Pubs & inns

T



A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z


Talbot, EllandRef 17-981
Westgate It became the Mexborough Arms, for Lord Mexborough who owned property in Elland


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1822: Elizabeth Winpenny
  • 1829: John Cragg
  • 1834: John Cragg

 

Talbot, HalifaxRef 17-T3
40 Woolshops.

In the 18th century, the adjacent New Theatre at the Talbot was a popular venue.

A group of friends, including Branwell Brontë, met here and at other local pubs

In July 1804, the local magistrates began to hold Court here, because there was no proper Court House. The session began at 10:00 am on Saturday mornings. Later, the Court moved to a Magistrates' Office established at near the Theatre Royal.

On 1st March 1814, several buildings in the yard were damaged by fire.

In 1825, the Mechanics' Institution met here.

The Talbot was attacked by the mob during the window-breaking riots on 6th January 1835. The Jury awarded Daniel Holgate Sugden damages of £90.

James Alderson sold the pub Brear & Brown for £7,450 [February 1897].

The pub closed on 15th January 1918.

The inn was demolished in 1931 during redevelopment of Woolshops.

The rebuilt New Talbot Inn closed in 1974, and was demolished in 1979 as a part of the redevelopment of Woolshops

It is said that there were cellars beneath the pub which led to Halifax Parish Church.

This is discussed in the book Halifax Pubs

See Banknotes, De Warren [No 1302] Masonic Lodge, Halifax Union Club, Talbot Square, Talbot Yard, The Canterbury, Halifax and The Square


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Talbot, IllingworthRef 17-234
99 Keighley Road / Wrigley Hill.

An earlier building on the site is said to have been used by soldiers during the Wars of the Roses in the 15th century.

A later building was erected [around 1777].

It was originally an inn and then became the vicarage or chapel house for St Mary the Virgin, Illingworth.

It became an inn around 1800.

In 1841, it was badly damaged by fire.

On 7th October 1925, permission to rebuild the Inn was refused by licensing magistrates.

In the 1930s, it was rebuilt by Glendinning & Hanson.

It was demolished in 2009.

This is discussed in the book Halifax Pubs.

See Illingworth Vicarage


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Tap & Spile, BrighouseRef 17-1113
In 1924, the original Tap & Spile pub was demolished and the front realigned.

It became the Prince of Wales

Tap & Spile, HalifaxRef 17-1114
Ward's End.

The former Royal Oak, Halifax has had a succession of name changes: the Tap & Spile; The Royal Oak again; Dirty Dick's.

TavernRef 17-1075
These were sometimes underground in a cellar beneath a dwelling house

Tavern, HalifaxRef 17-590
Queens Road

Tavern, West ValeRef 17-1042
Aka West Vale Tavern, West Vale Inn.

Stainland Road.

Josiah Bailey took out a mortgage on the land [1862]. In 1874, he sold it to Webster's Brewery, although it is not clear whether he sold the land or the pub as a going concern.


Question: Does anyone know when the pub was built?

 

The pub closed on 18th April 1959.

This is discussed in the book Halifax Pubs


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Temperance Commercial Hotel, HalifaxRef 17-1393
In 1861, John Alderson was landlord of the Temperance Hotel, Halifax – which was then known as the Temperance Commercial Hotel

Temperance Hotel, BrighouseRef 17-1180
Bradford Road


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1874: James E. Hodgson

 

Temperance Hotel, BrighouseRef 17-1181
Commercial Street. Recorded in 1874

Temperance Hotel, BrighouseRef 17-1182
Bethel Street. Recorded in 1874

Temperance Hotel, BrighouseRef 17-572
Briggate. The Primitive Methodists held their meeting here in 1858

Temperance Hotel, CornholmeRef 17-1264
Redwater Foot


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1896: F. A. E. Stocker

 

Temperance Hotel, HalifaxRef 17-1226
52 Northgate


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Temperance Hotel, HalifaxRef 17-1375
7 Mount Street.

Recorded in 1922

Temperance Hotel, HalifaxRef 17-73
Stood at 16 Broad Street, immediately opposite Halifax Town Hall.

Founded as a temperance hotel by David Ward around 1837. It had 22 bedrooms [1895].

It was a popular meeting place for the Chartists.

The Star of Temperance Oddfellows met here.

