Shelf Hall



Contents:

Shelf Old Hall

Shelf Hall – aka Shelf Old Hall or The Old Hall – stood on the site of an aisled timbered-house which was built in the 15th century.

It was cased in stone in 1629.

This was the manor house of the Manor of Shelf Hall.

There was a well in the garden, the waters of which were popular. It is said that people travelled far to sample the waters.

Owners and tenants have included

In 1627, John Cowper divided the Hall into the lower end and the upper end and these became separate dwellings. He sold the Lower End to John Phillip – a doorway has a datestone IP 1629 when the hall was rebuilt in stone. Cowper sold the Upper End and property in Cockhill to Michael Whitley.

In 1639, John Phillip sold the Upper End to Richard Best.

Subsequent owners and tenants have included

This is discussed in the book Ancient Halls in & about Halifax.

The Hall was converted into 3 cottages by the mid-20th century. It became run-down.

The Lane family – Mr & Mrs C. F. Lane – sold the Hall to Shelf UDC for a pittance.

Despite popular opposition, the Hall was demolished in 1958. Only the gate-posts and some outbuildings remain of the Old Hall.

Shelf Village Hall was built on the site

Shelf New Hall

Shelf New Hall was an Italianate house with large columned portico standing in 27 acres of parkland. The hall was designed by J. T. Fairbank and built in 1860/1861 by worsted manufacturer Samuel Bottomley for his eldest son, Moses Nathaniel, at a cost of £40,000. Samuel's wife, Caroline had helped him plan the Hall, but she died before it was completed.

For about a decade either side of the end of the 19th century it functioned as Shelf Hall Pleasure Grounds. The grounds were open to the public with swings, donkey rides, refreshments, and boating on the lake. There were also furnished and unfurnished rooms

to let to summer visitors

The owners saw this as an appropriate rôle for the property. Admission was 3 d per person.

Owners and tenants have included

In June 1893, a group occupied the Hall for a few days, claiming to have certain land rights – see Priestley Litigation and The Priestley Claim to Shelf Hall.

During World War II, the Hall was used by the Army. From 1944 to 1948, it was used as a prisoner-of-war camp for, mainly, Italian soldiers.

The Hall was bought by Queensbury & Shelf Urban District Council. It was demolished in the 1951. The grounds are known as Shelf Hall Park. The project cost £100,000 of which Shelf Civic Trust raised £13,000


See The Priestley Claim to Shelf Hall



© Malcolm Bull 2018
Revised 08:54 /5th March 2018 / html / 10337

search tips advanced search
site search by freefind

web counter