Aka Upper Wat Ings.
London Road, Norland.
It was originally a timber-framed house.
In the 16th century, it was owned by the Waterhouse family.
In 1532, Richard Waterhouse of Wat Ing granted certain land in Norland to Edmund Waterhouse.
In 1625, Anthony Waterhouse sold the property to George Towne.
Around 1638, it was cased in stone.
A fireplace is inscribed 16 LAUS DEO 38, and an upstairs window has the date 1638.
Laus Deo ==> Praise God
In 1668, a west wing was added.
A lintel over a doorway is dated 1668 GT for George Towne.
Subsequent owners and tenants have included
This is discussed in the book Our Home & Country.
See Wat Ing
Page Ref: MMU36
|site search by freefind|