Pubs & inns

C



A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z


Caddyshack, EllandRef 17-529
Northgate.

When the former Elland branch of the Halifax & Huddersfield Union Banking Company moved to Britannia House in 1895, the building became successively Lloyds Bank, the Caddyshack bar and restaurant and the Gatsby Wine Bar [2013]

Calder & Hebble, SalterhebbleRef 17-39
The inn stood on an island of land – surrounded by 3 roads – near the Salterhebble Branch of the Calder & Hebble Navigation.

The building was demolished in 1997 when the road junction was reconstructed


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Calder Bank, Sowerby BridgeRef 17-1292
Occupies the former Yorkshire Penny Bank Building.

In 2008, it was known as The Vine

Calder, BrighouseRef 17-1219
Opened in 2008 to supersede the Barracuda in the building which was formerly the Albert Theatre & Opera House

California, HalifaxRef 17-790
Brinton Terrace. Opened in 1897.

It was a Whitaker pub.

In 1901, Whitaker's offered to surrender the licences of the Horse & Trumpet and the California in order to be granted a licence for their new West End Hotel

The pub closed on 20th September 2001

Canterbury, RippondenRef 17-507
Old Bank.

Popularly known as the Old Cant.

It was one of a number of cottages built here in the late 1700s by Richard Jackson.

When nearby Ripponden Railway Station opened in 1878, the pub became the Railway Hotel.

This is discussed in the book Halifax Pubs Volume Two

Carlton Hotel, Hebden BridgeRef 17-584
Established in 1983 on the 2nd and 3rd floors of the Central Premises of the Hebden Bridge Industrial Co-operative.

It opened on 20th November 1986.

The hotel closed in 2002. It has been converted into private apartments

Carrington's, HalifaxRef 17-358
Ward's End. This was originally Holly House. Carrington's opened in 1985

Casa del Lago, BrighouseRef 17-361
Elland Road. In 2001, the Lakeside Lodge was refurbished and renamed. The name was later reduced to Casa.

In 2008, there were proposals to extend the facilities by building extra accommodation and car parking on land across the road from the main building

Castle Hotel, HalifaxRef 17-513
122 Hanson Lane.

It was a Brear & Brown pub [1887].

In 1871, it was known as the Cottage by the Way.

In 1897, it took over the licence of the Marquis of Granby in Copper Street.

It was a Brear & Brown pub, then it was a Whitaker pub [1916].

Because of its proximity to the Victoria Cattle Market, the pub had a licence to open at 10:00 am for those attending the market.

In the 1980s, it was known as the Armada.

The pub was known as the Buccaneer when it closed in 2009.

This is discussed in the book Halifax Pubs Volume Two

See Diamond Jubilee Lodge No. 369


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1871: John Holmes
  • 1881: Thomas Dean Hodgson
  • 1887: James Murgatroyd
  • 1891: George James Dell
  • 1894: George James Dell
  • 1901: George James Dell
  • 1905: George James Dell
  • 1910: George James Dell
  • 1910: Alfred Nebard
  • 1916: Alfred Nebard
  • 1917: Alfred Nebard
  • 1922: Alfred Nebard
  • 1922: Mrs Sarah Ellen Nebard
  • 1923: Mrs Sarah Ellen Nebard
  • 1923: Walter Henry Hatton
  • 1925: Walter Henry Hatton
  • 1925: Mrs Edith Mary Hatton
  • 1926: Mrs Edith Mary Hatton
  • 1926: Carl Hibbert
  • 1933: Carl Hibbert
  • 1933: James Hartley
  • 1936: James Hartley
  • 1937: James Hartley
  • 1937: Thomas Augustine Connell
  • 1942: Thomas Augustine Connell
  • 1942: Mrs Christine Connell
  • 1945: Mrs Christine Connell
  • 1945: Thomas Augustine Connell
  • 1957: Thomas Augustine Connell
  • 1957: Richard Horsfall
  • 1964: Edson Octavious Patrick
  • 1964: Richard Horsfall
  • 1964: Thomas Alfred Guy

 

Castle Hotel, Sowerby BridgeRef 17-792
Bridge Street / Broad Street. Opened in 1867.

It was a Ramsden pub.

The pub closed in 1955

See Bogden


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Castle, TodmordenRef 17-902
Longfield Road


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1822: Abraham Ashworth
  • 188?: John William Blacka
  • 1897: John William Blacka
  • 1907: William Tillotson Blacka

 

Cat & Fiddle, HalifaxRef 17-1381
Cheapside.

Formerly the Brass Cat

Cat Heads, SouthowramRef 17-1142


Question: Does anyone know exactly where the pub was located, or anything else about it?

 


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1829: William Naylor

 

T' Cat i' th' Well, Luddenden DeanRef 17-350
Wainstalls Lane, Lower Saltonstall.

Recorded in 1783.

There is a legend relating to the white rock – Cat Rocks – behind the pub which says that ...

the licensee must paint the rock white on a certain day of the year
If he fails to do this, the pub will fail.

The story says that ...

Robin Hood started this custom after he befriended the landlord of the pub on his travels between Nottingham and Carlisle. The landlord had hidden Robin Hood in the pub – some say it was a priest's hole – when the authorities were following him. The landlord's reward was a share in some of Robin's ill-gotten gains. The money was hidden near to the rock, and the only way the landlord could find the money was to paint it yearly so that Robin Hood on his travels could see that the hoard was being looked after, because the stone was newly-painted.
One year, as a joke, the landlord painted the stone pink not believing the legend. There was an uproar in Halifax and the pub went out of business later that year

This is discussed in the book Halifax Pubs Volume Two.

See Castle Carr, Caty Well Brook, Loyal Travellers Lodge and John Preston


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

T' Cat i' th' Window, HalifaxRef 17-40
8/10 Lower Kirkgate.

