Pubs & inns

W



A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z


Waggon & Horses, BottomsRef 17-1071
Burnley Road, Stansfield. Built by John Mitchell. He was landlord of the Inn


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1845: George Pickles

 

Waggon & Horses, CornholmeRef 17-1087
Redwater Foot / Burnley Road


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Waggon & Horses, HalifaxRef 17-W1
Berry Lane. Aka the Dublin Arms.

The pub closed in 1905 following the Licensing Act [1904]

Waggon & Horses, Holywell GreenRef 17-1050
Station Road.

There was a toll booth near the Inn for the Stainland to Sowerby Bridge Turnpike.

Recorded in 1822.

The inn was owned by John Shaw & Sons.

In the 1870s, it became the Station Hotel when the railway came to Stainland.

This is discussed in the book Halifax Pubs


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Waggon & Horses, RastrickRef 17-1327
Snake Hill


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Waggon & Horses, RippondenRef 17-444

It was a Stocks pub [1869].

It later became the White Swan.

This is discussed in the book Halifax Pubs Volume Two.

See Waggon & Horses, Soyland


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Waggon & Horses, Sowerby BridgeRef 17-W2
72/74 West Street. Opened in 1890.

It was a Halifax Brewery Company pub.

The pub closed in 1906 following the Licensing Act [1904].

The pub closed with the extinction of licence [31st July 1907].

This is discussed in the book Halifax Pubs


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Waggon & Horses, SoylandRef 17-248
Nether Royd

See Waggon & Horses, Ripponden

Waggon & Horses, StainlandRef 17-246
Bottoms


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1834: (possibly) Luke Haigh
  • 1845: George Pickles

 

Waggon & Horses, StainlandRef 17-247
Outlane


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Waggon & Horses, WalsdenRef 17-600
786 Rochdale Road.

See Carr Terrace, Bottoms, Edmund Dyson and Todmorden & District Carriage Company


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1847: Joseph Perth
  • 18??: ? Hill
  • 18??: Jinny & John Hill
  • 18??: Jinny Hill
  • 18??: Jinny Fielden
  • 18??: Ogden Mitchell – [18??-1899]
  • 1891: Stansfield Greenwood
  • 1905: Elizabeth Greenwood
  • 1905: Richard Halstead
  • 1917: Abraham Buckley
  • 1917: Abraham Buckley

 

Waggoners', HalifaxRef 17-249
13/15 Northgate. This was one of the town's main coaching inns

Joseph Rideal Smith was born here and the building appears in one of his prints.

This is discussed in the book Halifax Pubs


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Waggoners', HalifaxRef 17-879
8 Gibbet Street.

This was originally a beer house.

The pub closed in 1908 following the Licensing Act [1904]


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1881: Thomas Birtwhistle
  • 1905: Sarah Dyson

 

Waggoners Inn, Ambler ThornRef 17-1319
It was a Fielding pub


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Waggoners', OvendenRef 17-251
Peat Pitts.

See Wagon & Horses, Ovenden


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Waggoners' Rest, Mount TaborRef 17-399
Stocks Lane.

The building was originally a row of weavers' cottages [around 1740].

Around 1800, the property was converted into a smallholding called Brock Top Farm, Mount Tabor.

In the late 19th century, it was converted into a pub to serve the trade passing up and down Stocks Lane on their way to and from the quarries in Mount Tabor.

This was originally a beer house.

It opened in 1902.

It was a Ramsden pub.

There is a stone horse trough on the roadside by the property for the horses on their way up Stocks Lane.

The pub closed in 1958.

When the quarries stopped production, the pub was split into two properties: Breck Top Farm and Breck Top Cottage.

The electrical box on the street lamp outside still reads Waggoners' Rest.

For many years, occupants and visitors have reported sightings of a man wearing a brimmed hat and long coat in the upstairs rear of the property


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1891: Joseph Wade
  • 1901: Joseph Bedford – who lived at 3 Jumples Crag
  • 1905: Emma A. Whalley
  • 1906: Rachel Smart
  • 1914: Rachel Smart
  • 1914: Arthur Helliwell
  • 1921: Arthur Helliwell
  • 1921: Arthur Percival Crowe
  • 1921: Arthur Percival Crowe
  • 1921: George Turver
  • 1934: George Turver
  • 1934: Arton Sowden
  • 1948: Arton Sowden
  • 1948: Robert Chatfield
  • 1948: Frank Wade
  • 1952: Frank Wade
  • 1952: Walter Arthur Clemence
  • 1958: Walter Arthur Clemence

 

Waggoners', Skircoat GreenRef 17-673

This was originally a beer house.

The pub was renamed the Standard of Freedom

Waggoners', StainlandRef 17-250
Holywell Green


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1845: John Shaw

 

Wagon & Horses, OvendenRef 17-1330


Question: Does anyone know anything about this hostelry? Could it be the another name for the Waggoners', Ovenden?

 


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Wainhouse TavernRef 17-1383
Pye Nest.

J. E. Wainhouse's home at West Air was converted into a pub, known successively as the Royal, Pye Nest, the Folly, and the Wainhouse Tavern [by 2014]

Waiters' Arms, Sowerby BridgeRef 17-390
Tuel Lane.

It is mentioned in a bond dated 1598.

Planning applications show that this was a Halifax Brewery Company pub [March 1907].

At one time, It was a Ramsden pub LC.

This is discussed in the book Halifax Pubs


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Walkers' Arms, ShelfRef 17-252


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1845: Jane Mansfield

 

Wappy Spring, OutlaneRef 17-1235
Lindley Moor Road.

Originally a beerhouse and brewery tap called the Wapping Spring Inn.

The name was changed to Wappy, the brand name for the ales and stouts made in casks and bottles by the Wapping Spring Brewery.

When the Hawk, Barkisland closed [10th February 1937], the licence was transferred to the Wappy Spring


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1896: John Holroyd

 

Ward's Temperance Hotel, HalifaxRef 17-113
5 North Bridge.

See Jonathan Butterfield


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Warren House Inn, FixbyRef 17-1341
Recorded in 1873, when
Harriet, relict of Saville Crowther, formerly of the Warren House Inn, Fixby, was buried at Blackley Baptist Church

Waterfront, BrighouseRef 17-587
The hotel/restaurant was originally Perseverance Mill

Waterhouse Arms, HalifaxRef 17-253
King Street / 2 Nelson Street.

It was a Knowles pub.

On 4th June 1928, the Waterhouse Arms, the Bacchus Tavern, and the King of Belgium were referred for closure.

The pub was demolished in 19??.

This is discussed in the book Halifax Pubs

It was a Knowles pub.

See Flogging and Halifax Orange Club, No. 10


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Waverley Temperance Hotel, HalifaxRef 17-1172
43 Horton Street.

