Pubs & inns

D



A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z


Damside, SoylandRef 17-1005
Mill Bank. Aka T' dam side.

There appears to be some overlap with this and the Sportsman which was next door.

Named for the dam which fed the Old Water Mill.

A

Public House called Damside at Soyland Mill

was advertised for sale in 1782.

The pub closed in 1927.

It was converted into a house in the 1930s.

It is now [2012] called Homestead Cottage.

See Damside House


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Darby, RishworthRef 17-1016


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1822: John Garside
  • 1864: Richard Greenwood

 

Deaf Mill, HipperholmeRef 17-1403
Heywood writes of


Deaf Mill, an alehouse
 

and records John Bottomley [1678] and Henry Bamford [1679] here

See Mill at Deaf Mill, Hipperholme

Dean Clough, HalifaxRef 17-476
Lee Bridge. The Shears Inn was renamed the Dean Clough Inn in 1987.

It became the Olde Shears Inn in ????

Delacy's, EllandRef 17-589
Northgate

Delvers' Arms, Crow PointRef 17-880
It was a Halifax Brewing Company Limited House.

The pub closed in 1925


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1905: George William Scott
  • 1908: George William Scott
  • 1908: William Stansfield
  • 1917: William Stansfield
  • 1917: Billy Coldwell
  • 1919: Billy Coldwell
  • 1919: George Foster
  • 1920: George Foster
  • 1920: John Hinchliffe
  • 1923: John Hinchliffe
  • 1923: John Edward Henry
  • 1925: John Edward Henry

 

Delvers' Arms, HalifaxRef 17-398
6 Collier Toppin, Boothtown.

This was originally a beer house.

In 1874, the pub was leased for 5 years to Haley and John Briggs of West Scholes Brewery near Queensbury.

On 3rd March 1924, this was one of 3 public houses which were referred for compensation at Halifax Brewster Sessions. The others were the Bay Horse, Pleasant View and Pineberry Hill Tavern, Southowram Bank.

The pub closed in 1925


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1905: George Scott

 

Delvers' Arms, HipperholmeRef 17-657
Denholme Gate Road / Towngate.

The pub closed in 1923


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Delvers' Arms, MidgleyRef 17-607
Towngate. Recorded in 1866.

The pub closed in 1910 following the Licensing Act [1904].

In 1910, John Murgatroyd of Oats Royd Mill, who owned the property, wrote to Halifax Town Hall, saying that he did not intend to apply to renew the licence at the next Brewster Sessions.

The building is now private houses.

See Grove Brewery, Brearley

Delvers' Arms, RastrickRef 17-1144


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1829: Thomas Lofthouse
  • 1881: Henry Bentley

 

Delvers' Arms, ShibdenRef 17-1191
After 1858, the name was changed to The Museum


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Delvers' Arms, SouthowramRef 17-54
Brookfoot Hill.

It was originally owned by Naylor's and was sold to Ramsden's in 1910.

The Brighouse Lark Singing Association held their meetings here.

The pub closed in December 1949.

It is now 2 separate houses.

The name of the pub can still be seen on the gable end of the Lady Royd buildings at the top of the hill.

See John Naylor


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1829: Mr Rothwell
  • 1834: George Thackrah
  • 1841: William Holmes
  • 1851: William Holmes
  • 1857: Joseph Rushworth
  • 1861: William Kitchen
  • 1864: William Kitchen
  • 1871: John Hemingway
  • 1874: John Hemingway
  • 1881: William Fairburn
  • 1887: William Beaumont
  • 1891: Edward Healey
  • 1894: Joseph Blackburn
  • 1895: William Leather
  • 1906: William Leather
  • 1906: James Jackson
  • 1908: James Jackson
  • 1908: Harry Smith
  • 1909: Harry Smith
  • 1909: George Stansfield
  • 1920: George Stansfield
  • 1920: Ernest Edward Mann
  • 1923: Ernest Edward Mann
  • 1923: Laura Bell Cordingley
  • 1929: Laura Bell Cordingley
  • 1929: Harry Baxter
  • 1930: Harry Baxter
  • 1930: Edward Watson
  • 1931: Edward Watson
  • 1931: Martha Jane Haigh
  • 1934: Martha Jane Haigh
  • 1934: John Ford
  • 1949: W. Ford

 

Delvers, WainstallsRef 17-310
Cold Edge Road / Withens Road. Formerly the New Delight, Wainstalls. The name was changed in 1987

Denfield Arms, WheatleyRef 17-659
Ramsden Street.

