Pubs & inns

J



A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z


Jack's House, Todmorden
Burnley Road.

Formerly Shoulder of Mutton and The House that Jack Built [from 1974]

Jackson's Houses, Sowerby Bridge
Bolton Brow. This was originally a beer house


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Jeremy's Restaurant, Brighouse
Brighouse Mill Lane

Jockey Tavern, Cornholme
Burnley Road


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1900: Daniel Sutcliffe

 

Joiners' Arms, Brighouse
Halifax Road, Hove Edge.

It was a Whitaker pub [1881].

The pub closed on 26th December 1932.

The building became Hove Edge Post Office.

See Fold End Estate


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Joiners' Arms, Halifax
2 Damask Street. This was originally a beer house. Opened in 1882.

The pub closed in 1967


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 19??: John Ogden Ellison
  • 1905: Walter Hirst
  • 1936: Walter Uttley

 

Joiners' Arms, Halifax
Green Lane


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Jolly Sailor, Elland
Aka Jolly Boatman. Briggate.

The pub closed in 19??


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1822: Isaac Maude
  • 1829: Sarah Underwood

 

Jolly Sailor, Sowerby Bridge
St Anne's Square / Cock Hill / Back Wharf Street.

Late 18th century building.

Planning applications show that this was a Benjamin Jackson pub [February 1899]. By 1926, it was owned by Bentley & Shaw.

The pub closed in 1939.

It became known as Lock Hill House.

In 2004, permission was granted to convert the building into 6 flats. The proposals became an issue when the conversion was begun and then abandoned, to the annoyance of local property owners.

See Jolly Sailor Club, Sowerby Bridge


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Jubilee, Halifax
On 1st June 2012, the Portman & Pickles was renamed The Jubilee to commemorate the Golden Jubilee of Elizabeth II

Jubilee Hotel, Southowram
New Street. This was originally a beer house. It acquired a full licence in 1961.

After Queen Victoria's Golden Jubilee in 1887, the name of the Rock was changed to the Jubilee Hotel. Planning applications show that this was a Stocks pub [November 1903].

The pub closed in the early 1990s.

It is now a day nursery [2010].

This is discussed in the book Halifax Pubs Volume Two


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Junction, Bradshaw
6 Moor Bottom Road / 61 Holdsworth Road, Ovenden. This was originally a beer house.

It was a Whitaker pub.

In August 1874, Joseph Blackburn of the Junction Inn, Holdsworth, was granted a wine licence.

In 1937, the pub was only licensed to sell beer and wine. This is discussed in the book Halifax Pubs Volume Two


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Junction, Halifax
At the junction of 13 Charlestown Road / 2 Pearson Street. This was originally a beer house.

On 3rd March 1930, this, the Black Horse Inn, Woolshops, the Engineers Inn, Cross Hills, the Bishop Blaize Inn, Charlestown Road and the Victoria & Albert Inn, Haley Hill were referred for closure. The pub closed later in 1930


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Junction Hotel, Halifax
30/36/192 King Cross Road / Queens Road. This was originally a beer house.

This is discussed in the book Halifax Pubs


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Junction, Rastrick
Stands at the bottom of Ogden Lane at the junction of Bottom o' th' Town, Rastrick / Toothill Bank.

Rebuilt 1899.

Behind the pub, there was a deep band of sandstone about 65 ft thick. This was almost 100 ft below ground level. The shafts were around 12 ft in diameter. It was mined for use as flagstone and building materials by Southage's at the end of the 19th century, although it may have been mined earlier


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1861: John Charlesworth
  • 1881: James Charlesworth
  • 1894: Mrs Sarah Greenwood
  • 1901: Tom Thackeray
  • 1902: Thomas Whitaker
  • 1903: William Lund
  • 1906: Thomas Henry Hoyle
  • 1913: Percy Cockroft
  • 1914: Jim Mornington
  • 1923: Albert France
  • 1925: Elton Greenwood
  • 1928: John Bailey
  • 1929: Florence Bailey
  • 1935: William Clayton
  • 1949: Mr Goodwin
  • 1949: Albert Walker

 

Junction, Ripponden
1 Oldham Road.

Built in 1852 by John Garside as a temperance hotel.

Bare-knuckle fighting used to take place in the basement which was reached by steps at the side of the building.

It became a tapas bar El Gato Negro [200?], then The Last Post

This is discussed in the books Halifax Antiquarian Society Transactions and Halifax Pubs


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Junction, West Vale
Recorded in 1861, when it was listed next but one to the Shears, West Vale


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 


A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z



© Malcolm Bull 2017 / calderdale@aol.com
Revised 18:43 on 24th December 2017 / p200_j / 22