See Horton Street Temperance Hotels


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1905: Mrs Florence Anderson

 

WC's, HalifaxRef 17-1216
In the 1980s, the public toilets in Bull Green were closed and converted into this wine bar.

It later became known as Bar 15

Weavers' Arms, LuddendenfootRef 17-566
Burnley Road / Luddenden Lane.

Built on the site of Farrar's Mill.

This was originally a beer house.

The pub appears to be unoccupied [2008].

This is discussed in the book Halifax Pubs.

See Luddendenfoot Economic Stores


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Weavers' Arms, MidgleyRef 17-861
Formerly the Horse & Shoes, Midgley.

The pub closed on 11th September 1906 following the Licensing Act [1904]

Weavers' Arms, TodmordenRef 17-516
Blind Lane


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1888: Mrs Sutcliffe
  • 1897: Mrs Sutcliffe
  • 1900: Mrs Sutcliffe
  • 1905: Mrs Martha Jane Sutcliffe

 

Weavers, HalifaxRef 17-567

Wellington, EllandRef 17-255
55 Southgate.

Mid 17th century timber-framed building. It was originally a farmhouse.

In the mid-19th century, John Bowes, then his wife Sarah, owned the pub.

It was rebuilt in the 19th century.

A music licence was granted [1939].

It was popularly known as the Glue Pot.

This is discussed in the book Halifax Pubs


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Wellington, HalifaxRef 17-756
66 Rochdale Road, King Cross.

This was originally a beer house

It was a Ramsden pub.


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Wellington Hotel, BrighouseRef 17-254
Stood at 43 Commercial Street on the corner with Briggate. Opened in 1821. In 1821, this, the Black Bull, the Black Swan and the Anchor were the only pubs in Brighouse.

The Irish workers staying here were one focus for the Irish riots of 1882.

The pub closed in 1946 and was demolished in 1949. A small memorial garden was built on the site. The name remains in the Wellington Arcade shopping precinct which now stands on the site.

This is discussed in the book Halifax Pubs.

See Mark Morrell


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Wellington Hotel, HalifaxRef 17-859
14 & 16 New Bank.

Opened in 1844.

This was recorded as a Public Beer house [March 1847].

It was a Ramsden's pub.

The pub closed on 14th August 1968 and was demolished for the Burdock Way development.

This is discussed in the book Halifax Pubs


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1847: William Riley
  • 1901: Shaw Wallis Wilcock
  • 1905: Shaw Wallis Wilcock
  • 1908: William Rawnsley
  • 1919: William Rawnsley
  • 1919: Ernest Greenwood
  • 1933: Ernest Greenwood
  • 1933: Luther Sladdin
  • 1944: Luther Sladdin
  • 1944: William Henry Nicholson
  • 1945: William Henry Nicholson
  • 1945: Charles Ernest Smith
  • 1949: Charles Ernest Smith
  • 1949: John Alfred Hunter
  • 1950: John Alfred Hunter
  • 1950: Rowland Mitchell
  • 1952: Rowland Mitchell
  • 1952: Harry Chadwick
  • 1953: Harry Chadwick
  • 1953: Herbert Richard Hemmings
  • 1956: Herbert Richard Hemmings
  • 1956: Frederick Bye
  • 1957: Frederick Bye
  • 1957: Clarence Barker
  • 1958: Clarence Barker
  • 1958: Harry Donald
  • 1968: Harry Donald

 

Wellington Inn, QueensburyRef 17-1184


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1874: Timothy Briggs

 

Wellington, TodmordenRef 17-503
Halifax Road


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

West Bottom Tavern, NorlandRef 17-490
Hob Lane.

In 1881, this was a row of 3 cottages for workers in the local quarries, the middle one of which was a beer house.

Around 1891, it became a pub.

The name was changed to The Hobbit when the property was restored in 1975.

This is discussed in the book Halifax Pubs

See Watson Mill Lane, Sowerby Bridge


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

West End Hotel, HalifaxRef 17-568
Parkinson Lane.

Aka West End Tavern.

Designed by Petty & Ives. It was built in 1899.

It was a Whitaker pub, and one of their purpose-built pubs.

The pub was originally run as a refreshment house, selling non-alcoholic drinks, because the licence was not granted until October 1901, when Whitaker's offered to surrender the licences of the Horse & Trumpet and the California.

This is discussed in the book Halifax Pubs Volume Two


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1901: William Redfern
  • 1905: William Redfearn
  • 1909: William Redfern
  • 1909: John Exley McKelvin
  • 1931: John Exley McKelvin
  • 1931: William Henry Turner
  • 1936: William Henry Turner
  • 1936: Harold Vinton
  • 1950: Harold Vinton
  • 1950: Alexander Taylor

 

West End Hotel, QueensburyRef 17-1112


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1915: Arthur Ratcliffe
  • 1915: Tom Sanford

 

West End Tavern, Sowerby BridgeRef 17-757
56 West Street.

This was originally a beer house.

The property was recorded as belonging to the executors of Squire Ratcliffe [1903].

Later, it was a Whitaker pub.

The pub closed in 1914.

Mentioned again when the licence was extinct [27th December 1924].

This is discussed in the book Halifax Pubs


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

West Hill, HalifaxRef 17-W227
64 Hanson Lane.

This was originally a beer house at California.

Opened in August 1859 as a tavern selling wines and spirits, with Richard Edmondson as licensee.

On 19th September 1872, smoke from the chimney of the brew-house adjoining the pub was considered a nuisance.

The front of the pub was destroyed when the Hanson Lane bomb fell on 22nd November 1940. 3 customers at the pub – and 8 other people – were killed.

The pub had to be demolished on account of the bomb damage. It reopened in 1950.

The pub closed in 1969 and was finally demolished.

See West End Glee Union and Arthur Watson


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1859: Richard Edmondson
  • 1873: Richard Edmondson
  • 1881: James Pearson Roberts
  • 1887: James Pearson Roberts
  • 1891: Thomas Greenwood
  • 1894: Thomas Greenwood
  • 1896: Councillor Thomas Greenwood
  • 1897: Harry Wilkinson
  • 1900: Harry Wilkinson
  • 1901: Harry James Wilkinson
  • 1903: Harry Wilkinson
  • 1917: Harry Wilkinson
  • 1925: Harry James Wilkinson
  • 1925: Walter John Lingard
  • 1929: Walter John Lingard
  • 1929: Robert Longbottom
  • 1930: Robert Longbottom
  • 1930: Clifford Priestley
  • 1931: Clifford Priestley
  • 1931: Clement Garforth
  • 1945: Clement Garforth
  • 1945: Seth Whitham
  • 1950: Seth Whitham
  • 1950: James Whalley
  • 1952: James Whalley
  • 1952: Harry Dickinson
  • 1955: Harry Dickinson
  • 1955: Leslie Freer
  • 1959: Leslie Freer
  • 1959: Maurice Richardson Garside

 

West Riding Hotel, HalifaxRef 17-860
Fountain Street.

