Pubs & inns

N



A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z


Nag's Head, Ainley TopRef 17-908
A coaching inn.

The inn was owned by Sir Percival Radcliffe 3rd Baronet of Rudding Hall.

In 1923, it was acquired by Sarah Clough.

In 1960, the inn was acquired by Mrs Laura Bates who then became landlady


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Nag's Head, HalifaxRef 17-130
68 King Cross Street.

Stood immediately below Hopwood Hall on the site of an earlier building called Hill Top House.

During repair work on a chimney in July 1867, an orange banner with a blue border was discovered concealed in a hole. This was dated 1688 and bore a picture of the Protestant King William III on horseback with the mottoes

Deliver from Church and State

and

To the glorious memory of 1688 and 1690

In the corners were smaller devices, and on each side were written the names of the places where the English were victorious, including the Boyne, Anglicum, Deny and Enniskillen.

The pub was rebuilt in 1845.

It was demolished in 1884.

This is discussed in the book Halifax Pubs


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Nag's Head, HalifaxRef 17-4400
Mytholme, Shibden.


Question: Is this the same place as the Lister's Arms and/or the Stag's Head, Shibden?

 


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Nag's Head, ShelfRef 17-1065
Carr House Road. The Inn was probably where the Revive Café now [2008] stands. It is known that there was an inn here on account of the beer casks in the cellar


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Navigation, GauxholmeRef 17-940
Built around 1769 by Robert Hardman, it was originally called the Hare & Hounds, Gauxholme.

In the mid-19th century, the landlord, Luke Dewhirst, gave an annual treat to

the aged men in Todmorden and neighbourhood

The building is now a private house


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Navigation, SalterhebbleRef 17-131
Waterside / Bottom of Salterhebble Hill.

This was originally a beer house.

It was demolished in 1901.

A petrol station now stands on the site.

This is discussed in the book Halifax Pubs


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1829: James Richardson
  • 1834: James Richardson
  • 1837: James Richardson
  • 1845: James Richardson
  • 1881: Harriet Cryer – [aged 41]
  • 1894: Joseph Stead
  • 1901: Fred Whitaker

 

Navigation, Sowerby BridgeRef 17-308
Chain Lane / Chapel Lane.

There was a mill here in 1300.

There was a house here in 1521.

In the 17th century, it was owned by the Waterhouse family.

The present building is early 17th century.

A fireplace is dated IMW 1722 for John and Mary Wainhouse.

In the late 18th century, it was converted into cottages for a time.

Planning applications show that this was a Halifax Brewery Company pub.

At one time, it was known as The Link because of a chain bar across the canal here.

It was a Ramsden pub [1903, 1944].

This is discussed in the book Halifax Pubs


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Nelson's Arms, HalifaxRef 17-1352
See Lord Nelson, Halifax

Admiral Nelson, HalifaxRef 17-775
See Lord Nelson, Halifax

Neptune, BrighouseRef 17-133
Brookfoot Hill. Opened in 1822.

It was a part of the Freeman's estate.

Planning applications show that this was a Ramsden pub [January 1904].

The pub closed on 30th December 1930.

The building stands at the junction of the first short section of the hill from Brookfoot.

The building was used as a mortuary for a time.

It is now private housing.

This is discussed in the book Halifax Pubs Volume Two


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Neptune, Hebden BridgeRef 17-132
Early 19th century pub at Hebble End Basin.

One of a number of pubs which provided facilities for the workers on the Rochdale Canal.

In the 19th century, the bargees working on the Rochdale Canal sang a song of which the first verse was


It's a long haul up from Brighouse and a longer one ahead.
We have to get our strength back and the horse has to be fed.
He just can't face the tunnel without a bite to eat.
So we'll tie up at the Neptune and we'll let him rest his feet

Planning applications show that this was a Whitaker pub [February 1923].

The pub closed in the 1970s. It is now 2 private dwellings: Numbers 1 & 2 Hebble End.

This is discussed in the book Halifax Pubs

See Female Sisterly Society and Neptune Bridge, Hebden Bridge


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Nest, EllandRef 17-699

New Bank Tavern, HalifaxRef 17-1261
56/58 New Bank. Recorded in 1868.

