Pubs & inns

V



A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z


Vaults Bar, HalifaxRef 17-1397
Recorded at the Oddfellows' Hall, Halifax in the late 1950s.


Question: Does anyone know if it was associated with the Royal Hotel?

 

Viaduct Tavern, GauxholmeRef 17-930
Built around 1837 to replace the Old Mason's Inn The pub closed in December 1965. It is now a private house


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Victoria & Albert, BoothtownRef 17-373
24 & 26 Victoria Street North / Albert Street / Haley Hill.

In August 1868, under the terms of the Halifax Improvements Acts, the pub applied for, but was refused, a music and dancing licence.

On 3rd March 1930, this, the Black Horse Inn, Woolshops, the Engineers Inn, Cross Hills, the Junction Inn and the Bishop Blaize Inn, Charlestown Road were referred for closure. The pub closed in 1931


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Victoria Arms, HalifaxRef 17-383
15/17 King Street.

This was originally a beer house.

The pub closed in 1905 following the Licensing Act [1904]


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1871: Caroline Townsend
  • 1894: Sam Blakey
  • 1905: Mrs S. A. Appleyard

 

Victoria Beerhouse, BrighouseRef 17-1315


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Victoria, HalifaxRef 17-459
Horton Street. Opened in 18??

Recorded in 1931, when it was The Victoria Commercial Hotel.

In May 2003, it was badly damaged by fire. It was demolished in 2008


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1931: Ms E. Madders

 

Victoria, HalifaxRef 17-752
42-44 Pellon Lane.

Aka The Victoria Arms, The Victoria Inn.

Recorded in 1850.

This was originally a beer house.

Samuel Webster & Sons bought the pub in 1897. In May 1897, was bought by Brear & Brown for £4,100.

The pub closed in April 1958. It was demolished when Aachen Way was constructed


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1853: John Gledhill – [licensee]
  • 1872: Moses Hartley – [owner]
  • 1876: Harriet Gledhill
  • 1881: Harriet Gledhill – [aged 53]
  • 1891: Sam Gledhill
  • 1897: Mrs R. R. Nelson – [owner]
  • 1897: Sam Gledhill
  • 1904: Sam Gledhill
  • 1905: John William Harwood
  • 1906: Harry Robertshaw
  • 1907: Harry Robertshaw
  • 1907: George Harold Langhorn
  • 1910: George Harold Langhorn
  • 1910: Asa Robinson
  • 1911: Asa Robinson
  • 1911: Frederick Charles White
  • 1912: Frederick Charles White
  • 1912: Timothy Fawthrop
  • 1914: Timothy Fawthrop
  • 1914: Milford Charnock
  • 1915: Milford Charnock
  • 1915: Greenwood Hough
  • 1927: Greenwood Haigh
  • 1931: Greenwood Hough
  • 1931: Harold Bates
  • 1936: Harold & Alice Bates
  • 1942: Harold Bates
  • 1942: Sarah Elizabeth Bates
  • 1944: Sarah Elizabeth Bates
  • 1944: Arthur Ingham
  • 1958: Arthur Ingham

 

Victoria Inn, NorthowramRef 17-1192
See Queen Victoria

Victoria, LuddendenfootRef 17-853
Burnley Road. Opened in 1886/8. It was built on the same site as the earlier Anchor & Shuttle.

It was a Brear & Brown pub [1914].

The pub closed in January 1917.

It later became the Council Offices and was known as Victoria Buildings.

This is discussed in the book Halifax Pubs Volume Two


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1893: Edward Weston
  • 1905: Edward Weston
  • 1914: Joseph Eccles
  • 1914: Robert Dunford

 

Victoria Tavern, BrighouseRef 17-1236
Mill Lane.

It was a Whitaker pub [1939] when they leased it from Mellor's of Brighouse.

In the 1970s, it closed for a short time and reopened [1975] as a free house.

It became the Barge.

This is discussed in the book Halifax Pubs Volume Two

Victoria Temperance Hotel, HalifaxRef 17-753
31 / 33 / 35 Horton Street

See Horton Street Temperance Hotels


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Victory Lounge, HalifaxRef 17-984
Silver Street. The block stood west of what had been Thomas Simpson & Sons Limited.

The Vic Lounge, or Victoria Lounge, became a snooker hall.

It was a Bentley's Yorkshire Breweries pub.

It was subsequently known as Rosie O'Grady's and Foggy's

It is now a part of Yates's [1992].

This is discussed in the book Halifax Pubs Volume Two


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1936: John R. Jennings

 

Vine Hotel, BrighouseRef 17-327
42/169 Elland Road.

Built in 1860 as a mill with a house next door.

This was originally a beer house.

In 1867, the beerhouse was owned and occupied by Mr Cliffe, and a licence was refused to Mr F. Barber.

This was a Brear & Brown house [1894].

Inquests were held here [1889].

The pub closed in 1933.

It later became Vine Works, Brighouse and then a private house


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Vine, Sowerby BridgeRef 17-1334
By 2008, the Calder Bank, Sowerby Bridge was known as The Vine.

By 2014, it was known as the Blind Pig

Volunteer Arms, BrighouseRef 17-3000
19 Bradford Road.

Near Sladdin's Tailors in Bradford Road.

The pub closed in 1906 following the Licensing Act [1904]


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Volunteer Arms, CopleyRef 17-300
In 17??, Copley Hall was partly demolished, and a part became the Volunteer Arms public house.

This too was demolished in 1915 for a new public house, and the plasterwork was taken to the Kensington Museum, London.

This is discussed in the books Halifax Pubs and Our Home & Country


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Vulcan, RastrickRef 17-854
20 Vulcan Street.

At the junction of Vulcan Street / Foundry Street, off Birds Royd Lane.

The pub closed on 1st December 1926.

The building is now [2013] known as Vulcan House


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 


A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z


© Malcolm Bull 2019
Revised 18:09 /7th August 2019 / p200_v / 26612

search tips advanced search
site search by freefind

web counter