The pub closed in 1865


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

West Vale InnRef 17-1385

West Vale TavernRef 17-1194

West Ward Hotel, HalifaxRef 17-1387
Hanson Lane.

Recorded in 1891, when Mary E. Morton was barmaid here


Question: Could this be the West Ward Liberal Club? or the Westward Tavern, Halifax

 

Western, HalifaxRef 17-1259

Westgate, HalifaxRef 17-337
18 Westgate.

Built by Mr Patterson.

After Patterson's death, John Oldfield Bates lived there.

The house became a pub after Bates's death.

See Town Hall Tavern, Halifax


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Weston Hotel, HalifaxRef 17-758
Abel Street / 2 Lansdowne Place, Pellon Lane.

Aka Western Hotel

This was originally a beer house.

Licensed in 1897.

It was a Fielding pub.

The pub closed in 1967


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1881: William Henry Spencer
  • 1905: George Yates
  • 1910: George Yates
  • 1910: Fred Balmforth
  • 1911: Fred Balmforth
  • 1911: Thomas Wilson
  • 1913: Thomas Wilson
  • 1913: John William King
  • 1935: John William King
  • 1935: Richard Richman Hanson
  • 1936: Richard Richman Hanson
  • 1936: Neville Hawkins
  • 1940: Neville Hawkins
  • 1940: Samuel Atkins
  • 1967: Samuel Atkins

 

Westward Ho, OvendenRef 17-759
Church Mill Lane

Westward Tavern, HalifaxRef 17-760
Aka West Ward Tavern.

Pellon Lane / 83/89 Crossley Terrace.

This was originally a beer house.

Opened in 1897.

Originally owned by Emma Marsden of Brighouse, it was purchased by [Joseph Stocks Company Limited] and became part of the Samuel Webster estate.

The pub closed in October 1969.

This is discussed in the book Halifax Pubs Volume Two.

See John Birtwhistle


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1881: James Pearson Roberts
  • 1903: Samuel Walker
  • 1905: Samuel Walker
  • 1906: William Clough Northrop
  • 1909: William Clough Northrop
  • 1909: William Henry Crapper
  • 1914: William Henry Crapper
  • 1914: Harry Wilson
  • 1916: Harry Wilson
  • 1916: Alfred Harper
  • 1916: William Garbutt
  • 1924: William Garbutt
  • 1924: Eli Priestley
  • 1928: Eli Priestley
  • 1928: Walter Patchett
  • 1930: Walter Patchett
  • 1930: Robert Owen Ashworth
  • 1931: Robert Owen Ashworth
  • 1931: Harry Charnock
  • 1932: Harry Charnock
  • 1932: George Kelly
  • 1932: Samuel Ackroyd
  • 1936: Samuel Ackroyd
  • 1936: Mary Elizabeth Ackroyd
  • 1939: Mary Elizabeth Ackroyd
  • 1939: John Ackroyd
  • 1949: John Ackroyd
  • 1949: Edith Alice Ackroyd
  • 1954: Edith Alice Ackroyd
  • 1954: William Lindsley
  • 1955: William Lindsley
  • 1955: Thomas McCormack
  • 1960: Thomas McCormack
  • 1960: Ernest Frederick Smart
  • 1962: Ernest Frederick Smart
  • 1962: Walter Thompson
  • 1969: Walter Thompson

 

Wharf, BrighouseRef 17-257
Brookfoot. Opened around 1833 for the workers at Brookfoot and Brookfoot Wharf.

It was a Webster's pub.

In 1983, it was acquired by The Fighting Cock group and was renamed The Red Rooster.

This is discussed in the book Halifax Pubs


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Wharf Hotel, Sowerby BridgeRef 17-256
75 Wharf Street.

In August 1897, the licence from the Wharf Inn, Sowerby Bridge was transferred to the Wharf House on the opposite side of Wharf Street.

The new hostelry was known as the Wharf House Hotel.

It was a Brear & Brown pub [1903], then Thomas Brown owned it [1905] then it was a Whitaker pub [1910].

It was later known as the Wharf Hotel

It subsequently became the Ash Tree [1983], the Java ethnic restaurant, and the Village Indonesian/Asian restaurant [2010].

This is discussed in the books Halifax Pubs and Halifax Pubs Volume Two.

It was a Brear & Brown pub [1900]


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1898: Arthur Scholefield
  • 1901: Arthur Scholefield
  • 1904: Arthur Scholefield
  • 1904: Edwin Dransfield
  • 1905: Edwin Dransfield
  • 1905: Thomas Henry Perkins
  • 1906: Thomas Henry Perkins
  • 1906: Tom Swanwick
  • 1908: Tom Swanwick
  • 1908: Arthur Comfort
  • 1910: Arthur Comfort
  • 1910: Leatham Taylor
  • 1928: Leatham Taylor
  • 1928: William Charles Bailey
  • 1930: William Charles Bailey
  • 1930: Joe Whipp
  • 1936: Joe Whipp
  • 1936: Harold Scott
  • 1939: Harold Scott
  • 1939: Teddy Scarth
  • 1945: Teddy Scarth
  • 1945: George William Hilton
  • 1950: George William Hilton

 

Wharf House Hotel Sowerby BridgeRef 17-1263
In August 1897, the licence from the Wharf Inn, Sowerby Bridge was transferred to the Wharf House on the opposite side of Wharf Street. The new hostelry was known as the Wharf House Hotel.

It was later known as the Wharf Hotel

Wharf Inn, Sowerby BridgeRef 17-1023
Formerly the Mermaid, Sowerby Bridge.

This was originally a beer house.

It was a Brear & Brown pub [1896].

In 1897, it was described as one of the oldest licensed houses in the district.

In August 1897, the licence from the Wharf Inn was transferred to the Wharf House on the opposite side of Wharf Street.

The new hostelry was known as the Wharf House Hotel.

It was later known as the Wharf Hotel

It was demolished in 19??. The Wharf Garage now stands on the site.

This is discussed in the book Halifax Pubs Volume Two

See Wharf Inn Family Funeral Brief and Wharf Inn Smoke Club


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Wharf, Sowerby BridgeRef 17-1165
Formerly known as the Commercial, Sowerby Bridge and the Lock Keepers' Tavern, Sowerby Bridge.

In December 2013, J. D. Wetherspoon reopened the pub as The Commercial

Wheat Sheaf, EllandRef 17-258
Church Street / Briggate. Opened in 1824.

It was the property of the Earl of Mexborough [1903].

It was a Bentley & Shaw pub [1930].

It was known as the Three Bonnie Lasses on account of the wife and daughters of the landlord James Clegg.

The pub closed on 28th December 1935 with the extinction of the licence.