Stood on the corner of Lower Kirkgate and Berry Lane.

Opened in 1822

A spring in the cellar of the pub – the water of which flowed through the nearby Parish Church graveyard – fed a well used by a community of 800 people in the nearby Berry Lane area.

In 1858, the Inn was referred to as The Cat Inn when Ellen Ellison was found guilty of stealing 2/- from Mr Denton here.

It was a Webster's pub [1864, 1866].

On 18th April 1928, the property was sold to Halifax Corporation and the licence was transferred to the Shay Hotel.

The pub closed on 16th July 1928.

This is discussed in the book Halifax Pubs Volume Two.

See Cat Fold, Halifax and Halifax Parish Church Railings


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Cattle Market Hotel, TodmordenRef 17-496
North Street


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1905: Frank Halstead

 

Causeway Foot, OgdenRef 17-640
In the 1990s, it was known as The Whole Hog.

In 1905 the Inn was owned by Boardmans Brewers, Bradford, it was acquired by Bentley Yorkshire Brewery on the 8th Feb 1922.

It has now reverted back to the Causeway Foot.

This is discussed in the book Halifax Pubs Volume Two


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1822: William Bates
  • 1826: Mrs Bucks – owner
  • 1826: Jubal Riley
  • 1841: Jubal Riley
  • 1874: William Ambler
  • 1887: Samuel Ambler
  • 1890: Josiah Tattersall
  • 1890: Mrs Mary Hannah Tattersall
  • 1892: Mrs Mary Hannah Tattersall
  • 1892: Hollings Mitchell
  • 1905: Hollings Mitchell
  • 1911: Hollings Mitchell
  • 1917: Hollings Mitchell
  • 1922: Hollings Mitchell
  • 1922: Ernest Edward Greenwood
  • 1927: Ernest Edward Greenwood
  • 1927: Edwin Augustus Marrison
  • 1930: Edwin Augustus Marrison
  • 1930: Albert Ingham
  • 1931: Albert Ingham
  • 1931: Fred White Baker
  • 1936: Fred White Baker
  • 1940: Fred White Baker
  • 1940: Thomas Rushton
  • 1955: Thomas Rushton
  • 1955: Arthur Button

 

Cavendish Inn, Ambler ThornRef 17-641
Opened in 1887.

It was a Stocks pub [1898].

The pub closed on 30th April 1956


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1887: William H. Wright
  • 1894: Job Whiteley
  • 1914: George William Scott
  • 1914: John Percy Holbrook
  • 1914: Charles Bottomley
  • 1917?: George William Scott

 

Central Commercial Temperance Hotel, TodmordenRef 17-1163
York Street / Water Street / Halifax Road. Aka Central Temperance Hotel, Wild's Temperance Hotel.

It was demolished in 1922


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 18??: George Stansfield
  • 18??: George Harding
  • 1896: F. A. E. Stocker
  • 1900: Walter Wild
  • 1905: W. Wild

 

Chapel House, ColeyRef 17-368
Formerly the farm Chapel House, Coley.

It became the Malt Shovel, Coley

Chatburn & Jennings, LuddendenfootRef 17-793
Opened in 1861. It was popularly known as the Bog Trap, the Bug Trap, and the Buck Trap.

On 7th February 1923, the licence was revoked. It closed in 1923.

Public toilets were built on the site.

This is discussed in the book Halifax Pubs Volume Two


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Chequer, SouthowramRef 17-1014
Bank Top / Binns Top [?].


Question: Does anyone know exactly where the pub was located, or anything else about it?

 


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1822: John Dixon
  • 1829: Thomas Thompson

 

Cherry Tree, BarkislandRef 17-405
Wall Nook.

The pub closed in 19??.

It is now Cherry Tree Cottages


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1891: Joseph Whiteley

 

Cherry Tree, EllandRef 17-1032
New Street Opened in 18??

The pub closed in 19??

Cherry Tree, HalifaxRef 17-642
179 Pellon Lane.

The original pub was built in 1???

In 1891, this was replaced by the present larger building.

The pub closed in 19??


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1871: Job Smithies
  • 1881: Job Smithies
  • 1891: Joseph Dobson
  • 1898: Joseph Dobson
  • 1998: John Arthur
  • 1901: John Arthur
  • 1905: John Arthur
  • 1907: John Arthur
  • 1907: James Cordingley
  • 1909: James Cordingley
  • 1909: William Dewhirst
  • 1912: William Dewhirst
  • 1912: Wilfred Greenwood
  • 1914: Wilfred Greenwood
  • 1914: John Hocknell
  • 1917: John Hocknell
  • 1923: John Hocknell
  • 1923: John Robert Varley
  • 1933: John Robert Varley
  • 1933: Cyril Gledhill
  • 1936: Cyril Gledhill
  • 1944: Cyril Gledhill
  • 1944: John Crowther Slater
  • 1953: John Crowther Slater
  • 1953: Harry Bruce Publado
  • 1955: Harry Bruce Publado
  • 1955: Jack Rushworth
  • 1958: Jack Rushworth
  • 1958: George Hoyle
  • 1963: George Hoyle
  • 1963: Harold Jones
  • 1963: Harold Jones
  • 1963: Lawrence Caffney

 

Cherry Tree, Stone ChairRef 17-791
Opened in 1882 at Cherry Tree Farm, Stone Chair.

On 11th November 1882, the Inn was sold to Brown & Brear, together with 4 adjoining cottages and 2 closes of land. It was sold again in December 1882, and in 1886

The pub closed in 1906 following the Licensing Act [1904]


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1895: Joseph Craven
  • 1897: Joseph Craven
  • 1897: Ned Sharp
  • 1906: Ned Sharp

 

Cherry Tree, WalsdenRef 17-957
Bottoms / Allescholes Road, Moverley.

