Pubs & inns

G



A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z


Gaol Inn, HalifaxRef 17-1271
A popular name for the Duke of Leeds' Arms because, from 1662, the debtors' jail was next to the pub, and the landlord was also the gaoler

Garden Plough Beerhouse, EllandRef 17-1318


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Gardeners' Arms, EllandRef 17-1031
New Street Opened in 18??

The pub closed in 19??

Gardeners' Arms, StainlandRef 17-671
High Street. The pub closed in 19??. It is now a private house


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Gardeners', IllingworthRef 17-79


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1845: Ellis Hodgson

 

Garibaldi Tavern, Stone ChairRef 17-679
Opened in 1868.

It was a Fielding pub

The pub closed in 1913

Garrick's Head, HalifaxRef 17-1394
Cow Green.

Recorded in the 1871 census, when Joshua Wilson was licensee and the census showed it as between Copper Street and Hanson's Passage.


Question: Does anyone know anything more about the Pub?

 


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Gas House Inn, HalifaxRef 17-1250
Bank Bottom. This is one of the beerhouses at Bank Bottom, Halifax


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1871: Joseph Jubb

 

Gatsby Wine Bar, EllandRef 17-1384
Northgate.

When the former Elland branch of the Halifax & Huddersfield Union Banking Company moved to Britannia House in 1895, the building became successively Lloyds Bank, the Caddyshack bar and restaurant and the Gatsby Wine Bar [2013]

General Havelock, HalifaxRef 17-1324
Recorded in 1873, when it was a Stocks pub

General Rawdon, LuddendenfootRef 17-672
Burnley Road.

It was built to replace the Red Lion, Luddendenfoot which had been demolished in 1879.

It was named for Major General E. A. G Rawdon / General Rawdon.

An advertisement for the business in 1888 included the verse

The "GENERAL'S" a very particular Inn,
Whatever is wanted – enquire within,
And, if it be not very much out of the way,
You'll be certain to get it, at moderate pay.

The "GENERAL'S" a general who cares for his men,
And treats 'em so, that they'll look at him again;
This you may be sure, is the very best way,
To get them to visit him day after day

The Luddendenfoot Local Board met here.

It is now the Coach & Horses.

This is discussed in the book Halifax Pubs.

See Grove Brewery, Brearley


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

George & Dragon, EllandRef 17-80
Or St George & the Dragon.

Castlegate, Huddersfield Road

Built by Thomas Casson on land known as Sheep Croft.

The licence was transferred here from the Bird in Hand.

The pub was owned by Joseph Carter who sold it to Whitaker's in 1896.

Later, the pub was known as the Old Bailey.

It was up for sale [2011].

This is discussed in the book Halifax Pubs Volume Two


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1841: Thomas Casson
  • 1845: Thomas Casson
  • 1851: William Fisher
  • 1864: William Fisher
  • 1871: Brearley Hawkyard
  • 1881: Brearley Hawkyard
  • 1883: Samuel Gledhill
  • 1887: Samuel Gledhill
  • 1891: Walter Sutcliffe
  • 1894: David Hoyle
  • 1899: David Hoyle
  • 1899: Mrs Sarah Ann Hoyle
  • 1902: Mrs Sarah Ann Hoyle
  • 1902: Eli Mothersgill
  • 1903: Eli Mothersgill
  • 1903: Mitchell Brook
  • 1906: Mitchell Brook
  • 1906: George Gregory
  • 1909: George Gregory
  • 1909: Fred Hammond
  • 1915: Fred Hammond
  • 1915: Charles Gledhill
  • 1927: Charles Gledhill
  • 1927: William Charles Bailey
  • 1928: William Charles Bailey
  • 1928: Edwin Bottomley
  • 1936: Edwin Bottomley
  • 1936: Edgar Leech
  • 1941: Edgar Leech
  • 1941: William Canwood
  • 1953: William Canwood
  • 1953: Jack Dyson
  • 1955: Jack Dyson
  • 1955: Hubert Bairstow
  • 1956: Hubert Bairstow
  • 1956: George Edward Horton
  • 1959: George Edward Horton
  • 1959: Ronald Stewart
  • 1961: Ronald Stewart
  • 1961: Hartley Melvin Raistrick

 

George, BrighouseRef 17-G154
Stands on the corner of the junction of Bradford Road and Commercial Street.

