Pubs & inns

F



A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z


Falcon, SalterhebbleRef 17-517
Salterhebble Hill.

It was a Whitaker pub [1905].

It was converted into a funeral parlour [2010] and then a private dwelling.

See Falcon Laundry Company Limited


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Feathers, HalifaxRef 17-535
Popular – and current – name for the Prince of Wales Feathers, King Cross

Fielden Temperance Hotel & Coffee Tavern, TodmordenRef 17-1088
Fielden Square / Pavement. Aka The New Coffee Tavern. The temperance hostelry opened on 30th December 1880 by the Bishop of Manchester. It was built by John Fielden for his second wife, Ellen, who was a supporter of the Temperance movement. The building cost £4,000. It was designed by John Gibson / Jesse Horsfall.

In 1884, the Conservative Association rented a part of the building, and later bought the whole building.

On 7th March 1913, it closed as a public catering establishment and was bought by the Conservative Club


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Flashman's, HalifaxRef 17-977
Occupied the former Borough Club, Halifax on Harrison Road.

It became Bar Eleven, Halifax

Fleece, EllandRef 17-F49
Westgate / Jepson Lane.

Great House Farm was originally a U-plan hall-and-cross-wing hearth-passage farmhouse built around 1610. There is a large barn at the rear.

In 1???, it became The Fleece Inn. There was a bowling green at the pub.

In August 1878, Mr Rhodes applied that the licence of the Old Fleece, Elland be transferred to Mr Thwaite of the Old Fleece, Greetland,

Joachim von Ribbentrop, Hitler's Ambassador to Britain, stayed at the inn when he was working as a travelling salesman selling wine and champagne.

There is a legend that a mark on the stairs is the indelible bloodstained handprint of a man called Leatherty Coit who was killed in a fight at the pub in 1700s. The stairs were destroyed in a fire in 197?.

There are said to be several other poltergeists and ghosts, including the grey lady, and the ghost of a pregnant 20-year-old girl who was murdered with an axe.

In 1997, the name was changed to the Great House.

It later reverted to the Fleece Inn.

This is discussed in the books Halifax Pubs and Our Home & Country.

See Haunted Calderdale


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Fleece, GreetlandRef 17-1105
Rochdale Road / Mount Pleasant.

Aka the Golden Fleece.

In August 1878, Mr Rhodes made an application that the licence of the Old Fleece, Elland be transferred to Mr Thwaite of the Old Fleece, Greetland.

This is discussed in the book Halifax Pubs.

It closed in 200?.

It is now a fitness centre


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Fleece, HalifaxRef 17-630
2 Pellon Lane


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Fleece, HalifaxRef 17-74
2 Gibbet Street / Dungeon Street.

Opened in 1823. In August 1868, under the terms of the Halifax Improvements Acts, the pub applied for, but was refused, a music and dancing licence.

The pub closed on 19th November 1967.

See Birch Square, Halifax


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1822: Joseph Taylor
  • 1834: William Waddington
  • 1837: William Waddington
  • 1845: Joseph Lord
  • 1850: William Mallinson
  • 1851: William Mallinson
  • 1864: John Warden
  • 1877: Charles Sutcliffe
  • 1881: Thomas Pollard
  • 1887: John Hoyle
  • 1891: Isaac Tillotson
  • 1894: Isaac Tillotson
  • 1895: Isaac Tillotson
  • 1905: Jonas Alfred Keighley
  • 1906: Jonas Alfred Keighley
  • 1906: Caroline Keighley
  • 1907: Caroline Keighley
  • 1907: John Ashworth
  • 1908: John Ashworth
  • 1908: Joe Copley
  • 1917: Joe Copley
  • 1926: Joe Copley
  • 1926: Robert Mason
  • 1929: Robert Mason
  • 1929: John Kay
  • 1930: John Kay
  • 1930: Harry Swaine
  • 1936: Harry Swaine
  • 1936: Horace Hanson
  • 1940: Horace Hanson
  • 1940: Jonathan Henry Whitworth
  • 1941: Jonathan Henry Whitworth
  • 1941: Charles Ingham
  • 1950: Charles Ingham
  • 1950: Ronald Benn
  • 1957: Ronald Benn
  • 1957: Norman Hodgson
  • 1958: Norman Hodgson
  • 1958: John Robert Carter
  • 1959: John Robert Carter
  • 1959: Allan Howarth
  • 1962: Allan Howarth
  • 1962: George Arthur Connolly
  • 1964: George Arthur Connolly
  • 1964: Fred Thoseby

 

Fleece, OvendenRef 17-986


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1845: Elkanah Turner
  • 1853: Henry G. Spencer

 

Fleece, RastrickRef 17-1145


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1829: Joseph Eastwood
  • 1830: John Eastwood

 

Fleece, RippondenRef 17-72
/ Barkisland. Ripponden Bank. Dated IDM 1737.