This was originally a beer house.

The pub was opened between 1861 & 1871 by Moses Brear,

It was a Whitaker pub.

In July 1940, an application is recorded for the provisional removal of the licence from the Old Hand & Tankard, Wheatley to premises in the course of erection at Denfield Lane, to be known as the Denfield Arms. It was later recorded that the new premises were to be known as the Ovenden Way Hotel. The pub was demolished and replaced by the Ovenden Way Hotel in 1940


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 186?: Moses Brear
  • 1871: Mrs Matilda Brear
  • 1881: Francis Wood
  • 1891: Squire Bedford
  • 1901: John Henry Ellis
  • 1903: Samuel Dewhurst
  • 1905: Frank Barker
  • 1906: Frank Barker
  • 1906: Albert Priestley
  • 1917: Albert Priestley
  • 1920: Albert Priestley
  • 1920: Joe Herbert Priestley
  • 1926: Joe Herbert Priestley
  • 1926: Ralph Barrett
  • 1927: Ralph Barrett
  • 1927: Ernest Turner
  • 1928: Ernest Turner
  • 1928: Arthur Patchett
  • 1935: Arthur Patchett
  • 1935: James Allan Hiley
  • 1936: James Allan Hiley
  • 1940: James Allan Hiley

 


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Derby Bar, RishworthRef 17-55
Aka Derby Inn.

Oldham Road.

Opened in 1822.

A coaching inn for the turnpike.

Stands alongside Booth Wood Reservoir with a view of the M62.

It was owned by Lord Savile of Rishworth Lodge.

It was a temperance hotel [1890s].

After Stainland Wesleyan Chapel was demolished in the 1960s, the pulpit from the chapel was used as a bar at the pub.

During World War I, Lord Savile closed the pub. He had problems renewing the licence afterwards.

On 26th November 1881, John Kenworthy, his wife and daughter, drowned in Booth Dean Beck after calling at the Derby Bar.

On 7th April 1906, there was a fatal accident near the Inn.

The pub been variously named Exit 22 and The Turnpike.

This is discussed in the book Halifax Pubs


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1845: Thomas Leever
  • 1859: Eliza Briggs
  • 1871: William Harrison
  • 1897: William Harrison
  • 1897: Benjamin Sykes
  • 1904: Benjamin Sykes
  • 1904: Daniel Hampshire
  • 1904: Daniel Hampshire
  • 1904: Alexander George Henley
  • 1910: Alexander George Henley
  • 1910: Christopher Morrison
  • 1912: Christopher Morrison
  • 1912: William Britton
  • 1915: William Britton

 

Derby Beerhouse, HalifaxRef 17-1312

Recorded in April 1868, when Henry Sharp of the Derby Beerhouse was charged with stealing a lock and key

Devonshire Arms, HalifaxRef 17-660
6 Garden Street North / New Bank.

This was originally a beer house.

It was a Brear & Brown pub [1899], then it was a Whitaker pub [1916].

The pub closed in 1937 and was bought by Halifax Corporation


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Dining Rooms, Sowerby BridgeRef 17-1404
West Street.

Recorded in 1914, when it was a beerhouse


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1914: William George Grace
  • 1914: Arthur Edward Rawnsley

 

Dirty Dick's, HalifaxRef 17-1329

The former Royal Oak, Halifax has had a succession of name changes: the Tap & Spile; The Royal Oak again; Dirty Dick's.

Named for Richard ? – the master of the frigate HMS Newcastle – the wood of which was used when the pub was rebuilt in 1931

Diving Bell, HalifaxRef 17-1260
Hoyland's Passage

This was originally a beer house.

Recorded on 3rd April 1875, when the Halifax Guardian reported that

Priscilla Morris of the Diving Bell was charged with selling spirits without a licence

Dog & Gun, RastrickRef 17-414
4 Eleanor Street.

The pub closed on 26th December 1932


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1881: Mary Ann Lancaster [widow]
  • 1891: Paul Taylor
  • 1900: Paul Taylor
  • 1901: W. Atkinson
  • 1902: A. Marshall
  • 1906: W. Briggs
  • 1930: Fred Smith
  • 1931: Alf Rushworth

 

Dog & Partridge, HalifaxRef 17-1409
Haley Hill


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1861: John Spencer

 

Dog & Partridge, HeptonstallRef 17-5600
35 Towngate.

The Inn became Furley House Tea Rooms [1970s] and then Furley House.