Built in 1815 by Dr Day.

There was a brewery behind the pub. In 1890, buildings were added at the rear.

It was used as the Coroner's Court and also by Brighouse Cycling Club and Brighouse Football Club.

It had its own brewery

In 1904, the new tram terminus for the service from Halifax – Route Number 3 – was here.

On 5th April 1933, a test case in the High Court was brought by the Performing Rights Society against the Hotel. The hotel was banned from

allowing the public performance (by radio) of any musical work

This is discussed in the book Halifax Pubs


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

George III, QueensburyRef 17-231
Chapel Street, Queensbury


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1917: Irving Cockroft

 

George IV, HalifaxRef 17-800
8 Woolshops. Opened in 1830.

The pub closed in 1909 following the Licensing Act [1904]


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1829: James Hiley

 

George, Mill BankRef 17-1287
42 Lower Mill Bank Road.

This and Minstrel Cottage were probably a single mid 18th century house

See Joseph Carter

George, RastrickRef 17-1013
The records mention several pubs with this name – the Upper George, Rastrick [aka The George] and the Lower George, Rastrick

George, RastrickRef 17-82

George, Rochdale RoadRef 17-873

Gibbet Tavern, HalifaxRef 17-882
28 Gibbet Street.

This was originally a beer house.

The pub closed in 1909 following the Licensing Act [1904]

It was a Webster's pub.

The pub closed in 1909


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1881: Samuel Longbottom
  • 1905: Dyson Jackson
  • 1905: Mrs Mary Ann Jackson
  • 1907: Mrs Mary Ann Jackson
  • 1907: Ben Aspinall
  • 1909: Ben Aspinall

 

Gibson's, HalifaxRef 17-1337
Haley Hill.

Recorded in 1868.

In August 1868, under the terms of the Halifax Improvements Acts, Gibson's (Haley Hill) applied for, but was refused, a music and dancing licence

Glen View, TodmordenRef 17-951
Burnley Road, Portsmouth


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Globe, HalifaxRef 17-83
7 Cow Green / 6 / 44 Silver Street. Opened in 1788.

It was demolished in 1878-1879. The Halifax Equitable Benefit Building Society Offices were built on the site

This is discussed in the books the collection of Prints by J. R. Smith and Halifax Pubs


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Globe Hotel, HalifaxRef 17-G134
3 North Bridge Street / Northgate.

This was originally a beer house.

Opened in 1897.

It was a Brear & Brown pub. In 1916, it was bought by Whitaker's.

The pub was used by artistes appearing at the Grand Theatre which stood opposite the pub. Trade was affected by the theatre's closing in 1956.

The pub closed in April 1958.

It was demolished in 19?? for the redevelopment of Northgate.

The Hotel is discussed in the book Halifax Pubs Volume Two


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Globe, RastrickRef 17-161
66/68 Rastrick Common. The building was originally 3 houses.

The pub is said to be haunted by poltergeist activity and the ghost of Albert Marshall who hanged himself


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Globe, StainlandRef 17-1138
Outlane


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Globe Vaults, HalifaxRef 17-803
Copper Street. Opened in 1838.

The pub closed in 1920

Golden Ball, HalifaxRef 17-84
6 Jemmy Lane, Bowling Dyke, North Bridge

See Blue Ball


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1837: George Greenwood
  • 1845: George Greenwood

 

Golden Balls, CliftonRef 17-1048
An Inn is recorded near the Armytage Arms. Opened in 1???. It is said that 3 golden balls hung as a sign outside the Inn.