In August 1868, under the terms of the Halifax Improvements Acts, the pub applied for, and was granted, a music and dancing licence


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

New Coffee Tavern, TodmordenRef 17-1247
Aka the Fielden Temperance Hotel & Coffee Tavern

New Delight, BoothtownRef 17-700
Boothtown Road / Ploughcroft.

Originally it was a Stocks house and later transferred to Webster's


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1881: John Foster
  • 1891: William Spencer
  • 1897: (possibly) Phineas Cockroft
  • 1901: Arthur Varley
  • 1904: Arthur Varley
  • 1904: Gibson Walker
  • 1905: Gibson Walker
  • 1906: Gibson Walker
  • 1906: Arthur Waterhouse
  • 1910: Arthur Waterhouse
  • 1910: Fred Hartley
  • 1911: Fred Hartley
  • 1911: Joseph Taylor
  • 1912: Joseph Taylor
  • 1912: Frank Hudson
  • 1928: Frank Hudson
  • 1928: James John Foran
  • 1932: James John Foran
  • 1932: Mrs Rose Foran
  • 1932: Mrs Rose Foran
  • 1932: Arthur Belgrove Dunford
  • 1935: Arthur Belgrove Dunford
  • 1935: Joseph Edward Brearley
  • 1937: Joseph Edward Brearley
  • 1937: Charles Sheard
  • 1952: Charles Sheard
  • 1952: George William Gaukroger
  • 1953: George William Gaukroger
  • 1953: Arthur Whitehead
  • 1857: Arthur Whitehead
  • 1957: Ernest Blakey
  • 1958: Ernest Blakey
  • 1958: Frank Margison
  • 1964: Florence & Harry Atkinson

 

New Delight, ColdenRef 17-370
Jack Bridge, Burnley Road.

Formerly known as the Sportsman.

It is known locally as The Newdy

New Delight, TriangleRef 17-702
Mill Bank.

The pub closed in 1932 and was converted into 2 cottages by Websters.

The Greenwood family ran the pub for at least 72 years: 1851-1923


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

New Delight, WainstallsRef 17-701
Withens Road / Cold Edge Road / Warley.

Aka the Oddfellows Arms [1845, 1860].

In 1987, the name was changed to the Delvers.

This is discussed in the book Halifax Pubs Volume Two


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1845: John Barker – when it was listed as the Oddfellows Arms
  • 1851: John Barker
  • 1861: Sampson Sunderland – who was also a stone merchant
  • 1871: David Barker
  • 1874: John Wilson
  • 1875: John Wilson
  • 1881: Harry Skelton
  • 1887: John Shackleton
  • 1905: Arthur Howarth
  • 1905: Richard Hardacre
  • 1917: David Wade

 

New Dolphin, Ambler ThornRef 17-703

See Old Dolphin, Queensbury


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

New Dumb Mill, HipperholmeRef 17-135

On 13th February 1858, the Halifax Guardian announced


TO BE LET and may be entered upon immediately NEW DUMB MILL INN at Hipperholme situated about 3 minutes walk from the Railway Station, &c. There is a good supply of water and well adapted for brewing.

Apply: Jackson & Casson, Surveyors, 17 George Street, Halifax

 

The pub closed in 1946

See Dumb Mill, Hipperholme and Old Dumb Mill, Hipperholme


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1845: William Schofield
  • 1857: James Lister
  • 1858: Thomas Helliwell

 

New Inn, BoothtownRef 17-429
117 Boothtown Road.

Opened in 18??.

It was a Webster's pub [1877].

The pub closed in 2006.

In December 2007, a proposal was approved to convert the building into shops and flats. In May 2008, a proposal was made to convert it into 2 houses. It was converted into retail premises [November 2008].

