Dr Bogdan Edward Jastrzębski Edwards MBE was born in Halifax. Son of Stephen L. Jastrzębski.
He was born Bogdan Edward Jastrzębski and changed his surname to Edwards.
He studied medicine at Edinburgh University, and qualified in 1884.
He served for a period as a house surgeon at the Halifax Infirmary.
He was a medical practitioner in Brighouse by 1887, where he was in partnership with Dr Frederick Fielding Bond. He later set up his own practice at 138 Elland Road, Brighouse  and 46 Bradford Road, Brighouse [1901, 1911]. He was involved with the St John's Ambulance Brigade, Brighouse.
He served with the Local Government Medical Service . He was Medical Officer of Health for Southowram , and for Brighouse, Clifton, Hartshead and Southowram Parishes .
During World War I, he was closely involved with establishing military hospitals at Boothroyd and Longroyde, of which he had oversight. His wife served as Matron at these establishments. He was awarded the MBE for his devoted service in this connection .
He was involved with the Boys' Brigade movement in Brighouse, and he kept up this connection to the end of his life. He was also concerned with the Boy Scout movement in Brighouse, and was one of the earliest Scout leaders.
He was Master of Brighouse [No 1301] Masonic Lodge and studied Masonic history in depth.
After his death, a memorial booklet entitled Masonic Secrets and the Antient Mysteries was produced by Vaughan Bateson. Rudyard Kipling was a subscriber to this limited-edition publication.
He was an accomplished linguist, and an authority on old world civilisations. He was a student of old Assyrian and Hindu records. He was interested in Ancient Egypt and gave talks on the subject. He translated many records from hieroglyphics into modern languages.
He and his wife were interested in the occult, and were members of the Theosophical Society. He was a praemostrator of the Horus Temple, and his wife was a member of the Golden Dawn temple, in Bradford. In 1891, he and his brother, Louis Stanley, were founder members of the Bradford Theosophical Society.
In [Q3] 1887, he married Henrietta Palmer [1862-1946] of Waterhouse Street, Halifax, in Halifax.
The family lived at
He died after a short illness [23rd February 1923] (aged 63).
Members of the family were buried at Brighouse Cemetery [D C 190]
Page Ref: QQ_177
|site search by freefind|