A reservoir was proposed in 1826 when mills on the Hebble Brook had to be closed because the water supply had dried up. However, local mill owners could not afford the estimated cost of £3,550.
This was the first reservoir for Halifax, built at a cost of £94,000 between 1854 and 1858, when Halifax Corporation became responsible for supplying the town with water – a consequence of William Ranger's report and the Halifax Act of 1853. The stone-laying ceremony took place on 11th August 1854. It was designed by J. F. Bateman. It covers 35 acres and has a capacity of 222 million gallons 500 men worked on the construction.
Local mills received about 1 million gallons from the reservoir during the working day. During dry spells, when the reservoir failed to supply this quantity, mill-owners demanded compensation of around £5,500.
The dam is 72 ft high.
Now that the town had a supply of clean water, the idea of providing public baths was realised – see Park Road Baths.
The area became a popular local beauty spot and has been called Little Switzerland.
Ogden Primitive Methodist chapel stood near what is now Rock Hollow Park. This was later converted to tea rooms and subsequently demolished.
A decade later, it was extended by the construction of Mixenden reservoir.
In 1974, Yorkshire Water took over the reservoir. They were required to put the land around the reservoir to the best recreational use.
In 1988, the reservoir was renamed Ogden Water.
There was an ancient ford across the Hebble Brook here
See Friends of Ogden Water, Green Holme Farm, Ogden, Halifax Golf Club, Ogden Clough, Ogden Water Visitor & Interpretation Centre and Skirden Clough
Revised 08:33 /5th March 2018 / mmo287 / 5283
|site search by freefind|