This is discussed in the book Halifax Pubs Volume Two


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1834: Thomas Pulman
  • 1850: Sarah Wood
  • 1851: Sarah Wood
  • 1861: Abraham Mitchell
  • 1864: Samuel Holmes
  • 1874: John Brearley
  • 1881: Fred Tasker
  • 1887: William Henry Buckley
  • 1891: Samuel Buckley
  • 1891: Lewis Buckley
  • 1899: Lewis Buckley
  • 1904: Mrs Alice Buckley
  • 1914: Mrs Alice Buckley
  • 1914: Fred Walker Firth
  • 1917: Frederick Walker Firth
  • 1923: Frederick Walker Firth
  • 1923: Ralph Jordinson
  • 1924: Ralph Jordinson
  • 1924: William Boothroyd
  • 1925: William Boothroyd
  • 1925: John Leach
  • 1927: John Leach
  • 1927: Clement Scholefield
  • 1949: Clement Scholefield
  • 1949: Mrs Ada Ellen Scholefield

 

New Inn, BrighouseRef 17-349
137 Bradford Road / Thornhill Briggs.

This was one of the first inns to operate under the terms of the Beerhouse Act [1830].

The Brighouse Lark Singing Association held their meetings here.

The pub became the Beck, Brighouse [2013]


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

New Inn, Caddy FieldRef 17-875
9 Calder Street / Coal Street.

This was originally a beer house.

The pub closed in 1906 following the Licensing Act [1904]


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1905: James Scott

 

New Inn, EllandRef 17-136
Stood on the left as you ascend Briggate from Elland Bridge.

Opened in 1834.

Owners included

The pub closed on 29th April 1957.

The pub has been converted into flats.

This is discussed in the book Halifax Pubs


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1829?: Thomas Casson
  • 1834: Thomas Chambers
  • 1841: Joseph Hanson
  • 1845: Elizabeth Hanson
  • 1851: Mrs Elizabeth Hanson
  • 1861: Mrs Mary Rookes
  • 1871: Thomas Tasker
  • 1874: John Beaumont
  • 1881: Joseph Stott
  • 1887: George Jackson
  • 1891: James Robinson Exley
  • 1894: James Greenwood
  • 1895: William Mortimer
  • 1897: William Mortimer
  • 1897: Jonas Clegg
  • 1899: Jonas Clegg
  • 1899: Abraham Lumb
  • 1903: Abraham Lumb
  • 1903: John Thomas Hall
  • 1905: Jonathan T. Hall
  • 1907: John Thomas Hall
  • 1907: Joseph Wood
  • 1912: Joseph Wood
  • 1912: Lewis Renshaw Greenwood
  • 1913: Lewis Renshaw Greenwood
  • 1913: Albert Driver Smith
  • 1914: Albert Driver Smith
  • 1914: John Hardy
  • 1915: John Hardy
  • 1915: Mrs Lavinia Hardy
  • 1917: Mrs Lavinia Hardy
  • 1917: Ernest Marsden
  • 1922: Ernest Marsden
  • 1922: Tom Mitchell
  • 1927: Tom Mitchell
  • 1927: Thomas Waite
  • 1931: Thomas Waite
  • 1931: Victor Ives Wood
  • 1932: Victor Ives Wood
  • 1932: Albert Stott
  • 1934: Albert Stott
  • 1934: Frank Greaves Robinson
  • 1936: Frank Greaves Robinson
  • 1936: Frederick Henry Wade
  • 1937: Frederick Henry Wade
  • 1937: James Haigh
  • 1938: James Haigh
  • 1938: William Dennis
  • 1939: William Dennis
  • 1939: Norman Beaumont Haigh
  • 1940: Norman Beaumont Haigh
  • 1940: Jesse Wildred Osborne
  • 1945: Jesse Wildred Osborne
  • 1945: Ernest Clegg
  • 1951: Ernest Clegg
  • 1951: Joseph G Bell
  • 1956: Joseph G Bell
  • 1956: Harold Fawcett
  • 1956: Harold Fawcett
  • 1956: Frederick Pearson
  • 1957: Frederick Pearson

 

New Inn, HalifaxRef 17-138
Waterhouse Street


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1834: Riley Kitson
  • 1837: Riley Kitson
  • 1845: Joseph Simpson
  • 1864: Michael John Holroyd

 

New Inn, HalifaxRef 17-387
Holdsworth Street, Lower Shaw Hill. In 1888, this and the Shears Inn, Paris Gates were sold by Clement Holdsworth.