The Hotel was demolished when Broad Street was redeveloped in 1957

See Broad Street Temperance Hotels, Crossley & Barker and Mr Etherington


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Temperance Hotel, LuddendenRef 17-41


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1874: Jonas Taylor

 

Temperance Hotel, TodmordenRef 17-473
19th century temperance hostelry at the Oddfellows' Hall


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1861: Robert Brook
  • 1871: Miss Grace Fielden
  • 1877: Miss Grace Fielden
  • 1877: George Stansfield

 

Terminus Café & Temperance Hotel, Hebden BridgeRef 17-T325
New Road

Thorn Tree, HalifaxRef 17-747
220 Gibbet Street

This was originally a beer house.

It was a Webster's pub [1904].

This is discussed in the book Halifax Pubs


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1871: William Kendall
  • 1878: James Sutcliffe
  • 1881: James Sutcliffe
  • 1891: Elizabeth Crabtree
  • 1901: Elizabeth Crabtree
  • 1904: Harry Hanson
  • 1905: Harry Hanson
  • 1911: Harry Hanson
  • 1911: Robert Spencer
  • 1923: Robert Spencer
  • 1923: Harvey Normington
  • 1929: Harvey Normington
  • 1929: John Fuller
  • 1929: John Fuller
  • 1929: John Cyril Stacey
  • 1931: John Cyril Stacey
  • 1931: Arthur Evans
  • 1936: Arthur Evans
  • 1939: Arthur Evans
  • 1939: Arthur Fleetwood
  • 1940: Arthur Fleetwood
  • 1940: Wilfred Taylor
  • 1948: Wilfred Taylor
  • 1948: Samuel Simpson Clark
  • 1952: Samuel Simpson Clark
  • 1952: Donald Francis Kegan
  • 1954: Donald Francis Kegan
  • 1954: James Leslie Bowers
  • 1956: James Leslie Bowers
  • 1956: Clement Fell
  • 1958: Clement Fell
  • 1958: Eric Wade
  • 1962: Eric Wade
  • 1962: Sidney Rudhin

 

Thorne, ShoreRef 17-928

Thornhill Arms, RastrickRef 17-236
1 Church Street.

19th century building. Opened in 1858.

It was originally called the Red Lion.

Public concerts were held at the pub. Mrs Sunderland sang here.

This is discussed in the book Our Home & Country where Comfort described the Grandmother's Clock which was built into the wall of the hostelry.

The pub lost its licence and closed on 31st December 1937.

It became a residential nursing home. Traces of the original inn sign can still be seen on the wall.

See Charles Singleton


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Thornton's Hotel, Sowerby BridgeRef 17-1143
Wharf Street. Recorded in 1844

Three Horse Shoes, ClaremountRef 17-851
3 Horley Green Road. Opened in 1869.


It is highly likely that the pub was known as the
Beacon Tavern [some time after 1871]
 


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1871: Thomas Gath
  • 1881: Thomas Cawthard [3 Horley Green Road]

 

Three Horseshoes, MixendenRef 17-748
12 & 13 / 26 Clough Lane.

The pub closed in 1915. It is now a private house.

This is discussed in the book Halifax Pubs Volume Two


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Three Nuns, MirfieldRef 17-T107
Kirklees Park.

Originally built in 1497, the hostelry was named after the 3 nuns of Kirklees Priory who started business there when the priory was dissolved in the 16th century: Katherine Grice, Joan Leverthorpe, and Cecilia Topcliffe.

It has been said the Oliver Cromwell rested at the Inn before the Battle of Marston Moor.

In 1812, the inn was the venue for Luddite meetings, and in 1920 a collection of Luddite relics – knives and swords – was found in a ceiling at the inn.

The site of the original inn is in the car park of the present building which dates from 1939.

A recent tale tells of a ram's head being found behind an old fireplace during refurbishment in 1985. Subsequently, there were stories of icy hands, and of pumps, taps and equipment turning on without any apparent cause. The happenings ceased when the ram's head was returned to its resting place. The pub was exorcised in 1991.

In 2016, the pub was inexplicably renamed the Miller & Carter

See Harry Harding, William Sugden and Three Nuns Pit, Hartshead

Three Pigeons, HalifaxRef 17-237
Sun Fold / Church Lane / South Parade.

The present building was rebuilt for Webster's in 1932 and designed by Jackson & Fox.

In 2005, the property was acquired by the Ossett Brewery and refurbished.

See James Flannigan and Old Three Pigeons


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Tipp Inn, BrighouseRef 17-331
Stands next to the council waste disposal site on Atlas Mill Road.

See Atlas Mill Brewery, Brighouse

Top Brink, LumbuttsRef 17-B358
An old packhorse inn.