The pub closed in 19??

Golden Eagle, HalifaxRef 17-1173
6 Woolshops.

On December 19th 1852, Bell's London Life & Sporting Chronicle announced a knur & spell match with stakes to be sent to the Golden Eagle.

On 8th January 1854, Henry Greenwood of Northowram challenged John Brown of Ovenden and Jubel Settle of Brighouse to a pigeon-shooting match on Skircoat Moor. Stakes were to be given at the Golden Eagle


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Golden Fleece, BlackleyRef 17-1041
Or The Fleece Inn.

Recorded in the 16th century, when it was a farm.

It is the oldest building in the village.

In 1898, a one-roomed cottage was incorporated into the pub.

It was an Ainley pub.

In 1957, Webster's acquired the brewery and the pub.

This is discussed in the book Halifax Pubs


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Golden Fleece, BoothtownRef 17-877
14 Haley Hill.

This was originally a beer house.

The pub closed in 1908 following the Licensing Act [1904] It was a Stocks pub.

The pub closed in 1908


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1897: Robert W. Garside
  • 1901: James S. Milner
  • 1905: Matthew William Ward
  • 1906: Matthew William Ward
  • 1906: James William Wilson
  • 1907: James William Wilson
  • 1907: Frederick Arthur Scriver
  • 1908: Frederick Arthur Scriver

 

Golden Fleece, BradshawRef 17-71
It was owned by Daniel Fielding's, and passed to Samuel Webster's in June 1961


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Golden Fleece, EllandRef 17-536

See Fleece, Elland

Golden Fleece, GreetlandRef 17-1195

See Fleece, Greetland

Golden Fleece, SowerbyRef 17-411
Originally, this was Quickstavers. It was a pub until 1822.

The pub was said to have had an illicit whisky still.

In the early 19th century, Titus Spencer lived here

Golden Lion, HalifaxRef 17-87
Aka Ye Golden Lion. 20-22 / 16 Cheapside. The building dates possibly to the 17th century. The pub has been there since the 18th century.

In 1981, it became The Brass Cat.

This is discussed in the book Halifax Pubs Volume Two


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Golden Lion, Highroad WellRef 17-86
Warley Road / 515 Gibbet Street / 515 Highroad Well Lane. Opened in 1834.

The pub closed in 1887. It was demolished in 1901.

A new pub with the same name was built on almost the same site [1902].

This is discussed in the books Halifax Pubs and Halifax Pubs Volume Two


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1837: Joseph Gledhill
  • 1845: Samuel Heavysedge
  • 1850: William Gledhill
  • 1864: James Pickles
  • 1871: Elizabeth Pickles – [aged 69]
  • 1874: Elizabeth Pickles
  • 1881: Wilson Gaukroger – [aged 36]
  • 1887: Richard Mullinson
  • 1891: James Horsfall – [aged 31]
  • 1894: James Horsfall
  • 1905: Fred Walton
  • 1908: Fred Walton
  • 1917: Fred Horsfall
  • 1936: Edward Henry Hamer

 

Golden Lion, LuddendenfootRef 17-1090


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1835: Mr Senior

 

Golden Lion, RastrickRef 17-1146


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1829: Abraham Horsfall

 

Golden Lion, RippondenRef 17-88
Halifax Road.

Built in 1754.

It was originally Spout Farm.

Owned by Sam Hill.

Jeremiah Normanton owned the pub [1914].

Normanton sold the pub to Ainley brewers of Huddersfield.

From 1931, the pub was owned by Whitaker's.

It became The Milestone.

This is discussed in the books Halifax Pubs and Our Home & Country.

See Ripponden Cattle Market, Ripponden Post Office and Ripponden Reading Room


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Golden Lion, TodmordenRef 17-85
Fielden Square. It was a coaching inn, built around 1770, with later additions.

The Todmorden Book Club met here.

Todmorden's first Post Office was here.