See John Edward Briggs and Pablo Fanque


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Wheat Sheaf, OvendenRef 17-765
Or Wheatsheaf


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Wheat Sheaf, PellonRef 17-259
Brackenbed Lane, Mount Pellon.

It was a Webster's pub [1861].

In October 2016, there were proposals to convert the property into 4 dwellings.

This is discussed in the book Halifax Pubs


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1822: Joseph Holdsworth
  • 1845: John Boyd
  • 1861: James Webster
  • 1864: James Webster
  • 1871: James Webster
  • 1874: Bessy Webster
  • 1881: Richard Mallinson
  • 1887: Mrs S. A. Boocock
  • 1890: Edwin Wild
  • 1894: Edwin Wild
  • 1903: Edwin Wild
  • 1905: Edwin Wild
  • 1911: Edwin Wild
  • 1913: Edwin Wild
  • 1913: Thomas Herbert Simpson
  • 1915: Thomas Herbert Simpson
  • 1915: Griffin Oates
  • 1915: Tom Birtwhistle
  • 1917: Tom Birtwhistle
  • 1921: Tom Birtwhistle
  • 1921: John Akroyd
  • 1923: John Akroyd
  • 1923: Albert Foulds
  • 1931: Albert Foulds
  • 1931: Henry Gilbert Royston
  • 1936: Henry Gilbert Royston
  • 1944: Henry Gilbert Royston
  • 1944: Mrs Annie Royston
  • 1961: Mrs Annie Royston
  • 1961: William James Rathorn

 

Wheatley Wells, WheatleyRef 17-298
30 / 106-110 Wheatley Road.

This was originally a beer house in a row of weavers' cottages.

It was a Brear & Brown pub, then it was a Whitaker pub [1916].

It closed in 2009.

This is discussed in the book Halifax Pubs Volume Two.

See Wheatley Wells, Wheatley


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1881: John Greenwood – [aged 34]
  • 1888: John Jack Backhouse
  • 1901: Arthur William Oldfield
  • 1905: Arthur William Oldfield
  • 1911: Arthur William Oldfield
  • 1917: Arthur William Oldfield
  • 1917: Walter Albert Ingle
  • 1924: Walter Albert Ingle
  • 1924: Richard Sweeting
  • 1936: Richard Sweeting
  • 1948: Richard Sweeting
  • 1948: Walter Wight
  • 1952: Walter Wight
  • 1952: Wilfred King
  • 1954: Wilfred King
  • 1954: Stanley Sparks
  • 1957: Stanley Sparks
  • 1957: Fred Jackson
  • 1959: Fred Jackson
  • 1959: Ronald Pearson

 

Wheatsheaf, HalifaxRef 17-260
14 / 18 Market Street.

Built in 1891 as a part of Halifax Borough Market.


Question: The pub is recorded as early as 1816 when Thomas Carver was landlord. Does anyone know anything about the pub between then and 1891 when it was incorporated into the Borough Market? Was it a separate building on the same site?

 

It was a Brear & Brown pub [1913].

Around 1970, the name was changed to William Deighton.

In 199?, it was renamed Portman & Pickles


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1816: Thomas Carver
  • 1822: John Bottomley
  • 1829: John Bottomley
  • 1834: John Bottomley
  • 1837: John Bottomley
  • 1845: Thomas Sutcliffe
  • 1850: Thomas Bottomley Sutcliffe
  • 1864: Thomas Bottomley Sutcliffe
  • 1874: Thomas Bottomley Sutcliffe
  • 1881: Thomas B. Sutcliffe
  • 1887: Samuel Hanson
  • 1891: William Fawcett
  • 1894: John Ambler
  • 189?: John Cockroft Hardman
  • 1905: Modley Foster
  • 1917: George Beaumont
  • 1936: Ferella Proud

 

Wheatsheaf, QueensburyRef 17-1206


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1894: Mrs Emma Fearnley
  • 1941: Wilfred Hartley
  • 1942: Edith Hartley

 

T' Wheel Hoile, Norwood GreenRef 17-982
Aka Old Coley Mill Inn. Opened in 1830.

The pub closed in 192?.

The pub stood near Coley corn mill and, when this fell into disuse, the mill wheel became unsafe and was removed in the 1940s – leaving only the wheel hole.

This is discussed in the book Halifax Pubs.

See Hoile


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Whiskam Dandy, HalifaxRef 17-363
Godley. A house and pub with this name stood at Whiskam Dandy on the top of Bairstow, and displayed a sign:


This is Whiskam Dandy
where we sell good ale and brandy

Whisket, TodmordenRef 17-966
Shade.

This was originally a beer house built by William Fielden.

He was a basket-maker; a whisket is a basket.

The pub closed in 1869

White Bear, HalifaxRef 17-262
11 Cow Green. Opened in 1822.

The pub closed in 1865


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

White Bear, Skircoat GreenRef 17-856
Opened in 1869.

The pub closed in 1869

White Bear, SowerbyRef 17-1333


Question: Could this be the same as the White Bear, Triangle?

 


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1822: James Bates

 

White Bear, TriangleRef 17-261
The Triangle Cricket Club was founded at the pub. The Triangle Reading Society was founded at the pub. The pub was used as a Coroner's Court


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1829: John Bates
  • 1834: Jonas Earnshaw
  • 1845: Mrs Amelia Burley
  • 1861: William Crowther – who was also a blacksmith

 

White Hart, HalifaxRef 17-264
2/34/41/96 Bull Green.

It was a Whitaker pub.

It stood next to (and east of) Scratcherd & Company's premises at Bull Green.

Halifax Corporation bought the building for £9,000.

It was demolished around 1897 when the area was redeveloped and the lines for the new tramway system were laid in Halifax.

This is discussed in the book Halifax Pubs Volume Two.

See Coaches


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

White Hart, HipperholmeRef 17-1253


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1881: William Berry – [aged 45]

 

White Hart, QueensburyRef 17-858
The pub closed in 1926

White Hart, RastrickRef 17-968


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1822: Eli Taylor
  • 1829: Jonathan Howorth
  • 1834: Elijah Smith
  • 1881: William Berry

 

White Hart, SoylandRef 17-666
Dyson Lane / Rochdale Road.

Mid 18th century public house with an older barn dated RWIM 1630. The property was built by the Whiteley family.

Owners and tenants have included

The pub closed in the 1990s.

It is now private housing.

This is discussed in the book Halifax Pubs Volume Two


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

White Hart, TodmordenRef 17-263
Market Place. Originally a farm and outbuildings. In 1728, it was opened as the New Inn by Tamar and John Fielden of Todmorden Hall. John gave the inn and farm to his nephew, Samuel Fielden of Bottomley. Samuel sold the inn at the end of the 18th century, leaving the proceeds to his son, Samuel.

The cattle fair was held at White Hart Fold, and the town market was held at Eccles's Fold in the 19th century. The market later moved to the Royal George, Todmorden.