This was once frequented by thieves and highwaymen.

Scenes in Phyllis Bentley's story The Adventures of Tom Leigh are set here.

This is discussed in the book Halifax Pubs


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Fleece, StainlandRef 17-798
Beestonley Lane.

Opened as a Brear & Brown pub [1896].

The pub closed in 1919. It is now a private house at The Brow


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Flour Society Inn, HalifaxRef 17-1296
Causeway. When the Halifax Infirmary & Dispensary moved to Harrison Road [1830s], the building was used as a barracks for a time before becoming the Barrack Tavern and the Flour Society Inn

Flying Dutchman, BoothtownRef 17-668
10 Boothtown Road / Woodlands Road.

It was a Brear & Brown pub [1896], then Webster's [1933].

This is discussed in the book Halifax Pubs Volume Two.

See Flying Dutchman Stables


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1860: George Wood
  • 1887: George Wood
  • 1894: George Wood
  • 1894: Arthur Wood
  • 1901: John S. Robinson
  • 1905: Edwin Egbert Howarth
  • 1910: Edwin Egbert Howarth
  • 1910: John Hocknell
  • 1911: John Hocknell
  • 1911: Percy Stanley Green
  • 1917: Percy Stanley Green
  • 1925: Percy Stanley Green
  • 1925: James Rennard Poole
  • 1930: James Rennard Poole
  • 1930: Walter Simpson
  • 1936: Walter Simpson
  • 1939: Walter Simpson
  • 1939: Elizabeth Simpson
  • 1945: Elizabeth Simpson
  • 1945: Arthur Barker
  • 1947: Arthur Barker
  • 1947: Ann Elizabeth Barker
  • 1950: Ann Elizabeth Barker
  • 1950: Harold Berry
  • 1953: Harold Berry
  • 1953: Frank Clegg
  • 1955: Frank Clegg
  • 1955: Jack Atkinson
  • 1962: Jack Atkinson
  • 1962: Jack Brown

 

Flying Horse, HalifaxRef 17-669
8 Shaw Syke.

This was originally a beer house.

On 18th April 1928, the licences were transferred from the T' Cat i' th' Window, Halifax and the Flying Horse, Halifax, to the new Shay Hotel


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Foggy's, BoothtownRef 17-594
Fern Street

Foggy's, HalifaxRef 17-1302
A later manifestation of the Victory Lounge, Halifax and Rosie O'Grady's

Folly, HalifaxRef 17-360
Pye Nest.

J. E. Wainhouse's home at West Air was converted into a pub, known successively as the Royal, Pye Nest, the Folly, and the Wainhouse Tavern [by 2014]

Football, BrighouseRef 17-402
35/37 Elland Road.

This was originally a beer house.

Opened in 1869.

The pub stood on the site of the present roundabout at the junction of Elland Road and Halifax Road.

The pub closed in 1926


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Footballers' Rest, BrighouseRef 17-1364
Elland Road.

On 25th August 1886, the Masons' Arms, Brighouse changed its name to Footballers' Rest.

The name was still used in 1915

Forest View, OvendenRef 17-717

This was originally a beer house.

Recorded in 1874, when it was noted that the licence had been taken away some time ago, and the property had become the club house for Ovenden Cricket Club.

See John Priestley

Foresters' Arms, EllandRef 17-1034
Formerly the Bird In Hand. It changed its name when it became a beer-house. The name later reverted to the Bird In Hand

Foresters' Arms, HalifaxRef 17-3128
8/23 Cheapside.

It was a Knowles pub, then a Ramsden pub.

The pub closed in 1921


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Foresters' Arms, LuddendenRef 17-404
Brook Street.

The pub closed in 1903

Foresters' Arms, NorlandRef 17-382
Spring Road / Kitson Lane.

This was originally a beer house.

In 1860, the house was described as

one in ill-repute in the neighbourhood

The pub closed in 1939.

It is now a private house.

This is discussed in the book Halifax Pubs


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Foresters' Rest, BoothtownRef 17-867
Or Foresters' Arms. 30 Haley Hill.