In the 19th century, much local public business – such as meetings and inquests - was conducted at the pub.

David Cawthorne and John Crossley were amongst those who supported the Manchester-Halifax coach service for which the pub was a staging post [1760s].

The proposal to erect Stoodley Pike was first discussed here [1854].

The first meeting of the new company established to build Todmorden Town Hall was held here [1860].

The property was badly damaged by flooding in Summer 2012. It remained closed until major refurbishment was carried out in 2013.

This is discussed in the book Halifax Pubs Volume Two.

See Todmorden Football Club, Todmorden Book Club, Todmorden Prosecution Society and Todmorden Agricultural Society


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Golden Pheasant, HalifaxRef 17-674
1 Pellon Lane / Spring Hall Lane.

Originally called the Pheasant Inn, Halifax.

Recorded in the 16th century.

This was originally a beer house.

The pub was demolished when Pellon Lane was redeveloped in the 1930s.

It was a Truman pub [1930s].

A new building, designed by Watkins & Maddox, was built. It opened on 6th July 1932.

This is discussed in the book Halifax Pubs Volume Two The pub was owned by Arthur Donald Oates, and was sold to Trueman, Hanbury & Burton after his death


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Golden Plough, EllandRef 17-389
Elland Lane / Quebec Street.

The pub was owned by Halifax Brewing Company [1903].

The pub closed in 1907 following the Licensing Act [1904].

It is mentioned again in 1924


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Golden Plough, HalifaxRef 17-89
23 /24 Cow Green / 32 Silver Street. Opened in 1822.

It was a Knowles pub.

In August 1868, under the terms of the Halifax Improvements Acts, the pub applied for, and was granted, a music and dancing licence.

The pub closed in 1898.

This is discussed in the book Halifax Pubs


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Goose at the ArcadeRef 17-1354
A new pub created in 19?? out of the shops at the top of Arcade Royale, Halifax.

Around the end of 2012 the pub was renamed The Duke of Wellington

Goose, Denholme CuttingRef 17-675

Goose Nest, Luddenden DeanRef 17-801
Opened on 1885.

The pub closed in 1905 following the Licensing Act [1904]

Goose, OgdenRef 17-1128
Keighley Road / Causeway Foot.

It was a Whitaker pub [1908].

Now the Windmill Court Country House Hotel


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1905: Arthur Crossley
  • 1908: Arthur Crossley
  • 1908: Robert Turner
  • 1911: Robert Turner
  • 1911: Fred Brown
  • 1915: Fred Brown
  • 1915: John Clayton
  • 1917: John Clayton
  • 1917: Fred Brown
  • 1937: Fred Brown
  • 1937: Aquilla Rushton
  • 1945: Aquilla Rushton
  • 1945: Harold Wilson
  • 1949: Harold Wilson
  • 1949: George Allan Margerrison
  • 1955: George Allan Margerrison
  • 1955: James Malcolm Cowell
  • 1960: James Malcolm Cowell
  • 1960: Hilda Lee

 

Granby Beerhouse, BrighouseRef 17-1316
Mill Lane.

In 1867, landlord Patrick Moran was fined 15/- for harbouring improper characters.

In Recorded on 6th March 1869, Sergeant Beevers was attacked by a group of disorderly Irishmen at the Granby


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Granby Hotel, HalifaxRef 17-676
300 Gibbet Street

It was a Ramsden pub [1904].


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1881: William Fox
  • 1887: William Fox
  • 1891: William Fox
  • 1894: Peter Cropper
  • 1901: Peter Cropper
  • 1905: Frank Crossley
  • 1917: Frank Crossley
  • 1921: Frank Crossley
  • 1921: Sam Mansley
  • 1925: Sam Mansley
  • 1925: Alfred Jennings
  • 1927: Alfred Jennings
  • 1927: Leah Jennings
  • 1929: Leah Jennings
  • 1929: Edwin Bond Jennings
  • 1936: Edwin Bond Jennings

 

Granby, LuddendenRef 17-678
High Street.

