Field House, Sowerby



Field House, Sowerby stands on Dean Lane.

Roger Del Feld was born here in 1240.

Subsequent owners and tenants have included

The Stansfeld family rebuilt the hall in 1630.

George Stansfeld and his brother James were the first two of the Stansfelds to live in the hall at Field House. A Palladian style house was built alongside for George Stansfeld in 1749. The Stansfeld coat of arms and the motto

Know thyself

can be seen on the pediment.

There is a bell-cote supported by 2 columns which came from Sowerby Chapel when it was rebuilt in 1762.

This is discussed in the book Our Home & Country.

The bells are dated 1770 and 1796.

There are warehouses, dye-houses and cropping-sheds behind the house.

Arthur Comfort drew the Crane, a device for loading and unloading the pieces of finished cloth on the horse-drawn waggons.

The Porter Lodge marks the entrance to the house from Rochdale Road.

Subsequent owners and tenants have included

A statue of Archbishop Tillotson stands in the hall.

The 2 buildings which were the Porter's Lodge are familiar sights on the main Rochdale Road.

Part of the original Sowerby Church stands behind the house, having been rebuilt there when the church was demolished. Windows and other features from the old chapel were moved to Field House.

Other listed property nearby includes

This is discussed in the books Ancient Halls in & about Halifax and In & About Our Old Homes


See Field House, Surrey, Nether Field House, Sowerby, Sowerby Chapel, Timothy Stansfeld and The Breck, Triangle



© Malcolm Bull 2018
Revised 16:43 /16th April 2018 / mmf31 / 7522

search tips advanced search
site search by freefind

web counter