It was formerly known as the Sportsman's Arms and then the Dog & Partridge

Top Shoulder, BlackshawheadRef 17-612
Popular name for the Shoulder of Mutton, Blackshawhead to distinguish it from the Shoulder of Mutton, Hebden Bridge

Town Hall, EllandRef 17-3129
Huddersfield Road. Stands next the Victoria swimming baths in Elland.

Originally called ?.


Question: Does anyone know the name of the pub before it was renamed for Elland Town Hall after 1888?

 

The pub closed in ?.

It is now [2015] a hair dresser's & beauty parlour.

This is discussed in the book Halifax Pubs Volume Two


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Town Hall, Sowerby BridgeRef 17-583
4 Hollins Mill Lane. Built in the 1860s next to the new Town Hall.

It was a Grove pub, then later it was a Whitaker pub [1905].

Planning applications show that this was a Grove Brewery pub [October 1903].

It was demolished when Hollins Mill Lane was redeveloped. Apartments were built on the site.

This is discussed in the book Halifax Pubs Volume Two


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Town Hall Tavern, HalifaxRef 17-336
17 Union Street.

Built around 1800. It stood opposite the old town hall. It was originally 2 houses with an attached weaving wing.

This was originally a beer house.

It became a public house in 18??.

It was a Ramsden pub [1904].

See Westgate, Halifax


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1834: Jacob Gaukroger
  • 1840: Ann Gaukroger
  • 1842: Ann Gaukroger
  • 1845: Matilda Gaukroger
  • 1866: Thomas Roberts
  • 1871: Thomas Roberts
  • 1874: Thomas Roberts
  • 1881: Edwin Hebblethwaite
  • 1891: Richard Foster
  • 1893: Richard Forster
  • 1894: Richard Forster
  • 1895: Richard Forster
  • 1901: Anthony Bray
  • 1905: Edward Gledhill
  • 1911: Edward Gledhill
  • 1927: Edward Gledhill
  • 1936: Edward Gledhill
  • 1936: Edward Gledhill
  • 1936: Ernest Booth
  • 1940: Ernest Booth
  • 1940: John Milligan
  • 1944: John Milligan
  • 1944: George Henry Collins
  • 1952: George Henry Collins
  • 1952: George Foster Smith

 

Trafalgar Inn, HalifaxRef 17-1129
1 Trafalgar Row / Haugh Shaw Road.

In 1861, this was the home of Joseph Shaw, wool worker.

This was originally a beer house.

In August 1868, under the terms of the Halifax Improvements Acts, the pub applied for, and was granted, a music and dancing licence.

It was a Whitaker pub [1904].

Much of the surrounding property was cleared in the 1970s when Aachen Way was constructed.

This is discussed in the book Halifax Pubs


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1869: George Park
  • 1871: George Park
  • 1881: Thomas Taylor – [1856-1???]
  • 1891: Thomas Taylor
  • 1901: George Park
  • 1901: Albert Smith Green
  • 1904: Walter Morton
  • 1923: Walter Morton
  • 1923: George Pollard
  • 1925: George Pollard
  • 1925: Tom Watson
  • 1931: Tom Watson
  • 1931: Ernest Benson
  • 1936: Ernest Benson
  • 1942: Harold Dawson
  • 1961: Harold Dawson
  • 1961: Thomas Duerdin
  • 1963: Thomas Duerdin
  • 1963: Gerald Smith
  • 1964: Gerald Smith
  • 1964: Ernest Albert Rose

 

Tramshed, HalifaxRef 17-1077
Lord Street. The Tramshed and its neighbour, the Zoo Bar, were night clubs known for their rock, indie, punk and ska music.

During a police raid in December 2003, almost half of the 150 revelers were found to be under 18, the youngest was 13 years old, and a member of the bar staff was 15.

During a raid on 18th November 2005, police found that 420 of the 500 people in the club were under-age drinkers. Several other raids produced similar results.

They became the first establishments to be closed under the Licensing Act [2003]

Traveller's Rest Beerhouse, SouthowramRef 17-1358
Recorded about 1830 at Bankfield Farm, Southowram

See Travellers' Rest, Southowram

Travellers Inn, SouthowramRef 17-1378
In 1852, the Pineberry Tavern, Halifax is recorded as the Travellers Inn

Travellers' Rest, BlackshawheadRef 17-1237
Closed in 19??

Travellers' Rest, EllandRef 17-303
93 Huddersfield Road.

This was a beer house [1864].

It was a Ramsden pub [1895].

The pub was for sale at an asking price of £180,000 [2010]. The Red Lion, Stainland and the Bay Horse, Halifax were also up for sale after the owners, Deepclear Limited, went into administration [September 2010].