In the mid-19th century, the Court of Petty Sessions was held at the inn. The court room was reach by a flight of steps up the outside the building, and appearance at court was known as going up Eccles's steps. The court moved to the Queens Hotel in January 1847.

In 1899, the inn was extended.

In 1935, it was demolished and the present 3-storey, mock-Tudor building erected

See Todmorden Botanical Society and Todmorden Market


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

White Horse, HalifaxRef 17-266
33/39 Southgate.

Opened in 1819. In August 1868, under the terms of the Halifax Improvements Acts, the pub applied for, but was refused, a music and dancing licence.

The pub closed and was demolished in 1898.

The present building and shops were erected on the site after Southgate was widened.

The new pub – designed by Jackson & Fox – opened on 24th June 1899


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

White Horse, Hebden BridgeRef 17-269
St George's Square.

Mr Bannister farmed here in the 16th century.

At one time, it was occupied by a Mr Lees and Lees Yard was built in his garden.

In 1786, William Patchett opened an inn here. William built Garden Street in the garden of the inn to link Commercial Street and Bridge Gate and bypass the White Lion which was owned by his brother, Richard.

The Inn was a popular venue for public meetings and inquests.

In the 1800s, it served as parish hall for the parish of Wadsworth.

It was a Whitaker pub [1921].

The inn closed in 1960.

In 1961, the council bought the site for £3500.

It was demolished on 26th November 1962.

It is now a car park.

This is discussed in the book Halifax Pubs Volume Two


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

White Horse Hotel, HeptonstallRef 17-165
Recorded on 14th February 1891, when the Heptonstall Brass Band had a social evening here

White Horse, LightcliffeRef 17-268
Bramley Lane.

It was a Stocks pub [1903], then it was a Webster's pub [1933].

This is discussed in the book Halifax Pubs Volume Two


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

White Horse, LuddendenfootRef 17-569
Spring Gardens / Burnley Road / Friendly.

In 1829, the property was Number 17 Spring Gardens and was owned by Robert Sutcliffe and occupied by George Pickles.

In 1840, a beerhouse is recorded on the site.

The names White House and White Horse are recorded.

The ghost of Elizabeth – wife of landlord James Baldwin – is said to haunt the pub


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

White Horse, NorthowramRef 17-1122
Lands End.

It was built around 1580 / a woolcomber's home [1851] / a beer house [1905] / converted to a private house known as Lands Head [1913]


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1861: John Bland
  • 1871: Benjamin Clegg
  • 1881: William Ambler
  • 1891: Robert Wharton
  • 1901: Herbert Barraclough
  • 1905: Thomas Marston
  • 1913: Thomas Marston

 

White Horse, QueensburyRef 17-1256


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1896: Henry Walker Smith

 

White Horse, RastrickRef 17-1168
46 Rastrick Common.

It was a Whitaker pub [1869].

The pub was up for sale [June 2010].

There were proposals to convert the building into a house [2011].

This is discussed in the book Halifax Pubs Volume Two


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

White Horse, RishworthRef 17-1044
One of a number of cottages in Turner Bottom Row


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1822: Thomas Lumb

 

White Horse, TriangleRef 17-761
Stile.

A beerhouse is recorded here [1851, 1861].

The pub opened in 1865.

It was owned by John Selwyn Rawson [1903].

The pub closed in 1955.

It was demolished in 19??


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

White House, Blackstone EdgeRef 17-208
Stands on the A58 at Blackstone Edge. Formerly known as the Coach & Horses, Blackstone Edge


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 19??: J. Palmer

 

White Lion, EllandRef 17-763
Church Street / Huddersfield Road

It was in the ownership of the executors of T. Beaumont of Elland [1895].

It was a Stocks pub [1898].

The pub closed 18th December 1920.

It is mentioned again in 1924


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1860: James Carter
  • 1881: James Pilling
  • 1901: James Pilling
  • 1899: Sam Stringer
  • 1902: Sam Stringer
  • 1902: Arthur Wilson
  • 1902: Arthur Wilson
  • 1902: Thomas Harrison
  • 1903: Thomas Harrison
  • 1903: John Henry Lumb
  • 1916: John Henry Lumb
  • 1916: Robert Hampshire
  • 1920: Robert Hampshire

 

White Lion, HeptonstallRef 17-274
58 Towngate / Main Street. Early 17th century building. The front was added in the 19th century.

See Grove Brewery, Brearley


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1822: Susan Uttley
  • 1829: Jonas Crook
  • 1834: Jonas Crook
  • 1845: Alice Crook
  • 1861: John Greenwood
  • 1864: John Greenwood
  • 1869: Hinchliffe Booth
  • 1874: George Greenwood
  • 1879: (possibly) Hinchliffe Booth
  • 1894: James Hoyle
  • 1905: Paul Taylor
  • 1917: Paul Taylor

 

White Lion Hotel & Posting House, HalifaxRef 17-271
7 Silver Street. The property was owned by William Ferguson. The pub opened in 1735.

The pub closed in 1882.

The buildings were demolished when Silver Street was redeveloped. H. C. McCrea, the owner, received £8,926 10/- for the property

New premises for Thomas Simpson & Sons Limited were built on the site [1884].

This is discussed in the books the collection of Prints by J. R. Smith and Halifax Pubs.

See Halifax Joint Stock Banking Company and White Lion Yard, Halifax


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1760s: James Murgatroyd
  • 1807: Charles Kershaw
  • 1809: John Jenkinson
  • 1816: John Jenkinson
  • 1822: John Jenkinson
  • 1828: Miss Susan Jenkinson
  • 1834: Miss Susan Jenkinson
  • 1837: Miss Susan Jenkinson
  • 1845: Thomas Crossland
  • 1850: William Adamson
  • 1864: Ruth Adamson
  • 1874: Mrs Ruth Adamson

 

White Lion Hotel & Posting House, Hebden BridgeRef 17-276
Hollins Place / Bridge Gate.

Originally it was a house owned by the King family and known as King's Farm. Dated 1657, it is the oldest building in Hebden Bridge.

It was built to serve the river crossing here.

It had its own brewhouse and livery stables.

It was a public house from the mid-18th century.

At each side of the fireplace there is carved a spiral which was believed to protect the building from harm by fire.

In 1786, it was owned by Richard Patchett, whose brother William owned the White Horse

In 1845, a post office is recorded here.

In July 1897, Whitaker's bought the pub at auction for £6,825, plus 655 yards of land adjoining for 22/- a yard.

Planning applications show that this was a Whitaker pub [March 1902].

This is discussed in the book Halifax Pubs Volume Two.

See Franz Liszt, Old White Lion Society, White Lion Toll Bar, Hebden Bridge and Thomas Wilcock


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

White Lion, IllingworthRef 17-273
Keighley Road.

The cross of the Knights of St John of Jerusalem is carved on the building and appeared on the inn-sign. This has led to the building being recorded as the Illingworth Cross.