This was originally a beer house.

The pub closed in 1913


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1905: Mrs Emma Midgley

 

Foundry, HalifaxRef 17-670
2 Foundry Street, Northgate.

This was originally a beer house. In August 1868, under the terms of the Halifax Improvements Acts, the pub applied for, and was granted, a music and dancing licence.

The pub closed in 1905 following the Licensing Act [1904]


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Fountain, HalifaxRef 17-75
Fountain Street / Fountain Place.

A newspaper notice of 24th May 1845 announced

To Let. INN known as Sign of the Fountain in Fountain Street, Halifax, having a large Cattle Market close by, with Stables & Piggeries attached. To be entered immediately


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Fountain Head, PellonRef 17-1127
Moor End Road / Stretchgate Lane.

This was originally a beer house at the Webster family's home, Fountain Head Farm.

It was a Webster's pub [August 1899]..

This is discussed in the book Halifax Pubs Volume Two


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1861: Isaac Webster
  • 1871: Isaac Webster
  • 1872: David Barker
  • 1891: Fred Bedford
  • 1900: John Bairstow
  • 1900: Rachel Bairstow
  • 1905: Rachel Bairstow
  • 1905: William Drake
  • 1906: William Drake
  • 1906: Fred Hartley
  • 1910: Fred Hartley
  • 1910: Hermon Williamson
  • 1911: Hermon Williamson
  • 1910: Joseph Sharpe Newbould
  • 1910: Albert Foulds
  • 1914: Albert Foulds
  • 1914: Jemima Foulds
  • 1914: Thomas William Harkness
  • 1915: John Fuller
  • 1915: Richard Craven
  • 1915: Thomas William Harkness
  • 1917: George Albert Brearley
  • 1917: James Turner
  • 1917: Richard Craven
  • 1917: Mary Hannah Craven
  • 1919: George Albert Brearley
  • 1919: James Turner
  • 1925: James Turner
  • 1925: Robert Lloyd
  • 1925: James Turner
  • 1930: Charles Frederick Rowlands
  • 1930: Robert Lloyd
  • 1930: Florence Ida Lloyd
  • 1933: Charles Frederick Rowlands
  • 1933: James Feather
  • 1937: James Feather
  • 1937: Wilfred Denton
  • 1939: Wilfred Denton
  • 1939: James Victor Goodall
  • 1940: James Victor Goodall
  • 1940: David Booth
  • 1942: David Booth
  • 1942: John Mitchell
  • 1943: John Mitchell
  • 1943: Ronald Whiteley
  • 1946: Clifford Lewis Owen
  • 1946: Ronald Whiteley
  • 1951: Clifford Lewis Owen
  • 1951: Wyndham George Davis
  • 1952: Sarah Jane Lovell

 

Fountain, TodmordenRef 17-458
Meadow Bottoms / Victoria Road. Early 19th century pub.

The pub and 2 attached cottages are listed.

On 10th May 1881, they acquired a licence to sell spirits


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

The Four Sons, RastrickRef 17-307
Formerly the Clough House Inn, Rastrick

Fox & Goose, Hebden BridgeRef 17-477
5 Heptonstall Road.

Recorded in the 13th century and the 16th century when it was known as the Wynn Inn, and in the 17th century when it was known as Litt House.

The front was rebuilt by J. F. Walsh.

It was a Grove pub, then it was a Whitaker pub.

In September 2012, there were proposals by the Fox Friends to buy the pub and make it a co-operative pub.

In March 2014, it became the first co-operative pub in Yorkshire, after a share offer raise £130,000 to buy and refurbish the property.

This is discussed in the book Halifax Pubs Volume Two.

See Grove Brewery, Brearley and Windybank


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Fox & Grapes, EllandRef 17-741
New Street Opened in 18??

The pub closed in 19??

Fox & Hounds, TodmordenRef 17-480
10 Patmos, Burnley Road.

Built around 1840.

On 8th April 1913, a fire at the Inn caused around £450 damage.

It was a Ramsden pub, then it was a Whitaker pub [1937].

The pub was rebuilt by Walsh, Wilkinson & Coutts in 1939.

This is discussed in the book Halifax Pubs Volume Two

Fox, RippondenRef 17-343
Oldham Road.

Formerly the White Swan, Ripponden.

It is now [2010] a bar/restaurant.

This is discussed in the book Halifax Pubs Volume Two

Freemasons' Arms, BrighouseRef 17-228
23/103 Bradford Road. Opened in 1850.

