Mytholmroyd ...



Entries beginning Mytholmroyd ... and The Mytholmroyd ... are gathered together in this Sidetrack.


MytholmroydRef 399-1
Town lying east of Hebden Bridge

Mytholmroyd & Cragg Vale BandRef 399-2

Mytholmroyd & Hawksclough Working Men's ClubRef 399-3
Recorded in 1917, when John William Greenwood was secretary.

See Mytholmroyd Working Men's Club

Mytholmroyd & Hebden Bridge Gas CompanyRef 399-4

Mytholmroyd Benevolent Union SocietyRef 399-5
In 1817, Isaac Ogden had a Benevolent Union Society at his house in Mytholmroyd

Mytholmroyd British RestaurantRef 399-6
British restaurant opened in 1941/2

Mytholmroyd Building SocietyRef 399-7
Recorded in 1825

Mytholmroyd Business ParkRef 399-8
Built on the site of the former premises of Thornber Brothers Limited

Mytholmroyd Charity DemonstrationRef 399-9
The annual event began in 1903. The aim was to raise money for local good causes. It took place over a weekend in Summer, and were held at White House Holme, Mytholmroyd.

With only a break during World War I, it ended in 1939.

It began again as the Mytholmroyd Gala in 1960.

See Demonstration Parade and Sunday Sing

Mytholmroyd Church Lads' BrigadeRef 399-10
Associated with St Michael's Church, Mytholmroyd.

In October 1914, a number of the older members volunteered for active service.

The list included

  • J. Brown
  • Arthur Carter, and (possibly) his brother Walter Carter
  • Harold Clegg
  • W. Farrar
  • B. Fletcher
  • (possibly) Edwin Fletcher
  • H. Greaves
  • J. E. Greenwood
  • George Hey
  • Albert Jackson
  • J. Jackson
  • C. Longbottom
  • W. Taylor
  • H. Thomas
  • L. Waterhouse
  • J. E. Wilkinson

Many of them joined the King's Own Yorkshire Light Infantry / the King's Royal Rifle Corps, and are mentioned on the Mytholmroyd Church Lads' Memorial

Mytholmroyd Community CentreRef 399-11
Opened by the Duke of Gloucester in April 1977. It was built on a part of the site of Thornber Brothers' factory. The World Dock pudding Championship is held here

Mytholmroyd Cow ClubRef 399-12
A co-operative established in 1802 to support farmers who suffered hardship when their milch cow died

Mytholmroyd Cricket ClubRef 399-13

Mytholmroyd drinking fountainRef 399-14
Cragg Road.

The drinking fountain is inscribed


Presented to the / Mytholmroyd Urban District Council / by / Charles Robertshaw Esq JP / 1921
 

It originally stood at the end of the County Bridge.

It was later moved to its present position on Cragg Road

Mytholmroyd Economic StoresRef 399-15
Burnley Road. A branch of Economic Stores (Halifax) Limited. Stood next to the Dusty Miller and Mytholmroyd Post Office.

Closed in 19??

Mytholmroyd Farm, MytholmroydRef 399-16
Originally known as Mytholmroyd, the house is said to have given its name to the district.

It is a late medieval timber-framed T-plan house and was cased in stone in the 17th century. There is a large bressumer beam with board and muntin panelled fire-screen

Richard Draper and Henry Draper are recorded here.

The house has also been known as St George's Chapel of Rest and Fold.

This is discussed in the book Ancient Halls in & about Halifax

Mytholmroyd Female SocietyRef 399-17
A female friendly society met at the Dusty Miller, Mytholmroyd in the 1810s

Mytholmroyd Fire StationRef 399-18
The old fire station was built in 18??.

In 1924, their new motor fire engine made its first excursion to a fire at Swat Farm, Cragg Vale, Superintendent R. Dugdale in charge.

When Hebden Bridge Fire Station closed in 2006, that area of the district was covered by Mytholmroyd fire station.

The old fire station was the pottery of Ted Underhill [2010]

Mytholmroyd Floral & Horticultural SocietyRef 399-19
Established around 1873. Recorded on 1st September 1888, when their 15th Annual Show was held in a field near the railway station

Mytholmroyd GalaRef 399-20
After a break of some 20 years, Mytholmroyd Demonstration recommenced as the Mytholmroyd Gala in 1960. The Gala is still in existence, and takes place in September as a one-day event

Mytholmroyd goose fairRef 399-21
An annual fair held in November at the County Bridge, Mytholmroyd. Began in 1??? Ended in 1???

Mytholmroyd Historical SocietyRef 399-22
Established by Jack Uttley in 1991.