In 1841, the White Lion and the Machine Makers' Arms, Illingworth were the venues for a meal when 400 people of the parish celebrated the victory over Napoleon and his exile to Elba.

By the 1920s, it had become 3 houses – owned by the Whitaker family – and occupied by Whitaker's household staff.

Beneath the top house is the beer cellar which was used as an air-raid shelter during World War I.

See Illingworth House and St John's Cross, Illingworth


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

White Lion, LuddendenfootRef 17-764
Friendly.

It was a Halifax Brewery Company pub [1902].

The pub closed in 1948


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

White Lion, MidgleyRef 17-272


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1822: James Greenwood
  • 1845: Abigail Patchett

 

White Lion, MytholmroydRef 17-973
Burnley Road.

On 4th November 1891, Ramsden's bought the pub for £2,260.

See Blue Lion, Mytholmroyd


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

White Lion, OvendenRef 17-1004


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

White Lion, RastrickRef 17-275
23/25 Bridge End. The pub stood between Star, Rastrick and the railway viaduct.

It was a Halifax Brewery Company pub.

The pub closed on 14th February 1908.

A house was built on the site [2003].

This is discussed in the book Halifax Pubs


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1834: Jonas Wilkinson
  • 1845: Jonas Wilkinson
  • 1859: Leah Wilkinson
  • 1860: Samuel Wilkinson – who was a farmer
  • 1861: Samuel Wilkinson
  • 1891: John Marshall
  • 1900: F. Tattersall
  • 1901: Thomas Malehane
  • 1901: Thomas Naylor
  • 1902: Henry Abbot
  • 1903: Sam Brooks
  • 1904: Gibson Wade
  • 1905: Joseph [Josias?] Bailey

 

White Lion, RastrickRef 17-931
Clough House.

See Clough House Inn, Rastrick and Clough House, Rastrick


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

White Lion, Sowerby BridgeRef 17-762
123 Bolton Brow Opened in 1875.

The pub closed in 1920.

It is mentioned again in 1924.

It closed in ????.

This is discussed in the book Halifax Pubs


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

White Lion, TodmordenRef 17-1187
190 Rochdale Road


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1917: John William Sutherland

 

White Lion, TodmordenRef 17-948
Butcher Hill / Bridge End, Wadsworth Mill.

The pub closed in 1961 Aka Grinning Dog and Guerning Dog


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

White Lion, WarleyRef 17-393
Water Hill Lane. Opened in 1902.

The pub closed on 31st December 1948


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1905: John Lumb

 

White Swan, BrighouseRef 17-371
Bradford Road / Commercial Street.

It was Denham's Tobacconists. It became a pub in 18??.

In August 1877, Webster's bought the pub from William Monks.

At the Brewster sessions in 1903, the police objected to renewal of the licences of this pub, the Anchor, Brighouse and the Black Swan, Brighouse, on account of the publican

habitually employing professional female musicians

The licence was renewed on the understanding that no female vocalists be employed and that no female pianist under the age of 21 be taken on.

It closed in 199?

It became a branch of Lloyds Bank.

This is discussed in the book Halifax Pubs Volume Two


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1891: Ralph Bostock
  • 1898: Allan Marsden
  • 1901: Ira Ackroyd
  • 1904: H. R. Tallboys
  • 1905: E. Greenwood
  • 1912: H. E. Wilkinson
  • 1914: John Gledhill
  • 1915: J. W. Haigh
  • 1916: Fred Marsden
  • 1922: Fred Marsden
  • 19??: Mrs Marsden
  • 193?: Thomas Edward Healey
  • 19??: Aggie Cockcroft

 

White Swan, Hebden BridgeRef 17-279
This stands by the Old Bridge and was originally called the Bridge End. It was built in the 1770s.

On 11th September 1896, an

alarming explosion of gas

occurred in the snug at the Hotel, after a serving girl, Elizabeth Mary Bowden of Manchester, lit a match in her search for a gas leak. She and Samuel Dawson, the landlord, were badly burnt in the incident.

This is discussed in the book Halifax Pubs


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1822: Sarah Thomas
  • 1825: William Appleyard
  • 1829: Mrs Thomas
  • 1834: Sarah Thomas
  • 1845: William Thomas
  • 1861: William Whitaker
  • 1864: William Whitaker
  • 1874: James Horsfall
  • 1887: Thomas Horsfall
  • 1894: Harry Heap
  • 1896: Samuel Dawson
  • 1901: Samuel Dawson
  • 1905: James Henry Crabtree
  • 1906: James E. Crabtree
  • 1914: William Crabtree
  • 1917: John Crossley
  • 2012: Elizabeth Wood

 

White Swan, HeptonstallRef 17-232

White Swan, HipperholmeRef 17-1147


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

White Swan, HolmfieldRef 17-278
Aka the Swan Inn, Holdsworth.

15 Holdsworth Road / Lower Well Lane, Ovenden.

Opened in 1759.

It was a Webster's pub when they bought it from John Henry Wadsworth [1878].

The pub closed in 1971.

This is discussed in the book Halifax Pubs Volume Two


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

White Swan Hotel, HalifaxRef 17-W238
Princess Street.

See Halifax Permanent Benefit Building Society offices

White Swan Inn & Posting House, HalifaxRef 17-277
31-35 Crown Street.

White Swan, LuddendenRef 17-23
The pub was renamed the Lord Nelson Inn after the Battle of Trafalgar [1805]

White Swan, RippondenRef 17-1141
Formerly the Waggon & Horses.

It was known as Ye Olde White Swan Hotel [1915].

Part of the building was used by D. Crossley as a barber's shop.

Around 1940, the West Riding Constabulary police station was in the building.

It became The Fox.

This is discussed in the book Halifax Pubs Volume Two


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Whitegate, Stoney RoydRef 17-857
The pub closed in 1870

Whitehall, HipperholmeRef 17-W216
Or White Hall Inn.

Stands on the Leeds Road at the Hipperholme crossroads.

Built in the late 18th century. Took its name from nearby White Hall House. The inn gives its name to the Whitehall Road to Leeds.

It was a Stocks pub [1914].

The Southowram Annual Subscription Concert was held here in 18??.

On 16th July 1854, John Ramsden of Greetland challenged John Mallinson of Norland to a pigeon-shooting match. James Tasker of the Whitehall Inn would accept the stakes.

In 1869, the trustees of Rev William Wilkinson sold the house to Major Stocks of Stocks for £1,225.

It was a Stocks pub.

This is discussed in the book Halifax Pubs.

In August 2012, the pub was closed and up for sale.

See Hipperholme Local Board


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Who Could A' Thowt It, BrighouseRef 17-1366
Elland Road.