This was originally a beer house.

The pub was demolished in 18?? and Moverley Cottage was built on the site


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Church Stile, SowerbyRef 17-471
Sowerby New Road/Stocks Lane. Stands opposite St Peter's Church and is named for the Church Stile which led to the Church. It was rebuilt in 1884.

This was originally a beer house.

It was owned by John Selwyn Rawson [1903] and Whitaker's [1915].

Planning applications show that this was a Bentley's Yorkshire Breweries pub [1926].

The pub acquired a full licence in 1951.

This is discussed in the book Halifax Pubs Volume Two


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Church Tavern, HalifaxRef 17-323
1 Church Yard.

This was a timber-framed building – the Old Hall – which stood next to the Moot Hall and adjacent to Halifax Parish Church on the site now occupied by the Sunday school.

The pub closed in 1892. It was demolished in 1898


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Church Tavern, Sowerby BridgeRef 17-1356
Wharf Street. John Stansfield lived here and changed the name to the Musical Tavern

Church Tavern, WarleyRef 17-794
The pub closed in 1869

Claremount Inn, HalifaxRef 17-643
52 St Thomas's Street, between Earl Street and Dover Street.

This was originally a beer house.

Opened in 1875.

It was a Ramsden pub.

The pub closed on 14th January 1969.

This is discussed in the book Halifax Pubs Volume Two


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Clarence Hotel, HalifaxRef 17-530
77 Lister Lane / New Bond Street.

In August 1868, under the terms of the Halifax Improvements Acts, the pub applied for, and was granted, a music and dancing licence.

It was a Ramsden pub.

The pub closed in July 2004.

This is discussed in the book Halifax Pubs Volume Two.

See Room at the Top


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Clarence, MytholmroydRef 17-644
Brearley Lane.

Originally called the Mill Inn.

The pub closed in 1923

See Abraham Lumb


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Clarence, TodmordenRef 17-924
Dobroyd / 11 Higher Crescent.

On 18th October 1866, John Suthers began selling drink here


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Clarendon Hotel, Stone ChairRef 17-1064
Built in 18??.

Prior to 1895, the Hotel was (possibly) known as the Cavendish Hotel.

It was a Bentley's Yorkshire Breweries pub.

In January 1903, it was bought by Tom Barker of Halifax

Tom died at Hope Street, Shelf [6th May 1917] and the Hotel was sold to Ramsden's


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1851: David Sharp
  • 1882: David Sharp
  • 1882: Mrs Hannah Sharpe
  • 1895: Mrs Hannah Sharpe
  • 1895: Milfred Jagger
  • 1897: Milfred Jagger
  • 1897: Ben Smith
  • 1904: Ben Smith
  • 1904: Sarah Ann Wood
  • 1907: Sarah Ann Wood
  • 1907: William Ambler
  • 1917: William Ambler
  • 1917: Ambrose Norman
  • 1921: Ambrose Norman
  • 1921: Willie Riley
  • 1923: Willie Riley
  • 1923: Albert Edward Whitaker
  • 1925: Albert Edward Whitaker
  • 1925: Mary Ann Whitaker
  • 1926: Mary Ann Whitaker
  • 1926: Horace Chippendale
  • 1929: Horace Chippendale
  • 1929: George Remmer
  • 1929: George Remmer

 

Clifton Arms, BrighouseRef 17-531
10 Park Street. The building was part of a row of back-to-back terraced houses. It was converted into a pub in 1???.

The pub closed for several periods during 2003.

The pub closed for good in 2004.

In April 2006, plans were announced for converting the pub into 2 restaurants. It became an Asian restaurant called The Street


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1891: John William Lockwood
  • 1901: Charles S. Cardwell
  • 1902: W. Parsons
  • 1906: A. Greenwood
  • 1909: B. Wilson
  • 1912: J. Bottomley
  • 1928: T. Newton
  • 1936: Sam Sunderland
  • 1937: M. Page
  • 1941: Mr Walton
  • 1948: A. Walker
  • 1949: Mr Newby
  • 1958: J. Waterhouse

 

Clog Inn, HalifaxRef 17-780
Recorded on 31st July 1875, when Davis & Shoesmith advertised a sale at auction of

A well established BEERHOUSE known as the Clog Inn having frontage to King Cross Lane and in the occupation of William Hodgson


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Cloggers' Arms, WalsdenRef 17-900
10 Square Road.

This was originally a beer house opened at Nip Square, Walsden about 1830, by Abraham Law, a

Walsden clogger.

When the new highway (now Rochdale Road Walsden) was built by the railroad company his beerhouse lost the passing trade so he built another beerhouse with 4 cottages facing the old beerhouse on the new highway.

Initially it was called the Cloggers Arms but in 1848, it was renamed the Cross Keys.

See Dusty Miller, Walsden

Clothiers' Arms, GreetlandRef 17-645
Brow Bridge, Rochdale Road.

Part of a row of cottages (on the left going towards Norland).

The pub was owned by the Earl of Mexborough.

The pub closed on 24th December 1926.

The house became a fish shop.

The property was demolished in the 1970s


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Clough House Inn, RastrickRef 17-296
56 Clough Lane.

In 2016, it was acquired by Rick & Maggie Starkey and renamed The Four Sons.

See Clough House, Rastrick


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1822: Richard Hepworth
  • 1874: John Taylor
  • 1887: Francis Whatmough
  • 1893: Jack Holdroyd
  • 1894: Robert Jagger
  • 1894: Joah Holroyd
  • 1905: Alfred/Albert Tordoff
  • 1906: Alfred/Albert Tordoff
  • 1909: Samuel Clough
  • 1911: Samuel Clough
  • 1917: Samuel Clough
  • 1919: Edgar Marsden
  • 1923: J. W. Barker
  • 1923: Fred Mitchell
  • 1923: Geoffrey S. Mitchell
  • 1924: E. Dyson

 

Coach & Horses, Blackstone EdgeRef 17-585
Built in 1671.

