Elphabrough Hall stands on Cragg Road, Mytholmroyd.
The present building is a mid 17th century house.
The name has various spellings - Elfabright, Elfabrook, Elfabrough, Elffaburghall, Ellfleteburghall, Elphaborough, & Elphenbrough.
It is variously shown as being in Cragg Vale, Erringden, Mytholmroyd, & Sowerby.
The name may mean mound of eels or mound of the elves and is related to that of nearby Elphin Brook.
Hugh de Toothill is mentioned as clearing land here in 1316.
It was the property / home of members of the Pilkington family:
The coiner Isaac Hartley lived in a house on the site.
There are taking-in doors on the 1st and 2nd floors.
Owners and tenants have included
The Todmorden Advertiser & Hebden Bridge Newsletter [12th September 1930] published an article
On 26th October 1593, John Farrar and his wife Isabel, appeared at the Manor Court and surrendered Elphaborough Hall and its lands to the use of Paul Greenwood of Old Town, a clothier, and it remained in the Greenwood family for many generations.
In the 18th century, here resided Isaac Hartley, one of the Turvin coiners, and a man of callous character. He acted very prominently in the providing of guns and pistols for the murder of William Deighton and also helped to subscribe the 100 guineas to be paid to the culprits. He, however, left this place some time before his death, for he died at Whitelee and was buried at Heptonstall next to his brother David
Page Ref: MME62
|site search by freefind|