William Clarke died in an incident here [1889].

The licence for the pub was withdrawn on 10th October 1889


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 188?: Mr Hollinrake

 

Dog & Partridge, LumbuttsRef 17-56
The name is recorded in 1909.

It was formerly known as the Sportsman's Arms.

It subsequently became the Top Brink


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Dog & Partridge, SowoodRef 17-57
Forest Hill Road / Park Road End, Stainland.

Late 18th century building.

A chart in the bar, claims a continuous chain of ownership by the Broadbent family – including married daughters – since around 1400.

This is discussed in the book Halifax Pubs Volume Two


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Dog & Partridge, TodmordenRef 17-457
Sourhall. It was previously known as the Sourhall.

It was closed in 2004.

It reopened as the Country Friends


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1890: Mrs Ashworth – [1845-1891]
  • 1891: Ruth Craven – daughter of Mrs Ashworth [temporary transfer of license]
  • 1891: Barker Helliwell
  • 1897: Barker Law

 

Drop, HalifaxRef 17-796
The pub closed in 1922

Drop Inn, EllandRef 17-894
Present name of the former Oddfellows' Arms, Elland

Druids' Arms, GreetlandRef 17-533
Brandy Hole / Martin Green Lane.

Built in the 18th century.

Popularly known as The Rat.

The pub closed in 2004


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Druids' Arms, HalifaxRef 17-573
35 New Road.

It became the Overdraught and the Pump Room.

In April 2014, the building was boarded up in preparation for demolition and redevelopment of the site


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1891: William Henry Spencer
  • 1905: Fred Marshall
  • 1905: Fred Marshall
  • 1907: Fred Marshall
  • 1907: Herbert Brook
  • 1911: Herbert Brook
  • 1927: Herbert Brook
  • 1927: Mary Brook
  • 1927: Mary Brook
  • 1927: Leonard King
  • 1936: Leonard King
  • 1945: Leonard King
  • 1945: Guy Frederick Eastwood
  • 1947: Guy Frederick Eastwood
  • 1947: Alfred Taylor
  • 1953: Alfred Taylor
  • 1953: Ronald Earnshaw
  • 1957: Ronald Earnshaw
  • 1957: Patrick James Loftus
  • 1958: Patrick James Loftus
  • 1958: Frank Clifton
  • 1958: John Midgley

 

Dublin Arms, HalifaxRef 17-401
7 Berry Lane.

The pub closed in 1905 following the Licensing Act [1904].

Aka the Waggon & Horses


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1896: Charles Fleming
  • 1901: Charles Fleming
  • 1905: Mrs Elizabeth Hoyle

 

Duke of Edinburgh, BrighouseRef 17-797
29 Mill Lane. Opened in 1886.

The pub closed in December 1926


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Duke of Edinburgh, HalifaxRef 17-662
227 Queens Road.

This was originally a beer house.

It was a Webster's pub [1881], and Ramsden & Sons [from 1905-1960]


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1881: William Widdop
  • 1895: Abraham Widdop
  • 1905: Mrs Clara Widdop
  • 1911: Mrs Clara Widdop
  • 1914: Mrs Clara Widdop
  • 1914: Lewis Henry Helliwell
  • 1923: Lewis Henry Helliwell
  • 1923: Walter Verney Cockroft
  • 1925: Walter Verney Cockroft
  • 1925: George Hiripland
  • 1928: George Hiripland
  • 1928: Albert Edward Smith
  • 1932: Albert Edward Smith
  • 1932: John William Dewhirst
  • 1935: John William Dewhirst
  • 1935: Herbert Hadwen
  • 1936: Herbert Hadwen
  • 1941: Herbert Hadwen
  • 1941: Ethel Hadwen
  • 1943: Ethel Hadwen
  • 1943: Arthur Dormer
  • 1957: Arthur Dormer
  • 1957: Mary Ann Dormer
  • 1958: Mary Ann Dormer
  • 1958: Thomas Henry Durn
  • 1959: Thomas Henry Durn
  • 1959: Harold Gledhill Beaumont

 

Duke of Leeds' Arms, HalifaxRef 17-60
3 Gaol Lane.

This was originally a beer house.

From 1662, the debtors' jail was next to The Duke of Leeds. The pub was also known as the Gaol Inn.

In 1845, it was written that

Up to within a few years, a public house called The Duke of Leeds was kept in connection with the gaol; but the union between the prison and a public house has wisely been dissolved.

