Smith House, Lightcliffe – originally called Royd House – is a timber-framed house which stands on the site of an earlier 15th century aisled house occupied – and renamed – by the Smyth family.
Henry Waddington is mentioned here in 1634.
The house was cased in stone by John Brooke . He is mentioned here in 1689. William Brook and Richard Brook are also mentioned.
In 1699, the house was bought by the nonconformist Joseph Holmes and his family.
On his death in 1728, the property passed to Joseph's son, John.
In 1741, the family built the adjacent German House for the Moravian Brethren whom John had met in London, and invited to Yorkshire.
A school was opened here in 1748, and moved to Fulneck in 1753.
Mrs John Holmes welcomed John Wesley when he came to the district. Wesley visited Smith House on 2nd June 1742 during his first visit to Yorkshire, 19th April 1774, and 19th April 1776.
There were differences between the Methodists and the Moravians, and the latter fell out of favour with Mrs Holmes after her husband's death.
Mrs Holmes bequeathed the house to her cousin, Charles Radcliffe.
The Radcliffe family sold the house to Ann Walker. Her nephew, E. C. Sutherland, sold the house after 1885.
Subsequent owners and tenants have included
See Lightcliffe House, Little Smith House, Lower Crow Nest, Brighouse and E. L. Schlicht
Revised 11:11 /14th March 2020 / mms251 / 5763
|site search by freefind|