Tram Route Numbers
Halifax



Contents:


Route Number 1Ref 21-R1
Ran from Halifax Station to Stainland and West Vale.

  • The section between Dudwell Lane, Salterhebble and West Vale opened on 2nd August 1905

  • The section between West Vale and Holywell Green opened on 24th March 1921

  • The section between Holywell Green and Stainland opened on 14th May 1921

The service was withdrawn in 1936

Huddersfield also ran trams to West Vale. Halifax trams had a gauge of 3 ft 6 inches. Huddersfield trams had a gauge of 4 ft 7¾ inches. Bradford trams had a gauge of 4 ft 0 inches. The different track widths prevented the Halifax services linking with those of Huddersfield.

Extensions were proposed, but not completed, for

  • A route from Salterhebble via Elland Wood Bottom to Elland Bridge and thence to Elland and Huddersfield
  • A route from West Vale via Long Wall to Elland

See Tram Number 122

Route Number 2Ref 21-R2
Trams ran from Halifax to Highroad Well on 29th June 1898.

On 5th August 1899, the route was extended to Pellon via Pellon Lane.

The service eventually ran from Highroad Well to West Vale.

Huddersfield also ran trams to West Vale. Halifax trams had a gauge of 3 ft 6 inches. Huddersfield trams had a gauge of 4 ft 7¾ inches. Bradford trams had a gauge of 4 ft 0 inches. The different track widths prevented the Halifax services linking with those of Huddersfield

Route Number 3Ref 21-R3
Ran to Hipperholme, Hove Edge and Brighouse.

  • The section between Hipperholme and Hove Edge opened on 29th June 1903

Trams came down Bonegate into Brighouse, turning right at St James's Church then on to the Brighouse Terminus, just short of the George corner. Trams to Bailiff Bridge, went back to St James's Church where the points at the junction were changed, and the vehicle proceeded to Thornhill Briggs and Bailiff Bridge.

Several extensions were proposed, but not completed

  • From Brighouse via Rastrick Common and on to Huddersfield
  • From Brighouse via Park Road to Elland Bridge, and thence to Elland and Huddersfield

Route Number 4Ref 21-R4
Ran Savile Park to Pellon and Wellesley Barracks [1920s]

Route Number 5Ref 21-R5
Ran from Halifax to People's Park, King Cross, Sowerby Bridge and Triangle.

  • The section between Wharf Street, Sowerby Bridge and Jerry Lane, Sowerby Bridge opened on 21st May 1903

  • The section between Jerry Lane, Sowerby Bridge and Triangle opened on 10th February 1905

The tram service to Sowerby Bridge was withdrawn in 1934

Route Number 6Ref 21-R6
The service from Halifax to Savile Park, King Cross and Sowerby Bridge, began on 6th June 1899

The tram service to Sowerby Bridge was withdrawn in 1934

Route Number 7Ref 21-R7
Ran between Hebden Bridge and Southowram via King Cross and Halifax.

  • The section between Causeway Head and Luddendenfoot opened on 25th April 1901

  • The section between Luddendenfoot and Brearley opened on 2nd July 1901

  • The section between Fallingroyd Bridge and Hebden Bridge opened on 21st March 1902

Route Number 8Ref 21-R8
Ran from Halifax to Boothtown, Catherine Slack and Queensbury.

  • The section between Boothtown, Claremount Road and Stocks Gate opened on 22nd December 1900

  • The section between Cavendish Inn and Queensbury opened on 25th April 1901

Route Number 9Ref 21-R9
Ran from Halifax to Boothtown

Route Number 10Ref 21-R10
Ran from Skircoat Green to Mason Green, Illingworth, Bradshaw and Causeway Foot.

  • The section between Halifax and Illingworth Post Office opened on 5th August 1899

  • The section between Illingworth Post Office and Ratten Clough opened on 30th August 1900

  • The section between Skircoat Green, Godfrey Road and Skircoat Green, Dudwell Lane opened on 12th June 1925

An extension was proposed, but not completed, for a route from Dudwell Lane, along the Calder valley, to Pye Nest

The route was closed on 18th January 1938

See 14th February 1939

Route Number 11Ref 21-R11
Ran between Skircoat Green and Ovenden.

See Route Number 10

Route Number 12Ref 21-R12
Ran to Northowram and Shelf.

  • The section between Staups Lane, Stump Cross and Stump Cross Inn opened on 28th January 1901

  • The section between Stump Cross Inn and Stocks Arms, Northowram opened on 25th April 1901

  • The section between Stocks Arms, Northowram and Shelf opened on 1st July 1901



© Malcolm Bull 2019
Revised 20:23 /19th June 2019 / mmr1400 / 15233

search tips advanced search
site search by freefind

web counter