Dean Clough was originally a narrow valley running down from Stannary with the river Hebble Brook flowing through.
In 1802, John Crossley went into partnership with his brother Thomas Crossley and James Travis, and they leased the mill.
The Crossley family lived in a house here.
It eventually became a large complex of 11 mills covering around 40 acres and occupying 1¼ million square feet of factory space. Many of the buildings were designed around 1854-1858 by Roger Ives with later additional work by F. W. Petty.
The mills were identified by letters, A to H.
There were also 3 sheds
The octagonal Corona Chimney is a local landmark.
The site had its own fire station.
Dean Clough was occupied by John Crossley & Sons until the factory closed in 1982.
After the closure of the carpet-manufacturing business, the site was purchased by Sir Ernest Hall and his son Jeremy, and Jonathan Silver, and opened as Dean Clough Industrial Park and Dean Clough Galleries in 1983.
The area was affected by flooding on 20th May 1989
See Bowling Dyke Mills, Halifax and Old Lane Mill, Halifax
Revised 11:55 /28th February 2021 / 4763
Page Ref: MMD12
|site search by freefind|