The gaol is kept by F. Scott, bailiff of the Lord of the Manor

It was owned by Rev John Barling, and, after his death [1883] passed to his daughters Edith Elizabeth & Eliza Jane. In August 1868, under the terms of the Halifax Improvements Acts, the pub applied for, but was refused, a music and dancing licence.

The pub closed in 1910 following the Licensing Act [1904]

See Harriet Hemingway and Duke of Leeds


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Duke of WellingtonRef 17-1355
Around the end of 2012, The Goose at the Arcade was renamed The Duke of Wellington

Duke of Wellington, HalifaxRef 17-1389
King Street


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Duke of York, HalifaxRef 17-64
26 Russell Street / Petticoat Lane.

In August 1868, under the terms of the Halifax Improvements Acts, the pub applied for, but was refused, a music and dancing licence


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1822: Joseph Rushworth
  • 1829: James Rushworth
  • 1834: Joseph Rushworth
  • 1837: Elizabeth Rushworth
  • 1841: Abraham Holt
  • 1845: Thomas Holdsworth
  • 1850: William Roberts
  • 1859: Mr Roberts
  • 1864: James Naylor
  • 1881: William Whiteley
  • 1887: William Whiteley
  • 1891: William Whiteley

 

Duke of York, RastrickRef 17-63
1 Bridge End.

Stood at the southern end of the bridge over the Calder.

The pub closed on 24th December 1927.

The building was demolished in 1933 when the road was widened.

This is discussed in the book Halifax Pubs.

See John Bottomley


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Duke of York, StainlandRef 17-65
Originally 3 mid-18th century cottages which stood in a large garden.

The cottages were converted to a pub in the early 1800s.

It was a Brear & Brown pub [1896]. then it was a Whitaker pub [1920].

This is discussed in the book Halifax Pubs Volume Two

See Abraham Haigh


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Duke of York, Stone ChairRef 17-62
Early 19th century building.

The West Street Brewery was next to the inn.

It was a Brear & Brown pub [1891, 1902], then it was a Whitaker pub [1916].

This is discussed in the book Halifax Pubs Volume Two.

See Harry Percy Jackson and Stone Chair


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Duke of York, TodmordenRef 17-1211
Halifax Road

Duke Wellington, HalifaxRef 17-1084
29 / 30 Silver Street. Formerly the Cross Pipes. When the Duke of Wellington became unpopular, the name was again changed to The Woodman


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1822: J. Smithson
  • 1829: William Crowther
  • 1837: William Crowther

 

Duke Wellington, HalifaxRef 17-357
14 King Street.

This was originally a beer house.

The pub closed in 1905 following the Licensing Act [1904].

It was demolished in the 1930s


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1881: Edmund Longbottom – [aged 24]
  • 1891: Edwin Blakey – [?]
  • 1891: Edwin Bailey – [?]
  • 1896: Joseph Teal
  • 1897: Thomas Kelly
  • 1905: Thomas Byron

 

Duke William, HalifaxRef 17-58
Clark Bridge / 16 Bridge Street East / 20 Bridge Street East.

The pub stood next to the railway arch on the south side of the road at Clark Bridge.

Opened in 1819.

It was a Webster's House [1905].

The pub closed on 25th July 1965.