The pub closed in 1908 following the Licensing Act [1904]


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

New Inn, HalifaxRef 17-704
17 Gibbet Street.

This was originally a beer house.

Opened in 1869.

The pub closed in 1946


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

New Inn, HalifaxRef 17-707
11 Lee Bridge.

This was originally a beer house.

Opened in 1872.

The pub closed in 1946


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

New Inn, HartsheadRef 17-1227


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1881: William Hutchinson

 

New Inn, HolmeRef 17-1270

Opened in the 1820s.

Stood near Holme Meadow, Todmorden.

It became the Hare & Hounds, Stansfield.

This is discussed in the book Halifax Pubs Volume Two

New Inn, Mount TaborRef 17-705
22 Heath Hill / Moor End Road.

It was a Spring Head Brewery pub. It is said that there was an underground passage leading to the Brewery.

This is discussed in the book Halifax Pubs


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

New Inn, OutlaneRef 17-163

New Inn, OvendenRef 17-137


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1845: John Aspinall
  • 1853: Mary Aspinall

 

New Inn, QueensburyRef 17-819
The pub closed in 1909 following the Licensing Act [1904]


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

New Inn, RippondenRef 17-455
Baitings / Rochdale Road. Built around 1750 for the turnpike – see Blue Ball, Soyland.

There is a sundial dated 1764 and an inscription:


   G
J F Ab hoc Momento pendet Æternitas Latitude – 53, 45 J764 Eternity hangs on this moment

In 2002, the pub closed and the building was converted back into private dwellings.

See Daniel Holroyd and George Kershaw


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1829: James Travis
  • 1905: Charles Wood
  • 1975: the Diffin family
  • 2000: Helen Diffin

 

New Inn, Skircoat GreenRef 17-706
6-8 Skircoat Green.

This was originally a beer house

In 1939, the licence was transferred here from the Murgatroyd's Arms, Luddenden and the name changed to the Murgatroyd Arms, Skircoat Green


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

New Inn, Sowerby BridgeRef 17-140
1 West Street.

Planning applications show that this was owned by Boardman's United Breweries of Bradford [October 1901].

In 19??, the name was changed to The Long Chimney.

This is discussed in the book Halifax Pubs Volume Two.

See New Inn Smoke Club, Sowerby Bridge


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

New Inn, SowoodRef 17-1166
New Hey Road.

The inn was owned by Thomas Sykes and passed to his wife Elizabeth. In 1913, it was sold to Bentley & Shaw and remained with the company until 1961 when it was acquired by Hammond's United Brewery


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

New Inn, SoylandRef 17-139
Blackstone Edge.

In 1839, a coach stopped here as it was carrying members of a gang of highway robbers – who had been arrested in Burnley – back to Halifax where they were charged with the assault on Robert Crossley & Thomas Cockcroft. Some of the gang escaped, but they were quickly recaptured.

The Inn had 13 rooms [1911].

It was converted into private dwellings in 2000

See Robert Crossley and New Inn Workmen's Hostel


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

New Inn, StainlandRef 17-547
Forest Hill Road


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

New Inn, TodmordenRef 17-1308
Holme. Opened in 1728

New Inn, TodmordenRef 17-321
Opened in 1728.

It was a farm owned by John and Tamar Fielden of Todmorden Hall. John gave the inn and farm to his nephew, Samuel Fielden of Bottomley. Samuel installed his son, Samuel, as tenant and sold the inn to John Greenwood of Langfield for the sum of £460 at the end of the 18th century.

The pub later became the White Hart


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1822: Jesse Horsfall

 

New Inn, TodmordenRef 17-740
Roomfield Lane, Langfield / Halifax Road.

Established as a beerhouse in the 1840s.

In 1961, it obtained a full licence. It was popular with the audiences at the Hippodrome which was situated across the way.

On Friday, 13th October 1972, the building collapsed and had to be demolished. A car park occupies the site


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

New Inn, WarleyRef 17-818
Opened in 1869

New North Bridge, HalifaxRef 17-820
The original name of the Pine Apple, Halifax.

