Christ's Chapel, Elland



In 1862, it was decided to build a new chapel to supersede the earlier Elland Unitarian Chapel where the last Minister had been Rev James Matthias Dixon.

On 5th June 1866, the new chapel opened. It had accommodation for 160 worshippers. The schoolroom had accommodation for 100 children.

Ministers at the Chapel included

In 1911, it was decided to close the chapel. Services continued with the horse-drawn Unitarian Van Mission until 1914.

From 1925, the building was used by the Salvation Army.

Around 1955, there was a youth group here called Joy Hour.

The building was converted into business premises [2000]




© Malcolm Bull 2021
Revised 10:45 / 22nd December 2021 / 3420

Page Ref: QQ_18

search tips advanced search
site search by freefind