On 5th May 1888, thousands of people from Rochdale, Blackburn, Bolton, Heywood and other town in Lancashire and several towns in Yorkshire, attended a meeting of Socialists near here.

In 1930, the pub was named The White House


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1894: Peter McIntyre

 

Coach & Horses, HalifaxRef 17-43
83 Haley Hill.

Mrs Elizabeth Oldfield was the owner until her death when it was acquired by Whitaker's.

It was a Whitaker pub [1886].

The pub was demolished [2008].

A supermarket and fast-food outlet were built on the site.

This is discussed in the book Halifax Pubs Volume Two.

See Ancient Order of Foresters and Stephen Keegan


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1822: James Thompson
  • 1829: David Baxendale
  • 1834: Samuel Turner
  • 1837: Samuel Turner
  • 1845: Samuel Turner
  • 1850: Joseph Denton
  • 1851: Joseph Denton
  • 1858: Joseph Carter
  • 1861: Abraham Crossley
  • 1864: Abraham Crossley
  • 1871: Henry Ashton
  • 1874: Richard Garforth
  • 1881: John Sladdin
  • 1882: John Sladdin
  • 1882: Martha Sladdin
  • 1887: Martha Sladdin
  • 1887: Edgar Radley
  • 1894: Edgar Radley
  • 1894: Frank Peace Radley
  • 1894: Mrs Elizabeth Oldfield – owner
  • 1900: Mrs Elizabeth Oldfield – owner
  • 1903: Frank Peace Radley
  • 1903: Mrs Betsy Ann Radley
  • 1905: Mrs Betsy Ann Radley
  • 1913: Mrs Betsy Ann Radley
  • 1913: George Henry Webster
  • 1917: George Henry Webster
  • 1920: George Henry Webster
  • 1920: Charles Hanson Spencer
  • 1922: Charles Hanson Spencer
  • 1927: Charles Hanson Spencer
  • 1927: Gilbert Raynor
  • 1936: Gilbert Raynor
  • 1939: Gilbert Raynor
  • 1939: Richard Sandham
  • 1940: Richard Sandham
  • 1940: George Uriah Garton
  • 1943: George Uriah Garton
  • 1943: Mrs Eleanor Garton
  • 1947: Mrs Eleanor Garton
  • 1947: Ernest Langley
  • 1950: Ernest Langley
  • 1950: David Charles – relief innkeeper
  • 1950: Edward Smith – relief innkeeper
  • 1951: Edward Smith – relief innkeeper
  • 1951: John Murphy
  • 1955: John Murphy
  • 1955: John Rolling Gudgiu
  • 1959: John Rolling Gudgiu
  • 1959: Frank Albert Malkin
  • 1960: Frank Albert Malkin
  • 1960: James Harold Grange

 

Coach & Horses, LuddendenfootRef 17-575
Burnley Road.

Originally the General Rawdon.

The car park occupies the site of an earlier mill.

The pub closed in 2007.

There are proposals to convert the property into apartments


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Coach & Horses, MixendenRef 17-574
The pub has had several names, including

Details in the entry for the Rose & Crown

Coach & Horses, RishworthRef 17-42
In the 1840s, the Booth Wood Inn became The Coach & Horses.

In 1857, it became The Oddfellows' Arms


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Coach & Horses, TodmordenRef 17-617
The pub stood at Dobroyd Bridge. John Fielden bought the building and renamed it Dawson Weir

Coach House, TodmordenRef 17-933
Scaitcliffe

Cock & Bottle, SouthowramRef 17-44
Bank Top / 1 Common Lane.

Built in 1645.

In September 1881, it was sold to Charles Stott at auction for £1,060.

Planning applications show that this was a Whitaker pub [April 1903].

In 2009, it closed. It re-opened in 2010


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Cock & Crown, HalifaxRef 17-1000

Cocoa TavernsRef 17-1254

Coiners, HalifaxRef 17-1120
Silver Street.

Pub in the building which was formerly the headquarters of the Halifax Equitable Benefit Building Society.

In 200?, the name changed to Silvers Bar

Cold Harbour, NorthowramRef 17-1228
See Swalesmoor Inn, Boothtown

Coley Chapel HouseRef 17-365

See Malt Shovel, Coley

Coliseum, HalifaxRef 17-1282
Night club. This opened in what was originally the Picture House cinema In 1987.

It subsequently became night-club then Liquid

Colliers' Arms, EllandRef 17-287
66 Park Road.

This was originally a beer house (possibly) known as the Waterloo.

Around 1871, the name is recorded as the Colliers' Arms.

This is discussed in the book Halifax Pubs Volume Two

See Waterloo, Elland


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Commercial, CopleyRef 17-1372
Recorded in 1922.

It is listed separately from the Commercial Hotel, Skircoat Green

Commercial, HalifaxRef 17-1177
Southgate.

This was originally a beer house


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1905: Mrs Mary Green

 

Commercial, HalifaxRef 17-484
93 Northgate.

Originally a Brear & Brown, it was acquired in 1918 by Whitaker's.

The pub closed in 1973.

It has subsequently been a wood-work shop and a Greek restaurant.

This is discussed in the book Halifax Pubs Volume Two.