The Society meets in Mytholmroyd Methodist Church at 7:30 pm on the Second 2nd Friday of the month from September to April

More information: Contact: Mrs Molly Sunderland / Telephone: 01422-884980

Mytholmroyd Industrial Co-operative SocietyRef 399-23
Established in 1861. In 1864, the Society opened premises on New Road.

In 1934, they absorbed the Cragg Vale Co-operative & Industrial Society

Mytholmroyd Industrial SocietyRef 399-24
Opened in 18?? at a cottage at Square, Scout Road.

In 1861, the society moved to larger premises next to the White Lion, Burnley Road.

The head office and store were in New Road. The store in New Road is now private dwellings.

In 1869, the society built 8 houses at Grove Terrace and a further 12 houses in 1874

Mytholmroyd LibraryRef 399-25
Cragg Road, Mytholmroyd

Mytholmroyd Local BoardRef 399-26
In 1892, the administrative district was formed out of parts of Midgley, Erringden, Sowerby, and Wadsworth.

See Local Board and Luddendenfoot Local Board

Mytholmroyd Methodist Cricket ClubRef 399-27
Mytholmroyd Wesleyan Sunday School had a Cricket Club.

Recorded in the 1930s, when Ronald Beaumont was a member

See Mytholmroyd Wesleyan Sunday School Cricket Club Memorial

Mytholmroyd Musical FestivalRef 399-28

Mytholmroyd Musical SocietyRef 399-29
Recorded in 1927

Mytholmroyd Nurses' HomeRef 399-30

Mytholmroyd Parish ChurchRef 399-31

Mytholmroyd Police StationRef 399-32
Contributor David Cant writes
A large scale map of Mytholmroyd in the 1950s marks a police station between Mytholmroyd Farm and where the Good Shepherd Church is today. The houses on the site look as if they might have been police houses from that period

Mytholmroyd Post OfficeRef 399-33
Recorded in 1845 at the Dusty Miller when Charles Crowther was postmaster.

Recorded in 1861 at Cragg Bottom when Ratcliffe Rushworth was postmaster.

Recorded in 1874. It was then at the same address as the business run by Jno Smith, bootmaker

Miss Ada Ann Porter, was a postal telegraph clerk [1901] and (possibly) Post Mistress here when her parents died [1919, 1933]

See Mytholmroyd branch of the Economic Stores

Mytholmroyd Railway StationRef 399-34
The Manchester & Leeds Railway came to Mytholmroyd in 1841. The first temporary station opened here in May 1847

A new station opened in December 1871. The platforms overhung the Mytholmroyd Viaduct and were reached by the distinctive stair-tower.

The booking hall and stair tower are Grade II listed.

In March 1934, a parcel was thrown from the Manchester to Leeds train as it passed through the station and fell at the feet of a clergyman. It was found to contain £100 worth of watches and jewellery which had been stolen from a shop in Manchester on 21st March 1934.

On 3rd September 1947, the goods yard inspector at the station, was killed in a shunting accident.

The platform and some of the buildings which overhung the viaduct, were removed in the 1980s. Staff were withdrawn in 1985. The old station was boarded up in 1991.

In September 2018, it was announced that Network Rail and Historic England were to restore the derelict building.

There are plans to established the Ted Hughes Poetry Centre in the building, and it is also hoped to house the Alice Longstaff Gallery Collection here

Station Masters at the Station have included

See Todmorden Station Partnership

Mytholmroyd Recreation GroundRef 399-35
Dale View, Mytholmroyd

Mytholmroyd Rugby ClubRef 399-36

See Edward Whiteley Collinson and George Albert Titterington

Mytholmroyd StationRef 399-37

Mytholmroyd UDC OfficesRef 399-38
The offices for Mytholmroyd Urban District Council were in Cragg Road.

Built in 1???.

Discontinued (possibly) in 1937, when the UDC amalgamated with Hebden Bridge Urban District Council to become Hebden Royd Urban District Council.

The building is now private houses

Mytholmroyd Urban District CouncilRef 399-39
Began in 1891. The offices were in Cragg Road.

In 1937, it amalgamated with Hebden Bridge Urban District Council to become Hebden Royd Urban District Council.

The inaugural – and the final closing – meetings were held at the Dusty Miller.

See Sir Charles Robertshaw and Urban District Council

Mytholmroyd ViaductRef 399-40
Built about 1840 by George Stephenson for the Manchester & Leeds Railway. There are 3 arches.

The platforms of Mytholmroyd Station overhung the viaduct

Mytholmroyd Working Men's ClubRef 399-41
See Mytholmroyd & Hawksclough Working Men's Club



© Malcolm Bull 2019
Revised 18:06 /23rd April 2019 / mmm404 / 24366

search tips advanced search
site search by freefind

web counter