The inn was owned by George Bedford Whitaker of the Grove Brewery, Brearley until 1905 when it passed to Whitaker's.

The pub closed in 1933, after the death of Lizzie, the wife of the last landlord Edmund White.

It is now a private house


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Granby, QueensheadRef 17-90
In 1895, the inn was owned by John Foster & Sons,

The inn was acquired by Stocks around 1905


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Grand Hotel, HalifaxRef 17-537
Wheatley Lane, Lee Mount

Grand Junction Hotel, HalifaxRef 17-G136
Swine Market / 4 Gibbet Street.

The new name for the New Brown Cow, Halifax when it was sold at auction and re-opened in 1880.

The pub/hotel was used as a meeting place for local architects and builders before the Halifax Buildings Trades Exchange was established.

The black building was a familiar landmark.

It was a Ramsden pub.

The pub closed on 28th January 1968.

It was demolished around 1971 for redevelopment of Broad Street.

The Hotel is discussed in the book Halifax Pubs Volume Two


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1874: George Greenwood
  • 1887: Thomas Whitty
  • 189?: David Nicholl
  • 1894: Thomas Montgomery
  • 1896: Thomas Montgomery
  • 1897: James Frederick Holmes
  • 1907: James Frederick Holmes
  • 1907: Wright Calverley
  • 1910: Wright Calverley
  • 1910: James Frederick Holmes
  • 1910: James Frederick Holmes
  • 1910: Mrs Lavinia Holmes
  • 1911: Mrs Lavinia Holmes
  • 1911: Henry Sutcliffe
  • 1936: Henry Sutcliffe
  • 1936: Charles Joseph Mander
  • 1937: Charles Joseph Mander
  • 1937: Tom Atkinson
  • 1940: Tom Atkinson
  • 1940: Adam Grosart Meek
  • 1940: Adam Grosart Meek
  • 1940: Bertrum Frederick Fussell
  • 1942: Bertrum Frederick Fussell
  • 1942: Robert Harold Wilkinson
  • 1944: Robert Harold Wilkinson
  • 1944: Stanley Arthur Belcher
  • 1951: Stanley Arthur Belcher
  • 1951: Leslie Ben Olney
  • 1953: Leslie Ben Olney
  • 1953: James Winn Kershaw
  • 1964: James Winn Kershaw
  • 1964: Trevor Green
  • 1968: Trevor Green

 

Grand View, Lee MountRef 17-677
108 Lee Mount Road / Wheatley Lane / Wheatley Road.

In 1922, the Grand View, Lee Mount and the Grand View, Wheatley Lane are listed as 2 separate hostelries.

It was a Webster's pub [1877].

Closed in ????.

This is discussed in the book Halifax Pubs Volume Two


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Grapes, TodmordenRef 17-59
9 Rochdale Road / Church Street. Mentioned in 1769.

The pub closed in the 1960s.

It was demolished in 1969 when the road was redeveloped


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Gray Ox, HartsheadRef 17-G107
Or Grey Ox.

One of the oldest inns in the district.

See Hartshead Band


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1894: Mrs Sarah Ann Flint
  • 1914: Thornton Lister Fielding
  • 1914: Alfred Naylor

 

Great House, EllandRef 17-1132
Formerly Great House Farm and The Fleece

Great Northern Hotel, HalifaxRef 17-615
Opened in 1903.

This was originally a beer house.

The hotel stood at the junction of North Bridge and Range Bank. Named for the Great Northern Railway which served the nearby North Bridge Railway Station.

The pub transferred from Brear & Brown to Richard Whitaker [1917].

The pub closed in 1968 and was demolished for the Burdock Way development.

