Rev Canon John Henry Warneford MA was the first Vicar of All Saints' Church, Salterhebble [1846-1899].
Son of Charlotte Ann (née Sweeting) & Rev John Warneford of Mickleham, near Dorking.
Whilst second master at Lucton Grammar School, near Leominster, he felt called to a vocation following in the steps of his great-grandfather, grandfather and father. He was ordained deacon in 1843 by the Bishop of Hereford, and was made priest in 1844.
In 1845, he was appointed curate at Waddington in Craven, then offered the Peel living of Salterhebble which he came to in 1846.
He was persistent in tackling mill-owners about some of the appalling conditions in which his parishioners lived.
He was instrumental in building All Saints' School.
In 1858, he objected to a new church at Copley being built so close to his own parish, so St Stephen's was built on the other side of the Calder from Copley rather than the intended site on Wakefield Road.
In 1851, he married Mary Ann Susan Wawn [1828-1???] at Sculcoates.
Mary Ann Susan was the daughter of Rev Wawn of Stanton-by-Dale, Derbyshire
The family lived at
In 1889, he was appointed an Honorary Canon in Wakefield Cathedral.
He published several religious tracts and sermons, including
An obituary in the Halifax Guardian in March 1899 described Warneford as
an exceptional man who has left a spiritual legacy to the people of Halifax
In redevelopment which took place in 1997, the Warneford Room in the new building at All Saint's was named in his honour
See All Saints' Sunday School, Salterhebble, John Lister and Reginald Alexander John Warneford
Revised 20:39 /5th November 2020 / 5380
Page Ref: MMW241
|site search by freefind|