Pubs & inns

U



A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z


Uncle Tom's Cabin, HalifaxRef 17-864
16 Garden Street / 2 Higgins Place.

The beerhouse closed in 1903


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Unicorn, HalifaxRef 17-1033
Bull Green


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1822: Joseph Jackson

 

Union Cross, HalifaxRef 17-U8
15 Old Market.

Originally called The Crosse Inn because it stood opposite the old market cross.

Recorded in 1535, this is the oldest inn in Halifax and stands in Old Market on the site of the old town market.

From 1818, meetings and rehearsals of the Halifax Quarterly Choral Society were held here and at other local Inns.

This is discussed in the books Halifax Antiquarian Society Transactions and Halifax Pubs.

See Probity [No 61] Masonic Lodge


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Union Cross, HeptonstallRef 17-243
46 Northgate / Main Street. Aka The Cross.

Built around 1617. It was originally known as the Stocks Inn because the town stocks stood here.

The chimney is dated HE 1636, and there is a carving of a man and woman in 17th-century dress.

In 1771, a gang of coiners in the pub overheard Abraham Ingham saying that he knew who had murdered William Deighton. The gang promptly threw Ingham on the fire – and poured burning coals down his breeches – killing him.

New House is now a part of the inn.

A mummified cat, found in the rafters at Heptonstall church after the storm of 1847, was displayed at the inn. The cat was lost in 1958.

This is discussed in the book Halifax Pubs


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Union Cross, OvendenRef 17-241


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1845: Mrs Mary Walton
  • 1874: R. J. Carter [Illingworth Cross]

 

Upper Castle, CraggRef 17-1357

This was originally a beer house


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Upper Crispin, HalifaxRef 17-1043
King Cross Lane

See Crispin, Halifax, Old Crispin, Halifax, St Crispin, Halifax and Upper Crispin, Halifax


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1822: Thomas Lister

 

Upper Foot Farm, LuddendenfootRef 17-1368
Around 1840, when the Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway was being built at Luddendenfoot, there was a public house at Upper Foot Farm, Luddendenfoot

Upper George Hotel & Posting House, HalifaxRef 17-U17
In Upper George Yard between 3 Crown Street / Cheapside.

In the early 19th century, this was used as a meeting place for the trustees of Halifax town.

There is a datestone from a barn of 1717. This was reused when the present building was erected in 1826, and is dated IIS for Judith and Jonathan Stead and WE for William Emmet

See Coaches, Thomas Bates and Flogging


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Upper George, RastrickRef 17-419
Aka The George.

Crowtrees Lane / Church Street.

The pub opened in 1827.

The pub closed in 1936.

The building was recorded around 1941, although it was no longer a pub.

It was later demolished.

The car park for St Matthew's Church now occupies the site of the pub.

See George, Rastrick and Lower George, Rastrick

David Kelly and Derrick Habergham have collected records for 3 pubs – The George, The Upper George, and The Lower George - the first 2 of which would appear to be the same hostelry.

Their contributions are used in the following list of licensees,

  • G indicates that the pub is recorded as The George or The Upper George
  • L indicates that the pub is recorded as The Lower George
  • U indicates that the pub is recorded as The Upper George or The George


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1822: Thomas Aspinall Snr U
  • 1829: Thomas Aspinall G
  • 1834: John Eastwood U
  • 1834: Joseph Shaw U
  • 1840: John Eastwood U
  • 1840: William Shaw U
  • 1842: William Shaw U
  • 1845: William Chambers G
  • 1847: William Chambers G
  • 1847: John Eastwood U
  • 1847: Joseph Marshall U
  • 1851: John Fox U
  • 1851: Joe Eastwood U
  • 1853: Esther Eastwood U
  • 1853: James Fox U
  • 1858: Mrs Hannah Fox U
  • 1858: William Turner U
  • 1858: George Hibbert L
  • 1859: George Hibbert L
  • 1860: Mrs Ellen Hibbert L
  • 1861: Mrs Ellen Hibbert L
  • 1861: James Fox G
  • 1871: Joshua Bentley L
  • 1871: Sarah Bentley L
  • 1871: George Dyson G
  • 1874: George Dyson G
  • 1879: William Sutcliffe G
  • 1881: Elizabeth Sutcliffe G
  • 1881: Fred Sykes U
  • 1887: Fred Sykes U
  • 1887: George Littlewood U
  • 1887: J. Brook U
  • 1891: Mrs Elizabeth Sykes U
  • 1891: John Smith U
  • 1891: John Smith L
  • 1894: Mrs Sarah Smith U
  • 1895: Mrs Elizabeth Sykes G
  • 1895: Mrs Mary Smith U
  • 1895: Sam Collins U
  • 1896: Sam Collins U
  • 1897: Sam Collins U
  • 1901: Sam Collins U
  • 1901: Eli Mothersill [?] U
  • 1902: Alfred Briggs U
  • 1904: Joe Morton U
  • 1906: Fred Ormerod U
  • 1906: Joseph Morton U
  • 1906: Mark Rose U
  • 1909: Fitton Crowther U
  • 1913: W. Stuart U
  • 1914: James H. Greenwood L
  • 1914: William Clayton L
  • 1915: Catherine Stuart U
  • 1915: George Chadwick U
  • 1916: Tommy Jackson U
  • 1917: Thomas Jackson G
  • 1917: William Clayton U
  • 1???: Lucy Clayton U
  • 1918: Emily Jackson U
  • 1919: Tommy Jackson U
  • 1925: F. W. Cotton U
  • 1927: J. F. Lightowler U
  • 1928: Bert Huggett U
  • 1936: Lizzie Huggett U

 

In the 1861 census for Rastrick, they appear in the sequence


Question: Please email me if you can correct any mistakes in this list

 

Upper Slack Farm, WainstallsRef 17-852
The pub closed in 1870


A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z


© Malcolm Bull 2019
Revised 15:33 /5th May 2019 / p200_u / 28819

search tips advanced search
site search by freefind

web counter