The Hotel is discussed in the books Halifax Pubs and Halifax Pubs Volume Two


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1897: Joseph Fleming
  • 1905: Frederick Bancroft
  • 1906: Frederick Bancroft
  • 1906: Mary Ann Mitchell
  • 1907: Mary Ann Mitchell
  • 1907: Tom Clark
  • 1909: Tom Clark
  • 1909: Joseph Barker
  • 1911: Joseph Barker
  • 1917: Joseph Barker
  • 1917: Joe Mortimer
  • 1929: Joe Mortimer
  • 1929: James Lynch
  • 1936: James Lynch
  • 1940: James Lynch
  • 1940: Jack Walker
  • 1942: Jack Walker
  • 1942: Esther Walker
  • 1945: Esther Walker
  • 1945: Jack Walker
  • 1954: Jack Walker
  • 1954: Charles William Walterson
  • 1958: Charles William Walterson
  • 1958: James Derek Scully
  • 1959: James Derek Scully
  • 1959: Samuel Arthur Simpson

 

Green Dragon, EllandRef 17-960


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1822: James Sheard

 

Green Hill Tavern, HalifaxRef 17-680
100 Pellon Lane.

This was originally a beer house.

Opened in 1877.

It was a Whitaker pub.

The pub closed in 1967


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1881: Edwin Wild
  • 1891: (possibly) Eli Balmforth
  • 1905: Herbert Hirst
  • 1905: Herbert Hirst
  • 1907: Herbert Hirst
  • 1907: Joseph Dewhirst
  • 1911: Joseph Dewhirst
  • 1913: Joseph Dewhirst
  • 1913: Harry Knowles
  • 1931: Harry Knowles
  • 1931: Mrs Annie Rebecca Knowles
  • 1932: Mrs Annie Rebecca Knowles
  • 1932: John Edgar Dyson
  • 1936: John Edgar Dyson
  • 1943: John Edgar Dyson
  • 1943: Thomas Edwards
  • 1949: Thomas Edwards
  • 1949: Thomas Vivian Thorpe
  • 1950: Thomas Vivian Thorpe
  • 1950: George Bedford
  • 1951: George Bedford
  • 1951: George Rogus Taylor
  • 1952: George Rogus Taylor
  • 1952: Wilfred Bartham
  • 1853: Wilfred Bartham
  • 1953: George Kilburn

 

Green Man, Sowerby BridgeRef 17-440


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Green Tree, HalifaxRef 17-1278

This was originally a beer house.

Recorded in 1869 in connection with the poisoning of James Halstead

Greenwood, Hebden BridgeRef 17-514
Established in 1980 in what was originally Hebden Bridge Liberal Club.

It was for sale in 2004.

It became the B@R Place

Grey Horse, HolmfieldRef 17-681
Perseverance Road, Soil Hill.

This was originally a beer house.

Opened in 1905.

It was a Stocks pub, then it was a Webster's pub.

The pub closed on 28th January 1941.

This is discussed in the book Halifax Pubs Volume Two


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1905: Arthur Knowles
  • 1906: Arthur Knowles
  • 1906: Irvine Stocks
  • 1913: Irvine Stocks
  • 1913: John Wood
  • 1916: John Wood
  • 1916: Billy Caldwell
  • 1917: Billy Caldwell
  • 1917: Fred Potter
  • 1919: Fred Potter
  • 1919: Arthur Woodhead
  • 1920: Arthur Woodhead
  • 1920: Arthur Nelson
  • 1921: Arthur Nelson
  • 1921: Willie Ingham
  • 1923: Willie Ingham
  • 1923: Wright Mann
  • 1926: Wright Mann
  • 1926: Robert Ashcroft
  • 1928: Robert Ashcroft
  • 1928: Sherman Drake
  • 1932: Sherman Drake
  • 1932: Charles Beagle Clarke
  • 1936: Charles Beagle Clarke
  • 1937: Charles Beagle Clarke
  • 1937: Joseph Turnbull
  • 1937: Joseph Turnbull
  • 1937: James Davis Vernon
  • 1938: James Davis Vernon
  • 1938: Mrs Olive Vernon
  • 1938: Mrs Olive Vernon
  • 1938: Joseph Monaghon
  • 1941: Joseph Monaghon

 

Grey Stones, MixendenRef 17-682
Wheatley Road / Crag Lane.