See John Cain


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1845: John Crowther
  • 1850: John Crowther
  • 1856: John Crowther
  • 1864: Susannah Clayton
  • 1874: Eli Farnell
  • 1881: James Smith
  • 1887: James Smith
  • 1894: Mr Jennings
  • 1881: James Smith
  • 1891: William Hutton
  • 1905: William Hutton
  • 1905: Herbert Halliday
  • 1916: Herbert Halliday
  • 1916: Arthur Fisher
  • 1917: Arthur Fisher
  • 1919: Arthur Fisher
  • 1919: Harry Baldwin
  • 1922: Harry Baldwin
  • 1922: George Woods
  • 1928: George Woods
  • 1928: George Henry Webster
  • 1933: George Henry Webster
  • 1933: William Arthur Brudgeman
  • 1936: William Arthur Brudgeman
  • 1937: William Arthur Brudgeman
  • 1937: Stanley Foster Wilkinson
  • 1939: Stanley Foster Wilkinson
  • 1939: Joe Varley
  • 1944: Joe Varley
  • 1944: Henry Hall
  • 1945: Henry Hall
  • 1945: Charles Wright
  • 1949: Charles Wright
  • 1949: Arthur Parfit
  • 1950: Arthur Parfit
  • 1950: Jack France
  • 1951: Jack France
  • 1951: John Leonard Adams
  • 1952: John Leonard Adams
  • 1952: George Lee
  • 1961: George Lee
  • 1961: Kenneth John Artwood
  • 1961: Kenneth John Artwood
  • 1961: Thomas Tolan
  • 1962: Thomas Tolan
  • 1962: Harold Jones
  • 1962: Harold Jones
  • 1962: Eugene Cullen
  • 1964: Eugene Cullen
  • 1964: Kenneth Brooks
  • 1964: Kenneth Brooks
  • 1964: Edward Scothern

 

Commercial Hotel, HalifaxRef 17-1220
31 Horton Street Temperance Hotel & Lodging house [1881]

See Bentley's Commercial Hotel, Halifax


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1881: Henry Mitchell – [aged 50]
  • 1891: Thomas H. Richardson – [aged 62]

 

Commercial, IllingworthRef 17-482
79 Keighley Road.

Ownership transferred from Fielding's to Webster's [14th June 1961].

The pub was rebuilt by William Henry Wilkinson of Walsh & Maddock [1935].

It was demolished in 2000.

This is discussed in the book Halifax Pubs


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Commercial Inn, Sowerby BridgeRef 17-647
31 Wharf Street / Tuel Lane.

Planning applications show that this was a Stocks pub [October 1924].

It was a Stocks pub [1914].

It became the Lock Keeper's Tavern then the Wharf.

In December 2013, J. D. Wetherspoon reopened the pub as The Commercial

This is discussed in the book Halifax Pubs Volume Two


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Commercial, RastrickRef 17-532
1 Gooder Lane / Huddersfield Road. Described as
close to the Railway Station entrance

This is discussed in the book Halifax Pubs Volume Two


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Commercial, RippondenRef 17-1159
115 Oldham Road.

Originally a beerhouse known as Glenhaven Cottage.

It became the Commercial and was popularly known The Besom.

It became the Silk Mill [2011].

This is discussed in the book Halifax Pubs


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Commercial, Skircoat GreenRef 17-646
23 Lower Skircoat Green.

This was originally a beer house.

It was a Naylor pub, then it was a Whitaker pub [1897].

The pub closed in February 2004.

This is discussed in the book Halifax Pubs Volume Two


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1881: Joseph Naylor
  • 1894: Joseph Naylor
  • 1894: Thomas Henry Spencer
  • 1904: Thomas Henry Spencer
  • 1904: William Royds
  • 1911: William Royds
  • 1926: William Royds
  • 1926: Mrs Martha Royds
  • 1926: Jane Royds
  • 1926: John Thomas Carter
  • 1932: John Thomas Carter
  • 1932: Harry Robertsahw
  • 1950: Harry Robertsahw
  • 1950: Mrs Emily Robertshaw
  • 1950: Mrs Emily Robertshaw
  • 1950: Lawrence Plumbe
  • 1951: Lawrence Plumbe
  • 1951: William Vickerman
  • 1955: William Vickerman
  • 1955: Alan Dyson Raynor
  • 1957: Alan Dyson Raynor
  • 1957: John Horne
  • 1957: John Horne
  • 1957: Thomas Robert William Knowles

 

Common House Inn, HalifaxRef 17-1036
Woolshops. Recorded in 1735

Compass, IllingworthRef 17-1107


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1822: William Wigglesworth

 

Coopers' Arms, HalifaxRef 17-1009
Swine Market.

Formerly, The Rose & Crown.

Coopers' Arms is recorded in August 1808.

Later, The Sportsman


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1822: Elizabeth Crabtree

 

Copley Arms, SkircoatRef 17-45
New Road / Wakefield Road.


The pub was listed next to 8 Copley Terrace [1861 census].

It was listed between Copley Wood Lodge and Oats Royd, Copley Lane [1871 census]

 


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Corporation Arms, HalifaxRef 17-3124
46 Gibbet Street. Opened in 1856.

In August 1859, a beerhouse named the Corporation Arms at North Corporation Street, Halifax. This may have referred to the Corporation Inn.

The pub was built by Halifax Corporation for visitors to the Victoria cattle market.

John Hartley was a member of the Beacon Club which was held here in the 19th century.

In 1968, the Halifax Sunday Football League was founded here.

The pub closed on 29th January 1969, and – along with the old fire station – was demolished shortly afterwards for the Burdock Way redevelopment


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Corporation Inn, HalifaxRef 17-648
56 Corporation Street / Crib Lane. Opened in 1863.

It was a Ramsden pub.

On 2nd March 1903, the licence on the Inn was renewed on the proviso that the Corporation Tap, Halifax be permanently closed.

The pub closed on 9th January 1969 and was demolished when Burdock Way was constructed.

