Pubs & inns

Q



A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z


Queen's Head, EllandRef 17-441


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1834: Joseph Lee
  • 1894: Robert Spencer

 

Queen's Head, HalifaxRef 17-167
Aka Queen Inn, Queen Hotel.

8/15/48 Swine Market / Dungeon Street / Gibbet Street. Opened in 1822.

In August 1868, under the terms of the Halifax Improvements Acts, the pub applied for, and was granted, a music and dancing licence.

On 3rd October 1928, it was sold at auction for £4,700.

The pub closed in 1968


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Queen's Head, IllingworthRef 17-430
13 Mason Green, Keighley Road.

Aka The Hen's Face.

It was a Stocks pub [1904], later becoming a Webster's pub.

This is discussed in the book Halifax Pubs


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1834: George Wilcock
  • 1851: Ira Dean
  • 1853: Ira Dean
  • 1853: Samuel Hirst
  • 1908: Samuel Hirst
  • 1908: Edgar Thomas
  • 1910: Edgar Thomas
  • 1910: Eli Hoyle
  • 1911: Eli Hoyle
  • 1911: James Rooks
  • 1919: James Rooks
  • 1919: Fred Lumb
  • 1927: Fred Lumb
  • 1929: Charles Hall
  • 1929: Eli Priestley
  • 1934: Eli Priestley
  • 1934: John Cyril Stacey
  • 1934: Arthur Webster
  • 1936: Arthur Webster
  • 1935: Jack Moorhouse
  • 1939: Jack Moorhouse
  • 1939: Herbert Job
  • 1953: Herbert Job
  • 1953: Ivor Turner
  • 1964: Ivor Turner
  • 1964: James Edward Cowen

 

Queen's Head, NorthowramRef 17-1003

Queen Hotel, RippondenRef 17-504
Halifax Road.

Aka The Queen's Arms.

Built by George Stansfeld about 1800 as a coaching inn. It was also intended to be used for local meetings.

It has been known as

The Ripponden Female Society held their events here [1849].

Ripponden Post Office was next door [1860s], then the business of Thomas Whiteley.

The mock-Tudor timber-work on the front appeared by the 1920s.

The pub closed and was converted into apartments [2012]

This is discussed in the book Halifax Pubs


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Queen Hotel, TodmordenRef 17-451
Rise Lane. Aka Queen's Commercial & Family Hotel.

Hotel built around 1840 to serve the railway.

An advertisement for the business in 1897 announced

A refreshment room connected with the station by a covered gangway

In October 1897, the Hotel and land were sold at auction. Massey's Burnley Brewery Limited bought the property for £9,700.

It was badly damaged by fire in 1997

See The Todmorden Vicarage murder and White Hart, Todmorden


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1820s: W. Pilling
  • 1840s: W. Pilling
  • 1848: James Hollows
  • 1850s: P. J. Bowker
  • 1861: James William MacDonald
  • 1871: John Copley
  • 1877: Robert Parker
  • 1896: Mrs Eastwood
  • 1891: James Eastwood
  • 1897: J. W. Widdup
  • 1900: J. W. Widdup
  • 1905: Victor Widdup
  • 1907: Victor S. Widdup
  • 1917: Mrs. J. T. Widdup

 

Queen, Skircoat GreenRef 17-831
The pub closed in 1869

Queen, SowerbyRef 17-830
The pub closed in 1906 following the Licensing Act [1904]

Queen, Sowerby BridgeRef 17-718
79 Bolton Brow. Opened in 1872. The pub closed in 1906 following the Licensing Act [1904]. In 1908, the pub was reconverted into houses.

It is mentioned again in 1924.

It closed in ????.

This is discussed in the book Halifax Pubs


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1871: Stephen Airey
  • 1881: George Haigh
  • 1891: Albert Halstead
  • 1905: Charles Hollas

 

Queen Victoria, NorthowramRef 17-245
Aka The Victoria Inn.

Situated at Victoria Place / Square, Halifax Road.

Built in 1837.

It is listed as the Victoria Inn [1874, 1894].

It was boarded up [March 2010].

It was subsequently

  • The 22 Bar & Smokehouse [2017]

This is discussed in the book Halifax Pubs


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1842: Benjamin Fawthrop
  • 1845: William Fawthrop
  • 1858: Mr Rawnsley – [when the licence was suspended]
  • 1861: Abraham Booth
  • 1864: Joseph Rawnsley
  • 1868: Joseph Rawnsley
  • 1874: Jarvis Sharp
  • 1894: Walter Gelder
  • 1901: Walter Gelder
  • 1905: Ben Smith
  • 1905: William Edward Robinson
  • 1906: William Edward Robinson
  • 1906: Jesse Dean
  • 1907: Jesse Dean
  • 1907: John George Bolland
  • 1909: John George Bolland
  • 1909: Harry Tasker
  • 1911: Griffin Oates
  • 1911: Robert Crossley
  • 1911: Harry Tasker
  • 1914: Robert Crossley
  • 1914: Abraham Pickles
  • 1917: Abraham Pickles
  • 1917: Richard Travis
  • 1926: Richard Travis
  • 1926: Walter Henry Cockroft
  • 1928: Walter Henry Cockroft
  • 1928: Charles James Edmonds
  • 1934: Charles James Edmonds
  • 1934: Edmund White
  • 1934: Edmund White
  • 1946: Edmund White
  • 1947: Edmund White
  • 1947: Raymond Drake
  • 19??: John Bolland

 

Queens, Cow GreenRef 17-1322
It was a Tetley pub [1930]

Queens Hotel, West ValeRef 17-1125
Stainland Road / Greetland.

Aka The Queen, The Queen Hotel, and Queen's.

It was a Stocks pub, then it was a Webster's pub [1933].

This is discussed in the book Halifax Pubs Volume Two


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Queens Road End, HalifaxRef 17-460
Before alterations in 1995, it was known as the Queens Road Hotel

Queens Road Hotel, HalifaxRef 17-995
229 Pellon Lane / Queens Road.

The Hotel is recorded in 1869, when

Aaron Sutcliffe of the Queens Road Hotel was buried at Christ Church, Pellon [7th September 1869]

It was a Fielding pub, then it was a Webster's pub [1961].

After alterations in 1995, it was known as the Queens Road End.

The pub closed in 2000.

In 2003, it was converted into the Islamic Education Centre linked to the Madni Mosque.

This is discussed in the books Halifax Pubs and Halifax Pubs Volume Two


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Queens Road Tavern, HalifaxRef 17-1176
217 Queens Road.

This was originally a beer house.

In 1884, it became a Webster house.

It closed after 2008.

It is now a private house.

This is discussed in the book Halifax Pubs


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1881: James Whitehead
  • 1884: John Collier & Mary Priestley
  • 1891: William Smith
  • 1901: William Smith
  • 1905: Robert Spencer
  • 1911: Robert Spencer
  • 1911: Shaw Wallis Wilcock
  • 1915: Shaw Wallis Wilcock
  • 1915: James Priestley
  • 1932: James Priestley
  • 1932: Lister Tattersall
  • 1937: Lister Tattersall
  • 1937: Robert Peasgood
  • 1942: Robert Peasgood
  • 1942: William Kershaw
  • 1943: William Kershaw
  • 1943: Frank James Carter
  • 1945: Frank James Carter
  • 1945: James Lilley Riley
  • 1947: James Lilley Riley
  • 1947: Clifford Davies

 


A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z


© Malcolm Bull 2020
Revised 11:46 /10th January 2020 / p200_q / 30425

search tips advanced search
site search by freefind

web counter