Northowram Hall bath house



The underground bath house was built around 1750 for Northowram Hall - probably for John Edwards, owner of the hall, by Bernard Hartley [c1745-1834].

It is described as

  • Being fed by water from local springs
  • Stone with some brick, approached down a straight flight of stone steps with roll-moulded edges, leading to the main room to the right
  • Built of coursed stone with a barrel-vaulted roof
  • Band course of comb-dressed stone defining spring of the roof
  • Large plunge pool in centre with roll-moulded edges over large smooth ashlar sides
  • Pointed arched openings central to north and south walls
  • To north this leads to a smaller chamber with smaller pointed arch in the rear wall with a stone slab behind and hand-made brick side walls, partially removed
  • To south, central opening leads to another chamber and is flanked by two pointed arched windows with stone slab cills
  • South chamber is rectangular with curved wall at south-east corner and small footbath beyond
  • Two pointed arched niches on west and south walls, and remains of a fireplace on east wall
  • Flue in north-east corner in a small recess
  • Having 2 circular skylights in a concrete surround above ground




© Malcolm Bull 2018
Revised 16:43 /16th April 2018 / mmn458 / 4447

search tips advanced search
site search by freefind

web counter