halifax to Huddersfield, which comprises Ward's End, Commercial Street, Portland Place, Prescott Street, Skircoat Road, Spring Hall,, Huddersfield Road, Salterhebble Hill, Huddersfield Road, Elland Wood Bottom, Halifax Road and Calderdale Way.

The stretch of road – a part of the A629 – between the M62 at Ainley Top and Salterhebble, bypassing Elland. It was one of the most expensive roads in the country, and cost around £4 million per mile. 6 new bridges had to be constructed over roads, railway, canal and the Calder. 700,000 tons of rock had to be removed at Elland Wood Bottom to widen the existing Halifax to Huddersfield road to a four-lane dual carriageway.

Several buildings had to be demolished, including 90 homes, Riverside Mills, and Old Elland Hall.

Suggestions for a name for the new road included Calder Cross, Calder Way, Elafield Road, Eland's Way, Elland Link, Gateway, Longfield Lane, Progress Way, and Woodrow Highway.

The name Calderdale Way was suggested by councillors David Shutt and David Fox.

It opened on 13th December 1978

Calderdale Wesley Band of HopeRef 428-36
Recorded in 1878.

See Band of Hope

Calderdale Wesley Band of HopeRef 428-436
Recorded in 1878.

See Band of Hope




© Malcolm Bull 2020
Revised 20:23 /13th August 2020 / 24743

Page Ref: MMC300

search tips advanced search
site search by freefind