This is discussed in the book Halifax Pubs Volume Two

See Duke Yard, Halifax


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1822: Michael Norminton
  • 1829: Michael Norminton
  • 1834: Joshua Barker
  • 1837: Thomas Williams
  • 1845: Thomas Bottomley
  • 1850: Adam Battinson
  • 1859: Mr Buckley
  • 1861: Joseph Buckley
  • 1871: Joseph Buckley
  • 1874: William Curtis
  • 1881: Fielden Binns
  • 1887: Fielden Binns
  • 1894: Fielden Binns
  • 1901: James M Parker
  • 1901: James M Parker
  • 1905: Alfred Carter
  • 1905: Mrs Ellen Carter
  • 1907: Mrs Ellen Carter
  • 1907: Rothwell Ainley
  • 1914: Rothwell Ainley
  • 1914: Stephen Buckley
  • 1917: Stephen Buckley
  • 1918: Stephen Buckley
  • 1918: George Buckley
  • 1927: George Buckley
  • 1927: Joseph Dewhirst
  • 1929: Joseph Dewhirst
  • 1929: Squire Spence
  • 1934: Squire Spence
  • 1934: Frank Smith
  • 1935: Frank Smith
  • 1936: Frank Smith
  • 1935: Thomas Hepworth
  • 1936: Thomas Hepworth
  • 1936: John Oates
  • 1937: John Oates
  • 1937: Frank Holmes
  • 1938: Frank Holmes
  • 1938: Arthur Fleetwood
  • 1939: Arthur Fleetwood
  • 1939: Francis Cecil Webb
  • 1940: Francis Cecil Webb
  • 1940: Joseph Clarke
  • 1946: Joseph Clarke
  • 1946: Teresa Clarke
  • 1946: Teresa Clarke
  • 1946: Raymond Waddington
  • 1947: Margery Waddington
  • 1947: Margery Waddington
  • 1947: Raymond Waddington
  • 1947: Harry Horne
  • 1951: Harry Horne
  • 1951: Mrs Mary Catherine Horne
  • 1958: Mrs Mary Catherine Horne
  • 1958: Joseph Levi Shaw
  • 1960: Joseph Levi Shaw
  • 1960: Francis Vincent Baines
  • 1963: Francis Vincent Baines
  • 1963: Frank Ryan
  • 1964: Frank Ryan
  • 1964: Bridgeman Whitehead
  • 1965: Bridgeman Whitehead

 

Dumb Mill, HipperholmeRef 17-1008
Tan House Hill.

This was the original Dumb Mill Inn

In 1833, the licence was transferred to what is now the Country House, Hipperholme

See Old Dumb Mill, Hipperholme


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1822: Benjamin Scholefield

 

Dusty Miller, HalifaxRef 17-663
84 Pellon Lane / Green Lane. Opened in 1859.

It was a Stocks pub, then it was a Whitaker pub.

The pub closed on 8th December 1968 and demolished shortly afterwards.

The Running Man was built on the site.

This is discussed in the book Halifax Pubs Volume Two


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Dusty Miller, Hove EdgeRef 17-67

This is discussed in the book Halifax Pubs.

See Hove Edge conveniences


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Dusty Miller, MytholmroydRef 17-D74
Burnley Rod. Coaching inn built about 1785 by Dr John Alexander. This is said to be the oldest pub in Mytholmroyd. It has Venetian windows

The local Post Office was here [1845].

In July 1897, Brear & Brown bought the property at auction for £4,850.

It is often written that the Cragg Vale Coiners plotted the murder of William Deighton here, but since Deighton died in 1769 – over 10 years before the pub was built – this seems doubtful.

This is discussed in the book Halifax Pubs.

See Barbary's and Mytholmroyd Female Society


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1822: James Broadbent
  • 1834: Thomas Baldwin
  • 1845: Charles Crowther
  • 1851: Charles Crowther
  • 1861: John Dugdale
  • 1874: William Greenwood
  • 1887: William Greenwood
  • 1894: William Greenwood
  • 1905: John Hesselden
  • 1917: Fred Simpson

 

Dusty Miller, Sowerby BridgeRef 17-664
Old Causeway.

Opened in 1815.

Planning applications show that this was a Webster pub [April 1903].

On 7th February 1906, renewal of the licence was refused because

the premises were of a disorderly character and have been ill-conducted in the fact that there have been 2 convictions – permitting drunkenness [15th July 1905] and suffering gaming [9th October 1905] – since the last Brewster Sessions

The pub closed in 1906 following the Licensing Act [1904].

It was converted into 2 cottages.

See Thomas Whitaker


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Dusty Miller, WalsdenRef 17-898

This was originally a beer house opened at Nip Square, Walsden about 1830, by Samuel Crossley, a corn miller.

Some time between 1851 and 1861, the 2 original cottages were knocked through, to form one building.

Shortly afterwards, the owner acquired the cottage next door, and again knocked the 2 properties into one.

In the 1930s, it was converted into private housing.

It is now Number 12 Square Road.

See Clogger's Arms, Walsden


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Dyer & Miller, HalifaxRef 17-68
Bank Bottom

The pub was demolished some time before World War I.

See Samuel Charlton


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Dyers Arms, HalifaxRef 17-1229
16 Back Street


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Dyers Arms, RastrickRef 17-420
Birds Royd. The Rastrick Botanical Naturalists' Society met here.

The pub closed in 1900. The building and other property were demolished to make way for extensions to the railway


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1894: Walter Dearnaly

 


A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z


© Malcolm Bull 2019
Revised 10:45 /4th November 2019 / p200_d / 83078

search tips advanced search
site search by freefind

web counter