This is discussed in the book Halifax Pubs


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1864: William Rhodes Hall Gill
  • 1887: William Rhodes Hall Gill
  • 1894: William Rhodes Hall Gill
  • 1895: William Rhodes Hall Gill
  • 1895: William Mann
  • 1895: Elizabeth Ann Mann
  • 1901: Elizabeth Ann Mann
  • 1905: Elizabeth Ann Mann
  • 1905: Arthur Mann
  • 1907: Arthur Mann
  • 1907: Walter Appleyard
  • 1910: Walter Appleyard
  • 1910: Herbert Edward Hadwen
  • 1917: Herbert Edward Hadwen
  • 1924: Herbert Edward Hadwen
  • 1924: William Russell
  • 1929: William Russell
  • 1929: Dyson Edward Broadbent
  • 1933: Dyson Edward Broadbent
  • 1933: Charles Frederick Rowlands
  • 1935: Charles Frederick Rowlands
  • 1935: William Kitchen Wilkinson
  • 1936: William Kitchen Wilkinson
  • 1936: Wright Wilkinson
  • 1937: Wright Wilkinson
  • 1937: Charles Nicholson
  • 1944: Charles Nicholson
  • 1944: Madeleine Agnes Childs
  • 1947: Madeleine Agnes Childs
  • 1947: Henry Arthur Childs
  • 1949: Henry Arthur Childs
  • 1949: Charles Ernest Smith
  • 1951: Charles Ernest Smith
  • 1951: Carl Sykes
  • 1952: Carl Sykes
  • 1952: James William McEvoy
  • 1957: James William McEvoy
  • 1957: George Heaton
  • 1962: George Heaton
  • 1962: Michael McLoughlin

 

Corporation Tap, HalifaxRef 17-795
30 Crib Lane. Opened in 1871.

On 2nd March 1903, the licence on the Corporation Inn, Halifax was renewed on the proviso that the Corporation Tap be permanently closed

Country Friends, TodmordenRef 17-1164
A later name for the Dog & Partridge, Todmorden [2008]

Country House, HipperholmeRef 17-491
Originally called The Country House at Hipperholme.

In 1833, the licence was transferred here from the original Dumb Mill Inn.

It closed for a time and reopened as ????


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Courtyard, HalifaxRef 17-334
Ward's End. Originally the Bass House

Cow & Calf, HalifaxRef 17-1002
Matthew Normanton had been drinking here on the night of the murder of William Deighton in November 1769

Crab Trees, BarkislandRef 17-437


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1834: William Marsden

 

Cragg Vale Inn, ErringdenRef 17-C1
Church Bank Lane.

Recorded in 1898.

It was rebuilt in 1879.

It was a Stocks pub [1910].

In February 1912, Stocks sold the pub to Helen Simpson-Hinchcliffe.

In 1912, the name was changed to the Hinchliffe Arms.

This is discussed in the book Halifax Pubs Volume Two.

See Ruben Bramhall


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Craven Heifer, HalifaxRef 17-47
5 Cow Green / Back Street.

Opened in 1840. Stood next door to The King's Head.

In August 1868, under the terms of the Halifax Improvements Acts, the pub applied for, and was granted, a music and dancing licence.

It was a Stocks pub [1904].

The pub closed on 30th January 1920.

This and other buildings in the area were demolished for redevelopment in 1971


Question: Does anyone know how the opening date of 1840 reconciles with Samuel Whitaker being landlord in 1834? Could its earlier days have been as a beerhouse?

 

This is discussed in the book Halifax Pubs

See James Richardson


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Craven Heifer, MytholmroydRef 17-650
Hawksclough / Bethesda Row, Burnley Road


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Craven Heifer, NorthowramRef 17-925
The Inn is listed at 1 Shop? Alley ("Craven Heifer") [1871], and next to Upper Shibden Hall and The School House, Northowram [1881 census]


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Cricketers' Arms, HalifaxRef 17-789
29 Great Albion Street.

Opened in 1871.

The pub closed in 1898


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Crispin, HalifaxRef 17-649
9/11 Charles Street.

In 1936, this was listed as

Old Crispin Inn, 9 Charles Street

It was a Ramsden pub.

See Old Crispin, Halifax, St Crispin, Halifax and Upper Crispin, Halifax


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1874: John Whiteley
  • 1881: Fred Clayton – [aged 42]
  • 1887: Mrs M. E. Clayton
  • 1891: Aquilla Halstead
  • 1901: Fred Northrop
  • 1905: Fred Northrop
  • 1905: Arthur Savage
  • 1906: Arthur Savage
  • 1906: Mrs Ruth Ann Savage
  • 1908: Mrs Ruth Ann Savage
  • 1908: Walter Nowell
  • 1911: Walter Nowell
  • 1911: Isaac Webster
  • 1917: Isaac Webster
  • 1924: Isaac Webster
  • 1924: Joseph Aspinall
  • 1927: Joseph Aspinall
  • 1927: Samuel Smith
  • 1930: Samuel Smith
  • 1930: Walter William Dove
  • 1932: Walter William Dove
  • 1932: Leonard Robey
  • 1933: Leonard Robey
  • 1933: Fred Sheard
  • 1935: Fred Sheard
  • 1935: Wilfred Taylor
  • 1936: Wilfred Taylor
  • 1936: Leonard Hackett
  • 1937: Leonard Hackett
  • 1937: Reuben Stow
  • 1957: Reuben Stow
  • 1957: Mrs Olive Stow

 

Cross, EllandRef 17-5183
Westgate

See Britannia House, Lloyds Bank, Elland and Savile Arms Hotel


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1901: P. Thomas
  • 1905: Mrs Priscilla Crossley

 

Cross Hills Tavern, HalifaxRef 17-788
21-23 Cross Hills. Opened in 18??.

On 24th August 1895, Charles Greenwood had his licence renewal refused after 21-22 years of being licensee.