See North Bridge Tavern, Halifax

New Pack Horse, CliftonRef 17-435
Highmoor Lane, Clifton. There were 2 such Inns: The Old Pack Horse, and The New Pack Horse. It is said that the New was older than the Old


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1834: George Schorah

 

New Queen's Head, NorthowramRef 17-1040


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1822: William Lassey

 

New Ring O' Bells, BoothtownRef 17-868
38 Haley Hill.

This was originally a beer house.

In August 1868, under the terms of the Halifax Improvements Acts, the pub applied for, and was granted, a music and dancing licence.

The pub closed in 1913.

It was a Stocks pub [until 1914]


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1864: Richard Booth
  • 1896: James Heap
  • 1897: Fred Royles
  • 1897: Dean Swift
  • 1905: Joe Ingham

 

New Road Hotel, BoothtownRef 17-1178
St Mark's Street.

This was originally a beer house


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1905: Mrs Janet Wilson

 

New Road Inn, SouthowramRef 17-407
Aka New Road Hotel [1891].

66 Blaithroyd Lane / Southowram Bank.

Opened in 1869.

The pub closed in 1949.

See Titus Lightowler


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1871: Joseph Lightowler
  • 1881: James Crabtree – [aged 36]
  • 1891: John W. Green – who also had a grocer's shop here
  • 1905: Mary Ann Fawcett
  • 1936: George H. Metcalf

 

New Road Tavern, HalifaxRef 17-708
15 St Mark Street / 25/26 New Road.

This was originally a beer house.

In August 1868, under the terms of the Halifax Improvements Acts, the pub applied for, and was granted, a music and dancing licence.

In 1891, it is listed as New Road Hotel, 15 St Mark Street, Northowram.

The pub closed in 1926


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

New Rock, BarkislandRef 17-1117
It is recorded as

It was a Halifax Brewery Company pub [1895].

Closed in 200?.

It has been converted into 2 dwellings


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

New Shop, SowerbyRef 17-1360


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1839: James Heaps

 

New Spitfire, RastrickRef 17-773
New Hey Road.

In late 2008, the Puff Inn, Rastrick became the New Spitfire

New Street Hotel, PellonRef 17-593
3 Sutcliffe Street.

It was a Webster's pub.

See Halifax Lark Singing Association


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1871: Frederick Hollas
  • 1881: Frederick Boocock
  • 1891: Samuel Magson
  • 1901: Samuel Magson
  • 1905: William Tomlinson
  • 1906: William Tomlinson
  • 1906: John Robert Lister
  • 1907: John Robert Lister
  • 1907: Joseph Brearley
  • 1911: Joseph Brearley
  • 1911: Abram Robinson
  • 1919: Abram Robinson
  • 1919: Ann Robinson
  • 1921: Ann Robinson
  • 1921: John Rushworth
  • 1923: John Rushworth
  • 1923: Alfred Milner
  • 1937: Alfred Milner
  • 1937: Albert Harry Greenwood
  • 1940: Albert Harry Greenwood
  • 1940: Arnold Philip Shackleton
  • 1951: Arnold Philip Shackleton
  • 1951: James Lynch
  • 1959: James Lynch
  • 1959: Joseph Johnson

 

New Talbot, HalifaxRef 17-3133
Woolshops. The licence from The Woolpack was transferred to this new pub which stood on the site of the former Talbot Inn.

The new building was designed by Jackson & Fox. It opened on 22nd October 1926.

The pub closed in 1974.

It was demolished in 1979 as a part of the redevelopment of Woolshops

This is discussed in the book Sketches of Old Halifax


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

New Tavern, BrighouseRef 17-661
Later known as the Barge, Brighouse

Newlands, RastrickRef 17-141


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1840: Abraham Horsfall
  • 1845: William Shaw

 

Nicholl's Temperance Hotel, HalifaxRef 17-1197
Around 1847, Mr Nicholl kept the Temperance Hotel, Broad Street, Halifax. It was a popular meeting place for Chartists and the National Land Company.

See Broad Street Temperance Hotels and Halifax Co-operative Trading Society

Noah's Ark, EllandRef 17-3430
115 Lower Edge.

