Robinson Brothers Cork Growers Limited was established by brothers George, John and William Robinson.
They were cork cutters, processors and growers at Manchester, Halifax, and Portalegre in Portugal.
The business is recorded in 1841 when they were processing cork in Halifax.
They were at Gibbet Lane, Halifax and Bowling Dyke, Halifax. They also had a factory at Doncaster.
In 1847, George Robinson bought a small cork factory in Portalegre, Portugal which an Englishman, Thomas Reynolds, had established around 1835. The factory was in the ruined Convent of São Francisco in Portalegre, which was then the centre of cork oak production.
In 1887, they had newly-built premises at 6-10 Broad Street, Halifax.
The Directors were George Robinson, John Robinson, John Edward Robinson, and George Wheelhouse Robinson. Other members of the family were involved with the company, including Frederick Robinson and Herbert Robinson.
In 1891, they acquired facilities in Estremadura, Spain with processing at San Vicente de Alcantara.
By 1900, they were the largest cork producers in Portugal and employed 2000 workers.
In 1902 and 1905, they were at 21 Horton Street, Halifax.
Between 1910 and 1915, they developed the concept of cork tiles.
In 1916, they moved into premises at The Square, Halifax.
After the death of George Wheelhouse Robinson, the business was sold but retained the Robinson name.
They are represented by Robinson Sociedade Corticeira in Portugal .
It is to be converted into a museum telling the story and history of cork and cork production
See Huldine V. Beamish, W. Newton Dawson and Halifax & District Mineral Water Manufacturers Association Limited
Revised 10:39 /2nd September 2018 / mmr1069 / 6141
|site search by freefind|