The pub closed in 1895


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1875: Charles Greenwood
  • 1891: Charles Greenwood
  • 1895: Charles Greenwood

 

Cross Inn, HeptonstallRef 17-955

See Union Cross

Cross Keys, HalifaxRef 17-651
71-73 King Cross Street.

The Swift family ran this pub and the Beehive Inn.

Henry Swift ran his brewery behind the pub.

On the 5th May 1920, the ownership & the licence transferrred from George Swift to his brother Dick Swift.

The pub closed on 30th September 1931.

This and the Beehive Inn were both demolished in 1932 when the road was widened and the Beehive & Cross Keys was built.

See Beehive


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Cross Keys, SiddalRef 17-49
3 Whitegate Road.

It was a Webster's pub [1878].

The present building has a datestone 1913


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Cross Keys, WalsdenRef 17-899
This was the name of the Clogger's Arms after it was changed in 1848.

St Peter's Church, Walsden was built around the same time – St Peter's emblem is a key


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Cross, OvendenRef 17-Q123

See Ovenden Cross

Cross Pipes, HalifaxRef 17-362
10 Silver Street. The Halifax Smoke Club was established here. The name was changed to The Duke Wellington around 1815, and then to The Woodman.

The pub was a well-known meeting place for the coiners. In October 1769, the coiner, James Jagger, was arrested here

Cross Pipes, RishworthRef 17-1026


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1822: William Hitchen

 

Cross Roads, WainstallsRef 17-652
Balkram Edge / Cross Road.

Built around 1864.

This was originally a beer house.

In 1906, it was owned by Benjamin Jackson of Bradshaw. Later, it was bought by Samuel Webster.

This is discussed in the book Halifax Pubs Volume Two.

See Wainstalls Cricket Club


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1881: Susannah Beverley
  • 1905: William Holland
  • 1905: William Holland
  • 1907: William Holland
  • 1907: Thomas Scott
  • 1908: Thomas Scott
  • 1908: John Hoyle
  • 1913: John Hoyle
  • 1913: Fred Ambler
  • 1913: Fred Ambler
  • 1913: Mary Ambler
  • 1925: Mary Ambler
  • 1925: George Herbert Turner
  • 1928: George Herbert Turner
  • 1928: George Henry Box
  • 1928: George Henry Box
  • 1928: Ambrose Firby Johnson
  • 1929: Ambrose Firby Johnson
  • 1929: Edwin Holden
  • 1931: Edwin Holden
  • 1931: Robert Wellock
  • 1933: Robert Wellock
  • 1933: George Goodison
  • 1933: George Goodison
  • 1933: Edmund Patchett
  • 1934: Edmund Patchett
  • 1934: Laban Mitchell
  • 1935: Laban Mitchell
  • 1935: Willie Barrett
  • 1936: Willie Barrett
  • 1936: Jack Baxendale
  • 1937: Jack Baxendale
  • 1938: Jack Baxendale
  • 1938: Richard Coltman Dixon
  • 1941: Richard Coltman Dixon
  • 1941: Daniel Lomas
  • 1945: Daniel Lomas
  • 1945: George William Gaukroger
  • 1950: George William Gaukroger
  • 1950: George Whitworth
  • 1960: George Whitworth

 

Cross, Sowerby BridgeRef 17-438
Barkisland


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1834: John Hayley

 

Cross Stones, TodmordenRef 17-916
Stansfield


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1822: William Dawson

 

Crosse, HalifaxRef 17-889
The original name of the Union Cross, Halifax

Crown & Anchor, EllandRef 17-53
Briggate. In March 1864, an advertisement appeared in the Halifax Guardian inviting tenders for quarrying of stone on a site adjacent to the Crown and Anchor Inn. Tenders for the construction of the new Royal appeared at the same time.

This was originally 2 cottages. It became a pub in 18??.

It was a Stocks pub [1890s].

The pub was demolished in the 1890s to make way for Britannia House.

This is discussed in the book Halifax Pubs


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1822: David Farrar
  • 1824: David Farrar
  • 1829: Joseph Hanson
  • 1834: Joseph Hanson
  • 1845: William Watson
  • 1861: William Watson
  • 1864: George Watson

 

Crown & Anchor, HalifaxRef 17-1214
Cheapside


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Crown & Anchor, HalifaxRef 17-51
31 Bull Green / Cow Green.

The pub was known as The Smiling Mule [1844, 1910].

It was known as Scratcherd's when Scratcherd & Company occupied the pub. It was then acquired by Whitaker's.

This is discussed in the book Halifax Pubs Volume Two.

See Adega, Halifax and The Adega, Halifax


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1822: James Thompson
  • 1822: Thomas Illingworth
  • 1829: Thomas Illingworth
  • 1830: Thomas Casson
  • 1834: Thomas Casson
  • 1837: Thomas Casson
  • 1841: William Armitage
  • 1845: James Walton
  • 1850: Sarah Hatton
  • 1851: Thomas Shaw
  • 1853: Thomas Shaw
  • 1854: Mrs Ellen Sutcliffe
  • 1861: Mrs Ellen Sutcliffe
  • 1864: Scratcherd & Company
  • 1906: Thomas Greenwood
  • 1908: Thomas Greenwood
  • 1908: Charles Frederick Roberts
  • 1911: Charles Frederick Roberts
  • 1911: Thomas Greenwood – relief innkeeper
  • 1911: Thomas Greenwood – relief innkeeper
  • 1916: Charles Frederick Roberts
  • 1916: William Hirst Clegg
  • 1917: William Hirst Clegg
  • 1917: Benjamin Twiney – relief innkeeper
  • 1917: Fred England
  • 1927: Fred England
  • 1927: George Parker Wilkinson
  • 1934: George Parker Wilkinson
  • 1934: Fred Brockless
  • 1935: Fred Brockless
  • 1935: William Henry Chalcraft
  • 1936: Fred Brockless
  • 1947: Frederick Charles Green

 

Crown & Anchor, IllingworthRef 17-50


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1845: William Horsfield
  • 1853: Benj. Tatham

 

Crown & Anchor, LuddendenfootRef 17-1091


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Crown & Anchor, MixendenRef 17-483
It was a Brear & Brown pub [1880].

