Park Road public baths stood at the south-east corner of People's Park.
The baths were (possibly) designed on classical and Italianate lines by Sir Joseph Paxton and/or George Henry Stokes, and were built by the Borough Engineer George Wilson Stevenson for the Crossley family.
They were opened by Mayor Thomas Selby Walsh on 20th July 1859, following William Ranger's report on the sanitary conditions in Halifax.
The land was given by Sir Francis Crossley. The building was given to the people of Halifax by the Crossley family.
The gentlemen's baths were to the rear of the building
In 1893, as more women wanted to go swimming, the ladies' pool was closed and women used the men's second class pool
There was originally no chemical or mechanical means of cleaning the water, and this was emptied and refilled – every other day – by the bath-keeper who lived in rooms on the first floor of the building. The steam plant and laundry and boiler room were in the basement.
Mixed bathing began in 19??
There was reconstruction work in 1921 – when
Managers at the baths have included
In 1881, it was described as
East of St Marys, Park Road, Halifax
On 9th April 1924, the baths re-opened after reconstruction.
The baths closed for a time in 1944 when the boilers became unsafe.
In 1949, the Education Department took control of the baths, and removed the slipper baths and reconfigured the pools.
In 1974, there were plans to demolish a part of the building to make way for the link road to Burdock Way, but this was stopped following a petition.
The baths closed in July 1990 and were converted in offices.
The building was vandalised. The building was put up for sale in 1995.
In 1997, the building was bought by the Calderdale Community Church for £61,101.
In 2001, the baths were refurbished and converted into the King's Centre
See Halifax Swimming Club and Ogden Reservoir
Revised 10:39 /2nd September 2018 / mmp465 / 7329
|site search by freefind|