The pub closed on 14th February 1908 following the Licensing Act [1904]


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1901: Israel Farrar
  • 1902: James Wood
  • 1903: J. B. Shilitoe
  • 1905: Richard Smith

 

Noah's Ark, OvendenRef 17-709
322-326 Ovenden Road.

This was originally a beer house and said to be the last one to be opened in Halifax.

It later became a coaching inn.

It was a Webster's pub [1860].

In 1999, it closed as a pub.

In 2000, it opened as a charity-run community Café and counselling centre.

This is discussed in the book Halifax Pubs


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

North Bridge Tavern, HalifaxRef 17-1222
84 Northgate.

See New North Bridge, Halifax


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1871: Charles Whyment

 

North Ward Tavern, ClaremountRef 17-869
11 Range Bank, Halifax / Horsfall's Yard.

This was originally a beer house.

In August 1868, under the terms of the Halifax Improvements Acts, the pub applied for, and was granted, a music and dancing licence.

The pub closed in 1915


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Northfield, BarkislandRef 17-550
Saddleworth Road.

Aka North Fields, North Field Inn


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Northgate Hotel, HalifaxRef 17-142
Northgate.

Originally Northgate House

At the time, it was said to be

too far out of the town to succeed

Northgate Hall was built next-door as the Saloon for the hotel.

An advertisement in The Leeds Mercury [22nd July 1837] announced


FAMILY HOTEL – TO BE LET

Recently erected and fitted up as an eligible and extensive FAMILY and COMMERCIAL HOTEL, conveniently situated in the populous and increasing town of Halifax, in the West Riding of the County of York.

The Hotel contains 50 Bed Rooms, several good private Sitting Rooms, good Kitchens, Larders, Cellars, &c, a Bath Room, with all other suitable Offices and Conveniences, a Coach Office, Tap Room, Stabling for 60 Horses, Close Coach Houses for 8 Carriages, open Sheds for Coaches &c, with extensive Granaries and Hay Chambers, a good Kitchen Court, and 2 Stables Courts &c &c.

One wing of the Hotel forms a handsome PUBLIC ROOM, capable of Dining 200 persons, and which may be conveniently used as a COFFEE ROOM, or NEWS ROOM.

The Building has a handsome Stone Front, and is the only eligible Family Hotel in Halifax

 

In 1852, the licence was withdrawn

as a punishment for the keeper of a disorderly house

In 1856, Dr John Lister sold the hotel to George Watkinson and Mr T Parker.

In the 1940s, the property was acquired by Samuel Webster & Sons Limited.

The licence was transferred to the Museum, Stump Cross [6th February 1957].

The buildings were demolished in 1961 when the area was redeveloped.

When excavations were taking place for the Broad Street Complex [2010], the remains of the basement casino were discovered.

See Jonathan Akroyd and Northgate Hall, Halifax


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Northgate Tap, HalifaxRef 17-886
Northgate Yard.

It was a Webster's pub [1905].

The pub closed in 1911 following the Licensing Act [1904]


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1851: John Gill
  • 1861: John Moor
  • 1881: William Whiteley
  • 1891: Samuel Parkin
  • 1911: Samuel Parkin

 

Northgate Temperance Hotel, HalifaxRef 17-1213

See Sugden's Temperance Hotel, Halifax and Temperance Hotel, Northgate

Nudger, Hebden BridgeRef 17-465
Charlestown.

Stood next to the Woodman and was incorporated when that was rebuilt in 1902.

Tommy Stansfield was born here


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 18??: Mr Stansfield
  • 1897: George Taylor Stuttard

 

Number 15, HalifaxRef 17-551
Bull Green

Nutclough Tavern, Hebden BridgeRef 17-342
8 Keighley Road.

Built around 1820.

Planning applications show that this was a Ramsden pub [August 1902].

The pub closed in 2001.

In 2002, it was bought by the Zion Housing Co-Op


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1905: James Greenwood

 


A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z


© Malcolm Bull 2019
Revised 14:19 /14th August 2019 / p200_n / 102623

search tips advanced search
site search by freefind

web counter