When he was Mayor of Halifax, John Crossley bought old properties in the Northgate area – costing over £100,000 – for the purpose of clearing and rebuilding part of the old town.
The area around the present Town Hall, including Princess Street, Crossley Street, Halifax Mechanics' Institute, the White Swan Hotel were constructed during considerable town redevelopment which took place in 1851.
Princess Street was named in honour of Princess Alexandra of Denmark whose husband – the Prince of Wales – opened Halifax Town Hall in 1863.
The occupants of the properties here have included
See Princess Buildings, Halifax and White Swan Hotel
Page Ref: QQ_102
|site search by freefind