The pub has had several names, including

Details in the entry for the Rose & Crown

Crown & Cushion, HalifaxRef 17-340
32 Winding Road / Ann Street.

This was originally a beer house.

The pub opened in 1888.

The pub closed on 16th January 1969


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Crown, BrighouseRef 17-121
6 Lightcliffe Road.

The Crown Hotel Beerhouse, Brighouse is recorded in 1869 when Squire Sykes was here.

The pub was built in 1878. In 1891, it was sold to Joshua Tetley & Sons Limited


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1869: Squire Sykes
  • 1878: John Roper
  • 1887: John Roper
  • 1891: John W. B. Clarkson
  • 1894: John W. B. Clarkson
  • 1917: George Dale
  • 1920: Ellen Dale
  • 1932: Wright Walker
  • 1948: F. Wood
  • 1960: G. Taylor
  • 1973: Don McEvoy

 

Crown, HalifaxRef 17-1255
Horton Street


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1894: Mr McLean

 

Crown, HalifaxRef 17-653
45 Church Street / Blackledge.

Originally, Greece House.

It became the Crown Hotel [around 18??].

It was a Brear & Brown pub 1897-1917, then a Whitaker pub [1917].

It became the Imperial Crown Hotel [19??].

See Railway Hotel, Halifax Station Hotel, Halifax John Aspinall & Sons


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1881: George Walker
  • 1887: William Johnson
  • 1887: William Brear
  • 1897: William Brear
  • 1905: Sam Wilson [Manager]
  • 1905: William Brear
  • 1906: William Brear
  • 1906: John Willie Scott
  • 1909: John Willie Scott
  • 1909: Arthur Holt
  • 1917: Arthur Holt
  • 1917: Abraham Pickles
  • 1925: Abraham Pickles
  • 1925: Herbert Ashworth Horsley
  • 1927: Herbert Ashworth Horsley
  • 1927: John Nunbobbin
  • 1937: John Nunbobbin
  • 1937: William Mackenzie
  • 1937: Ronald William Jackson
  • 1941: Ronald William Jackson
  • 1941: Samuel Law
  • 1942: Samuel Law
  • 1942: Percy William Sharrett
  • 1947: Percy William Sharrett
  • 1947: Frank Dixon
  • 1949: Frank Dixon
  • 1949: William Matthew Cox
  • 1950: William Matthew Cox
  • 1950: Ronald Moon
  • 1953: Ronald Moon
  • 1953: Ronald Smith
  • 1961: Ronald Smith
  • 1961: Joseph Clark
  • 1961: Douglas Stephenson
  • 1962: Douglas Stephenson
  • 1962: Roland Banting Maxfield
  • 1964: Roland Banting Maxfield
  • 1964: Fred Fenwick
  • 1964: Jack Gabbitas

 

Crown, HalifaxRef 17-656
Aka Crown Tavern.

12 Charles Street.

Opened in 1887.

It was a Webster's pub [1905].

The pub closed on 20th April 1949


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1871: Jonathan Carlton
  • 1881: James Dyson – [aged 37]
  • 1891: Fred Northrop
  • 1901: Fred Northrop
  • 1905: Mrs Kezia Northrop
  • 1910: Mrs Kezia Northrop
  • 1910: Edna Northrop
  • 1912: Edna Northrop
  • 1912: Charles Wilcock
  • 1914: Charles Wilcock
  • 1914: John Crabtree
  • 1921: John Crabtree
  • 1921: Joseph Aspinall
  • 1924: Joseph Aspinall
  • 1924: John Gledhill
  • 1927: John Gledhill
  • 1927: William Charles Brown
  • 1927: William Charles Brown
  • 1927: Harold Oldroyd
  • 1933: Harold Oldroyd
  • 1933: William Russell
  • 1936: William Russell
  • 1936: Alfred Tuffitt – relief innkeeper
  • 1936: Alfred Tuffitt – relief innkeeper
  • 1936: Joseph Hargreaves
  • 1937: Joseph Hargreaves
  • 1937: John Henry Tate
  • 1947: John Henry Tate
  • 1947: John Helliwell
  • 1949: John Helliwell

 

Crown, Sowerby BridgeRef 17-654
Grange Place / Wharf Street. Opened in 1873.

Planning applications show that this was a Ramsden pub [July 1921].

The pub closed in 1950. It became Grange House


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Crown Tavern, HalifaxRef 17-655
93 New Bank / Prospect Street.

It was a Stocks pub, then it was a Webster's pub.

The pub closed 21st June 1963.

This is discussed in the book Halifax Pubs Volume Two


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Cunning Corner, RishworthRef 17-312
Oldham Road

In the 1880s, the Oddfellows' Arms became The Cunning Corner.

The pub was owned by John Wilkinson Hoyle Wheelwright when he died [1893], and the inn remained in the estate until it was sold to Hammond's Brewery [23rd November 1938]. On the 6th Nov 1909 Elizabeth Firth was fined 20shillings with 17shillings costs for serving adulterated whisky.

In 2004, the property was up for sale.

It became the Old Bore [2007].

See St Matthew's Church, Rishworth

This is discussed in the book Halifax Pubs


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 


A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z


© Malcolm Bull 2019
Revised 15:46 /20th July 2019 / p200_c / 165492

search tips advanced search
site search by freefind

web counter