The community of Exley is a district of Calderdale to the south of Siddal and north of Elland.
The element ex often means water, so the name may mean pasture by the water.
However, the name Ecclesley is mentioned in the 13th century, and may be derived from the Celtic word for a church, egles, and the Old English leah, meaning church field, thus suggesting a connection with a pre-Conquest church – see also kirk.
It was the site of the Halifax Zoo & Amusement Park from 1909 to 1917
|Some sites, sights and other entries for Exley|
|Beerhouses & Pubs in Exley|
Several beerhouses and public houses have been recorded in and around Exley, including
See Ashley and Pubs in Siddal
Page Ref: MME77
|site search by freefind|