There was considerable coal mining in the Norwood Green and Judy Woods are in the 19th century.
In 1876, there were 2000 coal pits in the area.
The coal was used as domestic fuel. Much of the coal was moved around the Judy Wood are, and taken to the Low Moor Iron Company by the local mineral lines.
Norwood Green Pit was the last to close 
See Bell pits, John Colen, Norwood Green Colliery, Royds Hall Great Wood and Wood Colliery, Judy Woods
Page Ref: MMJ326
|site search by freefind|