This is discussed in the book Halifax Pubs


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Travellers' Rest, HalifaxRef 17-849
34 North Bridge Street / 37 Park Street, Northgate.

This was originally a beer house.

Opened in 1879.

The pub closed in 1922


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Travellers' Rest, HipperholmeRef 17-239
Tanhouse Hill.

Originally the Traveller's Inn. Late 18th century building with mid-19th century alterations.

In the mid-19th century, tulip shows were held here.

In 1867, Michael Stocks bought the property for £1,340 as a part of the Crow Nest Estate.

Around 1915, this was the headquarters of the local Rifle Club.

More recently [2007], the name has reverted to the Traveller's Inn.

This is discussed in the book Halifax Pubs


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Travellers' Rest, LuddendenRef 17-751
Duke Street.

J. Murgatroyd & Son built a band room next to the pub for their Oats Royd Mills Brass Band.

The pub closed in 1938


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Travellers' Rest, Mount TaborRef 17-750
Century Lane.

The pub was a beer only licence.

It was a Ramsden pub [1904].

In 1905, it was called the Travellers' Inn.

The pub closed in July 1914


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Travellers' Rest, NorlandRef 17-850
The pub closed in 1873

Travellers' Rest, SouthowramRef 17-238

42 Pineberry Hill / 42 Southowram Bank.

Opened in 1837.

The pub closed on 17th May 1953.

See Pineberry Tavern, Halifax and Traveller's Rest Beerhouse, Southowram


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Travellers' Rest, SowerbyRef 17-1390
Higgin Chamber, Boulderclough.

The pub closed on 20th December 1934 with the extinction of the licence.

See Thomas George Titterington and Travellers' Rest, Steep Lane


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Travellers' Rest, SowerbyRef 17-302
Pilling Lane / Steep Lane.

This was originally a beer house.

The pub closed in 1934.

The building is now a restaurant.

In August 2008, on account of the views, it was voted the best place in West Yorkshire from which to see the sunset, and one of the top 10 in Britain.

See Travellers' Rest, Boulderclough


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Travellers' Rest, West ValeRef 17-749
83 Stainland Road.

It was a Whitaker pub.

In 1907, the licensing authorities declined to renew the licence at the pub, but Whitaker's claimed compensation and the licence was renewed.

It was an Ainley pub [1919].

This is discussed in the book Halifax Pubs Volume Two


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Trees, SowerbyRef 17-1231

This was originally a beer house


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Trevelyan Temperance Hotel, HalifaxRef 17-1170
19 Horton Street / Thomas Street

See Horton Street Temperance Hotels


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1905: Alonzo Gibson

 

Triangle, SowerbyRef 17-301
Rochdale Road, Triangle. Built around 1765 as a coaching inn for traffic on the triangle of land formed when the new turnpike was built.

It is said that, in the 1930s, the tram service from Sowerby Bridge went as far as the Blue Ball. It is said that, Thomas Mellor, the landlord of the Triangle wanted the trams to go as far as his hostelry, but this was not to be. When the service terminated, and the line was being dismantled, he bought the turning pole which carried the wires to the terminus and erected this outside the pub.

The pub has suffered several accidents involving motor vehicles. In August 2006, it was badly damaged when a truck ran into the building. It reopened in June 2007

In November 2011, there were reports of the pub being converted into flats.

This is discussed in the books Halifax Pubs and Our Home & Country.

See Oak Hill, Triangle, Edmond Pickup, Rose of the Valley Lodge, Triangle Roll of Honour and Triangle War Memorial


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Turk's Head, HalifaxRef 17-240
6 Old Market.

This was originally a mediæval house cased in stone in the 17th century.

It was demolished in 1890, together with the House at the Maypole which stood next door.

See Turk's head and Turk's Head Conservative Club


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Turk's Head, Sowerby BridgeRef 17-2400
Back Wharf Street. Originally a packhorse inn.

Recorded in the 1850s.

Planning applications show that this was a Stocks pub [1921].

This is discussed in the book Halifax Pubs Volume Two

See Turk's head


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Turnpike, RishworthRef 17-299
Formerly known as the Derby Bar, Rishworth.

See Oldham turnpike

Tythe Barn, Hebden BridgeRef 17-T403
Burnley Road. One of the names taken by Mayroyd House, Hebden Bridge when it became a pub and a restaurant.

It is now a private house once more


A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z


© Malcolm Bull 2019
Revised 12:22 /13th June 2019 / p200_t / 82552

search tips advanced search
site search by freefind

web counter