St John the Baptist, Coley

Old Photographs



A collection of photographs of St John the Baptist, Coley kindly loaned by the Vicar and Churchwardens

Some views of Coley Church

This image [RMM17.JPG] was kindly submitted by Rob Mitchell

The East Window and the 2 Pulpits before the alterations of 1901/1902

[Dated between 1892 and 1900]

This image [RMM1.JPG] was kindly submitted by Peter Manning & the Officers of Coley Church

The West Gallery with the Organ.

Note the box pews and the oil lamps. The Ladies' Vestry had not yet been built

[Taken before 1900]

This image [RMM2.JPG] was kindly submitted by Peter Manning & the Officers of Coley Church

The East Window

Note the box pews, the oil lamps and the narrow arch to the Sanctuary. The side galleries can just be seen

[Taken before 1900]

This image [RMM3.JPG] was kindly submitted by Peter Manning & the Officers of Coley Church

The East Window.

Note the oil lamps and the organ

[Taken after 1902]

This image [RMM4.JPG] was kindly submitted by Peter Manning & the Officers of Coley Church

The East Window and the Church is decorated for Harvest Festival (1st October 19??). Gas lighting has been installed. New choir stall have been installed. New pews replace the older box pews. The Sanctuary Arch had been widened

[Taken after 1902]

This image [RMM6.JPG] was kindly submitted by Peter Manning & the Officers of Coley Church

The Altar with the Communion Plate

This image [RMM7.JPG] was kindly submitted by Peter Manning & the Officers of Coley Church

Coley Church Cricket Team.

The Church Vestry is in the background

[Taken about 1938]

This image [RMM8.JPG] was kindly submitted by Peter Manning & the Officers of Coley Church

The Organ which was installed in 1941.

The Processional Cross shown here was stolen in 19??, along with the Altar Cross and Candleholders

This image [RMM9.JPG] was kindly submitted by Peter Manning & the Officers of Coley Church

The Altar.

The carving by Harry Percy Jackson was done in 1941/1942

This image [RMM10.JPG] was kindly submitted by Peter Manning & the Officers of Coley Church

The East End.

The Ladies' Vestry stands on the north side of the Choir

[Taken between 1942 and 1953]

This image [RMM11.JPG] was kindly submitted by Peter Manning & the Officers of Coley Church

The East End decorated for Harvest Festival (1st October 19??).

Note the wallpaper in the Sanctuary. The small east windows have not yet been installed

This image [RMM12.JPG] was kindly submitted by Peter Manning & the Officers of Coley Church

The East End showing the Oak Carving of the corner table and in the Sanctuary.

Note the Organ and Children's Corner The 2 small east windows have been installed

[Taken between 1942 and 1953]

This image [RMM13.JPG] was kindly submitted by Peter Manning & the Officers of Coley Church

The model of Coley Church made by John Northend

[Taken in 1957]

This image [RMM14.JPG] is taken from The Brighouse Echo

Coley Church as seen from the old Coley Vicarage.

The Malt Shovel – later the Chapel House – can be seen to the right of the Church

This image [RMM15.JPG] was kindly submitted by Peter Manning & the Officers of Coley Church

The Font and the Oak Memorial Cover.

This was removed when the west end of the Church was re-ordered

This image [RMM16.JPG] was kindly submitted by Peter Manning & the Officers of Coley Church

The East End showing the East Window, the Choir Stalls and the carpet

This image [RMM18.JPG] was kindly submitted by Peter Manning & the Officers of Coley Church

Coley Church from Coley Hall Lane

This image [RMM19.JPG] was kindly submitted by Peter Manning & the Officers of Coley Church

The East Window and the 2 small windows.

Note the Nave and Chancel are not yet carpetted, The Litany Desk stands by the Chancel Steps

This image [RMM20.JPG] was kindly submitted by Peter Manning & the Officers of Coley Church



© Malcolm Bull 2018
Revised 15:43 /15th March 2018 / ph2494 / 18641

search tips advanced search
site search by freefind

web counter