On 10th June 1870, the Masons' Arms, Brighouse changed its name to Who Could A' Thowt It

See Who could a' thowt it, Southowram

Who could a' thowt it, SouthowramRef 17-W140
Formerly Clough Head Cottage at Clough Head, Sunny Bank Lane in the Walterclough Valley.

Aka Who would a thowt it, Ba gum who'd a' thowt it, and Ba gum who wad a' thowt it.

The pub is recorded in the 1860s.

On 27th May 1898, it was bought by James Alderson, and became one of his first tied houses. Planning applications show that this was an Alderson pub [December 1903].

It became a Ramsden house.

It is said that there was a passage between the cellars of the pub and the adjacent cottage. This provided a quick escape for illegal drinkers.

The pub closed on 27th December 1933, but continued to sell light refreshments.

It finally closed and, from 1941, it fell into a state of disrepair.

The building was demolished and the stone and roof slates went into the rebuilding of Coventry after World War II.

This is discussed in the books Halifax Pubs and Our Home & Country.

See Who could a' thowt it, Brighouse


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Whole Hog, HalifaxRef 17-570
The name of the Causeway Foot, Ogden for a time

Wild's Temperance Hotel, TodmordenRef 17-1265
A name for the Central Commercial Temperance Hotel when it was run by Walter Wild [1900, 1905]

William Broad, HalifaxRef 17-280
Carlton Street.


Question: There is some uncertainty about this pub: on one source, it is listed as the William Broad with John Cadney in charge, and on another, it is the Board with William Cadney. Both references are for 1837. Can anyone clarify the situation?

Does anyone know who William Board was?

 


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

William Deighton, HalifaxRef 17-1280
Around 1970, the name of the Wheatsheaf, Halifax was changed to William Deighton, for William Deighton, the exciseman who was murdered by the coiners.

In 199?, it was renamed Portman & Pickles

William the 4th, HalifaxRef 17-297
93 King Cross Road.

This was originally a beer house

It was a Ramsden pub.


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1894: James Garside
  • 1905: James Garside
  • 1911: George Wood
  • 1917: George Wood
  • 1917: Tom Harrison
  • 1917: John Thomas Harrison
  • 1921: John Thomas Harrison
  • 1921: Harry Stansfield
  • 1936: Harry Stansfield
  • 1948: Harry Stansfield
  • 1948: Leonard Hilton
  • 1956: Leonard Hilton
  • 1956: Roy Main

 

William the 4th, Sowerby BridgeRef 17-332
80 Wharf Street.

This was originally a beer house.

Planning applications show that this was a Brear & Brown pub [October 1893].

It was a Whitaker pub [1933].

It stands almost opposite to the Wharf.

In 2011, it had a facelift and is now called William 5 or Williams.

This is discussed in the book Halifax Pubs


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Windmill Court Country House HotelRef 17-1098
Formerly the Goose Inn, Ogden

Windmill, NorthowramRef 17-330
1 Park Square / The Hough.

This was originally a beer house.

On June 27th 1852, Bell's London Life & Sporting Chronicle announced

a game of knur & spell with William Scott, Simeon Best, John Kay, Squire Webster, Simon Ambler, James Foster, John Naylor, John Robinson, and Charles Naylor (all Northowram men). Stakes were to be sent to the Windmill Tavern

Windmill Hill Brewery, Northowram,

The pub has subsequently been as

  • Jack's Bar
  • The Forth Bridge [2017]

This is discussed in the book Halifax Pubs Volume Two


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1905: John Henry Priestley
  • 1910: John Henry Priestley
  • 1910: Samuel Noble
  • 1912: Samuel Noble
  • 1912: John James Chadwick
  • 1914: John James Chadwick
  • 1914: Edwin Bottomley Wilkinson
  • 1927: Edwin Bottomley Wilkinson
  • 1927: Elijah Trudgill
  • 1935: Elijah Trudgill
  • 1935: Edgar Hammond
  • 1939: Edgar Hammond
  • 1939: Joseph Wainwright
  • 1945: Joseph Wainwright
  • 1945: Stanley Edward Allen
  • 1948: Stanley Edward Allen
  • 1948: Charles H Smith
  • 1951: Charles H Smith
  • 1951: Arthur Harper Daniels
  • 1952: Arthur Harper Daniels
  • 1952: Horace Harrison
  • 1954: Horace Harrison
  • 1954: Milford Bannister
  • 1957: Milford Bannister
  • 1957: Bernard Francis Riley
  • 1958: Bernard Francis Riley
  • 1958: Lewis Barnes

 

Windmill, ShelfRef 17-386
Stanage Lane.

The present building of 1897 may have replaced an earlier one.

The name is first recorded when Tom Woodford was a beerseller here [1891] .

The Inn was built in 1897 [?].

It is named for the mill at Windmill Mill, Shelf.

An extension by Joseph Frederick Walsh – in which he used turned stone – is now a function room. It was a Fielding pub

This is discussed in the book Halifax Pubs Volume Two


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1881: Sargent Priestley
  • 1886: Tom Woodford
  • 1909: Tom Woodford
  • 1909: John White
  • 1918: John White
  • 1918: Edwin Briggs
  • 1918: Edwin Briggs
  • 1918: Emily Briggs
  • 1919: Emily Briggs
  • 1919: Amon Wood
  • 1928: Amon Wood
  • 1928: Harry Ackroyd
  • 1938: Harry Ackroyd
  • 1938: Raymond Fielding
  • 1941: Raymond Fielding
  • 1941: John Edward Fairbank
  • 1951: John Edward Fairbank
  • 1951: Leslie Fairbank
  • 1961: Leslie Fairbank
  • 1961: Jeremiah McNully

 

Wine Pipe, Sowerby BridgeRef 17-445
Elland


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1834: Joe Burley

 

Winterburn, WarleyRef 17-1079
Winterburn Lane. Originally called the Masons' Arms.

In 2005, Robert Mattock and Stuart Smith became tenants of the pub. They later stripped the contents and shipped them to Cyprus where they opened the Winterburn bar in Paphos.

In 2008, Mattock was jailed for 8 months, and Smith was given a suspended sentence and a community work order


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 2005: Robert Mattock & Stuart Smith

 

Withens Hotel, WainstallsRef 17-W311
Or Withins.

Built as a farm in 1862.

This was a beer house [1864].

It stands 1,392 ft above sea-level.

It was the highest pub in West Yorkshire, until 1974 when county boundary changes brought the Tan Hill pub – at 1,732 ft – from Durham into Yorkshire.

A stone in a field near the pub marks the graves of two greyhounds – Wallet and Dart – who were drowned in Thornton Conduit in 1891.

On 3rd October 1928, it was sold at auction for £725.

In 2001, the pub was badly damaged by fire.

In 2002, there were plans to turn the pub into a private house, and a tea room during the summer months. The pub closed in 200? and was converted into private dwellings

See The Millennium Beacon, Wainstalls


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Wolf, LuddendenRef 17-3125
Built in 1653.

