District of Bradford, to the north of Halifax, above Boothtown.
It lies at a height of 1100 ft above sea-level.
In the 19th century, it developed around John Foster's Black Dike Mills.
The town was originally known as Causeway End.
After the construction of the Leeds and Halifax Turnpike in 1740, it was renamed Queenshead after the coaching inn of the same name which stood in the village. There was a suggestion that the village be called Albert Town or Fosterville, but this did not come to be.
Part of the village lay within the Halifax township of Northowram, and part within the Bradford township of Clayton, and a stone inscribed CN set into the wall of the Black Dyke Mills on High Street, commemorates this.
The fountain by the mill was erected by Foster and unveiled on 26th May 1863, the day that the town changed its name to Queensbury.
On 18th July 1962, a Local Government Commission proposed that Queensbury and Shelf should merge with Bradford.
In 1974, Queensbury was incorporated into the Bradford Metropolitan District Council
|Beerhouses & Pubs in Queensbury|
Several beerhouses and public houses have been recorded in and around Queensbury, including
Revised 08:34 /5th March 2018 / mmq6 / 7417
|site search by freefind|