Samuel Varley is listed as a farmer at Grey Stones [1861] and as a beer retailer at Grey Stones [1871, 1881].

This was originally a beer house


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Greyhound, HalifaxRef 17-324
27 Southgate. Stood at the corner of Albion Street. It was demolished in 1892 when Halifax Borough Market was built


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1864: James Cheetham
  • 1871: Thomas Scarf – [aged 53]
  • 1881: Martin Bowling – [aged 41]
  • 1891: Edward Roberts – [aged 38]

 

Greyhound, RastrickRef 17-538
76 Crowtrees Lane / Oaks Green.

It was owned by brewers Joseph Shaw of Lindley [1877], then it was a Whitaker pub [1889].

It was closed [2019].

This is discussed in the book Halifax Pubs Volume Two


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Greyhound, TodmordenRef 17-500
188 Rochdale Road / Bridge End / Shade / Wadsworth Mill. Built in 1832 by Martin Mitchell.

The Ancient Order of Druids held their meetings here.

The pub closed in 1939


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Greystones, Page HillRef 17-799
Opened in 1903.

The pub closed in 1938

Griffin, BarkislandRef 17-91
Stainland Road.

Dated 1642.

The inn was owned by John Ward of Dean Brewery, Marsden. It was acquired by Burtonwood Brewery, Warrington [1940s].

The pub has 3 ghosts

  • An old man who sits by the fire in the tap room
  • An old lady dressed in white who walks around carrying a bunch of keys
  • A cat

This is discussed in the book Halifax Pubs


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Griffin, HalifaxRef 17-1133
Thornton Road.

This is discussed in the book Halifax Pubs Volume Two


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1894: Henry C. Garner

 

Griffin, HalifaxRef 17-93
10 / 21 George Street / Barum Top.

It was a Whitaker pub [from 1898].

See Ancient Order of Foresters and West End Glee Union


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Grinning Dog, TodmordenRef 17-998
A popular name for the 18th century White Lion, Bridge End. The name arose because the inn sign was considered to be a poor representation of a lion.

This became known as the Guerning Dog

Grove, BrearleyRef 17-3132
Burnley Road.

In the 1830s, the pub was built as a part of the Grove Brewery, and an archway is inscribed Grove Brewery.

In 1906, brewing was discontinued after the business – and around 13 of their houses – was taken over by Whitaker's. The property was sold.

The brewery was used by Harvey & Company.

The brew-house was used as a biscuit factory.


Question: Does anyone know who ran the biscuit factory?

 

The pub closed in 2008.

It was divided into 3 separate dwellings: Grove House, Grove Cottage, and Oakroyd.

This is discussed in the book Halifax Pubs Volume Two


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1891: William Greenwood – [aged 57] Beer Seller
  • 1905: James Moore
  • 1911: William Pickles
  • 19??: E. & N. Ackroyd
  • 1965: Albert Allcott

 

Grove, BrighouseRef 17-347
Brookfoot / Elland Road.

It was a part of the Freeman's estate.

A newspaper notice in March 1897 announced

Sale by Auction of the Beerhouse known as the Grove Inn, Brookfoot, in the occupation of Joseph Hey

The name was changed to Lakeside Lodge [late 1990s]


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Grove, RastrickRef 17-1011
39 Tofts Grove.

Opened in 18??

The pub closed in 2006. There are proposals to convert the pub into a private house


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Guerning Dog, TodmordenRef 17-997
Local pronunciation of Grinning Dog, the popular name for the White Lion, Bridge End.

See Guerning Dog Bridge, Todmorden


A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z


© Malcolm Bull 2019
Revised 15:46 /20th July 2019 / p200_g / 116278

search tips advanced search
site search by freefind

web counter