In the early 18th century, the Inn was said to be a rendezvous for army recruiting officers.

Local legend says that, in 1745, Janet, a Scottish maid at the Inn gave sanctuary to a soldier from Bonnie Prince Charlie's army who was being pursued by the English army after defeat in battle.

In 1877, the property was acquired by the Luddenden Co-operative Society.

The Luddenden Working Men's Club & Institute was here from 1880 until 1946.

Astin Brothers used the building.

The building was demolished in 1959.

This is discussed in the books Halifax Antiquarian Society Transactions and Halifax Pubs

Wood Mill, StainlandRef 17-281
Eastwood


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1845: James Dugdale

 

Wood Mill, TodmordenRef 17-936
Bottoms, Stansfield. Built around 182?

See Edward Crossley


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1822: Rd. Horsfall
  • 1845: James Dugdale
  • 1861: James Dugdale

 

Wood Turners', WarleyRef 17-855
Opened in 1869.

The pub closed in 1869

Woodcock, HalifaxRef 17-469
Gibbet Street. Originally the Bowling Green, Halifax

Woodcock, WalsdenRef 17-944
It opened in 1825? and stood near to what is now the Bell Holme sports field.

In 1891, it became the Bell's Arms.

The pub closed in 19??.

See William Law


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Woodhead Tavern, ColeyRef 17-766
Woodhead. In August 1903, the property – then described as a beerhouse – was sold to Brear & Brown


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1881: Joseph Wilkinson
  • 1904: William McCrea
  • 1933: Clara & John Dove

 

Woodland Hotel, BoothtownRef 17-767
40 Boothtown Road. Opened in 1879. They had a brewing facility on Iona Street.

It was a Webster's pub.

It became the Woodland Tavern.

The pub closed in February 1971.

This is discussed in the book Halifax Pubs Volume Two


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1891: Frederick Washington
  • 1905: Alfred Webster
  • 1907: Alfred Webster
  • 1907: Martha Ann Webster
  • 1917: Martha Ann Webster
  • 1917: Shaw Wallis Wilcock
  • 1919: Lavinia Wilcock
  • 1919: Shaw Wallis Wilcock
  • 1919: Harold Wilson
  • 1924: Harold Wilson
  • 1924: Lewis James Mitchell
  • 1932: Lewis James Mitchell
  • 1932: Thomas Daniel Lamb
  • 1936: Thomas Daniel Lamb
  • 1942: Thomas Daniel Lamb
  • 1942: Michael John Waldrow
  • 1955: Michael John Waldrow
  • 1955: John Ryan
  • 1960: John Ryan

 

Woodland Tavern, BoothtownRef 17-1305
A later name of the Woodland Hotel

Woodlands Hotel, RastrickRef 17-353
River Street / Birds Royd. Opened in 18??.

Recorded in 1884.

The pub closed in 2001. Reopened in 200?.

Closed in July 2006

See John Tye


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1882: John Woodhouse
  • 1884: Edward Heaton
  • 1887: Henry Moore
  • 1911: Albert Brown
  • 1917: Fred Tattersall

 

Woodlands, NorthowramRef 17-282


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1845: George Mansfield

 

Woodman, BrighouseRef 17-375
Purlwell, Elland Road, Brookfoot. Stood at the entrance to the road leading to Brookfoot Mill.

Planning applications show that this was a Halifax Brewery Company pub [July 1898].

The pub was declared redundant in 1938 and closed on 11th April 1940.

This is discussed in the book Halifax Pubs


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Woodman, HalifaxRef 17-284
29 Silver Street. Formerly the Duke Wellington.

This is discussed in the book Halifax Pubs


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1834: William Crowther
  • 1845: Susanna Clegg
  • 1850: George Hudson
  • 1859: Benjamin Swallow
  • 1861: James Gaukroger
  • 1864: Nathan Walker Schofield
  • 1871: James Jowett
  • 1874: William Crossley

 

Woodman, Hebden BridgeRef 17-34
Built about 1830.

When it was rebuilt in 1820, it incorporated the Nudger Inn.

The pub closed in 199?. There are plans to build houses on the site


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Woodman, Hebden BridgeRef 17-862
Charlestown / Booth Hill. Opened in 1843.

In June 1860, the Inn was sold at Auction to B. Platt of Midgehole for £460.

The pub closed on 31st December 1949.

See Todmorden & District Carriage Company


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Woodman, HipperholmeRef 17-863
Wood Head. Opened in 1904.

The pub closed in 1932

Woodman Inn, StansfieldRef 17-1262


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Woodman, LuddendenfootRef 17-468
Burnley Road. Opened in 1902.

The property is recorded as having 6 rooms [1911].

It was a Ramsden pub.

The pub closed in 1936. It was converted into 2 cottages.

These were demolished in the 1960s when property on Burnley Road was cleared.

This is discussed in the book Halifax Pubs Volume Two.

See Luddendenfoot Post Office


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Woodman, MidgleyRef 17-283
Booth.

The pub closed in 1949


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Woodman, TodmordenRef 17-950
Underbank


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1841: Luke Horsfall
  • 1845: Thomas Dearden
  • 1891: Susan Lumb

 

Woodnook, Sowerby BridgeRef 17-329
Victoria Avenue.

This was originally Sowerby Bridge Vicarage.

It closed in 19??. It was demolished in 200?

Woodpecker, TodmordenRef 17-328
Rochdale Road, Shade.

This was originally a beer house


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Wool Merchant, HalifaxRef 17-771
King Street / Mulcture Hall Road. Originally, the wool warehouse of H. Holdsworth.

It was converted into a hotel in 19??

Woolpack, HalifaxRef 17-285
28 / 32 Woolshops.

In August 1868, under the terms of the Halifax Improvements Acts, the pub applied for, and was granted, a music and dancing licence.

It was a Webster's pub [1905].

When the pub closed, the licence was transferred to The New Talbot.

The inn was demolished in 1931 during redevelopment of Woolshops


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Woolpack, Sowerby BridgeRef 17-1110
58 West Street / Foundry Street.

Planning applications show that this was a Webster pub [April 1918].

The pub closed in 1958.

The building was derelict for a time and eventually demolished.

The site is now [2014] empty.

This is discussed in the book Halifax Pubs


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Woolsorters' Arms, HalifaxRef 17-1313
Chapeltown.

This was originally a beer house


Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

 

Works, Sowerby BridgeRef 17-1067
Hollins Mill Lane. Opened about 2005.

It closed suddenly in 2016

Wyke Lion, WykeRef 17-472
Formerly Ruby's at Hellfire crossroads

Wynn Inn, Hebden BridgeRef 17-1240
A 16th century name for the Fox & Goose, Hebden Bridge


A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z


© Malcolm Bull 2019
Revised 20:29 /21st August 2019 / p200_w / 226173

search tips advanced search
site search by freefind

web counter