In 1926, the pub's licence was reviewed on grounds of non-necessity, but it retained its licence – see Empress of India, Brighouse and Lower George, Rastrick.

The pub closed in 1947.

This is discussed in the book Halifax Pubs


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Freemasons' Arms, EastwoodRef 17-947
It stood near where Myrtle Grove Chapel / Eastwood Station was.

The actual area was then known as Bottoms, Stansfield, and the pub was known as Bottoms Beerhouse.

Around 1840, it was superseded by the Station House


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Freemasons' Arms, TodmordenRef 17-932
Blind Lane / Burnley Road, Stansfield.

It has been converted into flats


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1969: Victor James Doel

 

Frieldhurst Tavern, CornholmeRef 17-943


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Friendly, BlackshawheadRef 17-614
The name was changed to the Blue Ball

Friendly, BoothtownRef 17-481
2 New Town, Haley Hill. Opened in 1848.

Owned by Brear & Brown Ltd in 1905, acquired by Richard Whitaker & Sons in 1916.

The pub closed in 1930 and was demolished as Boothtown Road was being widened. It was rebuilt next to the original site by Walsh & Maddock.

This is discussed in the book Halifax Pubs Volume Two


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Friendly, Catherine SlackRef 17-78
Opened in 1816.

In 1894, the owner was Mr Eastwood, the licensee was Joseph Ambler, and the pub was leased to the Crown Brewery

The pub closed in 1926


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Friendly, CottonstonesRef 17-76
Recorded in the early 19th century.

It was popular with Lilywhite's workers at the nearby Lumb Mill. The mill burned down on 15th January 1931.

The pub closed in 1936.

It is now known as Friendly Inn Farm.

This is discussed in the book Halifax Pubs Volume Two


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Friendly Inn, FixbyRef 17-1350
Kew Hill, Lindley Moor, Fixby.

All the buildings – including a Methodist Chapel – were demolished to make way for the M62


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Friendly Inn, HalifaxRef 17-1136
25 Church Street.

This was originally a beer house.

Owned by Ramsden's.

The Station Hotel, Halifax is at Number 23 Church Street


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Friendly, OvendenRef 17-77
39 Ovenden Road.

Aka Friendly Fold

It was a Ramsden pub.

See Friendly Fold, Ovenden


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1822: Grace Swaine
  • 1834: Jonathan Fearnley – who married Grace [d 1833]
  • 1845: John Fearnley
  • 1851: Joseph Oates
  • 1853: John Firth
  • 1861: Mrs Mary Firth
  • 1864: Mary Firth
  • 1874: William Tidswell
  • 1875: William Tidswell
  • 1881: Samuel Smith – [aged 66]
  • 1887: John Fitton
  • 1891: William Moore
  • 1905: William Moore
  • 1911: William Moore
  • 1911: Sam Sternwhite
  • 1916: Sam Sternwhite
  • 1916: Phyllis Sternwhite
  • 1917: Mrs P. Sternwhite
  • 1917: Phyllis Sternwhite
  • 1917: Sam Mansley
  • 1921: Sam Mansley
  • 1921: John Fuller
  • 1924: John Fuller
  • 1924: Alfred Milnes
  • 1926: Alfred Milnes
  • 1926: Fred Mitchell
  • 1930: Fred Mitchell
  • 1930: Norman Heron
  • 1933: Norman Heron
  • 1933: John Leach
  • 1935: John Leach
  • 1936: John Leach
  • 1935: Willie Appleyard
  • 1939: Willie Appleyard
  • 1939: Arthur Evans
  • 1946: Arthur Evans
  • 1946: Kaye Earnshaw
  • 1950: Kaye Earnshaw
  • 1950: Silvester Spark
  • 1955: Silvester Spark
  • 1955: Timothy Hamahan
  • 1958: Timothy Hamahan
  • 1958: Joseph Gaw

 

Friendly, TodmordenRef 17-946
60 Lydgate, Stansfield


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Friendly, TriangleRef 17-1162


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1905: Ernest Wilde

 

Friendly, WarleyRef 17-1052
Burnley Road.

Built by John Turner.

Stood next to the Friendly Toll House

It was subsequently

  • A deli / Café bar called Friendly [2011]
  • A Café / diner called Sarina's [2015]

This is discussed in the book Halifax Pubs


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 


A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z


© Malcolm Bull 2019
Revised 11:56 /14th August 2019 / p200_f / 74696

search tips advanced search
site search by freefind

web counter